Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-M50's for bassy music, or alternatives?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH-M50's for bassy music, or alternatives?

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 

Been looking for the closed back headphones for a while and the safest bet seems to be the ATH M50's, although they're going for around £130 which is slightly over my budget.

Another thing I've read is the lack of bass (or apparent lack of bass to bassheads)

 

I wouldn't usually worry, but I listen to a lot of electronic music, and hip hop where it's important to have a full sounding amount of bass.

 

The M50s seem to have been praised for their ability to be ramped up without any form of amp, and as I'll be using them with my laptop, iPod and phone, this is important to me.

 

Is it work considering any other headphones however, for example any around £80, or will spending the extra £50 on the M50s really make that much difference?

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 38

You could always try the Sony XB500. Those things are ridiculously bass heavy.

For the price it costs, the sound is decent. Don't expect a neutral sound signature or an accurate one.

Nonetheless it's a fun headphone.

I use them quite often simply because it has a decent sound quality, a short cable and very plushy ear pads.

 

You could also check out the gears from Ultrasonne or even the AKG k81.

 

In the end it's down to a matter of taste really. I mean... I actually like listening to electronica with a K701... Go figure...

post #3 of 38
Thread Starter 

The XB series all seem to have huge earcups which I'm not a fan of, thanks for the recomendations though. 

 

Is it realistic that I expect to be able to use the M50s at and around school, or walking into the city for example, aswell as at home? Or am I best off getting some more in ears?

 

I'm coming from a pair of in ear CX500s if that is anything to judge by also!

post #4 of 38

i think the next logical choice for bass is ultrasone. although im not too familiar with their models...

post #5 of 38
Thread Starter 

I'll take a look into a few of their models, thanks!

 

Would people with M50's recommend them at the UK price point of £135? I see they are often recommended with people stating they are sub $110, but obviously the UK price is a fair bit higher.

post #6 of 38

I would rather get Denon D1100 at like £100 and they are bassier, however it doesn't output deep bass very strongly but there's plenty of mid/upper bass punch/impact, much more than M50 and the soundstage is so much bigger compared to M50

post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

I would rather get Denon D1100 at like £100 and they are bassier, however it doesn't output deep bass very strongly but there's plenty of mid/upper bass punch/impact, much more than M50 and the soundstage is so much bigger compared to M50


This ^

If you're a basshead.  You can also check ultrasones. 

post #8 of 38

The M50s are great for bass heavy music. Why have that much more exaggerated bass when the M50 already has bass to give? I'd start there, seriously.

post #9 of 38

If you want smaller, go for the Denon AH-D1100. If you want larger, go for the Denon AH-D2000. I found both to be superior to the M50 (personal taste).

post #10 of 38

If you think the bass is weak on the M50 I really wouldn't consider you a basshead, I'm not and I thought it was weak. To someone who avidly listens to hip-hop/rock, I don't think the M50's will be sufficient in terms of bass. Another pair that looks sweet and has huge bass is the V Moda Crossfade. Those can be found as low as $130 on amazon or you can get a pair on ebay for $60 (yes they are legitimate if you get it from this certain seller).

post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot30 View Post

If you think the bass is weak on the M50 I really wouldn't consider you a basshead, I'm not and I thought it was weak. To someone who avidly listens to hip-hop/rock, I don't think the M50's will be sufficient in terms of bass. Another pair that looks sweet and has huge bass is the V Moda Crossfade. Those can be found as low as $130 on amazon or you can get a pair on ebay for $60 (yes they are legitimate if you get it from this certain seller).



mind sharing who that certain seller is? or is that against forum rules?

post #12 of 38

lol no it is not against forum rules, I just didn't know the sellers name by heart. I looked it up and the seller is 128headphones. He has a lot of bids in many colors, I think they start at $60 or $70. Seems too good to be true but I know a few users on Head Fi that have bought from them and say they are 100% legit.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumdog View Post





mind sharing who that certain seller is? or is that against forum rules?

post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot30 View Post

I think they start at $60 or $70. Seems too good to be true but I know a few users on Head Fi that have bought from them and say they are 100% legit.


Wow, thats a good price for them. 

And the seller have a positive feedback....sounds tempting. 

post #14 of 38

he has 99.3% positive feedback which looks good, but also 117 negative feedbacks in the passed 12 months... i'm kinda skeptical

post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot30 View Post

I know a few users on Head Fi that have bought from them and say they are 100% legit.


It would be nice to know their experience with this seller. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slumdog View Post

but also 117 negative feedbacks in the passed 12 months... i'm kinda skeptical


yeah, you're right. we must be cautious. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ATH-M50's for bassy music, or alternatives?