Ok, so I ordered a pair off of Amazon because I saw the rave reviews for the isolation. I've been using many different types of earphones like the CK10s and the Westone UM3x. However, these don't isolate enough for the airplane, so I have to use the Bose QuietComfort 15s for the airplane: great noise-canceling, but horrid sound quality. Well, I heard the Etys can isolate even further without making one feel claustrophobic due to the noise-canceling technology as opposed to noise-isolating technology. So, my question is if these actually live up to the hype for isolation purposes?
Related Forum Threads
- $1000 for a portable in-ear earphone system Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Yet another "best IEM for ~€120 ($150)" thread Last post on 11/2/12 at 5:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Companion IEM to ER-4P? Last post on 10/1/12 at 5:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thievery! Last post on 9/28/12 at 9:18am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrading from Shure 530s Last post on 9/26/12 at 10:22am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Intro:- I was really excited when SoundMAGIC announced a couple of new earphones with a new “Reference” line up, Led by E80, their flagship, and subordinate E50( like Bumblebee), what I...
I was invited by Noontec to write a honest review of their Hammo S headphone. I tend to be very skeptical about lower-priced headphones, since the bottom tier of headphones/speakers tend to...
RHA T20 Review Tour Many thanks to RHA and forum member Rearwing for arranging the tour and the generosity of a 10-day listening period (my suspicion though is to pass some thanks to reviewer...
Construction, Materials, and Comfort: For starters, the protein leather is extremely soft and supple, and makes the ear pads and headband luxurious to touch. Heat retention actually isn't as bad...
I originally bought these after my earphones that came with my phone broke. After receiving these I was extremely pleased with the bass: it was boomy, punchy and felt powerful. These were also very...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Are the Ety ER-4Ps Really That Isolating?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yes they are; it depends on what tips you use though. If you use the included gray foam tips that are cyllindrically(sp) shaped and a little stiff, you can get amazing isolation.
Those are the only tips I used because of the isolation and comfort they provided.
With music playing through them, I guarantee it. I just got off the plane a few days ago and my newly acquired ER4 was what I brought with me this time around. Didn't hear a single thing from that extremely noisy plane ride with them and my iPod on.
I used the triple flange tips though, as those provided me the most comfort. The foam tips are a little too "suffocating" for my ears to like. Again, all based one's preferences and the shape of their ear canals.
My ears don't work with anything large, but luckily, these are pretty narrow and small IEMs work like a charm for me! I'm eager to get them now since maybe I can finally get great isolation and great sound in one package ;)
For me, Ety (HF5) + Shure Olives (black foam) = supreme isolation. On a plane, with no music you will still hear/feel some rumbling (but in a soothing way) -- once the music can come on and play, all the noise goes away.
That's pretty impressive, ClieOS. Thanks for the feedback! I've also been wondering about some of the other Etys which claim the same isolation level, but somehow, they looked bigger to me. Whatever, the ER-4Ps are on their way by now anyways :)
They look pretty narrow and small but you do have to get them really far into your ear canals to get decent bass and good isolation. I for one have narrow ears canals and no matter how hard I tried I could not get them in far enough, although I have no problem with all other brands of IEMs. Hope you have better luck then I do.
It's been my experience, and I'm sure ClieOS can correct me if I'm wrong, that the farther in your ear the IEM goes, the better the isolation. IEMs like those from Westone that barely go in your ear canal really don't isolate that well.
That's only true to certain extent. The way that the etys are constructed with thin bores, the items themselves built to minimize sound penetration, the high quality stock foam tips, and the fact that you can stick them fair into your ears achieve that extreme isolation that is well known of the etys.
- Are the Ety ER-4Ps Really That Isolating?
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 1 second ago
- › Wide Soundstage Open-back Headphones Under $500? 6 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 10 seconds ago
- › The new Sansui SS-100 Thread 21 seconds ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 42 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 2 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 2 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by suman134
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by Lunatique
- › RHA T20 by LFC_SL
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › Creative Sound Blaster E1 Portable Headphone Amplifier with... by Evshrug
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluetooth Wireless Headphones by pformagg
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)