Hi everyone, I need an universal iem to tide me over till I can get my first custom (probbably the jh3a but i want to wait a few months with that till the first reviews are posted and the backlog at jh is gone). I have owned a lot of iems the last fe wyears but many of them that i liked the best, the ie8 and the sm3 offered pretty little isolation for me. I do think that deep insertion small iems might be the best for me. I was thinking about the re262 but not sure. Can anyone tell me what iems isolate the best? I know this is also tip dependant. Greetings, Anouk,
- productEarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEMtagged by System, 2/23/11
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 2/23/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT HiFiMan RE-262tagged by System, 2/23/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 2/23/11
- productJH Audio JH-3A DSP Amplifiertagged by System, 2/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- Looking to compliment the ER4P/S? EX600, GR07 or RE262 Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEM's that make vocals sound like they're coming from the heart for under $250?... Last post on 10/30/12 at 3:21pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which three IEM's covers it all? Last post on 5/1/14 at 1:03pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for $300? Last post on 7/31/12 at 10:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your Ref 1...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue,...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
what universal iem offers the best isolation?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Many people seem to use the black olives, but just from my personal preference I get the best isolation from the silicone triple flanges modded to dual flanges (trim the top flange and half of the bottom stem). It's kind of dangerous walking around with them for me.
All the comply/foam tips offer good isolation but, silicone is the material that really STICKS to your canal and when I take them out I have to be careful I hear a loud pop sound (suction) when they are taken out too fast.
I really want to try the Monster tips I heard good things about them but have no clue whatsoever.
For me the ER4S was the best(and is considered by many to be the golden standard for isolation) I have ever tried but I didn't have enough time with it. SM2 with Shure Olives was the best of what I owned previously. The DDM I am using right now offers really less isolation compared to other BA IEMs, and more or less the same can be applied to the other dynamic driver IEMs.
Personally the RE262 had rather good isolation for a Dynamic but not as good as the etys nor the earsonics+olives.
Majority of all dynamic driver IEMs are ported and will this have less isolation. Most armiture driver IEMs and not ported (they don't rely on movement of air to work), and will offer better isolation. The Etymotic HF and ER series phones give the best isolation available -- their 100% sealed housing plus deep insertion ensure that.
Hi, Hmm I might have to try the er4 then although since I am blind the replacable filters are not appealing. I have owned a shure se530 in the past and that isolated rather well too but I could not get the standard tips off. Shure seems to be worhth a rebuy maybe. Not sure if i would like the ety sound. The re262 is dynamic driver so ported (less isolation), right? I think that all hifiman iems have replacable filters too bu tnot totally sure. Greetings, Anouk,
Anouk, if you keep your ears fairly clean of wax, then you probably don't have to worry about changing the filters very often -- even as long as 6 months or so. Another thing that greatly helps keep mine clean is that I use the Shure black foam tips ("Olives") with my HF5, so they don't get inserted nearly as deep as with the 3 flange Ety tips -- and so my ear cleaning does not have to go as deep into my ear canal either.
I don't own it, but had a listen at a shop.
They sound great and open, but that openness seems to be the result of poor isolation, and is the poorest I've heard on any IEM.
It might be ideal for indoor use, but then I'd use a headphone.
- what universal iem offers the best isolation?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone? 9 seconds ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 16 seconds ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 38 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general... 3 minutes ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Arizona Head-Fi Meet: October 25th, 2014 4 minutes ago
- › THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)