I googled this because of my extreme disappointment in my AE2 headphones. I'm glad someone else feels my pain, because I'm honestly shocked at how terrible the AE2's are. The build quality of the AE2's seem to be the only real attraction to this set; the foldable sides are cool and they seem to be more comfortable. But all else sucks. I'm no audiophile, but I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280's and those absolutely rock. The AE1's are louder and cleaner than the 280's. I mean, at max volume even on my iPhone, they actually MOVE my ears and remain clean the entire time. The same cannot be said about the AE2's. They are weak, and despite being slightly more comfortable and better built, they cannot hold a candle to the audio quality of the older generation. I have a $4000 audio system in my car (self-built, those prices aren't MSRP - it's a REAL system), and these are the only 'phones that even come close to that system. That's saying a lot; I am used to quality subwoofer bass and this is really amazing in comparison. The AE2's are pitiful. I'm actually going to sell my NEW phones and try to get the old ones. I might even pay MORE because they are apparently no longer in production. Which is a shame because the newer ones really are terrible.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 8/18/11
- productBose®AE2 audio headphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productBOSE(R) Triport Headphone - Silvertagged by System, 2/23/11
- productDenon AH-D1100tagged by System, 8/18/11
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- productDENON DN-HP700 DJ HEADPHONEStagged by System, 8/18/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 2/23/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 8/18/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Moving into "Mid-Fi" or higher. HPs around $300 + plus cheap amp? K701 + something... Last post on 5/31/11 at 4:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audiophile headphones for turntable Last post on 9/6/12 at 12:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones you regretted buying the most Last post on 10/16/15 at 11:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- What are some good headphones for Blu-Ray Movie Watching? Last post on 2/15/13 at 8:41am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Where do I start? These honestly sound like the HD600/650 in IEM form. My previous go to IEM was the Klipsch X10 ($100), followed by the Klipsch X20i ($539). What is amazing, is that the RE-400...
I want to thank the MezeTeam over at Head Fi for allowing me the chance to review the 99 Classics as part of their Tour. You can purchase the 99 Classics in three colors right from their...
Disclaimer: I received this earphone for free from the manufacturers. I did my best not to let that color my opinion on the product, but my impressions may not be entirely without bias. Shozy...
Bose AE2 vs. Tri-Port/AE1, Comparison and Review - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 201/17/12 at 2:54pm
OK, NOW I'm adding the Tri-Port/AE1's to the possible headphone upgrade candidate list, which now stands at..
01:) Sony MDR-7506.
02:) Bose AE2.
03:) Sennheiser HD 202-II.
04:) Sennheiser HD 203.
05:) Sony MDR-XD100.
06:) Bose Tri-Port/AE1.
07:) Sony MDR-XB500.
Edited by HPuser9083 - 1/17/12 at 3:29pmpost #18 of 2011/9/12 at 8:24ampost #19 of 202/15/13 at 10:06pm
Couldn't agree more.
I've had the same pair of bose AE1s for about 4 years now. I absolutely love them. I now own a set of Audio Technica M50s. The M50s are better in most ways, but I'd like to say that the AE1s aren't too far off. I payed $130 for my bose and $169 for my M50s, and the price difference vs sound quality is reasonable to me. I just fixed my AE1s after several months of having a broken jack, and I've really missed the comfort they provide. The sound quality isn't far off from the M50s, so I don't mind the trade off for comfort during really long listening sessions.
I just want to support ONLY the bose AE1s as being a good headphone for the price. I'm sad to hear that they are no longer in production. What a shame. The AE2s and other bose headphones I've listened to just don't compare to the AE1s.
I'd love to re-cable these with a solid and durable cable, so I don't have to fix them all the time.post #20 of 203/9/13 at 8:17am
Original Tri-Ports (AE1) vs. AE2
Not sure I entirely agree. The old AE1s do have better sound but they are less durable. My three pairs of AE1s lasted 1-2 years each before developing a short in the cable. One pair blew a speaker. The biggest fatal flaw in the AE1s is a non-detachable cable; I'm surprised you didn't mention this in your long winded write up.
I use my headphones every day; sometimes in excess of 8hrs. While the AE2s don't sound quite as good as the AE1s they are still leaps and bounds ahead of any other brand I've listened to. The AE2s are durable and when the cord develops a short it is easily fixed with a replacement cable.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bose AE2 vs. Tri-Port/AE1, Comparison and Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 20 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 31 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Looking for the correct digital cable to connect a Fiio X-5 to a... 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › How do I rip the tunes from a DVD Video? 2 minutes ago
- › Cheap headphones for watching videos in a noisy environnement 3 minutes ago
- › Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital... 3 minutes ago
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Marantz HD- DAC1High Definition USB DAC / Headphone Amp by Gamergtx260
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by flinkenick
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...