so i work over 40 hours a week and have my headphones on for probably 38 of those hours... i currently have the m50's and am looking for more out of the headphones... I dont really know where to go from here. I got these headphones maybe 6 months ago when i gave up on bose and decided that there had to be something better. I sort of find my self in the same place. Im not sure if i should get a new pair of headphones or get an amp. Im usually at my desk so i dont need something mobile or anything...
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 2/18/11
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 2/18/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/18/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/18/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 2/18/11
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 2/18/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 2/18/11
- productUltrasone PRO 750tagged by System, 2/18/11
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 2/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Are the VMODA M-100 Bassy? Plus other headphones Last post on 12/13/12 at 10:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dubstep Headphones Last post on 11/20/12 at 7:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choose :) Last post on 12/11/12 at 9:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Pro 900 Alternatives Last post on 10/5/11 at 12:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I still have yet to give anything 5 stars. The SR-202, for me, is a solid option for alternatives to the HD700, if you can find them without breaking the bank. I will start with the things I...
Fidue A65 Thanks to tony from hifiheadphones for letting me be part of the UK tour. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Drivers: Custom 8mm dynamic driver with Titanium...
Background When was the last time you used a pair of earbuds? Perhaps you use your Apple Earpods at work to remain inconspicuous, or maybe you are one of the many who have purchased the VE...
About Me: I'm just your average guy making his way through college with a passing interest in audio fidelity. I'm NOT an audiophile, but I've got a little experience ranging from lower-end...
Preamble:Pai Audio (http://www.paiaudio.com/indexEn.asp) is a relatively new audio company and based in Shenzhen, China. Established in 2014, they have specialised in manufacturing in-ears....
Upgrades for my M50's at work...post #1 of 112/17/11 at 6:44pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 112/17/11 at 7:13pm
I don't log the same number of hours that you do, but I use my m50's at work everyday.
Here are some thoughts:
Are you listening direct from your computer? If so, you might want to invest in a portable DAC; this will give you a better signal with less noise and less distortion.
Are you listening to mp3 or full resolution files? You might try out some full resolution files. The compromises entailed in the typical 128 kHz mp3 format is indeed something that might get on your nerves during long listening session. For long sessions, your brain may fatigue, even if it doesn't seem significant in shorter listening sessions. IMO.
Do you find the headphones to by physically comfortable? If not, and you think that's the root problem, then the only solution may be new 'phones.
My usual set-up at work is iPod with full resolution files, LOD, and amp. The M50 doesn't need an amp, I would say. But using the LOD made a big difference in my at-work listening. Of course, in order to use the LOD, you have to use an amp in order to control volume.post #3 of 112/18/11 at 11:36amThread Starter
ahh okay, i got ya.. i was looking for something that i didnt have to charge.. and im guessing a portable dac you do need to...
i currently listen to my itunes.. mostly filled with m3s ( ~200 kbps)
I listen to a lot of hip hop, dub, and electronic music.. if you can recommenda good amp (but i know what your saying they dont need it) or recommenda new pair of phones
im looking for heavier bass.... i have had these suggestions so far..
Ultrasone PRO 750
Denon AHD2000post #4 of 112/18/11 at 11:59am
Ultrasone Pro 900s are amazing, but they really benefit from an amp. I take in my Sony X, Arrow 3G, & Pro 900s each day and spend most of my time at work with this setup running. Sometimes it's hard to work because it sounds so good together. If you spend that many hours of your week listening like that, you should treat yourself to something really nice!post #5 of 112/18/11 at 12:20pmpost #6 of 112/18/11 at 1:36pmThread Starter
im really trying to avoid portable amps... i am way too forgetful and i have the small fiio e5 and i never use it because its never charged!
i used to have the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and i hated them.. they didnt bump
im also looking to stay in the 300 dollar range! or atleast for right now... slowly i will upgrade just like i did from my m50... its just getting to know what i like and understanding why its goodpost #7 of 112/18/11 at 2:56pmpost #8 of 112/18/11 at 4:13pm
I was doing the same thing. I had an M50 at work. Buy a headroom amp or an E7 DAC to clean up the sound and tighten things up. I just use an E7 at work. I have the E9 as well, but have resorted to not using it at work, although it gives the E7/E9 unit better volume adjustment and smoother sound (dedicated amplifier). I ditched the M50s eventually for the Denon AD-H2000, 1100 and AHA-100 (which I now treasure). Beautiful sound for work. Use higher resolution MP3s if you are listening to those–224-192kbps. FYI-Classical really needs higher 224 or higher.post #9 of 112/20/11 at 9:31pmThread Starter
i have been in the process of upgrading the music i listen to most often to higher quality. Trying to get flac for a lot of my deadmau5... but maybe 320 mp3's for the rest...
i started looking into the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro and the Ultrasone HFI-580 also...
Ill prob end up going with the e9 amp and the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro (80ohms)post #10 of 113/10/11 at 2:02pm
I have the m50s and have tried the 770's. Both straight out of the PC. I Kept the m50's b/c the 770's just didn't sound as good with everything like the m50's did. I too wanted ... more. So I picked up the e7/e9 combo for 199 shipped from the micca store. Couldn't have been more suprised with how much it helped. It added a great deal of dynamic range/excitement to everything i was listening to.
Having said all of that, i'm now thinking i'd like to get the Pro 900s for work and take the m50's home. I spend 60+hrs at work and it seems like the majority of that time I have my cans on.
- Upgrades for my M50's at work...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 14 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Headphone to IEM converts? 2 minutes ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers) 3 minutes ago
- › How to eliminate stuttering in audio players? 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 3 minutes ago
- › Questyle CMA600i first impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Aornic
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by Midgetguy
- › Pai Audio MR4 by HiFiChris
- › Echobox Audio Finder X1 by Hisoundfi
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by Hisoundfi
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...