Because of the burn in or did it just take time to get used to the sound?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCowon S9 8 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black)tagged by System, 9/14/11
- productSennheiser HD448 Around the Ear Headphonestagged by System, 3/3/11
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 9/14/11
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 2/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser 598 or 595 or 558 (or maybe AT AD700)? Last post on 12/13/13 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser ear pads make my ears hot. Last post on 8/4/13 at 11:00am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD 595 replacement? Any other than HD 598? Last post on 6/2/13 at 11:29am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Most Comfortable full sized Headphones Last post on 6/12/13 at 7:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue,...
Schiit Ragnarok: Is It Love, or Is It Just Schiit? Introduction: This part is just to give you some background on my experience and how I’ve arrived at the Schiit Ragnarok before...
my repost from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623894/review-logitech-ue9000-ultimate-ears-headphones-released-the-ue4000-ue6000-and-the-ue9000-impressions-thread/930 Just my two cents, to me, I feel...
When MEE was describing their new iems to me this is what they said: "... these earphones heavily emphasize comfort and appearance, they have nicely balanced sound that is less bassy compared to...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included...
Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 191
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Nah I've never heard benefits of burn-in, neither do I believe in it.
It took time to get used to the sound, because I had been using massive V eq on my daps before, and was used to a muffled sound.
You won't appreciate the sound if you're a basshead. If you're not a basshead though and all you've ever used is crap $30 headphones, then hell yeah you'll appreciate them! lol
Only thing you might notice with burn in is a small increase in bass impact and extension, and maybe the sound stage gets a little wider... don't expect too much change though. If you're not satisfied with the bass you can equalize and even get bass boost type amps... but if you're that concerned with bass thump then you made the wrong purchase. I think the bass in my modded 558's are perfect.. but everyone has different preferences.
I'd argue that the 598's definitely sound better after hours of playing them overnight with some trap/edm music.. out the box the low end was absolutely anemic..
After much usage.. it's more tolerable.. still meh.. but much more tolerable.
I've enjoyed the bass on the 598s. Perfect level for listening to my favorite bands... Overall excellent all around headphones. For my basshead needs I ended up getting a pair of Ultrasones.
The amount of bass isn't a big priority for me. I value the comfort and natural sound higher, which the 598 according to reviews has. And I have already placed my order, so regardless it's too late for any regrets (I don't believe I will have any though). :)
I'm also skeptic towards burn in, but on the same time it seems almost impossible to read headphone impressions and discussions without burn in being mentioned.
Edited by MaTachi - 10/20/13 at 12:31pm
I think you will find the 598s good value for money. They've come down considerably in price, and they are more of a bargain now than ever.
Bass is not the main focus of these cans, but the bass does benefit from proper amplification. They don't need much though, but driving them straight from the phone vs. even just a FiiO E17 or Asgard, you will come to appreciate them more with amplification.
I don't know how much burn in really affects the sound percentage-wise. I've seen measurements that seem to imply there should be a change, but from personal experience, the change mostly comes from your ears adjusting to the headphone sound signature. Do I think burn will have an effect on sound? yes but not as dramatic a change as your brain finally "getting" the sound signature.
Don't take this as gospel, though, as you will find many a head-fier who will say the exact opposite - burn in has more of an effect than physiological adjustment. The best way is to make up your own mind, methinks. Enjoy the journey of hearing the changes occur.
On a separate note, try looking up Stephen A. Jackson - Spirituals, and Ben Howard. Really nice music on the 598s. I think these play to the 598's strengths.
I remember they used to cost 349 US. Now you can get them for 200-ish on amazon.
I remember I got mine a while ago for about US.
Thanks, will do!
Keep an eye out for discounts. I bought my 598's a week or so ago a Fry's for $149 USD. Check the "Deals" thread in this subforum.
BTW I am really enjoying my 598's.
You should have orderd other DAC/AMP. I used HD598 and Fiio E10 last year and that combo really disappointed me. Please try a Fiio E17 or save more money to buy better DAC/AMP.
Works fine for me, then again i've never had a top tier amp/dac. What disappointed you about it? Too dark? Everyone has different preferences.
- Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50x 45 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Post pic(s) of your latest "significant" purchase(s)!!! v2.0 2 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 3 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age 6 minutes ago
- › Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning] 8 minutes ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)