Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors - Page 67

post #991 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba315 View Post

  •  
  •  
  •  
What are your experiences with the MG6Pro?

 

 

My experiences of the MG6Pro are that, contrary to the way almost every pundit in this thread has glowingly lavished praise upon it, the MG6Pro is not, in fact, an audiophile-oriented CIEM.

 

I'm not saying it isn't any good; I'm just pointing out that it isn't aimed at audiophile use. Out of respect to FS, I've remained quiet about this, but since no one else seems willing, or sufficiently aware, to discuss this publicly (not even FS themselves, in their own literature), this thread has become rather skewed in its appraisal of the MG6Pro, which can be misleading to potential audiophile-oriented purchasers.

 

Consequently, I've come to the conclusion that it's unfair of me to remain quiet any longer, as quite a few Head-fiers may experience disappointment if spending their hard-earned cash on what they have been led to believe by other Head-fiers is an audiophile CIEM.

 

I am not 'axe-grinding' here. If I wanted to 'axe-grind' I could have done that long before now, and I have enough life experience to know that putting negativity out into the world only begets negativity in return, one way or another. Please understand, therefore, that this post, whilst undoubtedly being contentious and potentially-unsettling to some, is coming from a sincere standpoint, not a negative one.

 

 

 

So...with that out of the way....

 

 

The design brief for the MG6Pro was very, very specific - namely, for HIGH-SPL stage use, and high-SPL stage use means that certain frequencies can rapidly become fatiguing to the user. Therefore, an experienced designer designing a CIEM for HIGH-SPL usage may choose to take this factor into account when designing an appropriately non-fatiguing frequency response. I am given to understand that such was the case when Marty designed the MG6Pro's drive unit.

 

However, at the time of this writing, on the FS website, the MG6 Pro is described thus:

 

The mg6pro™ are multi-driver & crossover free; delivering full range audio w/ natural hi-end sparkle, warm mids and a low-end frequency response no two, three, four or more way balanced armature earpiece can touch!

 

Whilst I acknowledge, in FS's defense, that they do not actively promote the MG6Pro to audiophiles, it nonetheless remains the case, as you can see from the above quote, that no mention is made of the frequency response of the MG6Pro having been deliberately tailored in the aforementioned manner.

 

If FS were up-front about this and/or permitted 'universal demo' units (I know they're flawed, but they're better than nothing) then there would be far less potential for audiophile-oriented customers to spend several hundred bucks on something they end up being disappointed with. The standard recommendation for potential MG6Pro customers to listen to the MG7-driver Atrios is misleading, in my view, since the MG7 driver's frequency response is not tailored the same as the MG6Pro.

 

All CIEMs have differing sonic characteristics, of course, but the issue with the MG6Pro is that the frequency response has been very specifically tailored to a purpose other than that traditionally sought by audiophiles (i.e. striving for as close to an even frequency response as reasonably practicable). Evidently, the MG6Pro still pleases some audiophiles, in spite of deviating from this, but, judging by personal PM conversations I've had, I am very definitely not alone in finding it less than satisfying. Anyone reading this Head-fi thread could much too easily arrive at the conclusion that the MG6Pro has a supremely balanced frequency response (a conclusion which, even in the absence of the glowing testimonies, is all the more tempting to arrive at, by virtue of the single, crossover-free, dynamic driver design). And, indeed, some owners may retort to my post that they do consider the MG6Pro to be 'supremely balanced', but I beg to differ.

 

 

 

Again, let me make it perfectly clear that I am not 'bashing' the MG6Pro - it is very effective in fulfilling its intended design brief, and it is a good quality CIEM overall. By comparison with Balanced Armature models, it is also notably robust, both in terms of ability to withstand inappropriate input signals, and in terms of shock resistance (if dropped onto the floor).

 

My only intention in contributing this post is to bring some balance to what has, up 'til now, remained an extraordinarily one-sided thread, so that potential Head-fi customers of the MG6Pro can hopefully make a somewhat more informed decision.

 

Please note that I will absolutely not be drawn into any debate regarding what I've said here. Such debates only ever end up becoming heated and therefore counter-productive. I've said what I've said, and I've said it sincerely, from a non-negative intention/standpoint. If you read my post and interpret it as a negative attack on the MG6Pro or on FS or anyone on their staff, then please take a deep breath, re-read, and realise that that's an inaccurate projection on your part. You do not need to 'counter attack', or 'defend' or whatever, because I'm not 'attacking' anything in the first place.

 

Put simply, if you are a potential customer of the MG6Pro and wish to discuss the specific intricacies of its design brief, then I recommend you contact FS by phone, and get all the details straight from the horses mouth, so-to-speak. As a potential customer, it will benefit both you and FS to discuss such matters prior to placing an order. If, having done so, you decide to go ahead and order the MG6Pro, I hope you enjoy it very much.

 

 

 

As with all CIEMs...

 

 

"Caveat Emptor"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And @ David/Marty (yes, I know you keep an eye on this Head-fi thread), howsabout acknowledging on your website that the MG6Pro has a response specifically tailored for HIGH-SPL stage usage? It wouldn't lose you any of your pro customers and it would reduce hassle and potential disappointment for audiophile-oriented customers, which is in the best interests of both them and you.

 

.


Edited by Mython - 10/26/12 at 9:34pm
post #992 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

 

My experiences of the MG6Pro are that, contrary to the way almost every pundit in this thread has glowingly lavished praise upon it, the MG6Pro is not, in fact, an audiophile-oriented CIEM.

 

I'm not saying it isn't any good; I'm just pointing out that it isn't aimed at audiophile use. Out of respect to FS, I've remained quiet about this, but since no one else seems willing, or sufficiently aware, to discuss this publicly (not even FS themselves, in their own literature), this thread has become rather skewed in its appraisal of the MG6Pro, which can be misleading to potential audiophile-oriented purchasers.

 

Consequently, I've come to the conclusion that it's unfair of me to remain quiet any longer, as quite a few Head-fiers may experience disappointment if spending their hard-earned cash on what they have been led to believe by other Head-fiers is an audiophile CIEM.

 

I am not 'axe-grinding' here. If I wanted to 'axe-grind' I could have done that long before now, and I have enough life experience to know that putting negativity out into the world only begets negativity in return, one way or another. Please understand, therefore, that this post, whilst undoubtedly being contentious and potentially-unsettling to some, is coming from a sincere standpoint, not a negative one.

 

 

 

So...with that out of the way....

 

 

The design brief for the MG6Pro was very, very specific - namely, for HIGH-SPL stage use, and high-SPL stage use means that certain frequencies can rapidly become fatiguing to the user. Therefore, an experienced designer designing a CIEM for HIGH-SPL usage may choose to take this factor into account when designing an appropriately non-fatiguing frequency response. I am given to understand that such was the case when Marty designed the MG6Pro's drive unit.

 

However, at the time of this writing, on the FS website, the MG6 Pro is described thus:

 

The mg6pro™ are multi-driver & crossover free; delivering full range audio w/ natural hi-end sparkle, warm mids and a low-end frequency response no two, three, four or more way balanced armature earpiece can touch!

 

Whilst I acknowledge, in FS's defense, that they do not actively promote the MG6Pro to audiophiles, it nonetheless remains the case, as you can see from the above quote, that no mention is made of the frequency response of the MG6Pro having been deliberately tailored in the aforementioned manner.

 

If FS were up-front about this and/or permitted 'universal demo' units (I know they're flawed, but they're better than nothing) then there would be far less potential for audiophile-oriented customers to spend several hundred bucks on something they end up being disappointed with. The standard recommendation for potential MG6Pro customers to listen to the MG7-driver Atrios is misleading, in my view, since the MG7 driver's frequency response is not tailored the same as the MG6Pro.

 

All CIEMs have differing sonic characteristics, of course, but the issue with the MG6Pro is that the frequency response has been very specifically tailored to a purpose other than that traditionally sought by audiophiles (i.e. striving for as close to an even frequency response as reasonably practicable). Evidently, the MG6Pro still pleases some audiophiles, in spite of deviating from this, but, judging by personal PM conversations I've had, I am very definitely not alone in finding it less than satisfying. Anyone reading this Head-fi thread could much too easily arrive at the conclusion that the MG6Pro has a supremely balanced frequency response (a conclusion which, even in the absence of the glowing testimonies, is all the more tempting to arrive at, by virtue of the single, crossover-free, dynamic driver design). And, indeed, some owners may retort to my post that they do consider the MG6Pro to be 'supremely balanced', but I beg to differ.

 

 

 

Again, let me make it perfectly clear that I am not 'bashing' the MG6Pro - it is very effective in fulfilling its intended design brief, and it is a good quality CIEM overall. By comparison with Balanced Armature models, it is also notably robust, both in terms of ability to withstand inappropriate input signals, and in terms of shock resistance (if dropped onto the floor).

 

My only intention in contributing this post is to bring some balance to what has, up 'til now, remained an extraordinarily one-sided thread, so that potential Head-fi customers of the MG6Pro can hopefully make a somewhat more informed decision.

 

Please note that I will absolutely not be drawn into any debate regarding what I've said here. Such debates only ever end up becoming heated and therefore counter-productive. I've said what I've said, and I've said it sincerely, from a non-negative intention/standpoint. If you read my post and interpret it as a negative attack on the MG6Pro or on FS or anyone on their staff, then please take a deep breath, re-read, and realise that that's an inaccurate projection on your part. You do not need to 'counter attack', or 'defend' or whatever, because I'm not 'attacking' anything in the first place.

 

Put simply, if you are a potential customer of the MG6Pro and wish to discuss the specific intricacies of its design brief, then I recommend you contact FS by phone, and get all the details straight from the horses mouth, so-to-speak. As a potential customer, it will benefit both you and FS to discuss such matters prior to placing an order. If, having done so, you decide to go ahead and order the MG6Pro, I hope you enjoy it very much.

 

 

 

As with all CIEMs...

 

 

"Caveat Emptor"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And @ David/Marty (yes, I know you keep an eye on this Head-fi thread), howsabout acknowledging on your website that the MG6Pro has a response specifically tailored for HIGH-SPL stage usage? It wouldn't lose you any of your pro customers and it would reduce hassle and potential disappointment for audiophile-oriented customers, which is in the best interests of both them and you.

 

.

I believe that I have addressed this very issue, if not in this thread, then in my MG5Pro mini-review. I will state up front that I am a professional listener, as a bass player and location recording engineer. Sometimes I rue the day that I decided to take that path because it has changed how I hear things and makes a lot of the listening I do more like work than play. But I digress. I love to work! The MG6Pro is a great in ear monitor for stage use and for certain types of pleasure listening. I have found it to be anything but flat, but it is an excellent tool to get music to sound good to my ear so I can play the heck out of my bass. I also really like the way all of the instruments sit in the mix and the fact that an 8 to 10 hour day of recording is not fatiguing, at least, not because of my ears. However, I decided to check out the MG5Pros. I believe that they do address a lot, if not most, of your concerns about the presentation of the frequency spectrum. I have used many, many headphones and a fair number of in ears, some  of which had custom molded adapters. The Future Sonics are the only ones I have splurged on that are completely custom. My favorite headphones to listen critically on are a toss up between the MG5Pros and the Sennheiser HD600s, both powered by a Metric Halo ULN-8 (a $6000+ interface which is a work of art in its own right). They both simply sound stunning and I can make a mix on them that will translate very well. If I make a mix with the MG6Pros, the low end is not right and it can be hard to second guess where vocals are going to sit, how to eq instruments, etc. With the MG5Pros, it's 90% there. A touch up with ProAc Studio 100 speakers usually provides the last little bits that I need.

 

I also agree that perhaps there's a marketing opportunity not being taken here, but when I spoke to David last, he did say that he found that lot of studio engineers and live engineers were using the MG5Pros. They are a little bit more exciting sounding than the HD600s but not to the point where they are distracting like, say, ATH-M50s or 7506s. They retain some of the fun factors of the MG6Pros (especially in the very low end), but they sound flat enough and with enough phase coherence that you can actually eq instruments in a mix and be reasonably confident that you've made an appropriate choice. I have never used another in ear, including those from Westone, Ultimate Ears, Etymotic,and the MG6Pros, where I had that confidence. I think they are the smoking deal of the Future Sonic line. However, that doesn't diminish in any way the ability to get great sound and satisfaction from the MG6Pro. Where it's the right monitor, nothing does it better.

 

So, obviously, everyone has to do what I did and get both!


Edited by zambiland - 10/28/12 at 3:23am
post #993 of 1119

zambiland, I find your post rather confusing. In at least two places, it seems you wrote MG6Pro but wanted to write MG5Pro.

post #994 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post

zambiland, I find your post rather confusing. In at least two places, it seems you wrote MG6Pro but wanted to write MG5Pro.

Sorry, it was very late after a gig. Plus sleep has been at a premium with my new 4 month old son. Long story short, if you find the MG6Pro to be inadequate due to a less than accurate frequency response, try the MG5Pro. I'm hoping that that basic message got across.

post #995 of 1119

So this is my first post, but for what it's worth I've been reading these forums for a while now. From what I've seen, headphones/earphones/any audio equipment will always have some that love it and some that hate it, and usually this comes down to differences in sound signature preference. What makes it so confusing, though, is the often blurred distinction between sound signature preferences, and the actual technical proficiency of earphones. Which leads to my dilemma.

 

I'm looking for a ciem now, my first custom (although I do have custom musician's earplugs), and the search is difficult. Knowing that this is a large amount of money being spent on something that will have effectively no resale value makes me wary, and I want to make the right choice in ensuring I get something I like. Having said that, I know roughly what my preferences in sound are - I love bass, the feeling of power from a good thumping subwoofer, especially the deep rumble of sub bass; I like clear, rich vocals; and I enjoy a large, well imaged soundstage. To me these are sound signature preferences, and I have come to find what I like after having owned and heard various mid-high tier universals. From reading reviews, I have basically narrowed my search to the MG6pro, UM Merlin, and Aurisonics AS-2. 

 

Comparing them directly is difficult since not many have heard more than one. But by comparisons with other earphones that I have heard, I can get a rough idea of how these particular ciems sound. What seems to be less explored, though, is the technical side of things, because it seems there are so many conflicting ideas of what technically better even means. I myself am not entirely sure how to describe it, other than a 'refinedness' in sound. 

 

So my question to you all is this: From various descriptions, I have a fair idea of the sound signature of the MG6pro, but in terms of a technical standpoint (as nebulous as that term is), how would you say it fares compared to other earphones? I'm interested especially on those who seem to not like it - is the reason for your dislike just because you feel the sound signature is not what you like, or do you consider these phones to actually be technically inferior to others around this price range?

post #996 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by zambiland View Post

Sorry, it was very late after a gig. Plus sleep has been at a premium with my new 4 month old son. Long story short, if you find the MG6Pro to be inadequate due to a less than accurate frequency response, try the MG5Pro. I'm hoping that that basic message got across.

 

You may want to edit your post when your kiddo leaves you enough time and energy for that. For instance, when you write:

 

"If I make a mix with the MG6Pros, the low end is not right and it can be hard to second guess where vocals are going to sit, how to eq instruments, etc. With the MG6Pros, it's 90% there."

 

Isn't the second "MG6Pro" supposed to be an "MG5Pro"?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezen View Post

So my question to you all is this: From various descriptions, I have a fair idea of the sound signature of the MG6pro, but in terms of a technical standpoint (as nebulous as that term is), how would you say it fares compared to other earphones? I'm interested especially on those who seem to not like it - is the reason for your dislike just because you feel the sound signature is not what you like, or do you consider these phones to actually be technically inferior to others around this price range?

 

Disclaimer: I don't have the MG6Pro.

 

With that said, Future Sonics is one of the "big players" out there; I doubt they've managed to keep in business for so long by producing technically inferior CIEMs, even though it doesn't mean the MG6Pro is the right choice for you. Now, it can be argued that hybrid CIEMs are, by their very nature, technically more advanced; but are they better? The jury is still out on that one. Personally, I'd be curious to read more about the AS-2, the 1plus2, and the TS853.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

The standard recommendation for potential MG6Pro customers to listen to the MG7-driver Atrios is misleading, in my view, since the MG7 driver's frequency response is not tailored the same as the MG6Pro..

 

To my ear, the MG7 is surprisingly flat throughout the whole audible range (except for the fact that I can't hear 16 kHz with it, which I can do with other IEMs). How do you hear it yourself? That would give me a reference to understand how you hear the MG6Pro, since I've been curious about this CIEM too.


Edited by Sinocelt - 10/27/12 at 10:20pm
post #997 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post

zambiland, I find your post rather confusing. In at least two places, it seems you wrote MG6Pro but wanted to write MG5Pro.

I hope that's a little clearer. I wish that 4:30 in the morning after coming home from a gig wasn't the only time I had to be able to check in here, but there it is. I'm not sure where you thought the second mix-up is. I think my references are all correct now.

post #998 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by zambiland View Post

I'm not sure where you thought the second mix-up is. 

 

Can't find it now.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by zambiland View Post

I think my references are all correct now.

 

Thank you for your feedback! (... and please, get some sleep, I want no part in your untimely death!)

post #999 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezen View Post

So my question to you all is this: From various descriptions, I have a fair idea of the sound signature of the MG6pro, but in terms of a technical standpoint (as nebulous as that term is), how would you say it fares compared to other earphones? I'm interested especially on those who seem to not like it - is the reason for your dislike just because you feel the sound signature is not what you like, or do you consider these phones to actually be technically inferior to others around this price range?

You may find my Merlin and MG6pro reviews of some help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596839/review-um-merlin-fs-mg6pro-akg-k3003-future-additions-fitear-tg-334-aurisonics-as-2

The Merlin is post 1 and the MG6pro in post 2. I've also heard the Aurisonics AS-2 prototype and may have posted a few thought throughout the thread; I can't remember now. I have one on order though and will hopefully have it soon. From my brief time with the AS-2 prototype, it is the most impressive of the 3, especially in treble extension.
post #1000 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezen View Post

Knowing that this is a large amount of money being spent on something that will have effectively no resale value makes me wary, and I want to make the right choice in ensuring I get something I like.

 

If the lack of resale on a blind purchase is a significant factor, have you considered getting custom silicone sleeves?  Future Sonics has the Softerwear sleeves (which are very nice), Westone has the UM-56 and I am sure there are several others.  The offerings from FS and Westone would basically let you experience any phone that is Comply 100 series compatible at its theoretically highest potential (i.e., best seal).  And while it is certainly true that the MG6Pro is a different beast than the MG7, they both have the Future Sonics "house sound" and, to my ears, the MG6Pro is basically slightly more refined than a Softerwear Sleeved MG7 with a little heavier bottom end.  The silicone sleeve would allow you to get most of the way there sound-wise with a much smaller up front investment and may satisfy you completely (in theory anyway).  If you find that you need that last bit of refinement/bass end, you can sell or return the MG7 and move up to the MG6Pro down the road. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezen View Post

So my question to you all is this: From various descriptions, I have a fair idea of the sound signature of the MG6pro, but in terms of a technical standpoint (as nebulous as that term is), how would you say it fares compared to other earphones? I'm interested especially on those who seem to not like it - is the reason for your dislike just because you feel the sound signature is not what you like, or do you consider these phones to actually be technically inferior to others around this price range?

 

I am not quite the targeted audience for your question, as I like my MG6Pros, but they are not perfect and I wouldn't necessarily recommend them to anyone sight unseen, or sound unheard in this case.  As with everything else, it depends on the context: what do you listen to and how do you like your sound?  Regarding their technical abilities, they are not as detailed nor as extended through the upper range as the Westone ES5; nor can they really compete (to my ears) with the vocal presentation of the ES5.  They do have a tremendous bottom end, which is usually very nice, but can occasionally make certain music muddy/too dark.  I have found that this is mostly the case with poorly mastered music and/or music that has had its bottom end already significantly boosted (I'm looking at you, Devin Townsend), which is apparently a thing these days - music being engineered with the shortcomings of portable players/lossy codecs in mind.  Outside of that, they sound very good to me - tonality/decay are within what I would consider a natural range and soundstage is as good as you can expect with a ciem.

post #1001 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post


You may find my Merlin and MG6pro reviews of some help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596839/review-um-merlin-fs-mg6pro-akg-k3003-future-additions-fitear-tg-334-aurisonics-as-2
The Merlin is post 1 and the MG6pro in post 2. I've also heard the Aurisonics AS-2 prototype and may have posted a few thought throughout the thread; I can't remember now. I have one on order though and will hopefully have it soon. From my brief time with the AS-2 prototype, it is the most impressive of the 3, especially in treble extension.

 

I have read your reviews, and honestly it might be the greatest reason why I have yet to purchase the MG6pro. Well written and articulate reviews are always the most convincing.

 

After you EQ the MG6pro, how would you say it compares to the Merlin in technical ability? Also, from the impressions you've written, you said the Merlin has 'tighter' bass than the MG6pro, and the AS-2 'tighter still'. I wonder how does this affect the impact and rumble of the bass? 

 

In terms of that echoey harshness effect, are you able to replicate that sound by EQing up those frequencies in other earphones?

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffarm13 View Post

 

If the lack of resale on a blind purchase is a significant factor, have you considered getting custom silicone sleeves?  Future Sonics has the Softerwear sleeves (which are very nice), Westone has the UM-56 and I am sure there are several others.  The offerings from FS and Westone would basically let you experience any phone that is Comply 100 series compatible at its theoretically highest potential (i.e., best seal).  And while it is certainly true that the MG6Pro is a different beast than the MG7, they both have the Future Sonics "house sound" and, to my ears, the MG6Pro is basically slightly more refined than a Softerwear Sleeved MG7 with a little heavier bottom end.  The silicone sleeve would allow you to get most of the way there sound-wise with a much smaller up front investment and may satisfy you completely (in theory anyway).  If you find that you need that last bit of refinement/bass end, you can sell or return the MG7 and move up to the MG6Pro down the road. 

 

I am not quite the targeted audience for your question, as I like my MG6Pros, but they are not perfect and I wouldn't necessarily recommend them to anyone sight unseen, or sound unheard in this case.  As with everything else, it depends on the context: what do you listen to and how do you like your sound?  Regarding their technical abilities, they are not as detailed nor as extended through the upper range as the Westone ES5; nor can they really compete (to my ears) with the vocal presentation of the ES5.  They do have a tremendous bottom end, which is usually very nice, but can occasionally make certain music muddy/too dark.  I have found that this is mostly the case with poorly mastered music and/or music that has had its bottom end already significantly boosted (I'm looking at you, Devin Townsend), which is apparently a thing these days - music being engineered with the shortcomings of portable players/lossy codecs in mind.  Outside of that, they sound very good to me - tonality/decay are within what I would consider a natural range and soundstage is as good as you can expect with a ciem.

 

 
I'm not too worried about the lack of resale factor in terms of money, it's more the fact that I want to make sure I get something I like (don't we all?). I'm pretty set on getting some customs, I've gone through enough universals to know that I want to go a step up. And no, I didn't mean to say I don't want to hear the opinion of those who do like them, I'm still very interested in that so thank you for writing yours.
 
I am (perhaps unfortunately) an incurable basshead, and one thing I have noticed on this forum (not targeting you in particular) is a tendency for 'bass-light' to be 'neutral' which i personally don't agree with. As a result, earphones often touted as having 'enough bass' and 'natural bass' have often left me disappointed, sounding rather bass deficient. For reference, in terms of sheer bass impact, I like to use my GR07 with some 7-9db boost in bass from 100hz down (roughly), and similar boosts to the tf10 and fxt90. EQ is generally not preferable for me though, because it's much more inconvenient, and I find straight out EQing bass and nothing else ruins the sound of these earphones. For other comparisons, the HJE900 and IE8 have good levels of midbass impact for me, but lack the depth and rumble of sub bass. The Atrio MG7 is the only iem I have ever been truly wowed by in terms of bass, but I found it a bit lacking in terms of other frequencies, as well as soundstage. This is what led me to consider the MG6pro in the first place.
 
In terms of the rest of my sound preferences, I like somewhat forward mids, and as detailed and lifelike as possible. For me, my full-size HE500 are pretty spot on in this regard. In fact, the HE500 overall is very close to a perfect sound for me, if it were boosted in bass by a few db. They also have a sufficiently airy and out-of-head soundstage for my liking, not quite as expansive as the AD700, but wide enough. However, I find myself using IEMs far more mostly because of the convenience factor, which is why I am looking for a CIEM.
 
Given that I would have one custom, as opposed to multiple universals, I don't want a custom that I like JUST for its 'fun' factor, but isn't able to deliver in detail when I want to do some critical listening. If I were to buy a custom based on bass alone, I have no doubt I'd get the MG6pro. However, from what others have said, it may not be as capable as some others in other frequencies, and that worries me. Further comparisons and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
post #1002 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezen View Post

 

No worries.  I don't feel particularly targeted.  But, dang, +7 to 9 db on the bottom end of the GR07?basshead.gif 

 

I, too, enjoy the HE500 very much, but don't feel the need for a bass boost with it (usually).  Unfortunately, I am on the road as much as I am at home so I tend to gravitate toward iems.  I haven't listened to my HE500 for a couple weeks, and they are at home so this is from memory, but I don't think you are going to find an iem (custom or universal) that is as airy and outside-the-head.  If you do, let me know (and if this is something you already know or have concluded from your own experience, please disregard - I do not intend to condescend).  The closest I can remember getting, at least on the airy part, was the Grado GR10, which I had for an extended audition.  It was, however, a little light on the bass side for me and I had some fitment issues.  

 

With respect to the MG6Pro, I would not characterize the mids/vocals as forward - that distinction goes to my ES5 (and, man, are they spectacular).  This is an oversimplification, but (to me) the MG6Pros, on a normal frequency response graph would be at their highest in the bass/sub-bass and would gradually descend as the frequencies progressed, with the vocal part of the midrange being about where it should (give or take) and moving on to a somewhat recessed treble up top. (Again, this oversimplifies it, as there are, for example, a couple peaks that Shotgunshane mentions in his review).

 

The MG6Pro does do a good job with detail, but you kind of have to work at it/get acclimated to it because the energy on the phones comes from the bottom instead of the top, which has not been the norm in my experience with most detail-oriented phones.  Even then, it is not what I would consider hyper-detailed (which may just be me).  It is certainly not going to give you a false sense of detail by painting treble into a song where it does not exist.  I do think everything sounds pretty true-to-life as a general rule, and the way a solo piano sounds is just excellent.  I left by MG7 at home for this trip (I already get enough hassle from the fine folks at the TSA with 3-4 iems and an amplifier), and it has been a long while since I listened to it with non-custom tips, but going from non-custom tips to the Softerwear Sleeves increased the soundstage and the overall quality of the presentation.  The MG6Pros are a significant step up from the Softerwear MG7s across the board (soundstage, imaging, tonality, etc.).  Sorry the comparison is only indirect and from memory - if you had asked last week, I would have been able to do a direct A/B.  If you are still pondering things next week, I should be in a better position to do the direct comparison if you are interested.

post #1003 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffarm13 View Post

 

 What can I say, I like my bass! L3000.gif

 

I'm a classically trained pianist, and have played regularly on many full-sized concert grands (Steinway, Yamaha, Bosendorfer, Bechstein), so the tone of piano is something I know well and hold close to heart. I think it's an instrument that is very rarely done justice when recorded, and even less so when listened through earphones. I actually feel the need for that 9db boost in bass even on the gr07 to get a piano to sound anywhere close to realistic. I'm also a casual bassist, which I mostly got into because I love the sound of bass, and the rumble of a nice big amp is fantastic feeling, and that feeling of power is something I'd love to get close to in a ciem.

 

The majority of my listening is EDM (mostly trance) and classical (especially Romantic symphonies, piano concertos and the like). The rest is a mixture of rock/pop/jazz/rnb/hiphop basically everything - I like to listen to bits of everything really. 

 

If you could do an A/B between the MG6pro and HE500, that would be great. I've come to accept that it's highly unlikely to get a ciem that can match it in soundstage, simply by nature of fullsize vs iem. Similarly, it might be difficult to compare in the sense of overall 'feeling' I guess. But if you could compare the two in terms of detail retrieval, bass (both quantity and quality) and overall sound signatures, that would be greatly appreciated. I don't think I would really consider the ES5, simply because I don't think it would have enough bass for my liking.

post #1004 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezen View Post

 What can I say, I like my bass! L3000.gif

 

I'm a classically trained pianist, and have played regularly on many full-sized concert grands (Steinway, Yamaha, Bosendorfer, Bechstein), so the tone of piano is something I know well and hold close to heart. I think it's an instrument that is very rarely done justice when recorded, and even less so when listened through earphones. I actually feel the need for that 9db boost in bass even on the gr07 to get a piano to sound anywhere close to realistic. I'm also a casual bassist, which I mostly got into because I love the sound of bass, and the rumble of a nice big amp is fantastic feeling, and that feeling of power is something I'd love to get close to in a ciem.

 

The majority of my listening is EDM (mostly trance) and classical (especially Romantic symphonies, piano concertos and the like). The rest is a mixture of rock/pop/jazz/rnb/hiphop basically everything - I like to listen to bits of everything really. 

 

If you could do an A/B between the MG6pro and HE500, that would be great. I've come to accept that it's highly unlikely to get a ciem that can match it in soundstage, simply by nature of fullsize vs iem. Similarly, it might be difficult to compare in the sense of overall 'feeling' I guess. But if you could compare the two in terms of detail retrieval, bass (both quantity and quality) and overall sound signatures, that would be greatly appreciated. I don't think I would really consider the ES5, simply because I don't think it would have enough bass for my liking.

Don't write off the MG5Pros. As I've stated before, I think that if you are looking for the slam of the MG6Pros and the balanced spectrum of other iems, they are worth considering. Despite the lower price, I don't think they are less than.

post #1005 of 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezen View Post

 What can I say, I like my bass! L3000.gif

I'm a classically trained pianist, and have played regularly on many full-sized concert grands (Steinway, Yamaha, Bosendorfer, Bechstein), so the tone of piano is something I know well and hold close to heart. I think it's an instrument that is very rarely done justice when recorded, and even less so when listened through earphones. I actually feel the need for that 9db boost in bass even on the gr07 to get a piano to sound anywhere close to realistic. I'm also a casual bassist, which I mostly got into because I love the sound of bass, and the rumble of a nice big amp is fantastic feeling, and that feeling of power is something I'd love to get close to in a ciem.

The majority of my listening is EDM (mostly trance) and classical (especially Romantic symphonies, piano concertos and the like). The rest is a mixture of rock/pop/jazz/rnb/hiphop basically everything - I like to listen to bits of everything really. 

If you could do an A/B between the MG6pro and HE500, that would be great. I've come to accept that it's highly unlikely to get a ciem that can match it in soundstage, simply by nature of fullsize vs iem. Similarly, it might be difficult to compare in the sense of overall 'feeling' I guess. But if you could compare the two in terms of detail retrieval, bass (both quantity and quality) and overall sound signatures, that would be greatly appreciated. I don't think I would really consider the ES5, simply because I don't think it would have enough bass for my liking.

I'd be more than happy to, it will be about a week though as I'm stuck in the Deep South of the U.S. for another week before I get to head home. I'll make a note so I don't forget. It should be interesting. I don't spend a lot of time doing critical comparisons - I tend to get lost with whatever is on my head or in my ears unless something really sticks out as off kilter. I'm mostly a rock/jazz guy but I have at least a little of a lot of kinds of music.

For a multi-BA, the ES5 is a surprise. It outperforms most dynamics across the board, including bass. However, the MG6Pros are not most dynamics and the bass difference is substantial. If you could find a universal demo you might be surprised. No single one of the Westone universals work to give you a good picture, though.

Interesting about the bass. I played for about 10 or 12 years. Lots of fun. Despite coming from a long line of pianists on my mother's side, I never did any more than plink on it. Probably a rebel without a clue thing. I've always loved the sound of it though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors