Related Forum Threads
- Bass IEM Last post on 5/25/11 at 4:34pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help picking new IEMs Last post on 5/18/10 at 2:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for high quality in ears. Need help! Last post on 11/18/12 at 5:41pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for quality Earphones or IEMS for $100 Last post on 8/18/12 at 11:15am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Help with choosing IEM Last post on 7/14/12 at 7:30am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
At the time this review was written the FLC 8S was listed for sale on Amazon and Musicteck’s website. Here are links for more information and purchase....
The review you are about to read is very personal and contains details some might find boring or unimportant. You have been warned. My personal search for a great headphone began with a love...
Want something a bit better sounding than your cell phone, with the ability to carry your whole lossless music collection? Enter, Sony Walkman NW-A35. This new release from Sony features five...
Doesn't anyone else care about the shape of the plug? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 262/21/11 at 12:09pm
I'm one of the minority who prefers the "I" (straight-angle) to the "L" (90 degree) plugs. I recently found this site about two months ago after years of buying new skullcandy inks every month (I know ) and I now have an ER6I and a MTPG, and both have the L shaped plugs. I find it's often annoying putting my I-Pod 160 GB Classic 6th generation in my pocket since the top part of the "L" will often get caught on the outside of my pocket, disconnecting the IEM. I usually have to very carefully put it in my pocket, and if it's especially tight it can be quite annoying especially with the MTPG which for some reason HAS to be fully inserted; if I pull on it the tiniest bit the sound in one channel disappears.
What is the advantage of a L shaped plug exactly? I can see it working more easily with MP3 players where it goes on the side,but how does it prevent the jack from being damaged when the MP3 player is dropped or whatever. Also it seems that almost all high tier IEM's have the L shaped plug.post #18 of 262/21/11 at 2:59pmThread Starter
I don't believe that it's bad to wrap the cable around the mp3 player (with an L-plug). There is no stress at all. With an I-plug, yeah, which is the reason i need an L. There is no way i'd carry a carrying case around. I have a nano that doesn't take up any room in my pocket and it's on me at all times. I don't need anything else in my pockets or anything else to think about.post #19 of 262/21/11 at 3:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by rank08822
What is the advantage of a L shaped plug exactly? I can see it working more easily with MP3 players where it goes on the side,but how does it prevent the jack from being damaged when the MP3 player is dropped or whatever. Also it seems that almost all high tier IEM's have the L shaped plug.
I think the jack would be as safe if not safer when dropped, if it was an I plug. If it was L-shaped, it would just jam the plug in further, whereas if it was a straight plug it wouldn't really be able the land on it, at the worst it would bounce on the wire a little bit and land on a different side.post #20 of 262/21/11 at 3:40pm
I really don't have much of a preference except if I want to use my impedance adapter in between then I prefer straight plug.
I know that I have radio that worked fine and always used straight plug phones on it. When I started using the Senn MX471 with the L plug it soon started to develop a short in the jack.
L plug is not always better. It depends on jack placement and the plug size as well.post #21 of 262/21/11 at 3:48pm
I prefer the L plug as when I had an I plug and had my iPod Classic in the pocket of my jeans, the long I plug would stress against my thigh leaving me paranoid about breaking the cable/plug.post #22 of 262/21/11 at 5:50pm
I prefer an I shaped plug for the most part. It is more convenient to have a straight plug with my J3 and my dac/amp. I don't like the cables bending esp around the plug and since my J3 has the headphone out on the bottom of the player a straight plug works better that way.post #23 of 262/21/11 at 6:36pm
I also much prefer the straight plug on my HM-602. The jack is on the top of the player so it makes sense. Plus it does not catch onto anything when it is in my pocket. I never wrap my IEM around my player. It always goes back into its case after every single use. I doubt my IEMs would ever break on me as I think I take of my stuff well plus I'm very anal about how I wrap them too.post #24 of 262/21/11 at 7:51pm
It depends on the DAP I'm using. With my Sansa Fuze v2, with its jack on the bottom, I greatly prefer an I-plug so that it easily slips into a pocket without snagging or placing strain on the jack and plug. For my Clip+ with its jack on the side, an L-plug is essential. I can't stand 45° plugs and have yet to understand what they're intended to accomplish.post #25 of 262/21/11 at 8:10pmpost #26 of 262/21/11 at 9:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by EasilyPersuaded
I don't believe that it's bad to wrap the cable around the mp3 player (with an L-plug). There is no stress at all. With an I-plug, yeah, which is the reason i need an L. There is no way i'd carry a carrying case around. I have a nano that doesn't take up any room in my pocket and it's on me at all times. I don't need anything else in my pockets or anything else to think about.
Well, either you choose some extra bulk in your pocket, or you worry about the shape of plugs and/or need to buy a new pair of earphones often. It is your choice to wrap the cable around the player. But sooner or later the cable will break.
If you do not want the extra bulk, how about just unplugging the earphones and putting them in another pocket? I used to do that before. But when I started buying more expensive earbuds I did not want to risk them breaking while in my pocket. So then a $3 case was a good insurance against that.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Doesn't anyone else care about the shape of the plug?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton -... 6 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 21 seconds ago
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 1 minute ago
- › Electrostatic VS Dynamic drivers 1 minute ago
- › High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and... 2 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB... 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 2 minutes ago
- › Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio "Heritage Series" - "Lionheart" - NEW PRODUCT LAUNCH! 3 minutes ago
- › Show us your vintage headphones! 3 minutes ago
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear