or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 238

post #3556 of 6817

You can get it for slightly less and varied lengths on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/261255113290

 

This guy is a trusted seller and many people have bought their short cables from him.

Also FiiO makes cables for the HD598 as well.

 

Speaking of cables for the HD598 anybody get weird noise in their right ear when using an amp with stock cable?

For some reason when I have it hooked to a Schiit Magni it makes a bit of noise in the right ear at different pot positions.

I think it may have something to do with the 2.5mm TRRS connector at the top.

post #3557 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsukiNick View Post
 

You can get it for slightly less and varied lengths on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/261255113290

 

This guy is a trusted seller and many people have bought their short cables from him.

Also FiiO makes cables for the HD598 as well.

 

Speaking of cables for the HD598 anybody get weird noise in their right ear when using an amp with stock cable?

For some reason when I have it hooked to a Schiit Magni it makes a bit of noise in the right ear at different pot positions.

I think it may have something to do with the 2.5mm TRRS connector at the top.


I have used the 598's stock cable with a Benchmark DAC1, Sugden Headmaster, CEntrance HiFi-M8, and Resonessence Labs Herus without hearing any odd noises.

 

Maybe a noisy volume pot?

 

But speaking of that 2.5mm TRRS plug, I have no idea why they use that when the other end is a 3 pole TRS plug, meaning the 2 channels share a common ground/return/negative pole at that end.

 

Still more mysterious is that some of the replacement cables are TRS (3 pole) at both ends, for instance the Oyaide HPC-35/62HD598. You wouldn't think that would work.

post #3558 of 6817
Actually looking in the forums a lot of people have had this problem with a lot of the same headphones I use. Anyone with this issue should try using a small extension cable or get that cable from ebay.
post #3559 of 6817

I bought the HD 598 today. they sound extremely good so far

but i think mine are defective

i'm not sure though

i think the left channel is a little louder. and most of the music plays there.

i don't know if it's the instrument separation or my cans.

can somebody help me with this?

post #3560 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoriac View Post

I bought the HD 598 today. they sound extremely good so far
but i think mine are defective
i'm not sure though
i think the left channel is a little louder. and most of the music plays there.
i don't know if it's the instrument separation or my cans.
can somebody help me with this?

great choice of headphones. Try this:
Twist and take off the cable from the headphone completely. Push it back in all the way! Then twist it into place until it rests perfectly well and you can't pull it out. Then plug the other end into your source, firmly. Usually these apparent imbalances are when the plugs don't have proper contact.

Let us know if it helped?

Cheers,
K
post #3561 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post


great choice of headphones. Try this:
Twist and take off the cable from the headphone completely. Push it back in all the way! Then twist it into place until it rests perfectly well and you can't pull it out. Then plug the other end into your source, firmly. Usually these apparent imbalances are when the plugs don't have proper contact.

Let us know if it helped?

Cheers,
K

 I just tried that. no avail.

they were sounding balanced till yesterday.

i took off the cable for the first time today. after pushing it back in. the sound became imbalanced.

post #3562 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoriac View Post

 I just tried that. no avail.
they were sounding balanced till yesterday.
i took off the cable for the first time today. after pushing it back in. the sound became imbalanced.

I had the same, didn't realize that the cable was in fact not properly inserted all the way. I would try a few times, if that doesn't help return them and get a new pair.

Cheers,
K
post #3563 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post


I had the same, didn't realize that the cable was in fact not properly inserted all the way. I would try a few times, if that doesn't help return them and get a new pair.

Cheers,
K


+1, and also check the other end too in particular if you are using the 3.5mm adapter.

post #3564 of 6817

Maybe try another source to see if problem persists?

post #3565 of 6817

EHP-O2, FiiO e17, or FiiO e18 for my Sennheiser HD 598s?

 

I need to know what "portable" dac amp I should buy, less than $160, for my new Sennheiser HD 598s.  Keep in mind I've never had a DAC AMP and I've only used onboard sound cards.  Please help me choose.  I don't know what is best for what I need it for.  I mostly game, and listen to electronic music such as Dubstep.  Please let me know what you recommend and what will help the audio sound better.

post #3566 of 6817
If you dont care about having an external DAC/amp, why not upgrade your onboard card to the Asus Xonar Essence STX?
post #3567 of 6817

Personally I would go with the e18. Seems more portable. Or whatever sounds the best, I haven't tried any of those. The hd598's aren't picky at all! 

post #3568 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steetoh View Post
 

EHP-O2, FiiO e17, or FiiO e18 for my Sennheiser HD 598s?

 

I need to know what "portable" dac amp I should buy, less than $160, for my new Sennheiser HD 598s.  Keep in mind I've never had a DAC AMP and I've only used onboard sound cards.  Please help me choose.  I don't know what is best for what I need it for.  I mostly game, and listen to electronic music such as Dubstep.  Please let me know what you recommend and what will help the audio sound better.

xonar dg and amp is way to go something like an 02 amp will last longer hold it's value longer can be moved around various sources etc unlike a soundcard and will sound better than the soundcards headphone amp and will power future headphones etc etc when the stx is old news and going for $20 second hand


Edited by c64 - 4/3/14 at 6:13pm
post #3569 of 6817

So the xonar dg with an 02 you are thinking?

post #3570 of 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by c64 View Post
 

xonar dg and amp is way to go something like an 02 amp will last longer hold it's value longer can be moved around various sources etc unlike a soundcard and will sound better than the soundcards headphone amp and will power future headphones etc etc when the stx is old news and going for $20 second hand

 

Except there is no DAC for when he's away from his computer...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread