They blow W4's away man.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Phonak Audeo + Cowon E2 or Nationite N2? (metal music) Last post on 4/20/11 at 2:59am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for heavy metal under 500 dollars? Last post on 9/26/14 at 2:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- D5000 equivalent IEMs Last post on 11/7/12 at 5:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- I require fun, fun, FUN! Last post on 10/12/12 at 7:38pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
The ATH-m50 is my first ever headphone, not including the $2 ear-buds of course. Before the m50, I was just listening to ear-buds and didn't have much affection for music reproduction. However,...
I love these. I have BeatsPro, Monster Inspiration and these blow them away! They are super comfortable and I can hear the nuances of all sounds.
These are my go-to set of headphones and I could have them on for 4-5h without fatigue or discomfort. I love the sound signature but understand it's not for everyone. Highs: Clean, detailed,...
Having a V-Moda Crossfade LP2 for a while now and very impressed with its sound quality and comfort as closed-back headphones, I was looking for a set of open-backs for certain genres of music that...
As a budget closed-back set of headphones, I think they are not bad. The treble is rolled off quite a bit, which is not great in regard to clarity, but good in reducing fatigue on long sessions....
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232 - Page 55
Gear mentioned in this thread:
how about the 232's in comparison with the 4.ai's? Similarly priced for those of us in the U.S. taking advantage of earphone solutions sales...
I'd also like to note these sound nice at low listening volumes (my initial concern, along with fatigue).
There is still a bit of sparkle when I get down to focus studying volumes.
I will do this when I get my 4.Ai... Wait until at least the end of the week. I'll be playing with the 4.Ai on Tuesday when I open the box (it should be delivered Monday afternoon).
I went with the 4Ai's because I didn't like the cable on the 232's. But sound wise...the 232's are pretty difficult to beat. The 4Ai's...to my ears...are right in the middle between the W4's and the 232's in sound.
I don't have that kind of will power! LOL When something like that show's up...I'm all over it! LOL
Well, you'll find it at some point ;) I'll also do comparisons to the W4, 3.Ai, UE 900, Ultrasone IQ... List goes on ;)
The PFE232 and 4A.i are two very different animals. I sold the 4A.i as the 232 was just more musical and enjoyable. The 4A.i is a showstopper but I felt it was trying too hard to impress and don't let you relax and enjoy the music. The soundstage was very wide but very 2D with little depth while the 232 is very holographic with great centre image. The PFE is also a lot smaller, lighter and more comfortable, you just forget you are wearing it after a while.
The more I listen to my newly acquired PFE232 on my Clip+, the more I find it to be slightly more fatiguing (highs) than I am comfortable with. If I had to predict, I think the PFE232 will be in the FS section shortly after I get my Studio-V DAP (my primary DAP which has a slight bright-sound leaning) back from exchange.
W4 too stronk!
The PFE 232 treble is hitting the perfect sweet spot of energy and detail for me, without being fatiguing or annoying. May perhaps be moving from other IEM where the sound is stunted in various ways. After a period of adjustment to the sound signature and experimenting with tips (triple flange best for me), the PFE 232 is beautifully balanced and tonally as close as I have experienced in universal IEM form to the great time I had with a home demo of an Invicta Dac + HD600 (overkill, yes)
There is no denying it is expensive but then again it is right on the limit of universal pricing. Something like the IE800 has no appeal for me simply because might as well take the leap into customs!
Hmm, I need to try different tips.
Don't get me wrong, they're still in the running for my go-to IEM, but for me the highs are a little much during longer listening sessions.
Maybe foam tips might helps out a bit. Depending on where the treble is bothering you, a better seal in general may be needed.
I'm getting a good seal. It's just time to try different tips. I'll be trying a few double/tri-flanges. Foam is a good idea too. Do olives work with these? Or is Comply my only option for foam? I don't really know enough about frequencies to be able to say where the treble is bothering me. Would I use a frequency sweep to identify that?
- [NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 56 seconds ago
- › The Everything MOD Gallery! 2 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Is there any neutral closed cans with good punchy bass? 3 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz' new portable headphone amplifier: AP001 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 6 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 6 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by alexau123
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by jehovahluvsme
- › V-MODA LP2 by M-Techn1k
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by M-Techn1k
- › Sony MDR-XD200 Stereo Headphones by M-Techn1k
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphones by vincik
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by vincik
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Frank I
- › Viva Egoista Amplifier by Frank I
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)