I would like to plug the headphones directly into the 3.5mm output of my DAC, because there is no space to place an amp behind my computer screen. I want the same high resolution performance as from Stax headphones but without any amp. Which high-end headphones can be driven without an amp?
- categoryDACstagged by System, 2/22/11
- productEMU 0404 4 Channel Digital PCI Audio Interfacetagged by System, 2/22/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/22/11
- productStax 4070 electrostatic closed monitor earspeakerstagged by System, 2/22/11
Related Forum Threads
- Amp recommendation for computer music listening Last post on 5/31/11 at 12:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ASK : Share your most used Headphones + Dac + Amp Combo! Last post on 10/26/13 at 2:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 650 help Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I would like to Thank Venture Electronics (VE) and Lee @zhibli06 for providing me with review samples of Monk+, Asura 2.0, and Zen 2.0 in exchange for my honest opinion. The manufacturer...
Most people hate this headphone because of annoying treble spike and low mid treble but if just need to tweek EQ to see its potential.
overall great headphone at its price.
Disclaimer: The Meze 99 Classics were send to me as part of their European Tour. Impression are based on around a week of intensive usage. Preamble: First of all, welcome to another review here...
It's Zmall, it's Zpacious, it's ZuperDAC, from Zorloo - The Review Website: zorloo.com Product details and Specs: LINK MSRP: $74 To read more about the original project, you may...
Best headphones that don't need an amp?post #1 of 142/19/11 at 5:12amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 142/19/11 at 6:39am
No headphones can be driven without an amp. If your dac has a headphone out, it has an amp inside it, unless the 3.5mm is lineout instead, in which case you can't use headphones with it. Well you can but it won't be a very thrilling experience...post #3 of 142/19/11 at 6:49ampost #4 of 142/19/11 at 1:31pmThread Starterpost #5 of 142/19/11 at 1:42pmQuote:
And I want a hundred million bucks and a date with Scarlett Johansson. I wonder which of us will get there first?post #6 of 142/19/11 at 1:49pmQuote:
Hmm, plug your headphones here, I guess?
Yes it does have a headphone amp.post #7 of 142/19/11 at 1:51pm
As far as I know, please correct me someone if I'm wrong, but every DAC has an amp. From reading the specs it looks like it has an "NJM2068" amp. I couldn't find much information on it though.post #8 of 142/19/11 at 2:01pmQuote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think not necessarily. On computers soundcards and such we usually see a "line-out/headphone jack", but actually that's bad nomenclature. A real line-out signal wouldn't even drive headphones.
But in practice, I think every single USB DAC out there has a headphone amp built-in.post #9 of 142/19/11 at 6:42pmpost #10 of 142/19/11 at 7:06pmpost #11 of 142/19/11 at 7:47pm
The EMU 0404 does have a headphone amp built it. It isn't particularly good, but it is OK. The Sennheiser HD 598 and the previous model HD 595 which is still available although discontinued and priced much lower now are both quite decent without a dedicated headphone amp and quite acceptable from the jack of the EMU 0404. Just about any headphone, like the ATH M50, which people refer to running out of their ipod without a dedicated headphone amp will do fine. I use the headphone jack out of the EMU 0404 fairly frequently. It's better than the output from my ipod and worse than the output from a Little Dot Mark III.post #12 of 142/20/11 at 1:44am
They both are more into studio sounds, on the K-701/2 side. The question is if the OP will be satisfied with other studio cans like the K-702, K-240MKll, K271MKll, GMP 8.35, M-50.
The Sony CD-3000's are very expensive for second hand hps, around 450-$500. in this price range you can get the K-702 and a good hps amp like the, Matrix m-stage, Meier, Arietta/Headfive, or even the Heed Canamp (used from F/S forum).post #13 of 142/20/11 at 3:15am
- Best headphones that don't need an amp?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 8 seconds ago
- › The Ruizu X02 DAP thread 26 seconds ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device 1 minute ago
- › New DAP from HisoundAudio : The Studio 6 2 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 6 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 6 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by twister6
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by Zelda
- › Dunu TITAN 3 by mark2410
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by moedawg140
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by Decommo
- › Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II (Carbon) by ryanjsoo
- › iFi iPurifier 2 by knorris908
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse