Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 206

post #3076 of 4078
I will always say, if you can hear no difference, you are lucky. You can enjoy the music without bother about cables and such.

I have to say, though, the difference to me was night and day. I listened solely to the eBay cable for weeks and didn't enjoy the headphones that whole time. I switched to stock cable and for the past day or so I've been reveling in how good the phones can sound. I was about to write these phones off before that.

Now, the argument is often that people who buy more expensive replacement cables want to hear an improvement because they subconsciously want to validate their cable purchase. Nope. Not here. Exactly the opposite.

To my ears, the stock cable, the ones that came free with the headphones, sounded much more satisfactory than the $16 replacement cable.

And I don't have a bias one way or the other about either of the cables other than how they make my music sound.

But I'm not writing off anyone's claim if they don't hear a difference. I can't tell you what you do or do not hear with your ears. Only you can say.

As long as you're enjoying your music, all is good.
post #3077 of 4078

A night and day difference makes it seem like the cable you bought is maybe defective in some form.  I mean the only real technical difference between the stock and ebay cables is the 3 ring connection on the stock 2.5mm end.

 

Glad the headphones have the ability to replace the cable albeit I would of preferred a 3.5mm to 3.5mm without the twist lock.  Better than messing around with a soldering iron.

post #3078 of 4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.T. View Post
To my ears, the stock cable, the ones that came free with the headphones, sounded much more satisfactory than the $16 replacement cable.

 

The HD 598 stock cable is $12.95..

 

Technically you're paying more for the shorter cable with the 3.5mm termination. So technically it should sound better! lmao

 

The wires inside the stock sennheiser cable is balanced already, so maybe the chinese distributor is only using 3 wires instead of 4? I don't know. All i know is shortening the cable makes no difference in the sound. Maybe i'm one of the lucky ones!! :rolleyes:

post #3079 of 4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsukiNick View Post
 

A night and day difference makes it seem like the cable you bought is maybe defective in some form.

KT,

 

I agree with this. Those on this thread with that cable have not reported differences in sound vs the stock cable. If your aftermarket cable is seriously deteriorating the signal to the point there is a degradation of sound, there is most likely a manufacturing defect in your aftermarket cable.

 

I 100% believe you are hearing what you hear, I just think that difference is (probably) due to a defect.

 

Will they swap it out for a replacement?

post #3080 of 4078

1.  Does the HD598 sound better than HD595 and by how much, generally speaking?

2.  Are the ear cups removable and washable?

post #3081 of 4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiccc View Post
 

1.  Does the HD598 sound better than HD595 and by how much, generally speaking?

2.  Are the ear cups removable and washable?

1. Can't answer that, not heard the HD595 before.

2. The earcups can't be removed, but they can be deconstructed and cleaned fairly easily. Though the dust under the metal grill on top of the black fabric is much more tricky since they are glued into place.

post #3082 of 4078
Yes, possibly a defective cable. However, both channels do produce sound, and it is of a consistent character between the two channels. There's no intermittent signal cutting in and out, so it seems that the connections and solder joints are sound. I wouldn't know exactly what the defect mechanism would be. I can see how a different wiring (grounding) scheme could possibly influence the sound vs the stock cable, however.

I don't know if everyone bought their cables from the same vendor I did. It's also possible that the various manufacturers used a different make of wire in their various cable, with mine being made from a lower quality, worse sounding wire.

Without opening that ugly debate of whether wire influences the sound or not, I will say that I can detect unambiguous differences in the musical presentation when I change out the various interconnects in my own stereo system. Differences such as one brand of interconnect is slow and muffled, another may be super clear but harmonically thread bare, and another may be just right to suit the system and my personal sonic tastes. So I do believe that wires can influence the sound.

Now, I've never experimented with different cables before with headphones simply because the replacement cables for the phones I own that will take them (the HD580 and HD600) cost way too much. I personally can't justify paying that much for a cable - it just goes against my value-driven sensibility.

But the replacement cable for the HD598 was inexpensive and looks very nice. So I thought I'd give it a shot. You know the rest of the story.

Now here is where it gets interesting - I also purchased at the same time, and from the same vendor, a short version of the cable to which I haven't listened to yet. When I get the chance, I will plug this in and give it a listen. If it sounds the same as my medium length cable, it will tell me my two cables just have that sound signature. If it sounds different than my medium cable (more like the the stock cable, or otherwise better), I may conclude that my medium length cable is faulty in some way.

I will keep you updated. Until I have a chance, The stock cable is keeping me happy.
post #3083 of 4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post
 

1. Can't answer that, not heard the HD595 before.

2. The earcups can't be removed, but they can be deconstructed and cleaned fairly easily. Though the dust under the metal grill on top of the black fabric is much more tricky since they are glued into place

I think I have used the wrong term when I said "ear cups", what I really meant was, are the ear pads removable and washable?  But it's good to know that the ear cups could be clean also.  Thanks for the info.

post #3084 of 4078

1.  Can someone who have the  HD 598 AND Philips Fidelio S1 or S2, please comment yours thoughts about the sound characteristics between the two?

 

2.  Is the HD 598 good for watching movies also?


Edited by Musiccc - 12/3/13 at 8:42pm
post #3085 of 4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiccc View Post
 

 

2.  Is the HD 598 good for watching movies also?

I like watching movies with mine on simply because I can listen as loud as I want without disturbing anyone else in the house. Additionally, they are EXTREMELY comfortable and can be worn for hours with no discomfort, and the lengthy stock cable allows me to get comfortable without worry of jerking them from my preamps HP jack.

 

Having said all that, I do find the 598s to be light on bass, and do not dig deep with a lot of authority. That is an area I think that movie watching would benefit from.

 

When weighing the pro's and cons of this...I find myself regularly turning to the 598s for movie watching. That is something I have NEVER done before, but then again, I am also new to "head-fi" listening, having focused solely on my full sized setup in the past.

 

All of this is IMO, and YMMV. :) 


Edited by painted klown - 12/3/13 at 10:17pm
post #3086 of 4078
I agree, the bass on these phones is on the light side. It wouldn't satisfy bass heads, IMO.

It really depends on what kind of movies you are watching. For dialog and music, these phones are great. If you're into explosions and sound effects, you might want a phone with more lower register grunt.

I don't know if these qualify as an open backed headphone, or semi-open. One thing I like about them is that I can hear when someone in the room speaks or asks a question. It saves my neck when my girlfriend is in a talkative mood. I don't have to constantly pull the cups from my ears and say, what did you just say? I have to do that with closed phones, like my DT770s.

I listen to music at a moderate level, so the sound is barely perceptible from outside.
post #3087 of 4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiccc View Post
 

2.  Is the HD 598 good for watching movies also?

598's are excellent for movie watching. Well made soundtracks for movies really come alive, and I have experienced some really awesome effects on some movies. Basically, at times the soundtrack sounds like three dimensional. You can hear the "normal" sounds very close to your ear, and some ambient noices or music sounds like it's playing somewhere further away. I can't describe it any better, but it sounds really cool. Movies like Samsara and Baraka gain new dimensions when you listen them through good headphones rather than some cheap speakers.

 

Does someone have both Hifiman HE-400 and the HD 598? I am considering them as an upgrade for my 598's somewhere down the line. I've heard that HD 600 and 650 sound "boring" compared to 598's, and the HE-400 would have that special something in them. I'm not looking for anything overly analytical, as long as my music sounds awesome I'll be happy.

post #3088 of 4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zojokkeli View Post

598's are excellent for movie watching. Well made soundtracks for movies really come alive, and I have experienced some really awesome effects on some movies. Basically, at times the soundtrack sounds like three dimensional. You can hear the "normal" sounds very close to your ear, and some ambient noices or music sounds like it's playing somewhere further away. I can't describe it any better, but it sounds really cool. Movies like Samsara and Baraka gain new dimensions when you listen them through good headphones rather than some cheap speakers.

Does someone have both Hifiman HE-400 and the HD 598? I am considering them as an upgrade for my 598's somewhere down the line. I've heard that HD 600 and 650 sound "boring" compared to 598's, and the HE-400 would have that special something in them. I'm not looking for anything overly analytical, as long as my music sounds awesome I'll be happy.
I have both. In most areas, the HE400s will seem like an upgrade. They are very complimentary cans in that the HD598s are smooth and laid back and the HifiMans are upfront and fast. They HifiMans deliver a considerably bigger whack in the bass and are also more high-treble happy. I find them a bit tizzy on some material, but there's loads of info on EQing and pad modding over on its appreciation thread that goes some way to deal with those issues. The HifiMans also have more dynamic punch, but they lose out to the Senns in soundstage, midrange presence and comfort (which headphones don't lose out to the 598s in comfort!?).

Give me a shout if you want any more info.
post #3089 of 4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.T. View Post

I agree, the bass on these phones is on the light side. It wouldn't satisfy bass heads, IMO.

It really depends on what kind of movies you are watching. For dialog and music, these phones are great. If you're into explosions and sound effects, you might want a phone with more lower register grunt.

I don't know if these qualify as an open backed headphone, or semi-open. One thing I like about them is that I can hear when someone in the room speaks or asks a question. It saves my neck when my girlfriend is in a talkative mood. I don't have to constantly pull the cups from my ears and say, what did you just say? I have to do that with closed phones, like my DT770s.

I listen to music at a moderate level, so the sound is barely perceptible from outside.


See!  Sound leakage of opened headphones is a built-in feature so that you could enjoy your headphones without losing your girlfriends.

post #3090 of 4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiccc View Post


See!  Sound leakage of opened headphones is a built-in feature so that you could enjoy your headphones without losing your girlfriends.

Ya!

If it works for you, use it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread