Senn freak, if you could post pictures of your mod thatd be awesome, im really interested in it. But also slightly confused, so pictures would really help clarify. Anyways, thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- Replacing my HD555's, help appreciated. Last post on 10/1/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Audiophile Last post on 5/28/11 at 4:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help deciding for a <90$ Headphone Last post on 5/26/11 at 5:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. Sennheiser HD 555 Last post on 5/26/11 at 4:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First good headphones HD595 , Now I want to try somthing different +portable amp. Lookin @... Last post on 4/11/11 at 6:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q Earphone Review - Expatinjapan Head Pie Advanced AcousticWerkes Q earphone with the Hifiman MegaMini Dap Advanced AcousticWerkes Q...
First of all, fantastic sound. Not necessarily *non-biased*, but possesses smooth highs, fantastically defined mids, and rich, powerful, yet completely not overwhelming bass. I accidentally broke...
Thinksound On2 Review: A Wonderful Wooden On-Ear With A Small Ecological Footprint I like Thinksound products. I always have, with the exception of the On1. It was a product that had so much...
Hidizs AP60 Review: A Tiny Little Fighter Hidizs is a Chinese company that’s been building DAPs for number of years now, starting with their current flagship, the AP100, a device I’ve really...
REVIEW: Remax RM-800MD Specifications: Driver: Knowles Balanced armature + 9.2mm dynamic driver Impedance: 16ohm Sensitivity: 98dB Frequency Response: 20Hz-20 kHz Price: U$D...
How are the Sennheiser HD 595? - Page 4post #46 of 6011/1/11 at 5:17pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 6011/1/11 at 5:57pmQuote:Originally Posted by Senn Freak
GUYS!!! I just came back from my local HI-FI shop where they still have demo pair of HD595, so myself and 4 other shop people have tested my modified HD595 (explained how to do in my first post) against unmodified ones. Not only that all of us thought that mine sounded far superior but we compared them with HD558, HD598 and HD650. Biggest surprise was that 3 out of 5 people when comparing them in the blind test to HD650 thought they were on a par and 2 had only very slight preference to HD650. Other models were not even in the race. That brings me to think...maybe other models could be improved by doing something similar. Some experimentation is needed. Go figure what difference 2 small pieces of plumbing tape can do. Best of all, I got these for free :)
If you want to try the mod, I suggest go ahead and do it...you'll never regret it. Maybe next week I will post some photos.
Huh...apart from the location and material type, this sounds almost the reverse of the mod to turn the HD555 into the HD595. The 555 comes with a piece of foam tape across the middle of the grille; removing this is supposed to increase bass and essentially make the 555 into the 595. I guess the tape in your mod is sound-reflective rather than sound-absorbent, which is why the effect is so different.post #48 of 6011/2/11 at 6:35am
LimeANite - yes you are correct. There is a big difference between reflective and absorbent materials. It is like difference between the size of your sub-woofer box and the amount of baffling foam that is inside that box. Location and size of those reflective or absorbent materials is important too. Believe me, modified HD595 doesn't sounds like HD555. Not even close. Even modified HD555 (after you take the foam out) doesn't sound like modified or unmodified HD595. I have very accurate audio spectrum analyzer with calibrated wide band microphones, so I do lots of testing. I tested quite a few headphones and anyone who says that after you remove the foam from HD555 they sound like HD595, they obviously never did a proper A/B test.
Deathdeisel - what's confusing you buddy? If you can find "HD555 mod" video clip on YouTube where you can see how to take them apart, and then just stick some tape over 8 bottom rows of holes on the plastic grill behind the driver, you're all done. Nothing to it. My son took possession of HD595 so taking them apart for making photos for you could take some time but I'm sure you'll do just fine without :)
Cheers!!post #49 of 6011/2/11 at 9:29am
This is what i was thinking. No offense but, for all i knew you were just screwing with people and making them do the 555 reverse lol. But again i guess it makes the difference for foam vs tape. If its just the same spot as the foam, but with tape i guess it could make sense.post #50 of 6011/2/11 at 6:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by Deathdeisel
This is what i was thinking. No offense but, for all i knew you were just screwing with people and making them do the 555 reverse lol. But again i guess it makes the difference for foam vs tape. If its just the same spot as the foam, but with tape i guess it could make sense.
I'm not screwing with people. I have no time for that. First of all - HD555s have the FOAM in the MIDDLE of grill. I am talking about TAPE on the BOTTOM, so it is NOT the same spot nor the same material. Really...I thought I was being nice to share this with other people, and bottom line is - it will take max 1/2 hour from your life to find out for yourself. Personally I couldn't care less if you try it or not.
Cheers!!post #51 of 6011/2/11 at 7:45pm
Sorry im not trying to be synical or an ass. Im just wondering. To clarify this is essentially what your talking about correct?post #52 of 6011/2/11 at 9:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by Deathdeisel
Sorry im not trying to be synical or an ass. Im just wondering. To clarify this is essentially what your talking about correct?
Yes, you got it :). Just make sure you use smooth PVC tape and not foam or tape with rough surface.
Cheers!!post #53 of 6011/2/11 at 9:24pmpost #54 of 6011/2/11 at 9:27pm
Hm, I gave it a try and honestly I couldn't tell any difference...maybe I'm doing it wrong or my ears or broken or something, but it sounded absolutely identical before and after modding to me.post #55 of 6011/3/11 at 12:27amQuote:
You should try to modify only one cup, run mono signal from your amp and then A/B left and right cups with also swapping headphones L to R and back.
Cheers!!post #56 of 6011/11/11 at 11:14pm
Gotta say the only thing ive noticed is that if i put my hand on the vents, it seems to take less coverage to get that tinny sound effect. In otherwords ive noticed nothing good.post #57 of 6012/21/11 at 1:04am
About HD595 bass modification:
Good stuff. Just found this thread. I can see that nobody posted here for sometimes, but never mind. I had Sennheiser HD595 sitting on the shelf for the last 2-3 years. I never really liked them. Main problem was lack of low frequencies and I love bass and music that has lots of it. That's just me.
Here I found information from Senn Freak and decided to try it out. Had nothing to lose. I modified only 1 cup first so that I can compare with the other "non modified" one. I don't know about you others if you tried this (maybe you are running cheap and nasty hi-fi equipment??), but to my ears I could hear the difference right away. Quite a bit. Bass has more presence and doesn't sound rattly but nice and tight. Middle ferequencies are lot smoother and less hissy and whispery. I can hear improvement on any type of music, games and movies. As said before - good stuff. Thanks and big hello from Australia!!!
Gordon G.post #58 of 601/4/12 at 1:17ampost #59 of 605/6/13 at 3:27pm
I done this mod on my foam less HD 555 and this is the way to go with modded HD 555 / 595 cans. All sound more present than before with better impact.
Here is pics of how to do it :
Edited by Robotronman - 5/6/13 at 3:28pm
- How are the Sennheiser HD 595?
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Nuforce HEM Discussion & Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Dita Audio Flagship - "The Dream" 3 minutes ago
- › 2016 Autumn Tokyo Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival October 22-23 3 minutes ago
- › Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review 3 minutes ago
- › Upgrade to New DAC or just Power Supply for Audinst HUD-MX1? 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio RC-WT1 2pin cable & generic 2pin 52" cable 4 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ExpatinJapan
- › RHA MA750i by Peter Zhang
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by Cinder
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by Cinder
- › Remax RM-800MD by Zelda
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by killerline
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by genclaymore
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...