or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 242

post #3616 of 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


hmm... I've heard the exact opposite, that k702 has a smaller soundstage compared to 598, but my point, have you tried both for comparison? If you haven't, then don't trust people online. I myself prefer akg over sennheiser, but no two people have exactly the same tastes, so don't take my word as the solid truth here.

 I have both and once again you are just spitting out things you have read with no experience. The K/Q 702/701 has a gigantic soundstage only surpassed by the HD800 in my collection, so what you read is not true.. You have heard one model of the AKG and( I would assume based on your posts) one model of the Sennheiser, to formulate an opinion or especially before giving others advice, I would maybe listen to more then one model before saying I like brand X better then brand Y.  


Edited by Fearless1 - 5/1/14 at 12:48am
post #3617 of 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post
 

 I have both and once again you are just spitting out things you have read with no experience. The K/Q 702/701 has a gigantic soundstage only surpassed by the HD800 in my collection, so what you read is not true.. You have heard one model of the AKG and( I would assume based on your posts) one model of the Sennheiser, to formulate an opinion or especially before giving others advice, I would maybe listen to more then one model before saying I like brand X better then brand Y.  

where has he said that he has only tried one model of Sennheiser and Akg?. are you just assuming that he did?that's a stupid assumption. you don't know how many models he tried.

but based on his impressions, i wouldn't take his words seriously.

post #3618 of 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoriac View Post
 

where has he said that he has only tried one model of Sennheiser and Akg?. are you just assuming that he did?that's a stupid assumption. you don't know how many models he tried.

but based on his impressions, i wouldn't take his words seriously.


That is what he stated on another post, so no it was not an assumption. I just think if you give advice you should have some sort of experience with the mentioned. People come to this site asking questions and get responses based off of "what I read" or" what I heard" and honestly, it wears thin after a while. My fault for disputing the fact that an inaccurate statement was made about headphones I can walk to my game room, listen to and give an experienced based opinion.


Edited by Fearless1 - 5/1/14 at 10:59am
post #3619 of 6815

Oh, and on a different subject altogether, I believe I'll be upgrading from the hd598 to a hd700.  Much to my surprise, while on amazon I saw a pair of new HD700 for what I assume must have been a misentered value that after shipping cost me just under $310.  I personally have no experience with the seller, but I think I remember them being fairly reputable, as well as them having a 95% or so review rating over I think 12k reviews.  Got an email today that they shipped, so I'm quite excited about that.  I'm still thinking this is too good to be true, so until I see there's actually a HD700 in that box, I'll do my best to avoid getting my hopes up.

post #3620 of 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post

Oh, and on a different subject altogether, I believe I'll be upgrading from the hd598 to a hd700.  Much to my surprise, while on amazon I saw a pair of new HD700 for what I assume must have been a misentered value that after shipping cost me just under $310.  I personally have no experience with the seller, but I think I remember them being fairly reputable, as well as them having a 95% or so review rating over I think 12k reviews.  Got an email today that they shipped, so I'm quite excited about that.  I'm still thinking this is too good to be true, so until I see there's actually a HD700 in that box, I'll do my best to avoid getting my hopes up.
hmm... That seems awesome! I'll go look! I wonder if more is in stock!!!???
post #3621 of 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post
 

Oh, and on a different subject altogether, I believe I'll be upgrading from the hd598 to a hd700.  Much to my surprise, while on amazon I saw a pair of new HD700 for what I assume must have been a misentered value that after shipping cost me just under $310.  I personally have no experience with the seller, but I think I remember them being fairly reputable, as well as them having a 95% or so review rating over I think 12k reviews.  Got an email today that they shipped, so I'm quite excited about that.  I'm still thinking this is too good to be true, so until I see there's actually a HD700 in that box, I'll do my best to avoid getting my hopes up.

That's a crazy steal.  Good find.

post #3622 of 6815

What's an iem that's comparable in detail and separation and overall quality to the 598's? Just trying to get a general reference for how iems compare to full size.

post #3623 of 6815

You are looking at some serious diminishing returns if you only paid $150-.  

post #3624 of 6815

I understand one is open and the other is closed back... but how do the K550s compare to the HD558s? the 598s?

post #3625 of 6815
K550 sound thinner but HD598 sound muddier in comparison smily_headphones1.gif
post #3626 of 6815

Regarding questions on how the Sennheiser HD 598 compares to other headphones...

 

In this post:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/109756/rank-the-headphones-that-you-own/4095#post_10508731 ,

 

I selected the 12 most frequently-ranked headphones in the 1,000 most recent headphone rankings, extending back to November, 2013. There were 10 rankings of the HD 598 against the other 11 most-popular headphones, which I report in this picture (click to render it legible!):

 

 

The blue box at left cites the Sennheiser and the fact that it had a rank order of 0.36 (rounded down, of a possible range from 0.0, which is always being ranked at the top, a privilege reserved for the Sennheiser HD 800, to 0.58, or always being ranked at the bottom, as was the Koss PortaPro), as well as its price, both from Sennheiser and currently on amazon.com.

 

The 10 columns that follow are 10 persons' rank ordering of the Sennheiser HD 598 against 1 to 3 other of the 11 most-ranked headphones.  It consistently scores above the AKG K550 and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

 

Next are a few tables of my own detailed listening comparisons of the HD 598 against several other headphones, using a systematic set of 10 listening tests:

 

I used four "macro" tests that used all of the music, plus six "event-based" tests that compared the rendering of various small pieces of music, compared by repeating back and forth between two headphones.  I simply ranked the ability of each headphone first (3 points), second (2 points), or third (1 point) for each test.  More detail, including identity of the three songs, in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/704826/how-do-you-audition-compare-headphones#post_10254063 .

 

The macro tests were:

 

  • Transparency;
  • Size, both horizontal and vertical, of sound stage;
  • Resolution of position of two persons singing near each other;
  • Volume of headphone with iPod turned up all the way.

 

The event-based tests were:

 

  • "Twang" of drumhead at entrance to Song 1;
  • Preservation of features allowing me to determine pitch of bass notes in Song1 Verse 3)
  • Finger pluck at start of bass notes at start of Song 2;
  • Clarity of shaker, preserving differences of each shake, in Song 2 Verse 3;
  • "Ripping" sound characteristic of horns and medium low reed organ pipes at start of Song 3;
  • Ability to hear additional echoing chord stacked upon a huge bombast of sustained full orchestra and organ four beats later, in about third "verse" of Song 3.

 

Here is the result of my first comparison.  A 3 indicates that headphone was the best of the three in that test and contributes 3 points to an eventual headphone score totaled at the end... a 1 means it was the worst.  Someone has raised the reasonable objection that the HiFiMAN HE-500 was placed at a disadvantage, as it was not amplified (as was true with all comparisons) and since it has 1/130th of the efficiency of the Grado PS-500 (i.e., in sound pressure level in dB per mW of power), this is quite possible).

 

Test Grado PS-500 HiFiMan HE-500 Sennheiser HD-598
Transparency 3 2 1
Width of sound st 1 3 3
Positional resolution 1 3 2
Volume 2 1 3
Drum "twang" 3 1 2
Bass pitch perception 3 2 1
Bass finger pluck 3 1 1
Shaker variation 2 3 1
"Ripping" of organ/brass 3 1 2
Discern added chord 3 2 1
TOTAL 24 19 17

 

Here is a comparison of the HD 598 against the NAD VISO hp50 and the Beats Pro:

 

Test Sennheiser HD 598 NAD VISO hp50 Beats Pro
Transparency 3 1 2
Width of sound st 3 1 2
Positional resolution 3 1 2
Volume 1 2 3
Drum "twang" 2 3 1
Bass pitch perception 3 2 1
Bass finger pluck 2 3 1
Shaker variation 3 2 1
"Ripping" of organ/brass 3 2 1
Discern added chord 3 1 2
TOTAL 26 18 16

 

And finally, here is a comparison against the Beats Studio 2013 (the newer better ones) and the Beats Pro:

Test Sennheiser HD 598 Beats Studio 2013 Beats Pro
Transparency 3 1 2
Width of sound st 3 1 2
Positional resolution 2 3 1
Volume 1 3 2
Drum "twang" 3 2 1
Bass pitch perception 3 1 2
Bass finger pluck 3 2 1
Shaker variation 3 1 2
"Ripping" of organ/brass 3 1 2
Discern added chord 3 1 2
TOTAL 27 16 17

 

Since the scores of each table are based on the rank order of the Sennheiser against the other two headphones, it is quite reasonable for its score to change as the trio of headphones being ranked changes from table to table.

 

Finally, for those who are wondering about its unusual color, I am pleased to point out that its color scheme is very close to that of our Mercedes Benz 230 Kompressor automobile, another fine German product.  Note that the burl wood on the headphones matches the burl wood on the dash and that lines the windshield, and the beige headphones go with the beige instrument panel.

 

The picture shows also that I have upgraded my Sennheiser HD 598 with the 1.3-meter (shorter) cable that includes the 1/8" connector, rendering the headphone much more suited for accompanying an iPod or other portable music player and avoiding the size and weight of a larger 1/4" plug, the 1/4" - to - 1/8" converter, and 7 extra feet of cord.

 

 

Oh, and I have had these since January of 2012, or nearly 30 months now, and there has been NO cracking of the headband.  Wonderful headphones WELL worth the money.

post #3627 of 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayandjohn View Post
 

Regarding questions on how the Sennheiser HD 598 compares to other headphones...

 

In this post:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/109756/rank-the-headphones-that-you-own/4095#post_10508731 ,

 

I selected the 12 most frequently-ranked headphones in the 1,000 most recent headphone rankings, extending back to November, 2013. There were 10 rankings of the HD 598 against the other 11 most-popular headphones, which I report in this picture (click to render it legible!):

 

 

The blue box at left cites the Sennheiser and the fact that it had a rank order of 0.36 (rounded down, of a possible range from 0.0, which is always being ranked at the top, a privilege reserved for the Sennheiser HD 800, to 0.58, or always being ranked at the bottom, as was the Koss PortaPro), as well as its price, both from Sennheiser and currently on amazon.com.

 

The 10 columns that follow are 10 persons' rank ordering of the Sennheiser HD 598 against 1 to 3 other of the 11 most-ranked headphones.  It consistently scores above the AKG K550 and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

 

Next are a few tables of my own detailed listening comparisons of the HD 598 against several other headphones, using a systematic set of 10 listening tests:

 

I used four "macro" tests that used all of the music, plus six "event-based" tests that compared the rendering of various small pieces of music, compared by repeating back and forth between two headphones.  I simply ranked the ability of each headphone first (3 points), second (2 points), or third (1 point) for each test.  More detail, including identity of the three songs, in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/704826/how-do-you-audition-compare-headphones#post_10254063 .

 

The macro tests were:

 

  • Transparency;
  • Size, both horizontal and vertical, of sound stage;
  • Resolution of position of two persons singing near each other;
  • Volume of headphone with iPod turned up all the way.

 

The event-based tests were:

 

  • "Twang" of drumhead at entrance to Song 1;
  • Preservation of features allowing me to determine pitch of bass notes in Song1 Verse 3)
  • Finger pluck at start of bass notes at start of Song 2;
  • Clarity of shaker, preserving differences of each shake, in Song 2 Verse 3;
  • "Ripping" sound characteristic of horns and medium low reed organ pipes at start of Song 3;
  • Ability to hear additional echoing chord stacked upon a huge bombast of sustained full orchestra and organ four beats later, in about third "verse" of Song 3.

 

Here is the result of my first comparison.  A 3 indicates that headphone was the best of the three in that test and contributes 3 points to an eventual headphone score totaled at the end... a 1 means it was the worst.  Someone has raised the reasonable objection that the HiFiMAN HE-500 was placed at a disadvantage, as it was not amplified (as was true with all comparisons) and since it has 1/130th of the efficiency of the Grado PS-500 (i.e., in sound pressure level in dB per mW of power), this is quite possible).

 

Test Grado PS-500 HiFiMan HE-500 Sennheiser HD-598
Transparency 3 2 1
Width of sound st 1 3 3
Positional resolution 1 3 2
Volume 2 1 3
Drum "twang" 3 1 2
Bass pitch perception 3 2 1
Bass finger pluck 3 1 1
Shaker variation 2 3 1
"Ripping" of organ/brass 3 1 2
Discern added chord 3 2 1
TOTAL 24 19 17

 

Here is a comparison of the HD 598 against the NAD VISO hp50 and the Beats Pro:

 

Test Sennheiser HD 598 NAD VISO hp50 Beats Pro
Transparency 3 1 2
Width of sound st 3 1 2
Positional resolution 3 1 2
Volume 1 2 3
Drum "twang" 2 3 1
Bass pitch perception 3 2 1
Bass finger pluck 2 3 1
Shaker variation 3 2 1
"Ripping" of organ/brass 3 2 1
Discern added chord 3 1 2
TOTAL 26 18 16

 

And finally, here is a comparison against the Beats Studio 2013 (the newer better ones) and the Beats Pro:

Test Sennheiser HD 598 Beats Studio 2013 Beats Pro
Transparency 3 1 2
Width of sound st 3 1 2
Positional resolution 2 3 1
Volume 1 3 2
Drum "twang" 3 2 1
Bass pitch perception 3 1 2
Bass finger pluck 3 2 1
Shaker variation 3 1 2
"Ripping" of organ/brass 3 1 2
Discern added chord 3 1 2
TOTAL 27 16 17

 

Since the scores of each table are based on the rank order of the Sennheiser against the other two headphones, it is quite reasonable for its score to change as the trio of headphones being ranked changes from table to table.

 

Finally, for those who are wondering about its unusual color, I am pleased to point out that its color scheme is very close to that of our Mercedes Benz 230 Kompressor automobile, another fine German product.  Note that the burl wood on the headphones matches the burl wood on the dash and that lines the windshield, and the beige headphones go with the beige instrument panel.

 

The picture shows also that I have upgraded my Sennheiser HD 598 with the 1.3-meter (shorter) cable that includes the 1/8" connector, rendering the headphone much more suited for accompanying an iPod or other portable music player and avoiding the size and weight of a larger 1/4" plug, the 1/4" - to - 1/8" converter, and 7 extra feet of cord.

 

 

Oh, and I have had these since January of 2012, or nearly 30 months now, and there has been NO cracking of the headband.  Wonderful headphones WELL worth the money.

+1 I've had these headphones for a few months and I am still loving them!

 

Cheers and happy Friday! ;)

post #3628 of 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayandjohn View Post
 

 

 

Oh, and I have had these since January of 2012, or nearly 30 months now, and there has been NO cracking of the headband.  Wonderful headphones WELL worth the money.

 

I've always liked the mid-90's C-Class (looks like yours is a C220 diesel?). The HD 598's look good in there :biggrin: 


Edited by palmfish - 5/2/14 at 7:17pm
post #3629 of 6815

I remember getting to drive both the 230 and 32 AMG...  man those were beautiful roadsters.

post #3630 of 6815

Guys, please do NOT reply to inappropriate or abusive posts. It is the same as if you posted it yourself. Why you all would want to broadcast something that craps on a person or thread is beyond me. In the future just flag such posts and then ignore them. :beerchug:


Edited by Currawong - 5/4/14 at 7:55pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread