I googled this because of my extreme disappointment in my AE2 headphones. I'm glad someone else feels my pain, because I'm honestly shocked at how terrible the AE2's are. The build quality of the AE2's seem to be the only real attraction to this set; the foldable sides are cool and they seem to be more comfortable. But all else sucks. I'm no audiophile, but I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280's and those absolutely rock. The AE1's are louder and cleaner than the 280's. I mean, at max volume even on my iPhone, they actually MOVE my ears and remain clean the entire time. The same cannot be said about the AE2's. They are weak, and despite being slightly more comfortable and better built, they cannot hold a candle to the audio quality of the older generation. I have a $4000 audio system in my car (self-built, those prices aren't MSRP - it's a REAL system), and these are the only 'phones that even come close to that system. That's saying a lot; I am used to quality subwoofer bass and this is really amazing in comparison. The AE2's are pitiful. I'm actually going to sell my NEW phones and try to get the old ones. I might even pay MORE because they are apparently no longer in production. Which is a shame because the newer ones really are terrible.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 8/18/11
- productBose®AE2 audio headphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productBOSE(R) Triport Headphone - Silvertagged by System, 2/23/11
- productDenon AH-D1100tagged by System, 8/18/11
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- productDENON DN-HP700 DJ HEADPHONEStagged by System, 8/18/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 2/23/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 8/18/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Moving into "Mid-Fi" or higher. HPs around $300 + plus cheap amp? K701 + something... Last post on 5/31/11 at 4:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audiophile headphones for turntable Last post on 9/6/12 at 12:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones you regretted buying the most Last post on 10/16/15 at 11:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- What are some good headphones for Blu-Ray Movie Watching? Last post on 2/15/13 at 8:41am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I had K3003i with a custom cable. I bough it used and the cable had been replaced and the seller assured not sound different to original I loved it. I used it with Fiio X3 2nd Gen. I liked the...
Compared to nothing (in the way of noise cancelling) these are better than that. Damning with faint praise? Yeah, I guess so, but really what can you expect for the price. Sony makes a product...
There seems to be a lot of issues with the sound quality for these 2nd gen Bose phones. These came out before wireless headphones were in any significant use, and when few other companies were...
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
Bose AE2 vs. Tri-Port/AE1, Comparison and Review - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 201/17/12 at 2:54pm
OK, NOW I'm adding the Tri-Port/AE1's to the possible headphone upgrade candidate list, which now stands at..
01:) Sony MDR-7506.
02:) Bose AE2.
03:) Sennheiser HD 202-II.
04:) Sennheiser HD 203.
05:) Sony MDR-XD100.
06:) Bose Tri-Port/AE1.
07:) Sony MDR-XB500.
Edited by HPuser9083 - 1/17/12 at 3:29pmpost #18 of 2011/9/12 at 8:24ampost #19 of 202/15/13 at 10:06pm
Couldn't agree more.
I've had the same pair of bose AE1s for about 4 years now. I absolutely love them. I now own a set of Audio Technica M50s. The M50s are better in most ways, but I'd like to say that the AE1s aren't too far off. I payed $130 for my bose and $169 for my M50s, and the price difference vs sound quality is reasonable to me. I just fixed my AE1s after several months of having a broken jack, and I've really missed the comfort they provide. The sound quality isn't far off from the M50s, so I don't mind the trade off for comfort during really long listening sessions.
I just want to support ONLY the bose AE1s as being a good headphone for the price. I'm sad to hear that they are no longer in production. What a shame. The AE2s and other bose headphones I've listened to just don't compare to the AE1s.
I'd love to re-cable these with a solid and durable cable, so I don't have to fix them all the time.post #20 of 203/9/13 at 8:17am
Original Tri-Ports (AE1) vs. AE2
Not sure I entirely agree. The old AE1s do have better sound but they are less durable. My three pairs of AE1s lasted 1-2 years each before developing a short in the cable. One pair blew a speaker. The biggest fatal flaw in the AE1s is a non-detachable cable; I'm surprised you didn't mention this in your long winded write up.
I use my headphones every day; sometimes in excess of 8hrs. While the AE2s don't sound quite as good as the AE1s they are still leaps and bounds ahead of any other brand I've listened to. The AE2s are durable and when the cord develops a short it is easily fixed with a replacement cable.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bose AE2 vs. Tri-Port/AE1, Comparison and Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sony MDR-1000X 19 seconds ago
- › Prog rock 1 minute ago
- › Modi2/magni2 Hd 650 clear but harsh. 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 2 minutes ago
- › Review: 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphone with In-line... 3 minutes ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget dual mono... 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 5 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 6 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Bose QuietComfort 25 Headphones by dalesky
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear