Hi everyone, I need an universal iem to tide me over till I can get my first custom (probbably the jh3a but i want to wait a few months with that till the first reviews are posted and the backlog at jh is gone). I have owned a lot of iems the last fe wyears but many of them that i liked the best, the ie8 and the sm3 offered pretty little isolation for me. I do think that deep insertion small iems might be the best for me. I was thinking about the re262 but not sure. Can anyone tell me what iems isolate the best? I know this is also tip dependant. Greetings, Anouk,
- productEarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEMtagged by System, 2/23/11
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT HiFiMan RE-262tagged by System, 2/23/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 2/23/11
- productJH Audio JH-3A DSP Amplifiertagged by System, 2/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- Looking to compliment the ER4P/S? EX600, GR07 or RE262 Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM's that make vocals sound like they're coming from the heart for under $250?... Last post on 10/30/12 at 3:21pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which three IEM's covers it all? Last post on 5/1/14 at 1:03pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for $300? Last post on 7/31/12 at 10:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
So, first off, I must say that for 200 dollars (or 170, in my case, for a unit that was previously a store-display model), you CANNOT go wrong with this superb little DAP. The soundstage and...
I bought a pair of these for a real steal (used, for 70 bucks, on Amazon) earlier this month and I am LOVING them more than almost any other purchase I've made in my life. They sound amazing. ....
This is my second round with these "holy grail" of headphones. First time around I was just laughing at it's meager power capability. The sound was good, but not mind blowing. Zero sub bass...
First of all, I’d like to thank iBasso for sending me a review sample of the D14. iBasso have really established themselves as a big name in portable audio devices and after reviewing both their...
Introduction: The whole reason I purchased these was because of jekostas review of the Bette 8MM 1+1 Hybrid: The 10MM version is going to mirror a lot of the 8MM, though I do not have the...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
what universal iem offers the best isolation?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Many people seem to use the black olives, but just from my personal preference I get the best isolation from the silicone triple flanges modded to dual flanges (trim the top flange and half of the bottom stem). It's kind of dangerous walking around with them for me.
All the comply/foam tips offer good isolation but, silicone is the material that really STICKS to your canal and when I take them out I have to be careful I hear a loud pop sound (suction) when they are taken out too fast.
I really want to try the Monster tips I heard good things about them but have no clue whatsoever.
For me the ER4S was the best(and is considered by many to be the golden standard for isolation) I have ever tried but I didn't have enough time with it. SM2 with Shure Olives was the best of what I owned previously. The DDM I am using right now offers really less isolation compared to other BA IEMs, and more or less the same can be applied to the other dynamic driver IEMs.
Personally the RE262 had rather good isolation for a Dynamic but not as good as the etys nor the earsonics+olives.
Majority of all dynamic driver IEMs are ported and will this have less isolation. Most armiture driver IEMs and not ported (they don't rely on movement of air to work), and will offer better isolation. The Etymotic HF and ER series phones give the best isolation available -- their 100% sealed housing plus deep insertion ensure that.
Hi, Hmm I might have to try the er4 then although since I am blind the replacable filters are not appealing. I have owned a shure se530 in the past and that isolated rather well too but I could not get the standard tips off. Shure seems to be worhth a rebuy maybe. Not sure if i would like the ety sound. The re262 is dynamic driver so ported (less isolation), right? I think that all hifiman iems have replacable filters too bu tnot totally sure. Greetings, Anouk,
Anouk, if you keep your ears fairly clean of wax, then you probably don't have to worry about changing the filters very often -- even as long as 6 months or so. Another thing that greatly helps keep mine clean is that I use the Shure black foam tips ("Olives") with my HF5, so they don't get inserted nearly as deep as with the 3 flange Ety tips -- and so my ear cleaning does not have to go as deep into my ear canal either.
I don't own it, but had a listen at a shop.
They sound great and open, but that openness seems to be the result of poor isolation, and is the poorest I've heard on any IEM.
It might be ideal for indoor use, but then I'd use a headphone.
- what universal iem offers the best isolation?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › 2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 6 minutes ago
- › Great news for rooted android users--Viper4Android 6 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 6 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 13 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3