Senn freak, if you could post pictures of your mod thatd be awesome, im really interested in it. But also slightly confused, so pictures would really help clarify. Anyways, thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- Replacing my HD555's, help appreciated. Last post on 10/1/11 at 9:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Audiophile Last post on 5/28/11 at 4:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help deciding for a <90$ Headphone Last post on 5/26/11 at 5:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR80i vs. Sennheiser HD 555 Last post on 5/26/11 at 4:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First good headphones HD595 , Now I want to try somthing different +portable amp. Lookin @... Last post on 4/11/11 at 6:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These headphones will let you know if your source is good or not. I won't repeat much of the pros and cons of this headphone that hasn't already been said. These are really comfortable for...
Out-of-box experience.....Accessories and packaging Receiving and unboxing the RHA T20 gives the impression that this product is not just "some" product. Everything signals quality and thought....
Firstly, like to thank Billy from Busisoft for organising the Westone UM PRO 10 for this review. Westone needs no introduction, they are one of the industry leaders for professional monitors...
Intro:- I was really excited when SoundMAGIC announced a couple of new earphones with a new “Reference” line up, Led by E80, their flagship, and subordinate E50( like Bumblebee), what I...
How are the Sennheiser HD 595? - Page 4post #46 of 6011/1/11 at 5:17pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 6011/1/11 at 5:57pmQuote:Originally Posted by Senn Freak
GUYS!!! I just came back from my local HI-FI shop where they still have demo pair of HD595, so myself and 4 other shop people have tested my modified HD595 (explained how to do in my first post) against unmodified ones. Not only that all of us thought that mine sounded far superior but we compared them with HD558, HD598 and HD650. Biggest surprise was that 3 out of 5 people when comparing them in the blind test to HD650 thought they were on a par and 2 had only very slight preference to HD650. Other models were not even in the race. That brings me to think...maybe other models could be improved by doing something similar. Some experimentation is needed. Go figure what difference 2 small pieces of plumbing tape can do. Best of all, I got these for free :)
If you want to try the mod, I suggest go ahead and do it...you'll never regret it. Maybe next week I will post some photos.
Huh...apart from the location and material type, this sounds almost the reverse of the mod to turn the HD555 into the HD595. The 555 comes with a piece of foam tape across the middle of the grille; removing this is supposed to increase bass and essentially make the 555 into the 595. I guess the tape in your mod is sound-reflective rather than sound-absorbent, which is why the effect is so different.post #48 of 6011/2/11 at 6:35am
LimeANite - yes you are correct. There is a big difference between reflective and absorbent materials. It is like difference between the size of your sub-woofer box and the amount of baffling foam that is inside that box. Location and size of those reflective or absorbent materials is important too. Believe me, modified HD595 doesn't sounds like HD555. Not even close. Even modified HD555 (after you take the foam out) doesn't sound like modified or unmodified HD595. I have very accurate audio spectrum analyzer with calibrated wide band microphones, so I do lots of testing. I tested quite a few headphones and anyone who says that after you remove the foam from HD555 they sound like HD595, they obviously never did a proper A/B test.
Deathdeisel - what's confusing you buddy? If you can find "HD555 mod" video clip on YouTube where you can see how to take them apart, and then just stick some tape over 8 bottom rows of holes on the plastic grill behind the driver, you're all done. Nothing to it. My son took possession of HD595 so taking them apart for making photos for you could take some time but I'm sure you'll do just fine without :)
Cheers!!post #49 of 6011/2/11 at 9:29am
This is what i was thinking. No offense but, for all i knew you were just screwing with people and making them do the 555 reverse lol. But again i guess it makes the difference for foam vs tape. If its just the same spot as the foam, but with tape i guess it could make sense.post #50 of 6011/2/11 at 6:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by Deathdeisel
This is what i was thinking. No offense but, for all i knew you were just screwing with people and making them do the 555 reverse lol. But again i guess it makes the difference for foam vs tape. If its just the same spot as the foam, but with tape i guess it could make sense.
I'm not screwing with people. I have no time for that. First of all - HD555s have the FOAM in the MIDDLE of grill. I am talking about TAPE on the BOTTOM, so it is NOT the same spot nor the same material. Really...I thought I was being nice to share this with other people, and bottom line is - it will take max 1/2 hour from your life to find out for yourself. Personally I couldn't care less if you try it or not.
Cheers!!post #51 of 6011/2/11 at 7:45pm
Sorry im not trying to be synical or an ass. Im just wondering. To clarify this is essentially what your talking about correct?post #52 of 6011/2/11 at 9:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by Deathdeisel
Sorry im not trying to be synical or an ass. Im just wondering. To clarify this is essentially what your talking about correct?
Yes, you got it :). Just make sure you use smooth PVC tape and not foam or tape with rough surface.
Cheers!!post #53 of 6011/2/11 at 9:24pmpost #54 of 6011/2/11 at 9:27pm
Hm, I gave it a try and honestly I couldn't tell any difference...maybe I'm doing it wrong or my ears or broken or something, but it sounded absolutely identical before and after modding to me.post #55 of 6011/3/11 at 12:27amQuote:
You should try to modify only one cup, run mono signal from your amp and then A/B left and right cups with also swapping headphones L to R and back.
Cheers!!post #56 of 6011/11/11 at 11:14pm
Gotta say the only thing ive noticed is that if i put my hand on the vents, it seems to take less coverage to get that tinny sound effect. In otherwords ive noticed nothing good.post #57 of 6012/21/11 at 1:04am
About HD595 bass modification:
Good stuff. Just found this thread. I can see that nobody posted here for sometimes, but never mind. I had Sennheiser HD595 sitting on the shelf for the last 2-3 years. I never really liked them. Main problem was lack of low frequencies and I love bass and music that has lots of it. That's just me.
Here I found information from Senn Freak and decided to try it out. Had nothing to lose. I modified only 1 cup first so that I can compare with the other "non modified" one. I don't know about you others if you tried this (maybe you are running cheap and nasty hi-fi equipment??), but to my ears I could hear the difference right away. Quite a bit. Bass has more presence and doesn't sound rattly but nice and tight. Middle ferequencies are lot smoother and less hissy and whispery. I can hear improvement on any type of music, games and movies. As said before - good stuff. Thanks and big hello from Australia!!!
Gordon G.post #58 of 601/4/12 at 1:17ampost #59 of 605/6/13 at 3:27pm
I done this mod on my foam less HD 555 and this is the way to go with modded HD 555 / 595 cans. All sound more present than before with better impact.
Here is pics of how to do it :
Edited by Robotronman - 5/6/13 at 3:28pm
- How are the Sennheiser HD 595?
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device 7 seconds ago
- › Hey from DC, Starting HFi Journey, 1K or less 14 seconds ago
- › Hey guys! I'm an audiophile reviewer from S.Korea currently... 55 seconds ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 2 minutes ago
- › How To: Process High Resolution Music Files 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › K701 vs K702 Anniversary vs K601 vs K612 vs K712- Compare to each... 3 minutes ago
- › Dither is a prime suspect 4 minutes ago
- › The Pono Player Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by snellemin
- › Don Scorpio sMushroom HD Bluetooth iem by Baycode
- › RHA T20 by rasmushorn
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by pformagg
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by suman134
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by Lunatique
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)