C'est quoi un Canuck?
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 4/25/11
Related Forum Threads
- How can I listen to High Res above 96hz Last post on 8/22/13 at 12:25pm in Computer Audio
- Cannot install foobar Last post on 4/1/13 at 2:59pm in Computer Audio
- MQn minimalist Wasapi WAV C++ memory player integrated with foobar2000 Last post on 9/24/13 at 8:02pm in Computer Audio
- Need help removing mic hiss Last post on 3/30/13 at 9:44am in Computer Audio
- iTunes 11 columns? Last post on 2/14/15 at 10:50pm in Computer Audio
-Introduction- It’s not often I have the chance to review products as high-end as the ZMF x Vibro MK II. I approached Zach in July, and asked for a loaner unit. One wasn’t readily available...
Firstly, many thanks to iFi for the loan of this amp. I am not affiliated with iFi, just a regular Head-Fi addict to happens to be lucky enough to get loan units now and again from the generous iFi...
The Grado SR80i presents everything very nicely, almost romantic, you can hear everything, until you start comparing. Its not the most detailed, however it is very transparent. Its soundstage is...
Acknowledgment Thanks Arcam of Cambridge for including me in the UK tour in exchange for my honest opinion.IntroductionThe more I look at the audio industry, the more amazed I am at the number of...
Cayin iDac-6 and iHA-6 A story of a beautiful duo and my honeymoon with them Prequel Let me rewind just a tad before we begin. I am one of many who interminably chase the...
Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes - Page 114
Please try again!
Something has gone wrong! Please refresh the page or try again later.
Tech support has been notified of the problem.
Error: 503 Service Unavailable
Another bonus; for those that prefer FLAC, XLD has two useful encoding adjustments, the chief one being “compression level” or how hard it works to compress the data. I’ve run some tests and found that the file size difference between max and min settings is relatively small so, I used to (these days, I prefer ALAC for several reasons) encode with the minimum compression setting to reduce CPU utilization during playback.
Hi all -- I hope you'll forgive this minor advertisement. Nasturtium Player is a new music app for Mac that integrates with both iTunes and YouTube. I will be the first to admit that it is not targeted towards audiophiles -- the backend is simply QuickTime -- but it does intend to be the player for those who would simply like to choose some music and get back to work.
Here's a few promo codes for download Nasturtium from the Mac App Store:
Otherwise, you can find it here:
Does anyone use Audirvana Plus with a Retina MacBook Pro?
When I have the volume control mouse control axis set to "rotate" (as opposed to horizontal or vertical), rotating the knob hardly changes the volume (i.e. -∞ dB to -39 dB when I try to rotate the knob).
No retina here, but I know what you mean.
Try setting it to horizontal or vertical, go out of prefs and then get back in and set it to rotate again.
That did the trick for me.
Hm that didn't work for me. I have it on vertical by default.
I tried moving Audrivana to a different part of the screen so I can "rotate" it more. It rotates reaaaaally slowly at first, then rotates really quickly later on. On my older MacBook, the rotate feature works just fine.
Edited by miceblue - 1/11/13 at 9:13pm
For me Audirvana Plus is the best. It has some kind of sweetness in the treble that no other player can (min. for my ears) This is easily detectable with classical music, furthermore with violins.
What are your impressions about it folks ?
Second your impression on Audirvana Plus. Not only it sounds more natural (particularly when compared with Amarra / Amarra HiFi) , the layering, imaging and sound stage are excellent as you can sense the location/tone of individual instrument in an orchestra. Further more with direct play and integer mode turned on, unnecessary software layers (for various audio effects and sample rate conversion) such as Apple Core Audio are bypassed all together, thus settings in Apple MIDI Setup utility do not have any effect on Audirvana Plus. For pure music appreciation by audiophiles, any additional audio processing has adverse effect on sound quality.
Audirvana Plus requires certain amount of memory (buffer size is adjustable) for track preload and processing, scheme for sample rate conversion is adjustable as well (according to capability of your external DAC). It doe not modify any setting in Apple MIDI Setup at all (see above), thus no audio setting should be affected once Audirvana Plus application has been quit (does not matter it ran in hog mod / direct play / integer mode). So if you never set these parameters properly according to your Mac and DAC hardwares and the application keep crashing and audio system never work properly for other applications, then blame yourself instead of the application. With Audirvana Plus, crappy software such as iTunes and all unnecessary software layers can be bypassed completely, thus it should be more stable than Amarra HiFi and Pure Music and even standalone Amarra.
By the way we are talking about paid commercial software Audirvana Plus but not free open source software Audirvana. The free version has some critical components (particularly good sample rate converter) missing.
- Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 3 minutes ago
- › Active Bookshelf Speakers? 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 6 minutes ago
- › ATH M50 Mod Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Almost like new iPad Pro 256 gb 7 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 9 minutes ago
- › Headphones for Electronic Music - HD650s? 9 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 10 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › ZMF Headphones x Vibro MK II by Cinder
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Turrican2
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Bloos
- › Arcam rHead - Discrete True-linear Class-A Analogue Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Cayin iHA-6 by Dillan
- › Cayin iDAC-6 by Dillan
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by harry501501
- › TY Hi-Z 32ohm HiFi Earbuds Earphone by Himpedance
- › RHA MA750i by meetpatel3686
- › ORIVETI PRIMACY - Whole Aluminium Body, Triple Drivers Hybrid 2... by ustinj
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...