Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes - Page 167

post #2491 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post

I wonder why there seems to be no love for Pure Music here. I started with Bitperfect and tried the PM free trial about 3 years ago, loved it for it's SQ and ability to download and play flac files on my iMac. It has been trouble free on my Mac and worked just fine with several dacs (currently Woo WA7). It uses itunes library which is another plus for accessing your music. I would recommend it for mac.
I also started with Bitperfect, it just works without any of the other bells and whistles that the other better reviewed music players have.
post #2492 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bixby View Post

Wait a minute. Are you suggesting Tidal will play all my files on my hard drive and sound almost as good as A+?

And would you rec the stand alone Tidal app or using the browser?


No Tidal is only for the Tidal music streaming service, however Tidal streams lossless CD quality files.

post #2493 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcans View Post

Just sat down to listen to some music and was advised that a new version of Audirvana+ 2.0.6 was available.


Seems to have fixed the duplicate files issue and sync issues I was having with 2.05

post #2494 of 3402

Does anyone have A+ 2.0.6 kinda just hang on you? It plays for awhile (admittedly not seen how many minutes or how many tracks) then it stops with an application not responding - i.e. app hung.

post #2495 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

Does anyone have A+ 2.0.6 kinda just hang on you? It plays for awhile (admittedly not seen how many minutes or how many tracks) then it stops with an application not responding - i.e. app hung.

 

Using 2.06 don't have the issues you describe, is it trying to sync when it hangs?

post #2496 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by isquirrel View Post


Seems to have fixed the duplicate files issue and sync issues I was having with 2.05
PTL!
post #2497 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstac View Post
 

Hey guys. So many pages. I'm just wondering if perhaps any of you could throw out a few of the most popular players. Is there any one or two that are standouts? Maybe one that can be used it both Mac and Windows? Probably to much to ask. I used MediaMonkey after I was so sick of iTunes that I just had to rebel. I bought a lifetime license but the more I used it, the more I began to not like it. I have since began using my Mac more but I still use both regularly. If I had to pick one though, it would have to be Mac. I use Windows for work and gaming and Mac for everything else. I have been using iTunes though ever since I started with Mac because I wasn't aware of any alternatives. Now I'm starting to get a little bit more serious about my music and looking for a better alternative. Suggestions welcomed.

 

From my own personal experience, when I switched to a Mac a little over a year ago I tried a good portion of the available music players. The only ones to sound significantly better to me were Audirvana Plus and Amarra. My personal preference for sound went to Amarra but its lack of gapless on FLAC files turned me off and, at the time, it was priced significantly more than A+ so I went with A+.

 

I used Foobar on PC for years (if I remember correctly, I was the first to talk about Foobar on these forums) but I ended up switching to JRiver because I preferred the interface and in comparisons I wasn't sure I could detect much, if any difference between the two. I had been hopeful that the Mac version would be as good or better than the other Mac based players but both A+ and Amarra offered significant improvements in sound to my ears.

 

I only use A+ in standalone mode so when I saw the announcement of version 2 with the library integration I was pretty excited because it seemed like it would be closer to working like JRiver. Alas, when I finally tried the trial I wasn't terrible impressed with how it worked, it just felt kludgy and awkward and then there were reports of all kinds of bugs so I decided to stick with version 1.5.12 for the time being.

 

At the same time as trying A+ 2.0 I decided to try Amarra 3 because the price has come down and I was curious to see if they solved the gapless issues. They haven't but I have to admit the gapless issues with FLAC are better, almost unnoticeable now and I again was reminded that I prefer the sound of Amarra to the version of A+ I've been using. A couple or weeks ago A+ started giving me some grief so on a spur of the moment decision I bought Amarra 3 on one of their deals. I haven't used A+ since other than to briefly compare the sound again and confirm that I prefer the sound of Amarra 3.

post #2498 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by isquirrel View Post
 

 

Using 2.06 don't have the issues you describe, is it trying to sync when it hangs?

 

I'll play around with it a little more. See if I can dig into the crash reporter. Cheers.

post #2499 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post
 

 

From my own personal experience, when I switched to a Mac a little over a year ago I tried a good portion of the available music players. The only ones to sound significantly better to me were Audirvana Plus and Amarra. My personal preference for sound went to Amarra but its lack of gapless on FLAC files turned me off and, at the time, it was priced significantly more than A+ so I went with A+.

 

I used Foobar on PC for years (if I remember correctly, I was the first to talk about Foobar on these forums) but I ended up switching to JRiver because I preferred the interface and in comparisons I wasn't sure I could detect much, if any difference between the two. I had been hopeful that the Mac version would be as good or better than the other Mac based players but both A+ and Amarra offered significant improvements in sound to my ears.

 

I only use A+ in standalone mode so when I saw the announcement of version 2 with the library integration I was pretty excited because it seemed like it would be closer to working like JRiver. Alas, when I finally tried the trial I wasn't terrible impressed with how it worked, it just felt kludgy and awkward and then there were reports of all kinds of bugs so I decided to stick with version 1.5.12 for the time being.

 

At the same time as trying A+ 2.0 I decided to try Amarra 3 because the price has come down and I was curious to see if they solved the gapless issues. They haven't but I have to admit the gapless issues with FLAC are better, almost unnoticeable now and I again was reminded that I prefer the sound of Amarra to the version of A+ I've been using. A couple or weeks ago A+ started giving me some grief so on a spur of the moment decision I bought Amarra 3 on one of their deals. I haven't used A+ since other than to briefly compare the sound again and confirm that I prefer the sound of Amarra 3.


What did you like/prefer about the sound of Amarra 3?

post #2500 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

Does anyone have A+ 2.0.6 kinda just hang on you? It plays for awhile (admittedly not seen how many minutes or how many tracks) then it stops with an application not responding - i.e. app hung.


Funny, when I read your post, maybe an hour ago, I hadn't had that problem. Just did. In my case, I let it "spin" while I searched for your post. During that time, I'd clicked next, but nothing happening. Suddenly, it started playing, some 3 minutes into what I'd guess was the "next" song.

post #2501 of 3402

A couple songs later, "locked up" again. Restarted and it picked up at that song, but then wouldn't go to the next song. Shut down app again and restarted, selected song manually and it played, then shuffle didn't work even though shuffle is selected. Man....

post #2502 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post
 

 

From my own personal experience, when I switched to a Mac a little over a year ago I tried a good portion of the available music players. The only ones to sound significantly better to me were Audirvana Plus and Amarra. My personal preference for sound went to Amarra but its lack of gapless on FLAC files turned me off and, at the time, it was priced significantly more than A+ so I went with A+.

 

I used Foobar on PC for years (if I remember correctly, I was the first to talk about Foobar on these forums) but I ended up switching to JRiver because I preferred the interface and in comparisons I wasn't sure I could detect much, if any difference between the two. I had been hopeful that the Mac version would be as good or better than the other Mac based players but both A+ and Amarra offered significant improvements in sound to my ears.

 

I only use A+ in standalone mode so when I saw the announcement of version 2 with the library integration I was pretty excited because it seemed like it would be closer to working like JRiver. Alas, when I finally tried the trial I wasn't terrible impressed with how it worked, it just felt kludgy and awkward and then there were reports of all kinds of bugs so I decided to stick with version 1.5.12 for the time being.

 

At the same time as trying A+ 2.0 I decided to try Amarra 3 because the price has come down and I was curious to see if they solved the gapless issues. They haven't but I have to admit the gapless issues with FLAC are better, almost unnoticeable now and I again was reminded that I prefer the sound of Amarra to the version of A+ I've been using. A couple or weeks ago A+ started giving me some grief so on a spur of the moment decision I bought Amarra 3 on one of their deals. I haven't used A+ since other than to briefly compare the sound again and confirm that I prefer the sound of Amarra 3.


Did you ever try the latest version of Decibel ? Is the reason you like Amarra because it sounds more natural to you over A+ ?

post #2503 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdManOfCT View Post
 


What did you like/prefer about the sound of Amarra 3?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohb View Post
 


Did you ever try the latest version of Decibel ? Is the reason you like Amarra because it sounds more natural to you over A+ ?

 

 

I haven't tried the latest version of Decibel but it was part of the comparisons I made about a year ago. I don't remember the specifics but I do remember that I didn't find it much different in sound quality to Vox. Do you feel it's made significant improvements over the last year?

 

It's been a year since I did my more in-depth comparison and I haven't had time to do any serious comparisons but yes, Amarra sounding more natural would be the easiest way to put it. In a quick comparison to A+, I thought A+ sounded more forward, thinner and harder. There's was a bit more edge to the music.

post #2504 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post
I thought A+ sounded more forward, thinner and harder. There's was a bit more edge to the music.

New to Decibel, so cannot compare old one but I agree on A+ assessment with 1.5.12 anyway. A bit too analytical/cold sounding.


Edited by Lohb - 11/24/14 at 3:31pm
post #2505 of 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post


I haven't tried the latest version of Decibel but it was part of the comparisons I made about a year ago. I don't remember the specifics but I do remember that I didn't find it much different in sound quality to Vox. Do you feel it's made significant improvements over the last year?

It's been a year since I did my more in-depth comparison and I haven't had time to do any serious comparisons but yes, Amarra sounding more natural would be the easiest way to put it. In a quick comparison to A+, I thought A+ sounded more forward, thinner and harder. There's was a bit more edge to the music.

+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes