Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 164

post #2446 of 4280

That's very interesting and really good to know. Thanks for sharing! darthsmile.gif haha I don't even have red headphones LOL.

post #2447 of 4280
They do require some augmentation to spring to life. That being said, I find them "adequate" without.
post #2448 of 4280

Sounds okay without amping, sounds great with one good one.

post #2449 of 4280

are you referring to amp/DAC combo or just an amp (ie E6?)

post #2450 of 4280
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnewylliw View Post

are you referring to amp/DAC combo or just an amp (ie E6?)

It's really hard to say because how do you replace the original source dac and then go into the original source amplifier unless you were using separates from the beginning? My sense of it is the dac is the greater impact on the 598 from typical source components as the 598 isn't that power hungry.
post #2451 of 4280
I guess I meant for laptop , ie a USB input amp/DAC combo vs portable coming out of the headphone jack
post #2452 of 4280
I know the bass is a bit low on these (at least compared to some other cans), but how do they fair with rap and r&b.
How do they do with rock vs sr225i/325i?
They'll be amped with an iPod touch 4g, and galaxy 5 player. Or sa ht680.
post #2453 of 4280
With just straight from a dap, the bass does sound a bit light. But amp them properly, like through an asgard, the bass gets a good amount of boost in both quality and quantity. Though they will never be basshead headphones, no matter what gear you plug them into.

I can only compare them to sr80i. Unamped, the feel the grado is better for rock. Not sure about rap anf rnb though. Amped, the 598 is better than sr80i for any music. My experience anyway. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by NZheadcase - 5/22/13 at 5:58pm
post #2454 of 4280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

I know the bass is a bit low on these (at least compared to some other cans), but how do they fair with rap and r&b.
How do they do with rock vs sr225i/325i?
They'll be amped with an iPod touch 4g, and galaxy 5 player. Or sa ht680.

For rock, grados are very very good. HD598 has soft and mellow sound with soft highs. Rock needs hard hitting bass, forward mids, and aggressive highs, and grado perfectly suits. There is a saying "Grado is rock, and rock is Grado"(IDK where I heard this) and there is a reason for that.

post #2455 of 4280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

I know the bass is a bit low on these (at least compared to some other cans), but how do they fair with rap and r&b.
How do they do with rock vs sr225i/325i?
They'll be amped with an iPod touch 4g, and galaxy 5 player. Or sa ht680.

 

I would not recommend these for rap and r&b. The bass just doesn't extend low enough, regardless of amping. Even my Q701 reaches way deeper into the sub bass than these do. The HD 598 does many things very well, but rap and r&b are not on that list.

 

Rock on the other hand is quite good. Excellent midrange that brings out details in guitar and vocals and a punchy midbass for kick drum.

post #2456 of 4280
Rock is good on these for details, but the bass is lacking! If you want a good all around rock/rap headphone, I would hit up the UE 6000 or the ATH m50s
post #2457 of 4280
Had the m50. Don't want the ue6000, which seems to be a downgrade from what I already have, which are the mdr 1r and ath ws99. I don't want basshead bass, somewhere around mdr 7506 (and my 7506 clamps extremely lightly, so post of the seal is off).
I was thinking these, grado sr225i, or sr325i.

The sound signature i'm looking for is neutral bass, neutral mids, and emphasized highs.
post #2458 of 4280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

Had the m50. Don't want the ue6000, which seems to be a downgrade from what I already have, which are the mdr 1r and ath ws99. I don't want basshead bass, somewhere around mdr 7506 (and my 7506 clamps extremely lightly, so post of the seal is off).
I was thinking these, grado sr225i, or sr325i.

The sound signature i'm looking for is neutral bass, neutral mids, and emphasized highs.

HD598 would be good. AT AD900X as well
post #2459 of 4280
I wonder how these fair against the ma900.

I had the ma900 but I had a build issue so I returned it.
post #2460 of 4280
Could you please describe your feeling in more details?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread