I googled this because of my extreme disappointment in my AE2 headphones. I'm glad someone else feels my pain, because I'm honestly shocked at how terrible the AE2's are. The build quality of the AE2's seem to be the only real attraction to this set; the foldable sides are cool and they seem to be more comfortable. But all else sucks. I'm no audiophile, but I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280's and those absolutely rock. The AE1's are louder and cleaner than the 280's. I mean, at max volume even on my iPhone, they actually MOVE my ears and remain clean the entire time. The same cannot be said about the AE2's. They are weak, and despite being slightly more comfortable and better built, they cannot hold a candle to the audio quality of the older generation. I have a $4000 audio system in my car (self-built, those prices aren't MSRP - it's a REAL system), and these are the only 'phones that even come close to that system. That's saying a lot; I am used to quality subwoofer bass and this is really amazing in comparison. The AE2's are pitiful. I'm actually going to sell my NEW phones and try to get the old ones. I might even pay MORE because they are apparently no longer in production. Which is a shame because the newer ones really are terrible.
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 8/18/11
- productBose®AE2 audio headphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productBOSE(R) Triport Headphone - Silvertagged by System, 2/23/11
- productDenon AH-D1100tagged by System, 8/18/11
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- productDENON DN-HP700 DJ HEADPHONEStagged by System, 8/18/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 2/23/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 8/18/11More
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 8/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Moving into "Mid-Fi" or higher. HPs around $300 + plus cheap amp? K701 + something... Last post on 5/31/11 at 4:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Audiophile headphones for turntable Last post on 9/6/12 at 12:26am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones you regretted buying the most Last post on 10/16/15 at 11:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- What are some good headphones for Blu-Ray Movie Watching? Last post on 2/15/13 at 8:41am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction Oriveti seems to be a rather obscure company, without any big breaks or long-running hype trains. They offer a single model that seems to be highly regarded, but hasn't really...
Background: The Audio-Technica CK10 is a dual BA IEM that was released in 2008, back then in those simpler times, CIEMs were a highly niche market, three BA drivers per ear was considered a lot,...
Focal Utopia Review Utopia - definition: An imagined state of things in which everything is perfect. My initial intention was just to write some detailed impressions, but throughout that...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONFirstly I'd like to acknowledge Head-fier Ajaxander (Andy) and also Ken Ball from ALO/Campfire...
Bose AE2 vs. Tri-Port/AE1, Comparison and Review - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 201/17/12 at 2:54pm
OK, NOW I'm adding the Tri-Port/AE1's to the possible headphone upgrade candidate list, which now stands at..
01:) Sony MDR-7506.
02:) Bose AE2.
03:) Sennheiser HD 202-II.
04:) Sennheiser HD 203.
05:) Sony MDR-XD100.
06:) Bose Tri-Port/AE1.
07:) Sony MDR-XB500.
Edited by HPuser9083 - 1/17/12 at 3:29pmpost #18 of 2011/9/12 at 8:24ampost #19 of 202/15/13 at 10:06pm
Couldn't agree more.
I've had the same pair of bose AE1s for about 4 years now. I absolutely love them. I now own a set of Audio Technica M50s. The M50s are better in most ways, but I'd like to say that the AE1s aren't too far off. I payed $130 for my bose and $169 for my M50s, and the price difference vs sound quality is reasonable to me. I just fixed my AE1s after several months of having a broken jack, and I've really missed the comfort they provide. The sound quality isn't far off from the M50s, so I don't mind the trade off for comfort during really long listening sessions.
I just want to support ONLY the bose AE1s as being a good headphone for the price. I'm sad to hear that they are no longer in production. What a shame. The AE2s and other bose headphones I've listened to just don't compare to the AE1s.
I'd love to re-cable these with a solid and durable cable, so I don't have to fix them all the time.post #20 of 203/9/13 at 8:17am
Original Tri-Ports (AE1) vs. AE2
Not sure I entirely agree. The old AE1s do have better sound but they are less durable. My three pairs of AE1s lasted 1-2 years each before developing a short in the cable. One pair blew a speaker. The biggest fatal flaw in the AE1s is a non-detachable cable; I'm surprised you didn't mention this in your long winded write up.
I use my headphones every day; sometimes in excess of 8hrs. While the AE2s don't sound quite as good as the AE1s they are still leaps and bounds ahead of any other brand I've listened to. The AE2s are durable and when the cord develops a short it is easily fixed with a replacement cable.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bose AE2 vs. Tri-Port/AE1, Comparison and Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Lets Talk Metal 48 seconds ago
- › MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs 53 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Most comfortable closed back headphones for 6-8+ hours daily use 1 minute ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 3 minutes ago
- › need opinions on home setup with small footprint 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first... 3 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD668B Headphone Review by mark2410 4 minutes ago
- › RHA MA750i by meetpatel3686
- › ORIVETI PRIMACY - Whole Aluminium Body, Triple Drivers Hybrid 2... by ustinj
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones by mrstrangeguy
- › Focal Utopia by x RELIC x
- › Campfire Audio Nova by Brooko
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...