I googled this because of my extreme disappointment in my AE2 headphones. I'm glad someone else feels my pain, because I'm honestly shocked at how terrible the AE2's are. The build quality of the AE2's seem to be the only real attraction to this set; the foldable sides are cool and they seem to be more comfortable. But all else sucks. I'm no audiophile, but I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280's and those absolutely rock. The AE1's are louder and cleaner than the 280's. I mean, at max volume even on my iPhone, they actually MOVE my ears and remain clean the entire time. The same cannot be said about the AE2's. They are weak, and despite being slightly more comfortable and better built, they cannot hold a candle to the audio quality of the older generation. I have a $4000 audio system in my car (self-built, those prices aren't MSRP - it's a REAL system), and these are the only 'phones that even come close to that system. That's saying a lot; I am used to quality subwoofer bass and this is really amazing in comparison. The AE2's are pitiful. I'm actually going to sell my NEW phones and try to get the old ones. I might even pay MORE because they are apparently no longer in production. Which is a shame because the newer ones really are terrible.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 8/18/11
- productBose®AE2 audio headphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productBOSE(R) Triport Headphone - Silvertagged by System, 2/23/11
- productDenon AH-D1100tagged by System, 8/18/11
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- productDENON DN-HP700 DJ HEADPHONEStagged by System, 8/18/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 2/23/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 8/18/11More
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 8/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Moving into "Mid-Fi" or higher. HPs around $300 + plus cheap amp? K701 + something... Last post on 5/31/11 at 4:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audiophile headphones for turntable Last post on 9/6/12 at 12:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones you regretted buying the most Last post on 1/14/14 at 2:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What are some good headphones for Blu-Ray Movie Watching? Last post on 2/15/13 at 8:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones to compliment my HD598's (ie make up for lack of bass) Last post on 12/26/12 at 6:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the...
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
I am going to keep this short. SOURCE: Cowon C2 320 Kbps Mp3 and Flac files. GOOD: - Fits my ear properly. I am sure, whatever i do, they won't fall off. - Isolation, is...
Welcome to another review , today we have the J46BT IEM by JBL I will have a video review linked to this review soon but ...that's the future , this IEM was quite interesting since its...
Nothing is perfect & these earbuds are certainly a compromise. None the less, they are not too bright, not too boomy, not too recessed, & not too expensive. The sound is overall rich & smooth;...
Bose AE2 vs. Tri-Port/AE1, Comparison and Review - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 201/17/12 at 2:54pm
OK, NOW I'm adding the Tri-Port/AE1's to the possible headphone upgrade candidate list, which now stands at..
01:) Sony MDR-7506.
02:) Bose AE2.
03:) Sennheiser HD 202-II.
04:) Sennheiser HD 203.
05:) Sony MDR-XD100.
06:) Bose Tri-Port/AE1.
07:) Sony MDR-XB500.
Edited by HPuser9083 - 1/17/12 at 3:29pmpost #18 of 2011/9/12 at 8:24ampost #19 of 202/15/13 at 10:06pm
Couldn't agree more.
I've had the same pair of bose AE1s for about 4 years now. I absolutely love them. I now own a set of Audio Technica M50s. The M50s are better in most ways, but I'd like to say that the AE1s aren't too far off. I payed $130 for my bose and $169 for my M50s, and the price difference vs sound quality is reasonable to me. I just fixed my AE1s after several months of having a broken jack, and I've really missed the comfort they provide. The sound quality isn't far off from the M50s, so I don't mind the trade off for comfort during really long listening sessions.
I just want to support ONLY the bose AE1s as being a good headphone for the price. I'm sad to hear that they are no longer in production. What a shame. The AE2s and other bose headphones I've listened to just don't compare to the AE1s.
I'd love to re-cable these with a solid and durable cable, so I don't have to fix them all the time.post #20 of 203/9/13 at 8:17am
Original Tri-Ports (AE1) vs. AE2
Not sure I entirely agree. The old AE1s do have better sound but they are less durable. My three pairs of AE1s lasted 1-2 years each before developing a short in the cable. One pair blew a speaker. The biggest fatal flaw in the AE1s is a non-detachable cable; I'm surprised you didn't mention this in your long winded write up.
I use my headphones every day; sometimes in excess of 8hrs. While the AE2s don't sound quite as good as the AE1s they are still leaps and bounds ahead of any other brand I've listened to. The AE2s are durable and when the cord develops a short it is easily fixed with a replacement cable.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bose AE2 vs. Tri-Port/AE1, Comparison and Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 37 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 48 seconds ago
- › Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp 1 minute ago
- › Triple Threat Computer Speakers 1 minute ago
- › [Multi-Review] Hifiman HM901, Fiio X5, Sony ZX1, Hisound Studio 3rd... 3 minutes ago
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 3 minutes ago
- › New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Wanted: Etymotic ER-4P 5 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 5 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › Ferrari AAV-1LFH009K Cavallino T350 Over-Ear Headphones by ourfpshero
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by H20Fidelity
- › Asus Xonar DGX by SSSN
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude