Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 598 Appreciation Thread - Page 8

post #106 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

I don't agree with this and that's a bit overkill, but just my opinion. I just had to comment. I do love the HD-598 though! I think overall the HD-650 is the better headphone, but the HD-598 is generally more fun to listen and a better match for my music. Of course this all depends on the amp and the cable. I really disliked the HD-650 out of the Asgard and on the E9 it's rather dull and lifeless, but not as much as the HD-600 (with stock cable). I think you really would have to compare the 598 and HD-650 side by side.

 

If you mean an upgrade in some areas, then I can understand. To me the HD-598 has better imaging, comfort, a larger soundstage, a more neutral sound and more engaging mids. The HD-598 is easier to drive and like though. The difference between sound clarity and the level of detail between the HD-650 and 598 is like night and day to me.

 

I think it all comes down to preference. The HD-650 for me seemed to be very very picky about amps. I didn't love mine until I got my Micro Amp. Same with my K702 until I bought the E9. I do think the 598 is better for more people and is much easier to like. The HD-650 is still not perfect. I wish it just had a clearer sound that was as clear as the K702. Still not too bad. BTW I had the silver screened version and I tried the old version years ago and hated it.

 

I attempted to go with the HD-600 instead over the 650, but that thing put me to sleep, but I did love how more neutral it sounded compared to the HD-650. I'm not a huge fan of the bass on the HD-650. HD-600 was also far better for movies and games than the 650.

 

I can't wait to see a K601 vs HD-598 review. I could do one but I hate over-analyzing my headphones these days. It stops me from enjoying them and it gets old fast.

 

BTW I would say the HD-598 is an upgrade to the OLD (non-silver screened) HD-600. Someone will hate me for saying this, but it's true. I do think the HD-600 (silver screen) is slightly more clear and less grainy, but it sucks the life out of music compared to the HD-598. The HD-598 also feels brighter than the HD-600 until you upgrade it to the HD-650 cable.

 

Well, let's clear that up just a bit. I've heard of the HD650's insane potential with the right components, mainly a stellar amp. With that, no doubt they would smash the HD598. But from the basics, or cheaper budget amps (MKIII for instance), I find the HD598 an all around better headphone. I will admit, I like the HD598 in a majority of aspects over the HD650, but not all. No doubt the HD650 wins on clarity and dynamics. But then again, the margin of difference isn't that huge either. I'm finding the term, "detail" to be one of the hardest things to judge, because I'm still hearing everything with my AD700 or FX67's compared to my DT880, HD650, Pro 900, or RS1i. I think with detail, just comes the term, "presenting the details". Clarity is probably a better word in my opinion. In that case, the HD650 does win out on that, and it does win in the bass as well. But the HD598 wins on price, soundstage, comfort, sound signature, mids, and energy. The HD650 with the right amp and cables? I couldn't imagine. But I wish they put that sort of technology in the form of the HD598.

post #107 of 3584

If the HD800 was the king of Sennheiser land, then the HD598 is the romantic, smooth-talking prince of the land. The HD6XX brothers may be a bit more mature but ultimately more unattractive and fat. HD598 will inherit the land when he comes of age at 698 or 798. Time will tell.


 

post #108 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

If the HD800 was the king of Sennheiser land, then the HD598 is the romantic, smooth-talking prince of the land. The HD6XX brothers may be a bit more mature but ultimately more unattractive and fat. HD598 will inherit the land when he comes of age at 698 or 798. Time will tell.

 

Haha, awesome post! I hope Sennheiser is taking notes...

 

"The HD6XX brothers may be a bit more mature but ultimately more unattractive and fat". LOL!

post #109 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

 

Haha, awesome post! I hope Sennheiser is taking notes...

 

"The HD6XX brothers may be a bit more mature but ultimately more unattractive and fat". LOL!

Yup, this is the first time that I felt Sennheiser made something that sounded right. I hope they keep it up. I will most likely get a review done, but I don't have a bunch of headphones to compare right now so I don't much relevant comparison points. Very few people have heard the ATH W11R so comparisons with that isn't very helpful, though they sound almost like twins. I'd have to compare them to my memory of other headphones or other things, maybe chocolate? Cheese?
 

 


Edited by wind016 - 5/3/11 at 8:36pm
post #110 of 3584

Hmm might anyone here be able to confirm that the HD558 and the HD598 sound similar when the former is modded(which i will call the 558M? I have read the 598 is more comfortable but I seriously doubt that would be an issue as I've never had an issue with headphone comfort before and have fallen asleep with every single post head-fi headphone I've bought on multiple occasions =P. These are very tempting in my search for mid-fi sound but I don't think I want to go for the 598 if the 558M sounds so similar at a way lower price. The other options I've considered are the DT880 DT990 and K70X but the 598 sounds like it would be a really good option might anone be able to compare the soundstages of the 558M/598 and the DT880 DT990 and/or K70X? The main thing holding me back from these is consensus that they are overall less technically capable than some higher end models even if they often have a better presentation.

post #111 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

Yup, this is the first time that I felt Sennheiser made something that sounded right. I hope they keep it up. I will most likely get a review done, but I don't have a bunch of headphones to compare right now so I don't much relevant comparison points. Very few people have heard the ATH W11R so comparisons with that isn't very helpful, though they sound almost like twins. I'd have to compare them to my memory of other headphones or other things, maybe chocolate? Cheese?
 

 


I don't know why, but when I first unpackaged my HD-598 I suddenly had a craving for Banana Cream Pie. Weird Huh? I must have been hungry. Mmmmm..pie

 

post #112 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

Yup, this is the first time that I felt Sennheiser made something that sounded right.


Agreed but I would caveat 'in 15 years' on the end of that for me.  I haven't heard the HD800 yet though.  I have to say the 650 was a nice match w/ the Burson 160 though even though I tend to be averse to the Senn veil.  One reason I like the 558/598 series.

 

post #113 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonsomac View Post

Hi all guys.

 

Some days ago, i celebrated my 18 birthday.

A friends of mine want to make a present for me, and i thought i would new headphones, i never had.

I just bought in ear Sennheiser CX 300 two years ago; so i 've seen the Sennheiser 598 and i fallen in love with them, asd. Esthetically they're amazing. But i also read about crash issues... it has been fixed?

Does warranty cover this problem?

Is there a good alternative at the same price (150 euro)?

How many people bought them and they crashed?

 

Thanks :)

sennheiser covers it under warranty, they claim they fixed the prob and i would guess 80% of the ppl with batches between November-January has the cracking problem, the shure shr 880 has a similar soundstage in that price range (according to fq response charts) so give it a try
 

 

post #114 of 3584
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

If the HD800 was the king of Sennheiser land, then the HD598 is the romantic, smooth-talking prince of the land. The HD6XX brothers may be a bit more mature but ultimately more unattractive and fat. HD598 will inherit the land when he comes of age at 698 or 798. Time will tell.


That is simply an awesome way to metaphorically characterize them.. LOL. On the strength of Katun's impressions (and others, of course), I ordered these about a week ago.. looking forward to hearing these and how they stack up to my FA cans..

post #115 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post


That is simply an awesome way to metaphorically characterize them.. LOL. On the strength of Katun's impressions (and others, of course), I ordered these about a week ago.. looking forward to hearing these and how they stack up to my FA cans..

I hope you like them as much as I do right now. They are taking up most of my head time.

 

I don't feel much sound pressure or fatigue. They really sound effortless, maybe almost electrostatic-like? I'll have to compare them with my Stax Omega 2s when I finally get the amp lol
 

 

post #116 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

They really sound effortless, maybe almost electrostatic-like? 


I had the same initial impression so you aren't alone.

 

post #117 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

I hope you like them as much as I do right now. They are taking up most of my head time.

 

I don't feel much sound pressure or fatigue. They really sound effortless, maybe almost electrostatic-like? I'll have to compare them with my Stax Omega 2s when I finally get the amp lol
 

 



I'd be interested in a comparison with the LCD-2 too, which I currently have. No complaint about the sound quality, but size and weight are a bit of a problem and probably always will be. As an old admirer of the 595, I'd love to find out that the 598 is almost as good as the top models for a fraction of the price, though I know I'm probably dreaming.

 

post #118 of 3584

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post



I'd be interested in a comparison with the LCD-2 too, which I currently have. No complaint about the sound quality, but size and weight are a bit of a problem and probably always will be. As an old admirer of the 595, I'd love to find out that the 598 is almost as good as the top models for a fraction of the price, though I know I'm probably dreaming.

 


My biggest complaint about the LCD2 is it's soundstage. The HD598's soundstage is no where near as small as the LCD2. I think the HD598's soundstage rivals the AKG K7XX. AKG K7XX are more detailed, but they just don't sound natural and when something doesn't sound natural, all the detail in the world won't make it sound good. HD598's more balanced sound also makes it more versatile than the Sennheiser HD6XX and AKG KXX headphones. It's good with rock, classical, jazz, pop, you name it. It's bass is a bit lacking, but I'm already floored by how it sounds. I put on my closed headphones when I want some more bass impact to rock out to.

 

I *THINK* the HD598 sounds like a mini-Stax Omega 2. I'll have to hear them side to side eventually, but needless to say, I'm very impressed by them. Words I can characterize the HD598 are excellent soundstage, effortless, and excellent midrange response which are all the same words that I characterize the Stax Omega 2 MK1.

 

One things for sure though, they sound very similar to my W11R and I think they are the best closed headphones I've ever heard. I also think they have a better balance of mid range frequencies than the HD800.

 

Can I also add, I've never characterized another dynamic headphone with the word "effortless."

 


Edited by wind016 - 5/4/11 at 7:12pm
post #119 of 3584
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post




I don't know why, but when I first unpackaged my HD-598 I suddenly had a craving for Banana Cream Pie. Weird Huh? I must have been hungry. Mmmmm..pie

 

If you all will excuse me, I'm going to continue raving excessively about the HD598.

 

If I was to characterize the HD598 as a type of food, I would say they are cow tongue. Not foie gra, it's too expensive. More like cow tongue boiled a good 3 maybe 4 hours. It's sweet, smooth, soft, and slightly heavy. It tastes great with everything. If the HD598 was more refined, then maybe I would consider them to be foie gra, but they aren't fit for tables of high society. Maybe one day Sennheiser will make something that is worth being characterized as foie gra.

 

HD598 is cow tongue.
 

 

post #120 of 3584

Woah! You seem to really, really like these. I'm glad you do! I thought I was the only one that thought these were stellar, saying these are my favorite dynamic headphones.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

If you all will excuse me, I'm going to continue raving excessively about the HD598.

 

If I was to characterize the HD598 as a type of food, I would say they are cow tongue. Not foie gra, it's too expensive. More like cow tongue boiled a good 3 maybe 4 hours. It's sweet, smooth, soft, and slightly heavy. It tastes great with everything. If the HD598 was more refined, then maybe I would consider them to be foie gra, but they aren't fit for tables of high society. Maybe one day Sennheiser will make something that is worth being characterized as foie gra.

 

HD598 is cow tongue.


Okay. Now you're going to have to associate the rest of the Senns with food. But lets keep it to food that most of us have tried... wink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 598 Appreciation Thread