Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 276

post #4126 of 6970
I just bought the small HIFIMAM amp and I am using the stock tubes. I prefer this to the to the Asgard 1. Right now I have to maintain two residences, so have the vali on order. I am expecting a similar performance
post #4127 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by besi View Post

Amazon has it on sale for $99 ! ordered one ,can't wait to try it.

I pulled the trigger here as well.  Hopefully works out great.  They had the Fidelio X1 too, but that deal was not smokin like this one!

post #4128 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsktsk View Post

I pulled the trigger here as well.  Hopefully works out great.  They had the Fidelio X1 too, but that deal was not smokin like this one!

I got up early for the X1 deal,but yeah for 170$ wasn't a good deal ,i was hoping $100.
Im more than happy ,i got the hd598 for $99, awesome deal.smily_headphones1.gif
Now im on the lookout for the fidelio X2
post #4129 of 6970

Guys, is removing the 598 earpads in the same manner as with for example a HD600? I don't want to unnecessarily stress it.

post #4130 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post
 

Guys, is removing the 598 earpads in the same manner as with for example a HD600? I don't want to unnecessarily stress it.


Not too sure myself, but I have removed the ear pads. Basically they are on a solid ring that snaps in place. Gently pry up and out from the inside with one finger (usually the top or bottom works best) until one section pops out, and the rest just pulls off easy.

 

:beerchug:

post #4131 of 6970
Yes! Just top and bottom force indeed detaches the ring and earpad from the cup. This baby needs cleaning!

Thanks man smily_headphones1.gif
post #4132 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post

Yes! Just top and bottom force indeed detaches the ring and earpad from the cup. This baby needs cleaning!

Thanks man smily_headphones1.gif


No problem. Just watch out for hairs getting on the driver (or any debris) as it will cause rattle/distortion.

 

:beerchug:

post #4133 of 6970

Ya, but in normal circumstances the black fabric should keep any rubbish out.

post #4134 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post
 

Ya, but in normal circumstances the black fabric should keep any rubbish out.


I thought that about my DT 770 Pro's, and wow thankfully there was another barrier of white fabric on the grille because it looked like under a car seat.  The previous owner was a slob. Just saying be careful because you don't want to compromise their wonderful sound.

 

:beerchug:

post #4135 of 6970
Hey guys, I recently became HD598 owners club member (got it for 100 on black friday) and I'm intereated in your recommendations for shorter aftermarket cables. I'm just looking for something more manageable lengthwise preferably with 3,5 mm jack smily_headphones1.gif
post #4136 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihontoman View Post

Hey guys, I recently became HD598 owners club member (got it for 100 on black friday) and I'm intereated in your recommendations for shorter aftermarket cables. I'm just looking for something more manageable lengthwise preferably with 3,5 mm jack smily_headphones1.gif


Read a page or two back. You can pick up this cable, 1M long and has the 3.5mm with adapter, for $20 on eBay or Amazon. This one is black, but they are actually a burgundy red.

 

 

:beerchug:

post #4137 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansaku View Post
 


Read a page or two back. You can pick up this cable, 1M long and has the 3.5mm with adapter, for $20 on eBay or Amazon. This one is black, but they are actually a burgundy red.

 

 

:beerchug:

 

 

thanks for the reply. saw your impressions on them. they seem good enough for 16-17$ and the color seems like a nice fit for the HD598.

post #4138 of 6970

hello

made an account to ask this because I've googled and I can't find a clear answer

 

I've had my HD 598's for a few months now and I want to use them on my PC

however, currently they sound absolutely terrible on my PC

I assume it's my motherboards (maximus V gene) built in sound

 

 

so would I need a dedicated sound card/amp/DAC?

I saw in a previous post someone mention the schiit magni

would that be all I need?

 

 

 

 

lol I want to get rid of this icon


Edited by youchew - 12/1/14 at 12:13am
post #4139 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by youchew View Post
hello

made an account to ask this because I've googled and I can't find a clear answer

 

I've had my HD 598's for a few months now and I want to use them on my PC

however, currently they sound absolutely terrible on my PC

I assume it's my motherboards (maximus V gene) built in sound

 

so would I need a dedicated sound card/amp/DAC?

I saw in a previous post someone mention the schiit magni

would that be all I need?

 

It depends on what you mean by "sounds terrible". It could also be that you don't like the sound of the headphones, in which case neither a DAC or amp will do much.

 

An amp won't provide any benefit if you don't also add an external DAC to your computer. Internal sound cards are terrible for hi-fi audio purposes. At a minimum you should get the Schiit Modi along with the Magni.

post #4140 of 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by youchew View Post
 

hello

made an account to ask this because I've googled and I can't find a clear answer

 

I've had my HD 598's for a few months now and I want to use them on my PC

however, currently they sound absolutely terrible on my PC

I assume it's my motherboards (maximus V gene) built in sound

 

 

so would I need a dedicated sound card/amp/DAC?

I saw in a previous post someone mention the schiit magni

would that be all I need?

 

 

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet.

 

The Senn HD-598s are easy to drive, so you don't *need* an external DAC/amp for these. If your PC sound card is that terrible, try just plugging your new 'phones into your smartphone and playing some music from there and see if you like the sound. Take some time to acclimate to the sound with music you really like, before spending more money.

 

For myself, I use the 598s at work with a MacBook Pro into a DragonFly USB DAC and a FiiO E11K amp. Sounds nice, I think, for the money. The Magni/Modi stack is a popular recommendation on Head-Fi, so you can't go wrong, but don't expect miracles.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread