- 2,661 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Seattle, WA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCowon S9 8 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black)tagged by System, 9/14/11
- productSennheiser HD448 Around the Ear Headphonestagged by System, 3/3/11
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 9/14/11
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 2/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser 598 or 595 or 558 (or maybe AT AD700)? Last post on 12/13/13 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Something as comfy as Sennheiser's but with more bass? Last post on 3/4/15 at 8:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD598 Amazon Black Friday deal $99.99! Last post on 11/29/14 at 3:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- Make your cheap headphones sound like they cost twice the price. Last post on 7/8/14 at 5:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
Construction, Materials, and Comfort: For starters, the protein leather is extremely soft and supple, and makes the ear pads and headband luxurious to touch. Heat retention actually isn't as bad...
I originally bought these after my earphones that came with my phone broke. After receiving these I was extremely pleased with the bass: it was boomy, punchy and felt powerful. These were also very...
I am an amateur recording engineer that mainly uses a laptop pc on location with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. The bus power is no doubt as noisy as a baby with a full diaper that's up way past...
NOTE: This is my first review and I'm a budding audio enthusiast. This is no pro review, just a newb trying to put audio nuances to words. These are my first pair of Balanced Armatures and I am...
Background In about 1990, when Joseph Grado was designing his HMP-1 Holographic Scalera Scanner (perfectly-matched pair of microphones for recording), he needed some detailed, neutral...
Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 175
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Funny, my babied HD598s are on the UPS truck to Amazon to be sold as used at $180. I also threw in my Sennheiser short cable (which I just complained about couple of pages up) to sweeten the deal. :)
Edited by s0ckpupp3t - 7/31/13 at 12:00pm
I got my HD598's from ADGTron and they arrived in perfect condition. The only thing is that they were shipped in an unpadded plastic bag; I was pleastantly surprised that there was no shipping damage.
Wow, they usually ship like this, still in a bag tho...
Ha Ha, are you sure you want to bring that up? Every mechanical device has a break in period to have ful performance. If there is burn in i think it would occur within a very fast period of Time and the rest is just you getting used to the sound Sig. I am not an expert by any means just my opinion. That being said they are great cans enjoy
Some headphones show very little benefit from burn in. My akg k702s changed immensely but they sounded awful new, the sound of the HD598s is quite balanced and smooth from the very beginning. And I love the looks, I think if this headphone was a car it would be Mercedes Benz e-class saloon.
I got the H598 a few days ago from an audiophile friend as a gift, and I couldn't be happier with them. Even plugged directly into my laptop, the sound is excellent. I've always loved the warm, smooth mids on these. I find myself leaning toward music that compliments the phones, such as classic rock, light modern rock, acoustics and vocal-centric recordings particularly, however I've listened to a fair bit of hard rock, metal and electronic in the last couple of days,and these cans are certainly performing.
Before I go any further, I'm not an audiophile (yet). For me, the music comes first and foremost. Equipment is for enhancing that enjoyment, and my opinions will be colored by that. I've listened in the past in short doses to the HD598, the AKG Q701 (On a Schiit Magni), the Hifiman HE-500 (On a Schiit Lyr), and prior to the 598, my listening was done primarily on a Turtle Beach X12 gaming set, which I still use. The particular set of HD598s that I now own was pre-owned and has had ample burn-in time, so that factor has been removed for me.
Now that I have that out of the way, my impressions aren't exactly groundbreaking and most have been covered in this thread by someone or another, but I'd like to share.
My first impression (aurally) when I put these on last week after some time off of hifi was the bass. While it certainly rolls off a fair bit in the sub-bass, I fell that it is very much present and audible. It extends fairly low, and it is tight and controlled in a way that initially fooled me into thinking they were hitting harder than they were. As it turns out, I had gotten used to the looser bass on the X12, and mistook the tighter punch on the 598 for impact. I'm finding the bass on these perfect for rock and metal, as they boast a tight, punchy bass that's a lot of fun with double pedals! I do feel a lack of impact with electronic music. All of the frequencies are there, but they simply lack an impact, particularly in the sub-bass, that's a significant part of my electronic experience.
After a few days of listening to these, the things that drew me to them in the first place are only more apparent. The mids are gorgeous to me: vibrant, smooth and clear. The highs are fairly clear if a little recessed in favor of the mids, and sibilance has been a non-issue thus far. The instrument separation is excellent: everything has a clear sense of place and of space. Listening fatigue is not an issue with these, and of equal importance - to me, at least - is comfort. These deliver the most comfortable listening experience I've had with headphones. The headband is light and airy, the velour pads are soft and smooth, and the whole apparatus is very lightweight - and the comfort lasts. I've had some fairly long (eight hours or more) sessions with these, and there is no sense of relief upon removing them (something that was very real after a long session with the X12). My only nitpick is that my ears do touch the backs of the cups, and I'm still a bit spoiled by the no-contact, massive cups on the X12.
All in all, of the small handful of full-sized headphones I've had the opportunity to try out, these provide the best listening experience for my needs: comfort, a balanced sound, smooth mids, and no fatigue. The next step is amplification of course. I've been leaning toward the Fiio E7, as it's portable and cheap, but I'm open to suggestions.
What a suprise, I ordered my hd 598 some days ago. I just got the replacement cable from ebay that was posted on here. So i have not a change to listen and compare them, I can only show a picture of them.
The cables look more brown then black, but they dont look bad for the ammount of money i paid for it. How they do on the headphone will be a thing for later. (of course the most important one.
- Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › Current Equivalents or Upgrades to DT-770 Pro / 80 Ohm? 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just... 6 minutes ago
- › Audioquest Nighthawk Headphones commentay 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 8 minutes ago
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 8 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › Creative Sound Blaster E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier with... by Evshrug
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluetooth Wireless Headphones by pformagg
- › RHA T20 by Cotnijoe
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)