I would like to plug the headphones directly into the 3.5mm output of my DAC, because there is no space to place an amp behind my computer screen. I want the same high resolution performance as from Stax headphones but without any amp. Which high-end headphones can be driven without an amp?
- categoryDACstagged by System, 2/22/11
- productEMU 0404 4 Channel Digital PCI Audio Interfacetagged by System, 2/22/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/22/11
- productStax 4070 electrostatic closed monitor earspeakerstagged by System, 2/22/11
Related Forum Threads
- Amp recommendation for computer music listening Last post on 5/31/11 at 12:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD 650 help Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Stax SR-009: suggestions to tone down the brightness? Last post on 8/9/13 at 2:56pm in High-end Audio Forum
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Brainwavz have been around since 2008 and have been working on providing improved and more original products as time has gone on. If you are familiar with the last round of Brainwavz offerings it...
I bought the S version that has standard 3.5mm TRS unbalanced plug. I didn't want to use the balanced-to-unbalanced adaptor that comes with the non-S version because my players would not have...
“First in last out!” While the above makes for an excellent military motto, it really sucks for an audio component reviewer. I must sincerely apologize to Rock Jaw, Rockbob, and the folks waiting...
Just some brief notes and impressions since no one else has put one up yet. Nice compact form. The little rubber cone feet are useless though and start wearing out. Surprisingly lightweight...
After starting to review a few IEM's in the past week I decided to slip these babies back into my ears as a reference point for the other IEM's. After doing so for a few minutes I realized these...
Best headphones that don't need an amp?post #1 of 142/19/11 at 5:12amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 142/19/11 at 6:39am
No headphones can be driven without an amp. If your dac has a headphone out, it has an amp inside it, unless the 3.5mm is lineout instead, in which case you can't use headphones with it. Well you can but it won't be a very thrilling experience...post #3 of 142/19/11 at 6:49ampost #4 of 142/19/11 at 1:31pmThread Starterpost #5 of 142/19/11 at 1:42pmQuote:
And I want a hundred million bucks and a date with Scarlett Johansson. I wonder which of us will get there first?post #6 of 142/19/11 at 1:49pmQuote:
Hmm, plug your headphones here, I guess?
Yes it does have a headphone amp.post #7 of 142/19/11 at 1:51pm
As far as I know, please correct me someone if I'm wrong, but every DAC has an amp. From reading the specs it looks like it has an "NJM2068" amp. I couldn't find much information on it though.post #8 of 142/19/11 at 2:01pmQuote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think not necessarily. On computers soundcards and such we usually see a "line-out/headphone jack", but actually that's bad nomenclature. A real line-out signal wouldn't even drive headphones.
But in practice, I think every single USB DAC out there has a headphone amp built-in.post #9 of 142/19/11 at 6:42pmpost #10 of 142/19/11 at 7:06pmpost #11 of 142/19/11 at 7:47pm
The EMU 0404 does have a headphone amp built it. It isn't particularly good, but it is OK. The Sennheiser HD 598 and the previous model HD 595 which is still available although discontinued and priced much lower now are both quite decent without a dedicated headphone amp and quite acceptable from the jack of the EMU 0404. Just about any headphone, like the ATH M50, which people refer to running out of their ipod without a dedicated headphone amp will do fine. I use the headphone jack out of the EMU 0404 fairly frequently. It's better than the output from my ipod and worse than the output from a Little Dot Mark III.post #12 of 142/20/11 at 1:44am
They both are more into studio sounds, on the K-701/2 side. The question is if the OP will be satisfied with other studio cans like the K-702, K-240MKll, K271MKll, GMP 8.35, M-50.
The Sony CD-3000's are very expensive for second hand hps, around 450-$500. in this price range you can get the K-702 and a good hps amp like the, Matrix m-stage, Meier, Arietta/Headfive, or even the Heed Canamp (used from F/S forum).post #13 of 142/20/11 at 3:15am
- Best headphones that don't need an amp?
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Cheapest portable amp for Etymotic ER4S? 32 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding 5 minutes ago
- › Best Orthodynamic for Gaming/Music under $1000 5 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 6 minutes ago
- › Any old fart head-fi'ers still around? 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by jant71
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by Matias
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by HK_sends
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › AKG X323XS by dweaver
- › Shure SE535LTD RED by hardbop
- › PSB M4U 2 Noise Canceling headphones by Mr_Owlow
- › VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo... by squallkiercosa
- › Eclipse TD-M1 by HideousPride
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by twister6
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)