Ok, so I ordered a pair off of Amazon because I saw the rave reviews for the isolation. I've been using many different types of earphones like the CK10s and the Westone UM3x. However, these don't isolate enough for the airplane, so I have to use the Bose QuietComfort 15s for the airplane: great noise-canceling, but horrid sound quality. Well, I heard the Etys can isolate even further without making one feel claustrophobic due to the noise-canceling technology as opposed to noise-isolating technology. So, my question is if these actually live up to the hype for isolation purposes?
Related Forum Threads
- $1000 for a portable in-ear earphone system Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Yet another "best IEM for ~€120 ($150)" thread Last post on 11/2/12 at 5:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Companion IEM to ER-4P? Last post on 10/1/12 at 5:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thievery! Last post on 9/28/12 at 9:18am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrading from Shure 530s Last post on 9/26/12 at 10:22am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Aesthetics: The box with its engineering drawings, beautiful graphics, and presentation of the product leaves a great first impression. Included are ample sizes of silicon earpieces to choose...
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
I just got my X1 II but I'm really busy so I will first pen a few quick thoughts and edit this next time/respond to any comments or PMs you send me :) Info and Specs...
Empire Ears & Effect Audio Collaboration “ARTHUR” Intro Specifications Arthur frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Sensitivity: 21ohm @ 1mw 14 Balanced Armature drivers...
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
Are the Ety ER-4Ps Really That Isolating?post #1 of 312/17/11 at 8:53pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 312/17/11 at 8:57pm
Yes they are; it depends on what tips you use though. If you use the included gray foam tips that are cyllindrically(sp) shaped and a little stiff, you can get amazing isolation.
Those are the only tips I used because of the isolation and comfort they provided.post #3 of 312/17/11 at 9:08pm
With music playing through them, I guarantee it. I just got off the plane a few days ago and my newly acquired ER4 was what I brought with me this time around. Didn't hear a single thing from that extremely noisy plane ride with them and my iPod on.
I used the triple flange tips though, as those provided me the most comfort. The foam tips are a little too "suffocating" for my ears to like. Again, all based one's preferences and the shape of their ear canals.post #4 of 312/17/11 at 9:51pmThread Starter
My ears don't work with anything large, but luckily, these are pretty narrow and small IEMs work like a charm for me! I'm eager to get them now since maybe I can finally get great isolation and great sound in one package ;)post #5 of 312/17/11 at 10:19pmpost #6 of 312/18/11 at 2:26ampost #7 of 312/18/11 at 5:55ampost #8 of 312/18/11 at 6:13ampost #9 of 312/18/11 at 6:25am
For me, Ety (HF5) + Shure Olives (black foam) = supreme isolation. On a plane, with no music you will still hear/feel some rumbling (but in a soothing way) -- once the music can come on and play, all the noise goes away.post #10 of 312/18/11 at 6:30ampost #11 of 312/18/11 at 6:32ampost #12 of 312/18/11 at 7:38amThread Starter
That's pretty impressive, ClieOS. Thanks for the feedback! I've also been wondering about some of the other Etys which claim the same isolation level, but somehow, they looked bigger to me. Whatever, the ER-4Ps are on their way by now anyways :)post #13 of 312/18/11 at 8:14am
They look pretty narrow and small but you do have to get them really far into your ear canals to get decent bass and good isolation. I for one have narrow ears canals and no matter how hard I tried I could not get them in far enough, although I have no problem with all other brands of IEMs. Hope you have better luck then I do.
post #14 of 312/18/11 at 10:13am
It's been my experience, and I'm sure ClieOS can correct me if I'm wrong, that the farther in your ear the IEM goes, the better the isolation. IEMs like those from Westone that barely go in your ear canal really don't isolate that well.post #15 of 312/18/11 at 10:20am
That's only true to certain extent. The way that the etys are constructed with thin bores, the items themselves built to minimize sound penetration, the high quality stock foam tips, and the fact that you can stick them fair into your ears achieve that extreme isolation that is well known of the etys.
Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Are the Ety ER-4Ps Really That Isolating?
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 33 seconds ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 1 minute ago
- › Best Computer Audio Player Software? 2 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 2 minutes ago
- › Damping Mechanical Energy Distortion of STAX and other phones with... 2 minutes ago
- › The New Thinksound Woodies. ON2, Rain3 and MS02 2 minutes ago
- › Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW,... 3 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 3 minutes ago
- › Jaybird X3 vs Bose Soundsport Wireless 3 minutes ago
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by wdetterman
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear