Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 266

post #3976 of 3983
When i listen to music through cx300ii the music sound loud, crisp and fun whereas from the 598's the music sounds quiet and boring. Maybe they are like that and i am sure that they are not fake might be defective but there is no distortion or anything i even played them at full volume on the x5 to check them out and they had no problem. I don't really listen to loud music but for the 598s i have to increase the volume to be able to hear and enjoy the music. What i don't understand is that at the same volume as cx300ii and beats studio why do the 598 sound quieter is it because these are open headphones?
post #3977 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexusdude View Post

When i listen to music through cx300ii the music sound loud, crisp and fun whereas from the 598's the music sounds quiet and boring. Maybe they are like that and i am sure that they are not fake might be defective but there is no distortion or anything i even played them at full volume on the x5 to check them out and they had no problem. I don't really listen to loud music but for the 598s i have to increase the volume to be able to hear and enjoy the music. What i don't understand is that at the same volume as cx300ii and beats studio why do the 598 sound quieter is it because these are open headphones?

Also maybe cause the drivers for the HD598 are further from the ear, also they are home headphones that terminate to a large 6.3mm jack so they are expected to be driven off something a little bit more powerful. 
They also have an impedance of 50ohms with a 250 ohm spike at ~100hz.
Also i think you find them boring because they are really neutral, not that much punch in the bass, tame sounding and not too much sparkle in the highs, just a mellow, spacious sound with sweet mids.

About the quiet part maybe its cause as you said they are open, and also that the soundstage is not to aggressive in its presentation.

Amplification (eg like from a tube amp) can help increase the fullness of the low ends though due to the impedance spike at 100hz.

post #3978 of 3983

They are TOTALLY different to what you are used to.  Give them time to grow on you, trust me.  It took me a while to like these cans and I nearly sold them (I came from Grados at the time), but now they indispensible to me.  It took me weeks/months.  Maybe burn in changed things too, because they sound SO different ot me now than my memory of first hearing them.

post #3979 of 3983

Starting to miss my HD598's. Picked up the HS-500's and I just don't use them as much, whereas I used the 598's quite a bit.

post #3980 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by eth3rton View Post
 

Starting to miss my HD598's. Picked up the HS-500's and I just don't use them as much, whereas I used the 598's quite a bit.


I guess you meant HE-500s, right?

 

I just traded away my HE-500s and already making plans to replace them... I love them, but use them with either the Sony PHA-1 DAC/amp (portable, decodes iPod Lightening connector digital for its own DAC) or the FiiO E12.

 

And I have the HD598s, which I tried long and hard before trading away my HE-500s and convinced myself that they came darn close to the sound quality, esp. bass and transparency, as the HE-500s, to tide me over!

post #3981 of 3983

Yup, sorry HE-500's. I think I am gonna sell them in search of the perfect headset - if that exists. :etysmile:

post #3982 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by eth3rton View Post
 

Yup, sorry HE-500's. I think I am gonna sell them in search of the perfect headset - if that exists. :etysmile:

If you liked the 598's, try the 6xx series, I did and I could not be happier. 

post #3983 of 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
 

If you liked the 598's, try the 6xx series, I did and I could not be happier. 

 

I upgraded from HD598 to HD700 and the difference is bigger than I thought. Some songs even sound completely different because of the higher resolution and lower bass extension. Thanks to all the hyperbolic reviews knocking the HD700 for its treble spike, these sets can be had for cheap these days if you look around. I picked it up for less than 500 EUR including a free set of IE60. The notorious spike is all in all exaggerated, -4dB EQ around 6K is enough to tame it. Amazing value for money.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread