Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Noobie here. Ordered some Grado SR60i's..what am I getting into?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Noobie here. Ordered some Grado SR60i's..what am I getting into? - Page 3

post #31 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardKing1 View Post

Yaay a troll =D

 

I was honest enough to admit I had never heard them, which a lot of people in this forum won't admit. And I don't need to have ever heard a Stax headphone to know it is amazing. I have however read a lot about the SR60i and the SR60 and the SR80/80i, and there was a general consensus about lacking of bass, even with the upgraded driver in the "i" series. If the OP had asked a more complex question I wouldn't ever get in the middle of it, but he stated to be a noob and I told him what I have read here, which was very straight-forward. Apparently all the commenters above own the magical models of the SR60 which leads them to believe they have huge ammounts of bass, because I've read a lot more people stating they don't have.

 

I clearly stated I haven't tried them, what's the big deal? I just said what a lot of people hold to be the truth about these, and never pretended to be the Grado God you seem to be.

 

Second I never stated there was no difference between FLAC and 128 MP3. Never. Go read my post. I stated that since he is a self-admited noob and is running it through a PC stock soundboard, with no external amping or DAC, he probably won't notice the difference. That's all. No one here will state that FLAC and MP3 are the same, of course there's a difference, but try catching it on Apple iBuds.

 

Third, maybe reading the OP's post actually? He listens to Trance. Trance. If you are even suggesting the SR60i are the best choice for Trance, you own a pair as much as I do.


Howdy. for your viewing pleasure, a graph comparing the Frequency response of the sr60i and HD650

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=393&graphID[]=853

 

Just in case you've never seen a frequency response graph before, I'll give you a simple run-down. The left side is where the bass happens, the right side is where the highs happen. The bass is maybe 5db lower than a HD650, so your saying they aren't known for their bass might be true, but it isn't really a fault compared to other headphones. Another thing I'd like to say is that you really need to at least hear a headphone before recommending (or not recommending) them to new users. I find it funny that you praise STAX systems so highly, when a common fault is their bass amount (in the lower end models). Disclaimer: STAX still are awesome, but the bass is lower than the rest of the spectrum.

 

Lastly, trance sounds good on these. There isn't massive bass, like many trance users like, but the bass is tight and not boomy.

 

Sorry OP, I didn't want this to turn into a big argument.

post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing View Post

Anyway, I will still stand by my perspective that Grado is just another torture device or Iron Maiden - not the most comfortable thing to put over the head or ears. 


I will admit that the comfort is awful, and that's why I sold my first pair. However, after owning several other headphones, I came back and I bought another pair for their sound.

 

And OP, there is a simple mod in the sr60 mod thread that gives the phones more bass.

post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post




Howdy. for your viewing pleasure, a graph comparing the Frequency response of the sr60i and HD650

 

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=393&graphID[]=853

 

Just in case you've never seen a frequency response graph before, I'll give you a simple run-down. The left side is where the bass happens, the right side is where the highs happen. The bass is maybe 5db lower than a HD650, so your saying they aren't known for their bass might be true, but it isn't really a fault compared to other headphones. Another thing I'd like to say is that you really need to at least hear a headphone before recommending (or not recommending) them to new users. I find it funny that you praise STAX systems so highly, when a common fault is their bass amount (in the lower end models). Disclaimer: STAX still are awesome, but the bass is lower than the rest of the spectrum.

 

Lastly, trance sounds good on these. There isn't massive bass, like many trance users like, but the bass is tight and not boomy.

 

Sorry OP, I didn't want this to turn into a big argument.


It shouldn't turn into an argument. I agree with your sentiments entirely, and you make it hard to argue with with the graphs. However... I shall say this... the graphs are never absolute. Impressions upon hearing and what the graphs show may be slightly different. Not terribly so, but there is no substitute for a good ol' fashioned demo.

post #34 of 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post


I will admit that the comfort is awful, and that's why I sold my first pair. However, after owning several other headphones, I came back and I bought another pair for their sound.

 

 


I might go back to Grado one day too. I do miss the sound... 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post




It shouldn't turn into an argument. I agree with your sentiments entirely, and you make it hard to argue with with the graphs. However... I shall say this... the graphs are never absolute. Impressions upon hearing and what the graphs show may be slightly different. Not terribly so, but there is no substitute for a good ol' fashioned demo.


Argument? It's an exchange of ideas. :)

 

Anyway, frequency response graph is useful only for technical knowledge. As our hearing is very very subjective and experience-based, frequency response graph often mean naught. the experiential listening experience is one of the main reason why despite whatever is in the graph, two people listening to the same equipment may come out with two different opinions, e.g. one saying the headphone is bassy and another saying that the bass is weak.  

 

Frequency response graphs are good for A/B reviews though, cos they are one of the few things that give meat to merit certain cans. They are great tool for marketing purposes too. Imagine how Sony is able to sell some of their new XB series by pursuading those bassheads wannabe, just through the graphs. Powerful tool such are.


Oh, don't worry about the left-most and right-most bits too. Very few people could actually detect <20Hz and >20,000 Hz range. 

post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing View Post


I might go back to Grado one day too. I do miss the sound... 

 

 


Argument? It's an exchange of ideas. :)

 

Anyway, frequency response graph is useful only for technical knowledge. As our hearing is very very subjective and experience-based, frequency response graph often mean naught. the experiential listening experience is one of the main reason why despite whatever is in the graph, two people listening to the same equipment may come out with two different opinions, e.g. one saying the headphone is bassy and another saying that the bass is weak.  

 

Frequency response graphs are good for A/B reviews though, cos they are one of the few things that give meat to merit certain cans. They are great tool for marketing purposes too. Imagine how Sony is able to sell some of their new XB series by pursuading those bassheads wannabe, just through the graphs. Powerful tool such are.


Oh, don't worry about the left-most and right-most bits too. Very few people could actually detect <20Hz and >20,000 Hz range. 


So its like a debate! Yes... I see it now! Regardless I don't think you read my post fully... Because you echoed what I said about frequency graphs not projecting what a person would hear, but oh well... Graphs can be used for many things. And you are correct about human hearing... But with speakers you can feel sub 20Hz.

post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post




So its like a debate! Yes... I see it now! Regardless I don't think you read my post fully... Because you echoed what I said about frequency graphs not projecting what a person would hear, but oh well... Graphs can be used for many things. And you are correct about human hearing... But with speakers you can feel sub 20Hz.

 

I'm standing on your side. Can't be debating with someone who has similar point of view. Need Bob (that says "Hi" of all things) to complete the argument. 
 

post #37 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post

It shouldn't turn into an argument. I agree with your sentiments entirely, and you make it hard to argue with with the graphs. However... I shall say this... the graphs are never absolute. Impressions upon hearing and what the graphs show may be slightly different. Not terribly so, but there is no substitute for a good ol' fashioned demo.


I don't typically pull out frequency response graphs, but every now and then a person comes along that I feel has been misled. There are things that can't be accurately measured with FR graphs, such as soundstage, but at the most basic level FR Graphs are accurate and useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing View Post



 

I'm standing on your side. Can't be debating with someone who has similar point of view. Need Bob (that says "Hi" of all things) to complete the argument. 
 


I lol'd

 

Also, since it's semi-on-topic, I'm working on a way to fit my grados with HD650 pads to improve the comfort. So far things are looking good.

post #38 of 81

If Alessandro MS1 can be tranformed to MS1000...    your SR60 can be transformed into SR60000... :).

post #39 of 81

I've never used the 60's, but I have the 80's and rather like them. 

post #40 of 81

Please provide me complete information about this thread.

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by neharana View Post

Please provide me complete information about this thread.


Huh? Which thread?

post #42 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post




I will admit that the comfort is awful, and that's why I sold my first pair. However, after owning several other headphones, I came back and I bought another pair for their sound.

 

And OP, there is a simple mod in the sr60 mod thread that gives the phones more bass.


Uh...which mod? There's a ton on there! I got lost while looking through the thread D:

Oh and I don't mind you guys debating. I'm actually learning off of this biggrin.gif
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufox4900 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post




I will admit that the comfort is awful, and that's why I sold my first pair. However, after owning several other headphones, I came back and I bought another pair for their sound.

 

And OP, there is a simple mod in the sr60 mod thread that gives the phones more bass.




Uh...which mod? There's a ton on there! I got lost while looking through the thread D:

Oh and I don't mind you guys debating. I'm actually learning off of this biggrin.gif


It's the 6th post of the sr60 mod thread. Do NOT punch all 10 holes unless you are a severe basshead. 4 is ample, and 2 gives a slight increase.

post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post


I lol'd

 

Also, since it's semi-on-topic, I'm working on a way to fit my grados with HD650 pads to improve the comfort. So far things are looking good.


What can I say? You have a nice name. :D

 

Anyway, isn't HD650 pads itself about the same price as a new SR60? Are you sure this is the kinda advice you are giving to someone new to the head-fi? 

post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing View Post




What can I say? You have a nice name. :D

 

Anyway, isn't HD650 pads itself about the same price as a new SR60? Are you sure this is the kinda advice you are giving to someone new to the head-fi? 


Nowhere did I recommend them, It was only semi on topic anyway. I must say though, this is nice. My grados in no way resemble sr60is anymore, it's awesome.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Noobie here. Ordered some Grado SR60i's..what am I getting into?