Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread - Page 77

post #1141 of 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleki View Post

Totally agree. The B2's were just too difficult for me to like when switching back-forth.

Once I got a sense of the imaging, fullness and speed of a masterpiece 1k headphone, it was impossible to adjust to the B2's "anemic" replication. Strangely enough, I got more enjoyment out of Ety's HF5's than the B2's. It's analytical enough to tear down bad music, but just a bit warmer, so it isnt boring(tomy ears).

 

+1

 

HF5 are more enjoyable on music I listen to mostly. I could not stand the brightness of electronic synthesizers and goa trance on the B2s.

post #1142 of 1355

I recall B2s being favorably compared to $1000 phones when they 1st came out and nobody complaining at the time. Got me to buy them. I also would take the HF5 over them. I appreciate what they do and preference but too hot and lean for me to feel them neutral. I think they go low enough but the balance isn't my cup of tea. I think you can have detail without something quite this hot though it does become more difficult at this price so value becomes a different argument than overall goodness. Both are worthy discussions however.


Edited by goodvibes - 9/5/12 at 7:41am
post #1143 of 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

I recall B2s being favorably compared to $1000 phones when they 1st came out and nobody complaining at the time.

 

Comparing B2 favorably to thousand dollar+ cans is equally misinformed as comparing the other way around. I can see two IEMs going head to head; two cans head to head; but IEM to cans? Oh, I forget. It's valid so long as they're both connected to the same source, lol.

post #1144 of 1355

I get both sides of the argument here, in many ways they cant be compared but when you do compare you can use a 1000 set to use as a reference for what you think is perfect sound.  Both arguments are valid the way i would phrase it is " The two can be compared but one must manage expectations based on a number of factors ie price, iem vs cans.  Using a expensive high end set can always be used as a reference"

 

 

When talking source the b2 will probably sound a ton better out a ipod video hp out than the he-6. and it works vice-versa.

When talking portability the b2 wins again etc etc etc

 

I am no fan of the b2 for the record.


Edited by stozzer123 - 9/5/12 at 10:21am
post #1145 of 1355

Sorry but a properly fit B2 absolutely crushes the D7100 and a few Ultrasones to name a few.  So it is not unwarranted IMHO.   

post #1146 of 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Sorry but a properly fit B2 absolutely crushes the D7100 and a few Ultrasones to name a few.  So it is not unwarranted IMHO.   

 

Exactly.

post #1147 of 1355

wow then those d7100 must sound like crap considering im completely unimpressed with the b2

post #1148 of 1355

Try them out and see for yourself.

 

Apart from slightly off treble tone and rolled off bass extension under 30hz, I really think they are a great phone especially for the price.  Neither myself or LFF or other B2 fans really hear any of the typical criticisms but possible reasons for this have already been expressed in this thread.  They have some of the best clarity in any phone you can get and provide a very live sounding 3D presentation w/ rounded notes as well with solid bass impact and punch and sufficiently engaging and smooth mids.  No Ety has ever sounded anything but 2D to me despite other positives they have.  The DBA-02/B2 even has slightly better clarity than the UERM and is more coherent.  There's a whole list of phones from $150 to $1,500 I'd not take over the B2.   

post #1149 of 1355

Just got my B2's last night.  Very happy with my purchase so far.  I also picked up some Comply Tips with all of the recommendations out there.  A couple of first impression notes.

 

1. Wow.  They sound great.

2. Nice selection of tips.  I'm going to play with the tips a bit to get my full preferences.

3. The Foam tips are not good for situations where you will be taking the headphones out a lot.  It's just more effort to get them in and let them fit themselves. 

4. Isolation is great for me.  Wife got mad because I didn't know she was calling me until she was in the room in front of me.

5. They are a little large to sleep in.  I just took one ear out and they worked great.  I just may need to pick up something different if I want to sleep with them on.

6. Very Comfortable.

 

 

 

P.S.  I used the isolation as an explanation as to why my next pair needs to be full size Open cans with poor isolation.  It's for her benefit after all.

post #1150 of 1355

I see what your saying and there are a few cheaper phones myself that i would turn down (over or iem) at much higher prices for them, the b2 isnt there for me its overly bright and dull sounding, but then again thats more down to a signature pref.  Very true that price just isnt a quality factor, with a just a little bit of effort and cash you can get the t50rp mod the hell out it and have something that positively shames overpriced options.

 

Edit: this response was for anaxilus.

post #1151 of 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Try them out and see for yourself.

 

Apart from slightly off treble tone and rolled off bass extension under 30hz, I really think they are a great phone especially for the price.  Neither myself or LFF or other B2 fans really hear any of the typical criticisms but possible reasons for this have already been expressed in this thread.  They have some of the best clarity in any phone you can get and provide a very live sounding 3D presentation w/ rounded notes as well with solid bass impact and punch and sufficiently engaging and smooth mids.  No Ety has ever sounded anything but 2D to me despite other positives they have.  The DBA-02/B2 even has slightly better clarity than the UERM and is more coherent.  There's a whole list of phones from $150 to $1,500 I'd not take over the B2.   

 

Wow surprising impressions but after hearing the UERM universal version I must agree. I was actually really disappointed in the sound given my expectations because of the price. 

post #1152 of 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

Wow surprising impressions but after hearing the UERM universal version I must agree. I was actually really disappointed in the sound given my expectations because of the price. 

 

The UERM does do everything else better though.  I struggled w/ the idea of keeping it when I got it but it has really become a valuable tool for me and it is very enjoyable.  Of course 99% of the time it is being fed really good hirez stuff through fairly decent dacs and amps.

post #1153 of 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by stozzer123 View Post

The two can be compared but one must manage expectations based on a number of factors ie price, iem vs cans.  Using a expensive high end set can always be used as a reference

 

Regarding IEM vs. cans, it depends what you're comparing.  If you're talking about ability to point-source or stage, that's difficult to compare, but something like extension is an easy & valid comparison, it applies from transducer to transducer...provided one is driving them to potential.

 

Like you said, one must manage expectations.  And it helps to think a little about such variables, or in lieu of that, have some experience, before picking a position on a topic.

post #1154 of 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Try them out and see for yourself.

 

Apart from slightly off treble tone and rolled off bass extension under 30hz, I really think they are a great phone especially for the price.  Neither myself or LFF or other B2 fans really hear any of the typical criticisms but possible reasons for this have already been expressed in this thread.  They have some of the best clarity in any phone you can get and provide a very live sounding 3D presentation w/ rounded notes as well with solid bass impact and punch and sufficiently engaging and smooth mids.  No Ety has ever sounded anything but 2D to me despite other positives they have.  The DBA-02/B2 even has slightly better clarity than the UERM and is more coherent.  There's a whole list of phones from $150 to $1,500 I'd not take over the B2.   

I've got no problems with this take as we're all different but I have both good sources and files and found them very detailed but unnatural for me. Depth in IEMs is not a big criteria for me either. It's cool but as often an artifact as real. I do understand tip rolling can help but when pages of a thread are devoted to just that, perhaps it's a clue to something. I hear the mkII has been a bit tamed. bigsmile_face.gif Here's where price enters the picture. No doubt that they're a great value if the sig works for you.

post #1155 of 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

I've got no problems with this take as we're all different but I have both good sources and files and found them very detailed but unnatural for me. Depth in IEMs is not a big criteria for me either. It's cool but as often an artifact as real. I do understand tip rolling can help but when pages of a thread are devoted to just that, perhaps it's a clue to something. I hear the mkII has been a bit tamed. bigsmile_face.gif Here's where price enters the picture. No doubt that they're a great value if the sig works for you.

Well... the sig works for me.

Having had the W4 in my ears (exclusively) since I bought them a couple months ago, I put the DBA-02 in my ears today. Once again the clarity and brilliance that is missing in the W4 came back to where I really like it. Sharp, crisp, and crystal clear.

Don't get me wrong... I think the W4 is a more 'natural' sounding IEM. I think the bass extension and warmth (slight as it may be) have a bit more 'acoustic' quality to them. But they are not without their issues. The W4 have a severe dip in the upper mids, and a roll off of the highs. If these two issues were not present, I'd crown them king of the IEM's I've ever owned. Sure they can be less fatiguing than the DBA-02/ B2 (to some folks), but I've never had an issue with their highs.

 

My point is that some IEM's that cost 3x as much don't have the overall clarity and neutrality that the DBA-02 / B2 have. As fine and smooth and mellow and 'acoustic' as the W4 is, I can't really say they are 'better' than the DBA-02.

The DBA-02 is still my go to IEM. They should be... I own 3 of them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread