Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread - Page 135

post #2011 of 3866
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimmycham View Post

Why are all of these people soldering anything?

The cable is detachable..

Am I missing something here?

 

Because the stock cable is a 2.55mm cable or something like that and at one time there was no cable upgrades available.

Then you still have the internal wires going to the driver.

 

I rewired my HD-598 with Mogami straight to the drivers so that I got 100% of the benefit of a recable.

 

It's kind of a hassle though and not suggested.

 

Only cost me maybe $5 in parts though.

post #2012 of 3866
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Because the stock cable is a 2.55mm cable or something like that and at one time there was no cable upgrades available.

Then you still have the internal wires going to the driver.

 

I rewired my HD-598 with Mogami straight to the drivers so that I got 100% of the benefit of a recable.

 

It's kind of a hassle though and not suggested.

 

Only cost me maybe $5 in parts though.

 

If I were to buy something like a 3.5mm Mogami cable, along with a 3.5 to 2.5mm convertor/adapter to fit into the phones, would this give me the same (or nearly the same) quality upgrade as yours?


Edited by chimmycham - 2/3/13 at 1:37am
post #2013 of 3866

http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths combined with my own experiences trying out different cables in different part of audio systems still makes me wonder if replacing the cable really makes a difference

post #2014 of 3866

is there anywhere to buy a shorter cable for the 598 with just the 3.5m jack on it.....i think i'm going to get my friend to rig it for me if not, he is einstein with musical equipment

post #2015 of 3866
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerbnd View Post

is there anywhere to buy a shorter cable for the 598 with just the 3.5m jack on it.....i think i'm going to get my friend to rig it for me if not, he is einstein with musical equipment

Here you go mate 

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/custom-cable-mb02-cable-stereo-3.5mm-socket-stereo-6.3mm-plug.html

post #2016 of 3866

The problem I realized with new cables is that they are not going to have the 'twist and lock' feature.

post #2017 of 3866

Keep in mind that the 3.5m jack on the headphones is a four connections available. You will see that the standard jack has 3 black rings instead of the usual two. I am not sure if a standard stereo jack will work depending on how the two independent ground's are layout.

post #2018 of 3866

Until I pick up an Amp/DAC, would it be better to use this:

Yamaha HTR-5835

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HTR-5835-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B000F4XO4U

 

or my 2011 Macbook Pro?

 

for music.

post #2019 of 3866
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

probably the HD700, and the HD800 if you wallet can handle it, but do note starting from the HD650 you are going to have to pick your amps wisely. a lightly amped HD650 would probably sound worse than a lightly amped HD598 (used C-entrance DACport to test). but if properly amped the HD650 would probably outshine the HD598. but do note that the amps are probably going to be expensive as heck too.
or you could head in a different direction and get the HE500 or LCD2 if you ever want a darker sound signature.

Thanks for the information.   The HD700  is $1,000, and HD800 is $1,500.   And I thought $200 was quite a lot of money!   I may have to hold off on that for now.

post #2020 of 3866
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimmycham View Post

Until I pick up an Amp/DAC, would it be better to use this:

Yamaha HTR-5835

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HTR-5835-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B000F4XO4U

 

or my 2011 Macbook Pro?

 

for music.


I don't own an Apple device, but in my case, the headphones sound better (especially with more bass) on my stereo integrated amplifier than on computer alone (with no amp) or portable devices. If you own it, it's probably a good idea to place the reciever between the laptop and headphones acting as an amp.

post #2021 of 3866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headstar View Post


I don't own an Apple device, but in my case, the headphones sound better (especially with more bass) on my stereo integrated amplifier than on computer alone (with no amp) or portable devices. If you own it, it's probably a good idea to place the reciever between the laptop and headphones acting as an amp.

 

 

That's what I as thinking. Thanks.
 

post #2022 of 3866

I've been using XDA (on my Mac) to covert all of my FLAC files to Apple Lossless, so that I could play them with big music players like iTunes.

Now that I will have my first audiophile phones (Sennheiser HD598), would re-downloading the original FLACs benefit me?

post #2023 of 3866
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimmycham View Post

I've been using XDA (on my Mac) to covert all of my FLAC files to Apple Lossless, so that I could play them with big music players like iTunes.

Now that I will have my first audiophile phones (Sennheiser HD598), would re-downloading the original FLACs benefit me?

try out some first, of you can hear a difference between the FLAC and your default file counterpart, its definitely worth it. (do note about the plaecebo effect)

post #2024 of 3866

as far as i know, if you use good decoder apple losless is the same as flac, only that aalc is acceptable by apple products..?confused.gif

post #2025 of 3866

Apple Lossless (M4A) is apparently the same quality as FLAC.

(If converted from FLAC/ALAC)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread