Ok, so I ordered a pair off of Amazon because I saw the rave reviews for the isolation. I've been using many different types of earphones like the CK10s and the Westone UM3x. However, these don't isolate enough for the airplane, so I have to use the Bose QuietComfort 15s for the airplane: great noise-canceling, but horrid sound quality. Well, I heard the Etys can isolate even further without making one feel claustrophobic due to the noise-canceling technology as opposed to noise-isolating technology. So, my question is if these actually live up to the hype for isolation purposes?
Related Forum Threads
- $1000 for a portable in-ear earphone system Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Yet another "best IEM for ~€120 ($150)" thread Last post on 11/2/12 at 5:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Companion IEM to ER-4P? Last post on 10/1/12 at 5:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thievery! Last post on 9/28/12 at 9:18am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrading from Shure 530s Last post on 9/26/12 at 10:22am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Are the Ety ER-4Ps Really That Isolating?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yes they are; it depends on what tips you use though. If you use the included gray foam tips that are cyllindrically(sp) shaped and a little stiff, you can get amazing isolation.
Those are the only tips I used because of the isolation and comfort they provided.
With music playing through them, I guarantee it. I just got off the plane a few days ago and my newly acquired ER4 was what I brought with me this time around. Didn't hear a single thing from that extremely noisy plane ride with them and my iPod on.
I used the triple flange tips though, as those provided me the most comfort. The foam tips are a little too "suffocating" for my ears to like. Again, all based one's preferences and the shape of their ear canals.
My ears don't work with anything large, but luckily, these are pretty narrow and small IEMs work like a charm for me! I'm eager to get them now since maybe I can finally get great isolation and great sound in one package ;)
For me, Ety (HF5) + Shure Olives (black foam) = supreme isolation. On a plane, with no music you will still hear/feel some rumbling (but in a soothing way) -- once the music can come on and play, all the noise goes away.
That's pretty impressive, ClieOS. Thanks for the feedback! I've also been wondering about some of the other Etys which claim the same isolation level, but somehow, they looked bigger to me. Whatever, the ER-4Ps are on their way by now anyways :)
They look pretty narrow and small but you do have to get them really far into your ear canals to get decent bass and good isolation. I for one have narrow ears canals and no matter how hard I tried I could not get them in far enough, although I have no problem with all other brands of IEMs. Hope you have better luck then I do.
It's been my experience, and I'm sure ClieOS can correct me if I'm wrong, that the farther in your ear the IEM goes, the better the isolation. IEMs like those from Westone that barely go in your ear canal really don't isolate that well.
That's only true to certain extent. The way that the etys are constructed with thin bores, the items themselves built to minimize sound penetration, the high quality stock foam tips, and the fact that you can stick them fair into your ears achieve that extreme isolation that is well known of the etys.
- Are the Ety ER-4Ps Really That Isolating?
- › Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA... 45 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 1 minute ago
- › Comparison: Noble K10 vs Rhapsodio Solar vs Rhapsodio Galaxy vs... 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 6 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 7 minutes ago
- › Koss Portapro Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 9 minutes ago
- › iPod replacement for vehicle use with DAC embedded - what do you... 10 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by peter123
- › Basic M90 by Lad3
- › Aune M2 32BIT DSD portable music player by Faheem
- › Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable, 78548 by twister6
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...