C'est quoi un Canuck?
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 4/25/11
Related Forum Threads
- How can I listen to High Res above 96hz Last post on 8/22/13 at 12:25pm in Computer Audio
- Cannot install foobar Last post on 4/1/13 at 2:59pm in Computer Audio
- MQn minimalist Wasapi WAV C++ memory player integrated with foobar2000 Last post on 9/24/13 at 8:02pm in Computer Audio
- Need help removing mic hiss Last post on 3/30/13 at 9:44am in Computer Audio
- iTunes 11 columns? Last post on 2/14/15 at 10:50pm in Computer Audio
I am believer in positive effects of a good cable and I like to try different aftermarket cables to see what sonic changes can be. I have contacted with Null Audio while I was looking for a new...
Introduction: One of my favorite parts of this hobby that I've grown to love over the past few years is trying new things and just experiencing how different components (or combination of...
I have to say I was very impressed with this little beauty. For my 63 yr. young ears after being subjected to some of the most ferocious live hard rock and heavy metal it really does justice to...
Setup I got my pair on sale for $150 USD. I have had a few lower end AKG headphones and have never been disappointed with the value and sound signature they offered. It's been a long time...
This is my first review. Honestly I am quite new to head-fi although I have tried and bought and sold a lot of headphones and earphones lately. I bought a pair of MA750 a week ago for 108USD in...
Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes - Page 114
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Another bonus; for those that prefer FLAC, XLD has two useful encoding adjustments, the chief one being “compression level” or how hard it works to compress the data. I’ve run some tests and found that the file size difference between max and min settings is relatively small so, I used to (these days, I prefer ALAC for several reasons) encode with the minimum compression setting to reduce CPU utilization during playback.
Hi all -- I hope you'll forgive this minor advertisement. Nasturtium Player is a new music app for Mac that integrates with both iTunes and YouTube. I will be the first to admit that it is not targeted towards audiophiles -- the backend is simply QuickTime -- but it does intend to be the player for those who would simply like to choose some music and get back to work.
Here's a few promo codes for download Nasturtium from the Mac App Store:
Otherwise, you can find it here:
Does anyone use Audirvana Plus with a Retina MacBook Pro?
When I have the volume control mouse control axis set to "rotate" (as opposed to horizontal or vertical), rotating the knob hardly changes the volume (i.e. -∞ dB to -39 dB when I try to rotate the knob).
Hm that didn't work for me. I have it on vertical by default.
I tried moving Audrivana to a different part of the screen so I can "rotate" it more. It rotates reaaaaally slowly at first, then rotates really quickly later on. On my older MacBook, the rotate feature works just fine.
Edited by miceblue - 1/11/13 at 9:13pm
For me Audirvana Plus is the best. It has some kind of sweetness in the treble that no other player can (min. for my ears) This is easily detectable with classical music, furthermore with violins.
What are your impressions about it folks ?
Second your impression on Audirvana Plus. Not only it sounds more natural (particularly when compared with Amarra / Amarra HiFi) , the layering, imaging and sound stage are excellent as you can sense the location/tone of individual instrument in an orchestra. Further more with direct play and integer mode turned on, unnecessary software layers (for various audio effects and sample rate conversion) such as Apple Core Audio are bypassed all together, thus settings in Apple MIDI Setup utility do not have any effect on Audirvana Plus. For pure music appreciation by audiophiles, any additional audio processing has adverse effect on sound quality.
Audirvana Plus requires certain amount of memory (buffer size is adjustable) for track preload and processing, scheme for sample rate conversion is adjustable as well (according to capability of your external DAC). It doe not modify any setting in Apple MIDI Setup at all (see above), thus no audio setting should be affected once Audirvana Plus application has been quit (does not matter it ran in hog mod / direct play / integer mode). So if you never set these parameters properly according to your Mac and DAC hardwares and the application keep crashing and audio system never work properly for other applications, then blame yourself instead of the application. With Audirvana Plus, crappy software such as iTunes and all unnecessary software layers can be bypassed completely, thus it should be more stable than Amarra HiFi and Pure Music and even standalone Amarra.
By the way we are talking about paid commercial software Audirvana Plus but not free open source software Audirvana. The free version has some critical components (particularly good sample rate converter) missing.
- Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 28 seconds ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 53 seconds ago
- › FS RWAK100 w/Free Shipping in the USA 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!) 4 minutes ago
- › Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review 5 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . Lurker0 FW Mod... 5 minutes ago
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by xevman
- › Trinity - Techne Dynamic IEM by mark2410
- › Ubsound Fighter in-ear monitor with universal inline microphone and... by acain
- › T-Peos Altone250 by Cotnijoe
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2