Because of the burn in or did it just take time to get used to the sound?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCowon S9 8 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black)tagged by System, 9/14/11
- productSennheiser HD448 Around the Ear Headphonestagged by System, 3/3/11
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 9/14/11
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 2/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser 598 or 595 or 558 (or maybe AT AD700)? Last post on 12/13/13 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Something as comfy as Sennheiser's but with more bass? Last post on 3/4/15 at 8:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD598 Amazon Black Friday deal $99.99! Last post on 11/29/14 at 3:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Make your cheap headphones sound like they cost twice the price. Last post on 7/8/14 at 5:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank SoundMagic for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. If you live in US, they are currently available at a...
*A sample of the IEM500 was provided to me in return for my honest review* - Photos taken by, me.- One of the funniest things is when a company writes all these outlandish claims with their...
Me: I am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the...
These headphones are not for a true audiophile person. If you just want to watch movies on YouTube and talk with your friends on Skype - they will do the job for you. But if you want to enjoy your...
Introduction The Fidue A65 is in quite of an interesting place. It's in the budget range that has a lot of great contenders, but in it's defence it brings a Titanium micro dynamic driver, and with...
Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 191
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Nah I've never heard benefits of burn-in, neither do I believe in it.
It took time to get used to the sound, because I had been using massive V eq on my daps before, and was used to a muffled sound.
You won't appreciate the sound if you're a basshead. If you're not a basshead though and all you've ever used is crap $30 headphones, then hell yeah you'll appreciate them! lol
Only thing you might notice with burn in is a small increase in bass impact and extension, and maybe the sound stage gets a little wider... don't expect too much change though. If you're not satisfied with the bass you can equalize and even get bass boost type amps... but if you're that concerned with bass thump then you made the wrong purchase. I think the bass in my modded 558's are perfect.. but everyone has different preferences.
I'd argue that the 598's definitely sound better after hours of playing them overnight with some trap/edm music.. out the box the low end was absolutely anemic..
After much usage.. it's more tolerable.. still meh.. but much more tolerable.
I've enjoyed the bass on the 598s. Perfect level for listening to my favorite bands... Overall excellent all around headphones. For my basshead needs I ended up getting a pair of Ultrasones.
The amount of bass isn't a big priority for me. I value the comfort and natural sound higher, which the 598 according to reviews has. And I have already placed my order, so regardless it's too late for any regrets (I don't believe I will have any though). :)
I'm also skeptic towards burn in, but on the same time it seems almost impossible to read headphone impressions and discussions without burn in being mentioned.
Edited by MaTachi - 10/20/13 at 12:31pm
I think you will find the 598s good value for money. They've come down considerably in price, and they are more of a bargain now than ever.
Bass is not the main focus of these cans, but the bass does benefit from proper amplification. They don't need much though, but driving them straight from the phone vs. even just a FiiO E17 or Asgard, you will come to appreciate them more with amplification.
I don't know how much burn in really affects the sound percentage-wise. I've seen measurements that seem to imply there should be a change, but from personal experience, the change mostly comes from your ears adjusting to the headphone sound signature. Do I think burn will have an effect on sound? yes but not as dramatic a change as your brain finally "getting" the sound signature.
Don't take this as gospel, though, as you will find many a head-fier who will say the exact opposite - burn in has more of an effect than physiological adjustment. The best way is to make up your own mind, methinks. Enjoy the journey of hearing the changes occur.
On a separate note, try looking up Stephen A. Jackson - Spirituals, and Ben Howard. Really nice music on the 598s. I think these play to the 598's strengths.
I remember they used to cost 349 US. Now you can get them for 200-ish on amazon.
I remember I got mine a while ago for about US.
Thanks, will do!
Keep an eye out for discounts. I bought my 598's a week or so ago a Fry's for $149 USD. Check the "Deals" thread in this subforum.
BTW I am really enjoying my 598's.
You should have orderd other DAC/AMP. I used HD598 and Fiio E10 last year and that combo really disappointed me. Please try a Fiio E17 or save more money to buy better DAC/AMP.
Works fine for me, then again i've never had a top tier amp/dac. What disappointed you about it? Too dark? Everyone has different preferences.
- Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › AIAIAI TMA-1 58 seconds ago
- › Rational reasons to love vinyl 1 minute ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 1 minute ago
- › Can Con 5 impressions/review. 1 minute ago
- › ZMF Omni Pre-Order Sale and Head-Fi Impressions Tour Sign Up 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 3 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 5 minutes ago
- › Kierland- Scottsdale Mini Meet- June27th 6 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by twister6
- › Puro Sound Labs - IEM500 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Matrix M-Stage by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › Astell&Kern AK10 Portable Hi-Fi Audio DAC Headphone amplifer... by Hawaiibadboy
- › iClever® IC-BTH01 Lightweight Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Sports... by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › Aune B1 by Peter West
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by biggbenn74
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)