Ok, so I ordered a pair off of Amazon because I saw the rave reviews for the isolation. I've been using many different types of earphones like the CK10s and the Westone UM3x. However, these don't isolate enough for the airplane, so I have to use the Bose QuietComfort 15s for the airplane: great noise-canceling, but horrid sound quality. Well, I heard the Etys can isolate even further without making one feel claustrophobic due to the noise-canceling technology as opposed to noise-isolating technology. So, my question is if these actually live up to the hype for isolation purposes?
Related Forum Threads
- Yet another "best IEM for ~€120 ($150)" thread Last post on 11/2/12 at 5:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Companion IEM to ER-4P? Last post on 10/1/12 at 5:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thievery! Last post on 9/28/12 at 9:18am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrading from Shure 530s Last post on 9/26/12 at 10:22am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ety's vs. Fischer? Last post on 9/21/12 at 3:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
Introduction – So a few weeks into my search and discovery of budget-based earphones has led me here - to the Xiaomi Piston 2.1. The Pistons are the result of the popular Chinese smartphone...
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Are the Ety ER-4Ps Really That Isolating?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yes they are; it depends on what tips you use though. If you use the included gray foam tips that are cyllindrically(sp) shaped and a little stiff, you can get amazing isolation.
Those are the only tips I used because of the isolation and comfort they provided.
With music playing through them, I guarantee it. I just got off the plane a few days ago and my newly acquired ER4 was what I brought with me this time around. Didn't hear a single thing from that extremely noisy plane ride with them and my iPod on.
I used the triple flange tips though, as those provided me the most comfort. The foam tips are a little too "suffocating" for my ears to like. Again, all based one's preferences and the shape of their ear canals.
My ears don't work with anything large, but luckily, these are pretty narrow and small IEMs work like a charm for me! I'm eager to get them now since maybe I can finally get great isolation and great sound in one package ;)
For me, Ety (HF5) + Shure Olives (black foam) = supreme isolation. On a plane, with no music you will still hear/feel some rumbling (but in a soothing way) -- once the music can come on and play, all the noise goes away.
That's pretty impressive, ClieOS. Thanks for the feedback! I've also been wondering about some of the other Etys which claim the same isolation level, but somehow, they looked bigger to me. Whatever, the ER-4Ps are on their way by now anyways :)
They look pretty narrow and small but you do have to get them really far into your ear canals to get decent bass and good isolation. I for one have narrow ears canals and no matter how hard I tried I could not get them in far enough, although I have no problem with all other brands of IEMs. Hope you have better luck then I do.
It's been my experience, and I'm sure ClieOS can correct me if I'm wrong, that the farther in your ear the IEM goes, the better the isolation. IEMs like those from Westone that barely go in your ear canal really don't isolate that well.
That's only true to certain extent. The way that the etys are constructed with thin bores, the items themselves built to minimize sound penetration, the high quality stock foam tips, and the fact that you can stick them fair into your ears achieve that extreme isolation that is well known of the etys.
- Are the Ety ER-4Ps Really That Isolating?
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 22 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 29 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Bicycle-Fi! 1 minute ago
- › High-End Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Blox, Yuin etc) and Earbud Gear... 1 minute ago
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 2 minutes ago
- › Update On Current Status 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for IEM headphones for workouts / traveling 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Audiophile1811
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › Review before you send an email
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3