- 2,661 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Seattle, WA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCowon S9 8 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black)tagged by System, 9/14/11
- productSennheiser HD448 Around the Ear Headphonestagged by System, 3/3/11
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 9/14/11
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 2/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser 598 or 595 or 558 (or maybe AT AD700)? Last post on 12/13/13 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser ear pads make my ears hot. Last post on 8/4/13 at 11:00am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD 595 replacement? Any other than HD 598? Last post on 6/2/13 at 11:29am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Most Comfortable full sized Headphones Last post on 6/12/13 at 7:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share if it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 175
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Funny, my babied HD598s are on the UPS truck to Amazon to be sold as used at $180. I also threw in my Sennheiser short cable (which I just complained about couple of pages up) to sweeten the deal. :)
Edited by s0ckpupp3t - 7/31/13 at 12:00pm
I got my HD598's from ADGTron and they arrived in perfect condition. The only thing is that they were shipped in an unpadded plastic bag; I was pleastantly surprised that there was no shipping damage.
Wow, they usually ship like this, still in a bag tho...
Ha Ha, are you sure you want to bring that up? Every mechanical device has a break in period to have ful performance. If there is burn in i think it would occur within a very fast period of Time and the rest is just you getting used to the sound Sig. I am not an expert by any means just my opinion. That being said they are great cans enjoy
Some headphones show very little benefit from burn in. My akg k702s changed immensely but they sounded awful new, the sound of the HD598s is quite balanced and smooth from the very beginning. And I love the looks, I think if this headphone was a car it would be Mercedes Benz e-class saloon.
I got the H598 a few days ago from an audiophile friend as a gift, and I couldn't be happier with them. Even plugged directly into my laptop, the sound is excellent. I've always loved the warm, smooth mids on these. I find myself leaning toward music that compliments the phones, such as classic rock, light modern rock, acoustics and vocal-centric recordings particularly, however I've listened to a fair bit of hard rock, metal and electronic in the last couple of days,and these cans are certainly performing.
Before I go any further, I'm not an audiophile (yet). For me, the music comes first and foremost. Equipment is for enhancing that enjoyment, and my opinions will be colored by that. I've listened in the past in short doses to the HD598, the AKG Q701 (On a Schiit Magni), the Hifiman HE-500 (On a Schiit Lyr), and prior to the 598, my listening was done primarily on a Turtle Beach X12 gaming set, which I still use. The particular set of HD598s that I now own was pre-owned and has had ample burn-in time, so that factor has been removed for me.
Now that I have that out of the way, my impressions aren't exactly groundbreaking and most have been covered in this thread by someone or another, but I'd like to share.
My first impression (aurally) when I put these on last week after some time off of hifi was the bass. While it certainly rolls off a fair bit in the sub-bass, I fell that it is very much present and audible. It extends fairly low, and it is tight and controlled in a way that initially fooled me into thinking they were hitting harder than they were. As it turns out, I had gotten used to the looser bass on the X12, and mistook the tighter punch on the 598 for impact. I'm finding the bass on these perfect for rock and metal, as they boast a tight, punchy bass that's a lot of fun with double pedals! I do feel a lack of impact with electronic music. All of the frequencies are there, but they simply lack an impact, particularly in the sub-bass, that's a significant part of my electronic experience.
After a few days of listening to these, the things that drew me to them in the first place are only more apparent. The mids are gorgeous to me: vibrant, smooth and clear. The highs are fairly clear if a little recessed in favor of the mids, and sibilance has been a non-issue thus far. The instrument separation is excellent: everything has a clear sense of place and of space. Listening fatigue is not an issue with these, and of equal importance - to me, at least - is comfort. These deliver the most comfortable listening experience I've had with headphones. The headband is light and airy, the velour pads are soft and smooth, and the whole apparatus is very lightweight - and the comfort lasts. I've had some fairly long (eight hours or more) sessions with these, and there is no sense of relief upon removing them (something that was very real after a long session with the X12). My only nitpick is that my ears do touch the backs of the cups, and I'm still a bit spoiled by the no-contact, massive cups on the X12.
All in all, of the small handful of full-sized headphones I've had the opportunity to try out, these provide the best listening experience for my needs: comfort, a balanced sound, smooth mids, and no fatigue. The next step is amplification of course. I've been leaning toward the Fiio E7, as it's portable and cheap, but I'm open to suggestions.
What a suprise, I ordered my hd 598 some days ago. I just got the replacement cable from ebay that was posted on here. So i have not a change to listen and compare them, I can only show a picture of them.
The cables look more brown then black, but they dont look bad for the ammount of money i paid for it. How they do on the headphone will be a thing for later. (of course the most important one.
- Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 36 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 45 seconds ago
- › Woodied Grado 325i 1 minute ago
- › UM Pro 30 for sale 2 minutes ago
- › = Hifiman Regrilling Mod = 2 minutes ago
- › Best Headphones Under $200 (Bias Free) 3 minutes ago
- › Tralucent DacAmp One - Introduction - Impressions Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Westone UM PRO 30 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)