I would like to plug the headphones directly into the 3.5mm output of my DAC, because there is no space to place an amp behind my computer screen. I want the same high resolution performance as from Stax headphones but without any amp. Which high-end headphones can be driven without an amp?
- categoryDACstagged by System, 2/22/11
- productEMU 0404 4 Channel Digital PCI Audio Interfacetagged by System, 2/22/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/22/11
- productStax 4070 electrostatic closed monitor earspeakerstagged by System, 2/22/11
Related Forum Threads
- Amp recommendation for computer music listening Last post on 5/31/11 at 12:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ASK : Share your most used Headphones + Dac + Amp Combo! Last post on 10/26/13 at 2:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 650 help Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
My reviews are usually long winded and detailed, but in this review im keeping things short as this is not a high-end product by any means. I have had the Sansa Clip since June of last year, and...
In my humble opinion the Sennheiser HD600 is by far one of the best sounding dynamic headphones on the market period hopefully you'll agree with me at the end of this...
This review is for the Ubsound Fighters, let me introduce myself before I get started. My name is Adam I am 38 years old and have been into audio equipment since I was in high school. In the past 2...
Introduction: One of my favorite part of this hobby that I've grown to love over the past few years is trying new things and just experiencing how different components (or combination of...
Best headphones that don't need an amp?post #1 of 142/19/11 at 5:12amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 142/19/11 at 6:39am
No headphones can be driven without an amp. If your dac has a headphone out, it has an amp inside it, unless the 3.5mm is lineout instead, in which case you can't use headphones with it. Well you can but it won't be a very thrilling experience...post #3 of 142/19/11 at 6:49ampost #4 of 142/19/11 at 1:31pmThread Starterpost #5 of 142/19/11 at 1:42pmQuote:
And I want a hundred million bucks and a date with Scarlett Johansson. I wonder which of us will get there first?post #6 of 142/19/11 at 1:49pmQuote:
Hmm, plug your headphones here, I guess?
Yes it does have a headphone amp.post #7 of 142/19/11 at 1:51pm
As far as I know, please correct me someone if I'm wrong, but every DAC has an amp. From reading the specs it looks like it has an "NJM2068" amp. I couldn't find much information on it though.post #8 of 142/19/11 at 2:01pmQuote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think not necessarily. On computers soundcards and such we usually see a "line-out/headphone jack", but actually that's bad nomenclature. A real line-out signal wouldn't even drive headphones.
But in practice, I think every single USB DAC out there has a headphone amp built-in.post #9 of 142/19/11 at 6:42pmpost #10 of 142/19/11 at 7:06pmpost #11 of 142/19/11 at 7:47pm
The EMU 0404 does have a headphone amp built it. It isn't particularly good, but it is OK. The Sennheiser HD 598 and the previous model HD 595 which is still available although discontinued and priced much lower now are both quite decent without a dedicated headphone amp and quite acceptable from the jack of the EMU 0404. Just about any headphone, like the ATH M50, which people refer to running out of their ipod without a dedicated headphone amp will do fine. I use the headphone jack out of the EMU 0404 fairly frequently. It's better than the output from my ipod and worse than the output from a Little Dot Mark III.post #12 of 142/20/11 at 1:44am
They both are more into studio sounds, on the K-701/2 side. The question is if the OP will be satisfied with other studio cans like the K-702, K-240MKll, K271MKll, GMP 8.35, M-50.
The Sony CD-3000's are very expensive for second hand hps, around 450-$500. in this price range you can get the K-702 and a good hps amp like the, Matrix m-stage, Meier, Arietta/Headfive, or even the Heed Canamp (used from F/S forum).post #13 of 142/20/11 at 3:15am
- Best headphones that don't need an amp?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 1 minute ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Small powerful DAC/AMP with USB DAC, volume control, low output... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Help to buy new MP3/MP4 please!! 3 minutes ago
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by xevman
- › Trinity - Techne Dynamic IEM by mark2410
- › Ubsound Fighter in-ear monitor with universal inline microphone and... by acain
- › T-Peos Altone250 by Cotnijoe
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A Stage Headphone Amplifier by JoeDoe
- › Aune B1 by avitron142
- › DUNU DN-2000J by tomscy2000
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by GrindedDown
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by ElMarcado
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2