Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 157

post #2341 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrizzt View Post

Yes, i was so surprised when i received the Fiio E17 compared to my integrated soundcard, the difference is so huge, it's like i upgraded my cans to me, everything is so mych clear, impactfull, sharp, larger in soundstage, impressive how this little device can make the big difference.

598 with the E17 is good. But ther's another big jump in quality if you use a desktop amp like asgard. From there, asgard to higher level amp does not improve the 598 much more. But a proper desktop amp under $500 should give you a definite improvement over the fiio.

smily_headphones1.gif
post #2342 of 4278

I' in agreement with the asgard recommendation.  much better than any portable amp I have used.  In fact with the fact that they are open and respond better to the asgard, I have quit using mine as portable and confine them to my main system. 

post #2343 of 4278
I had the Asgard/HD598 combo for a while. Honestly I couldnt hear the difference between the Asgard and plugged right into my iPod.
post #2344 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post

I' in agreement with the asgard recommendation.  much better than any portable amp I have used.  In fact with the fact that they are open and respond better to the asgard, I have quit using mine as portable and confine them to my main system. 

 

I have a similar issue... so, what are you using for more portable phones?

 

I love my 598s, but they are not convenient to carry around and people at work were making of fun of the '70s styling wink.gif

post #2345 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

 

I have a similar issue... so, what are you using for more portable phones?

 

I love my 598s, but they are not convenient to carry around and people at work were making of fun of the '70s styling wink.gif

70's styling? lol.

 

Did you atleast defend us? I would've made fun of their face, dogs, shoes, body smell, pretend girlfriends... or something.

post #2346 of 4278

Expensive amps don't necessarily improve sound.

post #2347 of 4278

Hello HD598 owners

 

I was wondering how to tell if hd5*8 are made from old plastic? is anything changed in design?

 

Thanks

post #2348 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by RochRx7 View Post

70's styling? lol.

 

Did you atleast defend us? I would've made fun of their face, dogs, shoes, body smell, pretend girlfriends... or something.

 

I think I mentioned this in an earlier post, or somewhere else on Head-Fi, but a co-worker asked me if my phones (HD-598) were an old pair that I had borrowed from my dad - and he was being completely serious.

 

You have to admit, the style and color is, well, a little throw-back and not really in a good way.  I mean, beige with burl wood accents?  I am as sick of 'all black everything...' as the next guy, but c'mon L3000.gif

post #2349 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

 

I think I mentioned this in an earlier post, or somewhere else on Head-Fi, but a co-worker asked me if my phones (HD-598) were an old pair that I had borrowed from my dad - and he was being completely serious.

 

You have to admit, the style and color is, well, a little throw-back and not really in a good way.  I mean, beige with burl wood accents?  I am as sick of 'all black everything...' as the next guy, but c'mon L3000.gif

I guess I'm just a sucker for that vintage look. I'm not that old I don't think (26)..

 

Personally. I love them. And the Koss Pro4AAs.. but that's for another thread :)

post #2350 of 4278

Got the 598 yesterday, finally! I seriously have yet to see more beautiful headphones. Sound is OK, can't really compare it to anything else but some Nokia headphones. But I couldn't hear a difference between FLAC and mp3... probably my ears, right guys?

 

edit: Tried youtube vs flac - there IS a difference, but can't say better or worse, just different.

edit2: Move along, there is some controversy about this.


Edited by lethias - 4/17/13 at 1:47pm
post #2351 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by RochRx7 View Post

70's styling? lol.

 

Did you atleast defend us? I would've made fun of their face, dogs, shoes, body smell, pretend girlfriends... or something.

 

I get the 70s thing. They kind of remind me of my grandma's Mercury Brougham dashboard now that I think of it...

post #2352 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatboyMac View Post

Expensive amps don't necessarily improve sound.

While that is true, cheap amps worsens the sound through distortion, so expensive amps makes sound little less distorted compared to cheap integrated amps.

post #2353 of 4278

Hi all,

 

Could you please tell me, at which volume level do you listen to your HD598 when connected to the FIIO e17 (while using the DAC).

 

I connect my using the optical cable, and the volume I have it at is 25. Just want to confirm that I am not going to loss hearing due to the volume.

 

Daniel

post #2354 of 4278

Depends on the music you're listening to. 

 

Usually I have it on High Gain at 25. On medium gain, 32. 

 

Rock, I go lower. classics, jazz, folk, I usually go several clicks higher.  

post #2355 of 4278
Hi HZHeadcase, Thanks for your comment. I forgot to mention that I use 0dB gain at 25 volume level. When I set it at 6dB gain, the volume goes down to 22. I notice you use a relatively high volume, could you please explain how do you connect the source to the e17? (usb, optical, coaxial?) More or less, do you have any idea how loud are the HD598 when the volume is at 32 with 0dB gain? I was afraid that 25 was too loud to be healthy :) Thanks again, Daniel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread