I googled this because of my extreme disappointment in my AE2 headphones. I'm glad someone else feels my pain, because I'm honestly shocked at how terrible the AE2's are. The build quality of the AE2's seem to be the only real attraction to this set; the foldable sides are cool and they seem to be more comfortable. But all else sucks. I'm no audiophile, but I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280's and those absolutely rock. The AE1's are louder and cleaner than the 280's. I mean, at max volume even on my iPhone, they actually MOVE my ears and remain clean the entire time. The same cannot be said about the AE2's. They are weak, and despite being slightly more comfortable and better built, they cannot hold a candle to the audio quality of the older generation. I have a $4000 audio system in my car (self-built, those prices aren't MSRP - it's a REAL system), and these are the only 'phones that even come close to that system. That's saying a lot; I am used to quality subwoofer bass and this is really amazing in comparison. The AE2's are pitiful. I'm actually going to sell my NEW phones and try to get the old ones. I might even pay MORE because they are apparently no longer in production. Which is a shame because the newer ones really are terrible.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 8/18/11
- productBose®AE2 audio headphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productBOSE(R) Triport Headphone - Silvertagged by System, 2/23/11
- productDenon AH-D1100tagged by System, 8/18/11
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- productDENON DN-HP700 DJ HEADPHONEStagged by System, 8/18/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 2/23/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 8/18/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Moving into "Mid-Fi" or higher. HPs around $300 + plus cheap amp? K701 + something... Last post on 5/31/11 at 4:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audiophile headphones for turntable Last post on 9/6/12 at 12:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones you regretted buying the most Last post on 11/6/14 at 3:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What are some good headphones for Blu-Ray Movie Watching? Last post on 2/15/13 at 8:41am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Hello all in Head Fi community. This is my first ever review in this forum.I am not an expert in reviewing so I will only use very simple term or definition to convey my message. I just received...
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
This review is for Aurisonics Rockets in ears, a little about me I am 38 years old and have been into hi-res audio since I was in middle school. I don't consider myself an audiophile like many on...
Bose AE2 vs. Tri-Port/AE1, Comparison and Review - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 201/17/12 at 2:54pm
OK, NOW I'm adding the Tri-Port/AE1's to the possible headphone upgrade candidate list, which now stands at..
01:) Sony MDR-7506.
02:) Bose AE2.
03:) Sennheiser HD 202-II.
04:) Sennheiser HD 203.
05:) Sony MDR-XD100.
06:) Bose Tri-Port/AE1.
07:) Sony MDR-XB500.
Edited by HPuser9083 - 1/17/12 at 3:29pmpost #18 of 2011/9/12 at 8:24ampost #19 of 202/15/13 at 10:06pm
Couldn't agree more.
I've had the same pair of bose AE1s for about 4 years now. I absolutely love them. I now own a set of Audio Technica M50s. The M50s are better in most ways, but I'd like to say that the AE1s aren't too far off. I payed $130 for my bose and $169 for my M50s, and the price difference vs sound quality is reasonable to me. I just fixed my AE1s after several months of having a broken jack, and I've really missed the comfort they provide. The sound quality isn't far off from the M50s, so I don't mind the trade off for comfort during really long listening sessions.
I just want to support ONLY the bose AE1s as being a good headphone for the price. I'm sad to hear that they are no longer in production. What a shame. The AE2s and other bose headphones I've listened to just don't compare to the AE1s.
I'd love to re-cable these with a solid and durable cable, so I don't have to fix them all the time.post #20 of 203/9/13 at 8:17am
Original Tri-Ports (AE1) vs. AE2
Not sure I entirely agree. The old AE1s do have better sound but they are less durable. My three pairs of AE1s lasted 1-2 years each before developing a short in the cable. One pair blew a speaker. The biggest fatal flaw in the AE1s is a non-detachable cable; I'm surprised you didn't mention this in your long winded write up.
I use my headphones every day; sometimes in excess of 8hrs. While the AE2s don't sound quite as good as the AE1s they are still leaps and bounds ahead of any other brand I've listened to. The AE2s are durable and when the cord develops a short it is easily fixed with a replacement cable.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bose AE2 vs. Tri-Port/AE1, Comparison and Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › 6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes 17 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 34 seconds ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 1 minute ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware) 1 minute ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 1 minute ago
- › The State of the Flagships 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 2 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 3 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 3 minutes ago
- › The ALL NEW Hifiman HE1000 "The Can that Can" sans Rolex Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2