Hi everyone, I need an universal iem to tide me over till I can get my first custom (probbably the jh3a but i want to wait a few months with that till the first reviews are posted and the backlog at jh is gone). I have owned a lot of iems the last fe wyears but many of them that i liked the best, the ie8 and the sm3 offered pretty little isolation for me. I do think that deep insertion small iems might be the best for me. I was thinking about the re262 but not sure. Can anyone tell me what iems isolate the best? I know this is also tip dependant. Greetings, Anouk,
- productEarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEMtagged by System, 2/23/11
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT HiFiMan RE-262tagged by System, 2/23/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 2/23/11
- productJH Audio JH-3A DSP Amplifiertagged by System, 2/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- Looking to compliment the ER4P/S? EX600, GR07 or RE262 Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM's that make vocals sound like they're coming from the heart for under $250?... Last post on 10/30/12 at 3:21pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which three IEM's covers it all? Last post on 5/1/14 at 1:03pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for $300? Last post on 7/31/12 at 10:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
IT WAS THE FIRST HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER I BOUGHT AND I PAIRED IT WITH A SONY NWZ-A15. DECENT SOUND, ALMOST NO PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT EXCEPT ITS DESIGN WHICH I FIND SOMEWHAT UGLY IT WAS UNABLE TO...
Intro & Me: I'm best described as someone who loves music, loves gear and loves to combine them into a "hobby" that focuses on all of these important ingredients from Head-Fi. I have quite a...
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
what universal iem offers the best isolation?post #1 of 102/18/11 at 4:02amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 102/18/11 at 5:02ampost #3 of 102/18/11 at 5:02am
Many people seem to use the black olives, but just from my personal preference I get the best isolation from the silicone triple flanges modded to dual flanges (trim the top flange and half of the bottom stem). It's kind of dangerous walking around with them for me.
All the comply/foam tips offer good isolation but, silicone is the material that really STICKS to your canal and when I take them out I have to be careful I hear a loud pop sound (suction) when they are taken out too fast.
I really want to try the Monster tips I heard good things about them but have no clue whatsoever.post #4 of 102/18/11 at 5:27am
For me the ER4S was the best(and is considered by many to be the golden standard for isolation) I have ever tried but I didn't have enough time with it. SM2 with Shure Olives was the best of what I owned previously. The DDM I am using right now offers really less isolation compared to other BA IEMs, and more or less the same can be applied to the other dynamic driver IEMs.
Personally the RE262 had rather good isolation for a Dynamic but not as good as the etys nor the earsonics+olives.post #5 of 102/18/11 at 6:35am
Majority of all dynamic driver IEMs are ported and will this have less isolation. Most armiture driver IEMs and not ported (they don't rely on movement of air to work), and will offer better isolation. The Etymotic HF and ER series phones give the best isolation available -- their 100% sealed housing plus deep insertion ensure that.post #6 of 102/18/11 at 6:45amThread Starter
Hi, Hmm I might have to try the er4 then although since I am blind the replacable filters are not appealing. I have owned a shure se530 in the past and that isolated rather well too but I could not get the standard tips off. Shure seems to be worhth a rebuy maybe. Not sure if i would like the ety sound. The re262 is dynamic driver so ported (less isolation), right? I think that all hifiman iems have replacable filters too bu tnot totally sure. Greetings, Anouk,post #7 of 102/18/11 at 7:24am
Anouk, if you keep your ears fairly clean of wax, then you probably don't have to worry about changing the filters very often -- even as long as 6 months or so. Another thing that greatly helps keep mine clean is that I use the Shure black foam tips ("Olives") with my HF5, so they don't get inserted nearly as deep as with the 3 flange Ety tips -- and so my ear cleaning does not have to go as deep into my ear canal either.post #8 of 102/19/11 at 3:08amThread Starterpost #9 of 102/20/11 at 12:31amThread Starterpost #10 of 102/20/11 at 1:33am
I don't own it, but had a listen at a shop.
They sound great and open, but that openness seems to be the result of poor isolation, and is the poorest I've heard on any IEM.
It might be ideal for indoor use, but then I'd use a headphone.
Quote:Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- what universal iem offers the best isolation?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Uptone Audio Regen latest version 3 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 5 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 7 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 8 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 8 hours, 45 minutes ago
- › [FS] LZ A4 (Brand new - EU located) 8 hours, 58 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 9 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 10 hours, 23 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 10 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › IC : Grado HP1000 10 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black) by yannisgk
- › Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV by SeeSax
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear