Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 180

post #2686 of 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMHC View Post

Anyone have experience with the Philips X1?  How does it compare to the HD598?  I have a pair of HD 598, while it is crisp and clear, I find it distant and un-engaging.  Not sure if its just me.   

598 are laid back, so you might find them distant and un-engaging. I didn't like this at first, but I eventually ended up loving it. It's just a matter of preference.

post #2687 of 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by exquisite View Post

Hi all, 

 

Got this headphones 2 days ago (new, sealed box , from amazon) and noticed a construction difference between the 2 cups.

Can´t figure out yet if the sound is affected in anyway (as they are still burning in) but the lower part of the left cup has

some more of the inside mesh "glued" to the background than the right one. Took some macros where it is clearly seen.

Has any of you noticed the same on their cans? Could it be a manufacturing flaw? Some quality control issues? What do you think?

I would return them in the 30days period if I need to, just wanted to check if anybody else has the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your input.

 

Left cup:

 

Right cup :

Nope, my HD558 has the exact same thing. Must be something to do with the wires being one sided.

post #2688 of 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

Nope, my HD558 has the exact same thing. Must be something to do with the wires being one sided.

 

Yup, mine were the same.  Room for the jack.

post #2689 of 4317

Thanks, it´s quite reassuring to see that it is nothing to worry about.

post #2690 of 4317

mine are the same

post #2691 of 4317

That must be it.  It is likely I am using these headphones for the wrong type of music too.  I do agree with you that these headphones are laid back.  There is nothing dramatic; a consistent performer.  

post #2692 of 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMHC View Post

That must be it.  It is likely I am using these headphones for the wrong type of music too.  I do agree with you that these headphones are laid back.  There is nothing dramatic; a consistent performer.  

What kind of music do you listen to on the HD598?

post #2693 of 4317

I must be weird but I've never found the HD-598 laid back at all. Maybe in the upper mids a little. It sounds smooth with almost all music though. Sometimes it makes recordings almost sound smoother in the treble/upper mids than they really are (i'm ok with this). The mids are very engaging to me and nothing about this headphone is boring. Of course I don't listen to music that requires lots of bass.

 

I've always found the HD-598 to be perfect for female vocals. Q701 is still better IMO for them, but 598 is a little smoother sounding. I think fans of asian pop music would love the HD-598.

 

Oh and they sound amazing even from a Clip+! Can't say that about my favorite Q701 and DJ100.

post #2694 of 4317

I don't find them laid back either.  This is probably just a difference in terminology thing.

 

I find the mids to be forward, not laid back.

But I suspect others are saying the smoothness=laid back.

post #2695 of 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPulse View Post

I don't find them laid back either.  This is probably just a difference in terminology thing.

 

I find the mids to be forward, not laid back.

But I suspect others are saying the smoothness=laid back.

No no. Mid's aren't laid back. I think it's the soft treble that gives mellow feeling, making me feel like they are laid back. But they are bit laid back compared to other headphones I have. Also, the soundstage make them feel laid back.

 

That being said, being laid back is not a bad thing at all. I enjoy laid back headphones.

post #2696 of 4317

I read some of the discussion here about whether or not the 598 benefits from an amp. I just bought a C5 which is a great little amp, awesome fine volume control and great bass boost. I have it connected to an AB selector so I can switch between the C5 from an iPod Touch 4 line out and an iPhone 5 headphone out, sometimes without knowing which is which. I've been having the hardest time hearing any difference with all kinds of music, even uncompressed. Has anyone else tried this combination? Anyone hear a difference? I know that knowing your listening to a good amp can influence your opinion, so anyone else test blind?

post #2697 of 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredd View Post

I read some of the discussion here about whether or not the 598 benefits from an amp. I just bought a C5 which is a great little amp, awesome fine volume control and great bass boost. I have it connected to an AB selector so I can switch between the C5 from an iPod Touch 4 line out and an iPhone 5 headphone out, sometimes without knowing which is which. I've been having the hardest time hearing any difference with all kinds of music, even uncompressed. Has anyone else tried this combination? Anyone hear a difference? I know that knowing your listening to a good amp can influence your opinion, so anyone else test blind?

I'm not familiar with the c5 will look at it but I have a portable e11 ( they don't make a desktop one just specifying) and notice no to negligible difference, that being said I always use it, mostly just because I have it. However they do sound better IMO with a tube amp. Wether or not this is do to the extra power or just the "tube sound" is up for debate but I really liked them paired with a nice tube.
post #2698 of 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredd View Post

I read some of the discussion here about whether or not the 598 benefits from an amp. I just bought a C5 which is a great little amp, awesome fine volume control and great bass boost. I have it connected to an AB selector so I can switch between the C5 from an iPod Touch 4 line out and an iPhone 5 headphone out, sometimes without knowing which is which. I've been having the hardest time hearing any difference with all kinds of music, even uncompressed. Has anyone else tried this combination? Anyone hear a difference? I know that knowing your listening to a good amp can influence your opinion, so anyone else test blind?


The only difference I notice is when I connect these to my HT amp. It just bloats the bass even more. It's already bloated on my non-powered dac, so its pretty bad. Maybe the 300ohm spike is there for a reason, because the bass is half-way decent when running from my laptop. The bass is the only difference I noticed.

post #2699 of 4317
The bass is the only difference I hear, too -- when I turn on the bass boost. It is nice and I do hate the iPod's course volume control. But I don't know if it's enough to justify the cost and inconvenience. I'm using the Momentum cable so besides not "lugging" (yes it's tiny) the amp, I can use the pause/next button on the cable.
post #2700 of 4317

For me, with Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII, I notice that HD598 sounds smoother and has more extended treble. This is compared to HD598 with GS3.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread