Because of the burn in or did it just take time to get used to the sound?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCowon S9 8 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black)tagged by System, 9/14/11
- productSennheiser HD448 Around the Ear Headphonestagged by System, 3/3/11
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 9/14/11
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 2/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser 598 or 595 or 558 (or maybe AT AD700)? Last post on 12/13/13 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Something as comfy as Sennheiser's but with more bass? Last post on 3/4/15 at 8:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD598 Amazon Black Friday deal $99.99! Last post on 11/29/14 at 3:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Make your cheap headphones sound like they cost twice the price. Last post on 7/8/14 at 5:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
Sony walkman A-10 review PACKAGING : so simple .. just the player,cable and...
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Hello all in Head Fi community. This is my first ever review in this forum.I am not an expert in reviewing so I will only use very simple term or definition to convey my message. I just received...
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 191
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Nah I've never heard benefits of burn-in, neither do I believe in it.
It took time to get used to the sound, because I had been using massive V eq on my daps before, and was used to a muffled sound.
You won't appreciate the sound if you're a basshead. If you're not a basshead though and all you've ever used is crap $30 headphones, then hell yeah you'll appreciate them! lol
Only thing you might notice with burn in is a small increase in bass impact and extension, and maybe the sound stage gets a little wider... don't expect too much change though. If you're not satisfied with the bass you can equalize and even get bass boost type amps... but if you're that concerned with bass thump then you made the wrong purchase. I think the bass in my modded 558's are perfect.. but everyone has different preferences.
I'd argue that the 598's definitely sound better after hours of playing them overnight with some trap/edm music.. out the box the low end was absolutely anemic..
After much usage.. it's more tolerable.. still meh.. but much more tolerable.
I've enjoyed the bass on the 598s. Perfect level for listening to my favorite bands... Overall excellent all around headphones. For my basshead needs I ended up getting a pair of Ultrasones.
The amount of bass isn't a big priority for me. I value the comfort and natural sound higher, which the 598 according to reviews has. And I have already placed my order, so regardless it's too late for any regrets (I don't believe I will have any though). :)
I'm also skeptic towards burn in, but on the same time it seems almost impossible to read headphone impressions and discussions without burn in being mentioned.
Edited by MaTachi - 10/20/13 at 12:31pm
I think you will find the 598s good value for money. They've come down considerably in price, and they are more of a bargain now than ever.
Bass is not the main focus of these cans, but the bass does benefit from proper amplification. They don't need much though, but driving them straight from the phone vs. even just a FiiO E17 or Asgard, you will come to appreciate them more with amplification.
I don't know how much burn in really affects the sound percentage-wise. I've seen measurements that seem to imply there should be a change, but from personal experience, the change mostly comes from your ears adjusting to the headphone sound signature. Do I think burn will have an effect on sound? yes but not as dramatic a change as your brain finally "getting" the sound signature.
Don't take this as gospel, though, as you will find many a head-fier who will say the exact opposite - burn in has more of an effect than physiological adjustment. The best way is to make up your own mind, methinks. Enjoy the journey of hearing the changes occur.
On a separate note, try looking up Stephen A. Jackson - Spirituals, and Ben Howard. Really nice music on the 598s. I think these play to the 598's strengths.
I remember they used to cost 349 US. Now you can get them for 200-ish on amazon.
I remember I got mine a while ago for about US.
Thanks, will do!
Keep an eye out for discounts. I bought my 598's a week or so ago a Fry's for $149 USD. Check the "Deals" thread in this subforum.
BTW I am really enjoying my 598's.
You should have orderd other DAC/AMP. I used HD598 and Fiio E10 last year and that combo really disappointed me. Please try a Fiio E17 or save more money to buy better DAC/AMP.
Works fine for me, then again i've never had a top tier amp/dac. What disappointed you about it? Too dark? Everyone has different preferences.
- Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › SilverFi IEM Cables - Top Class Sounding IEM and Headphone Cables -... 3 seconds ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 30 seconds ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 56 seconds ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › OPPO PM-1 / PM-2 Loaner Program 1 minute ago
- › My 200-ish budget PC/Home audio setup ! 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by Mmet
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2