Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats - Page 278  

post #4156 of 5508

Hahaha, this one's definitely worth posting.

 

http://www.thetechgame.com/Forums/t=2070772/buying-headphones-get-advice-here/start=1300.html

 

IxAMxJESUS's post is pure gold!

 

I often wonder if I'm being trolled. I mean, was this one of you guys (if it is, 10/10)? Do people really believe this?

 

EDIT: Oh god, it's getting better. 


Edited by r00tb33r - 1/26/12 at 2:04pm
post #4157 of 5508

To be fair I really don't like the argument against the beats on the grounds of their build quality. I think that that is a perfectly valid argument, BUT I think it's foolish to use as your argument because it's also the easiest to brush off:

 

"I treat my Beats gently and have owned them for a year without problem" IS a valid thing to say. Then you lose the argument (until theirs breaks from normal wear in the future, but that won't help your argument NOW)

 

The argument should be about sound quality for the price.

post #4158 of 5508

Quote:

Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

To be fair I really don't like the argument against the beats on the grounds of their build quality. I think that that is a perfectly valid argument, BUT I think it's foolish to use as your argument because it's also the easiest to brush off:

 

"I treat my Beats gently and have owned them for a year without problem" IS a valid thing to say. Then you lose the argument (until theirs breaks from normal wear in the future, but that won't help your argument NOW)

 

The argument should be about sound quality for the price.


I have to slightly disagree with this. If I'm spending $300+ on a headphone (even $100+), I expect it to last me at-least a year =/

I've never owned the Beats so I dunno about long-term build issues, but I have read more reviews of them breaking at the band than reviews saying they have amazing build quality.

 

Anyways back on topic, for you guys in college, what percentage of headphones on your campus do you think are Beats? I'd say probably around 30~40% at my college, and some Bose too.

 

post #4159 of 5508

10-20% Beats. 60-70% gummies/cheap earbuds. 10% entry-level audiophile/mid-range consumer and above.

post #4160 of 5508

90% beats. 9% bose. 1% earbuds.

post #4161 of 5508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagelou View Post

Quote:


I have to slightly disagree with this. If I'm spending $300+ on a headphone (even $100+), I expect it to last me at-least a year =/

I've never owned the Beats so I dunno about long-term build issues, but I have read more reviews of them breaking at the band than reviews saying they have amazing build quality.

 

Anyways back on topic, for you guys in college, what percentage of headphones on your campus do you think are Beats? I'd say probably around 30~40% at my college, and some Bose too.

 

I agree with this 100%

 

Sound quality is important, and undeniably is the first priority in headphones.. well in all audio systems that is.

 

However, as you stated...when paying a certain amount, for some $50 - $60 street value=approximately $100 retail value or so, there certain expectations, especially when certain companies make their $50 - $60 retail ($30 street) model very durable with very solid construction (Sony XB500 is for one example) and provide the expected sound for that price.  

 

So therefore, when I pay $100 + and for that extent, let's say $300... Durability and comfort become just as important as the sound quality.

 

Anyone who disagrees, ask yourselves this.  Is a stellar sounding headphones worth its price when you can't have it on your head/ears for more than an hour at a time?  What's the point of having a brilliant sounding headphones if they would break or the cords/wires will snap after 3-4 months of use, and what's worse, that particular headphone doesn't have the detachable cable system... the whole headphone is scrapped then.. 

 

While it's obvious that some companies mark their headphones far beyond the scope of their SQ reproduction and to boot, their construction.  However, in my opinion, when calculating pricetags and worthiness of headphones, it goes beyond 'the bottom line is sound quality'.   Saying that is a conjecture.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #4162 of 5508

^Damn ac500, I pity you.

 

5% Beats, 25% iBuds, 10% fashion re-brand (Roxy, WeSC, etc), 60% iFrogz and Skullcandy (hard to tell them apart) and 10% Sennheiser.

post #4163 of 5508

1% Beats, 5% Skullcandy, 25% iBuds, 59% custom earbuds and 8% casual brands(like Phillips) and 2% hi-fi HP...

post #4164 of 5508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagelou View Post

Quote:


I have to slightly disagree with this. If I'm spending $300+ on a headphone (even $100+), I expect it to last me at-least a year =/

I've never owned the Beats so I dunno about long-term build issues, but I have read more reviews of them breaking at the band than reviews saying they have amazing build quality.

 

Anyways back on topic, for you guys in college, what percentage of headphones on your campus do you think are Beats? I'd say probably around 30~40% at my college, and some Bose too.

 


 

I don't think the build quality issue can be played down. When I put them on, I'm afraid that I will break them, and I'll end up paying for them. The creaking and rattling with the Studios is nerve-racking, and the Solos feel like toothpicks. Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but I observed that they have to be babied. Since they're made to be portable, they have to be durable. You guys have seen which demographic uses these, as well.

 

60% iBuds, 15% other buds/IEMs, 10% Beats, 5% headphones I approve of! Small school, so I have some influence. AT Pro 700 Mk. II, Koss DJ100, Hippo VB, Koss Portapro, my M50s (Upgrading to an Ultrasone Pro 900 setup), and soon more. One of my friends just sold his Studios and came to me for some new cans!

post #4165 of 5508

There are a few people with over-ear Skullcandies. Those things are ugly.

post #4166 of 5508

Friend bought some fake dealextreme Solo HD's. 

He knew they sound awful: he bought it so he could get the attention of the Beats fanboys..

 

this really does prove that people buy Beats for the looks and attention rather then sound...

 

I think i'll post what I think of them once them come.

post #4167 of 5508

Thread-jacking is half the fun!

 

In all seriousness: Did any admins/moderators say to stay on topic? If so, I definitely apologize for missing that and continuing to go off topic. I definitely feel like this debate should be over and I have a hard time resisting responses to on-going debates when I feel the answer is painfully obvious. I also apologize for being off topic in this post.

 

To be a little more on topic...

 

These Beats sound so good!

Monster%20Beats%20by%20Dr.Dre%20Studio%20James%20Champagne.jpg

post #4168 of 5508
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Lemon View Post

Thread-jacking is half the fun!

 

In all seriousness: Did any admins/moderators say to stay on topic? If so, I definitely apologize for missing that and continuing to go off topic. I definitely feel like this debate should be over and I have a hard time resisting responses to on-going debates when I feel the answer is painfully obvious. I also apologize for being off topic in this post.

 

To be a little more on topic...


Currawong said to get back on track about 10 pages back...

 

post #4169 of 5508

In Toronto....95% of headphones i usually see are beats. It's really sad.

post #4170 of 5508
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake2393 View Post


Currawong said to get back on track about 10 pages back...

 


Wasn't that a different tangent though? Monster fans like to be very passionate about many things and it riles everyone up (me included).

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats