or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 204

post #3046 of 6874

This is potentially a dumb question but does getting a replacement cable like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/261255113290?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item3cd404aa4a improve SQ in any way or is it just that - a replacement cable? It's definitely more aesthetic though.

post #3047 of 6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe View Post
 

This is potentially a dumb question but does getting a replacement cable like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/261255113290?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item3cd404aa4a improve SQ in any way or is it just that - a replacement cable? It's definitely more aesthetic though.

Out of dumb curiosity, I decided to test both cables, I thought that there is no difference so I have been using the shorter cable for the last 3 months now. But my gut feelings are telling me now that the stock cable is warmer while the new cable is brighter. That's as far as i am willing to mention. The differences are very small though that you can't really tell by nit picking, but somehow feeling the overall sound. But both of them are fine as far as im concern.

post #3048 of 6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe View Post
 

This is potentially a dumb question but does getting a replacement cable like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/261255113290?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item3cd404aa4a improve SQ in any way or is it just that - a replacement cable? It's definitely more aesthetic though.

The cable does look really damn nice :3

post #3049 of 6874

I don't think that a different cable (unless broken or not isolated well enough) would make a huge difference in sound quality, not perceptible by human ears anyway. Most of the time the differences are psychological, since nobody would admit they've thrown away money on that 100+$ cable...


Edited by Glasofruix - 11/27/13 at 8:27am
post #3050 of 6874

I cut my stock cable in half and i didn't notice any sound changes. A lot of people use to swear about sonic differences with shorter cables... hell they still do... lol

 

I'm still curious and optimistic about silver vs copper though... 

 

One thing i did notice with my 558's and my fiio e10, when it's on high gain, i hear more noise in the background in some songs. So i mostly leave it on low gain now, it's all i usually need anyway.

post #3051 of 6874

Cutting the cable works, kinda. Since the signal travelling inside is a wave, sometimes shortening the cable would land you on a point where the wave is on its highest, at least it worked for anlog TV a few years back :p but you have no way of knowing where to cut, so it's pretty much useless. Also there is pratically no signal deperdition over such short distance.


Edited by Glasofruix - 11/27/13 at 1:53pm
post #3052 of 6874

Nice cables... might have to get one myself sometime soon. 

post #3053 of 6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasofruix View Post
 

Cutting the cable works, kinda. Since the signal travelling inside is a wave, sometimes shortening the cable would land you on a point where the wave is on its highest, at least it worked for anlog TV a few years back :p but you have no way of knowing where to cut, so it's pretty much useless. Also there is pratically no signal deperdition over such short distance.

 

That's hilarious! Made my day... :D

post #3054 of 6874

I'm just spewing what i learnt about electronics in school, i never said i listened :p But we experimented with the tv thing, snipping a cm from the cable could change the picture quality.

post #3055 of 6874

I just got these headphones two days ago. They sound really nice, easily the best I've owned.
However, one concern/question to existing owners. I noticed that if I sort of shake my head side to side, I hear some sort of rattle sound or something, like there's something loose, only on the left side. It has nothing to do with the audio output or sound, that's perfectly fine, I think it's something to do with the chasis. Anyway, It's not major and I can live with it, but I was wondering what it might be or if there's actually something different about my pair.

post #3056 of 6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwalnut View Post
 

A lot of people use to swear about sonic differences with shorter cables... hell they still do... lol

 

 

A lot of people are mentally unstable. 

post #3057 of 6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmholtzW View Post
 

I just got these headphones two days ago. They sound really nice, easily the best I've owned.
However, one concern/question to existing owners. I noticed that if I sort of shake my head side to side, I hear some sort of rattle sound or something, like there's something loose, only on the left side. It has nothing to do with the audio output or sound, that's perfectly fine, I think it's something to do with the chasis. Anyway, It's not major and I can live with it, but I was wondering what it might be or if there's actually something different about my pair.

If you take the headphones off & shake your head, do you still hear the rattle?

 

k

post #3058 of 6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmholtzW View Post
 

I just got these headphones two days ago. They sound really nice, easily the best I've owned.
However, one concern/question to existing owners. I noticed that if I sort of shake my head side to side, I hear some sort of rattle sound or something, like there's something loose, only on the left side. It has nothing to do with the audio output or sound, that's perfectly fine, I think it's something to do with the chasis. Anyway, It's not major and I can live with it, but I was wondering what it might be or if there's actually something different about my pair.


Is it the silver ring on the outside? My pair has had the ring loose on the right side ever since I got it, but I've just lived with it since it doesn't bother me much.

post #3059 of 6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
 

If you take the headphones off & shake your head, do you still hear the rattle?

 

k

What? No. But if I take the headphones off and shake them back and forth I can hear a bit of a clicking noise that's probably what I hear when they're on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouReadNames View Post
 


Is it the silver ring on the outside? My pair has had the ring loose on the right side ever since I got it, but I've just lived with it since it doesn't bother me much.

Nope don't think so, as far as I can tell everything is pretty solid and fixed in place. That's why I'm having trouble putting my finger on what's producing this sound. Again I can only hear it if I make sudden movement with my head (mainly by making a sort of head banging motion), so it's not the end of the world. was just trying to figure out what it was/if it's normal.


Edited by HelmholtzW - 11/27/13 at 10:08pm
post #3060 of 6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmholtzW View Post

What? No. But if I take the headphones off and shake them back and forth I can hear a bit of a clicking noise that's probably what I hear when they're on.
Nope don't think so, as far as I can tell everything is pretty solid and fixed in place. That's why I'm having trouble putting my finger on what's producing this sound. Again I can only hear it if I make sudden movement with my head (mainly by making a sort of head banging motion), so it's not the end of the world. was just trying to figure out what it was/if it's normal.
I would have thought if I was headbanging with these on, I'd have the volume up higher than I could hear that clicking wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread