Apparently it's cheaper to buy from a store in Hong Kong because they have no import taxes whereas Japan has sales taxes (this from another Head-Fier based in HK). He also said that he can help anyone buy it and ship it from there so that's another option too.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productGrado GR10 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 2/16/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 2/16/11
- productJVC/Victor FX700tagged by System, 2/16/11
- productOrtofon e-Q5tagged by System, 2/16/11
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 4/12/11
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 2/16/11
- productSony MDR EX-1000tagged by System, 3/2/13
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/27/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM's Under $500 Last post on 11/18/12 at 8:08pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE535's worth upgrading to? Last post on 9/22/12 at 9:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Heir Audio 3.AI vs. Heir Audio 4.AI vs Sony EX1000! Last post on 11/11/12 at 10:19am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 7/3/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
The HD600 is a pair of excellent sounding cans. They have a balanced, natural sound and the soundstage is remarkably large. I can hear all sorts of sounds while listening to these cans and I can...
Before I begin, I’d like to thank shotgunshane for the opportunity to review these new headphones. My first experience with Brainwavz was when I picked up their M4 a couple of years ago. I was...
I have used this amp for about a year now, and I must say it has served me well. POWER Through many different headphones, the FiiO E09K hasn't skipped a beat, and has driven everything from...
Using WASAPI, ASIO and onboard stock drivers yielded the exact same result. Same sound quality and same sound coloration. Unless you are suffering from serious EMI and static noise then these dont...
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
[Review] Impressions of the Sony EX1000 versus the FX700, GR10 and e-Q5 - Page 4post #46 of 30002/28/11 at 11:39am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 30003/10/11 at 9:08am
I talked with Dimitri, who is very responsive, about the EX1000. The cost of a brand new pair would be $600, a $100 premium for the Japanese model - essentially $100 for the short cable. His open box/display model is $500 which is reasonable. I just can't justify it though. Seems the American version is a better buy.
I won't be buying it any time soon though (sticking to my new year's resolution for at least a little while longer), but I'd love to hear more impressions. Is the opinion that it's better than the FX700 and much better isolation still valid? Anybody try Comply tips?post #48 of 30003/10/11 at 11:31ampost #49 of 30003/10/11 at 11:39amQuote:
Thanks goodness it's you that's going to cave and not me!!
Great review James. I'm really trying hard not to buy any more phones at the moment, apart from maybe a budget back up set for a spare. But I can't help peeking into this thread from time to time, so who knows how long I'll be able to hold out forpost #50 of 30003/10/11 at 11:41ampost #51 of 30003/10/11 at 12:18pmpost #52 of 30003/10/11 at 1:39pmThread Starter
Edited first post to include a link section:
Isolation is noticably better than with the FX700 for me, but not like night and day better. Don't know about stock tips isolation though.
You know my standard reply in this case is "don't take it personally".Quote:Originally Posted by soozieq
Thanks goodness it's you that's going to cave and not me!!
Great review James. I'm really trying hard not to buy any more phones at the moment, apart from maybe a budget back up set for a spare. But I can't help peeking into this thread from time to time, so who knows how long I'll be able to hold out for
Thanks! Well I thought you and cn11 had an agreement that he's to buy the phones and send them to you?post #53 of 30003/11/11 at 5:25ampost #54 of 30003/11/11 at 6:37am
I did just that. Set for delivery anytime this morning.... waiting.... not so patiently......
Edit- Got them a little bit ago. Unboxed them, and trying 'em on. The ear loops are really causing me fit difficulty. I can't seem to get them to settle in place right. Feels like I want them to hug tighter around the backs of my ears, but they're too loose and springy and I can't get them tight enough so the earphones stay in place for a proper seal. Also it seems the loop angle relationship to the earphone body is not right for my ears. It kicks the back edge of the earphone body out too far... I feel like I want them to lay more flush with my ears. When I hold them in place, I hear the big effortless sound james has described though. Using the chin slider seems mandatory and I have to cinch it up pretty tight to get those loops to stay put a little better. More time w/fit necessary.... But the hybrid tips do seem to get a decent seal, so I think they'll work for my ears as probably one of the better tips.
Edited by cn11 - 3/11/11 at 9:00ampost #55 of 30003/11/11 at 10:24ampost #56 of 30003/11/11 at 11:06ampost #57 of 30003/11/11 at 11:28am
Heck yeah it was! I paid for it though... can't wait on slow, free shipping.
Some initial audio impressions:
- Bass: Probably the best I've heard if you factor in depth, cleanliness (not muddying the rest of the range), and tone of the low notes. Wow. Never heard bass like this from an earphone. It's just so textured and lifelike. Not as ultimately deep as the FX700, Radius DDM, IE8, or Atrio, but not too far off in that aspect. However the EX1K more than makes up for it in the character! You can just 'see' the bass drum's volume, as if you were there in concert with a front row seat and you can actually notice the drum skin jumping with each strike.
- Mids: They're placed just right. You feel a bit closer to the vocalist than with the SM3. But not overly so. Also, to this point, I haven't detected any spoken 'Sssssss' sibilance so far. There's such a nice tone to voices, and you really get a sense of a bass, tenor, soprano, or whatever is the person's natural vocal style is.
- Treble: Incredibly detailed. It must be more resolved and layered than even the FX700, going by my memory of them. They actually make my SM3s seem just a tad smeared and blurry sounding. I never thought a dynamic driver IEM would do that. I have noted a little harshness here and there though. Seems I can sense that mid-treble spike seen in the frequency graph.
So, I really dig their sound at this point. I hope burn in brings a bit of taming to the edginess in treble. I don't think they have as much bite as the FX700 though. And certainly nowhere near the likes of the FX500 or W3 (both of those from memory). Now if I could just get those darn ear loops to stay put better! Then they'd be close to ideal..
Edit- Man do they get along well with the Arrow 3G.
Edited by cn11 - 3/11/11 at 11:58ampost #58 of 30003/11/11 at 12:09pmThread StarterQuote:
Wow, thanks for your up-to-the-minute impressions, feels a bit like watching CNN: "Breaking news, cn11 got his EX1000 ..."
As for the ear loops, try bending and twisting them into shape before you put the phones on. IME they stay put better that way.post #59 of 30003/11/11 at 12:19pmQuote:
Ha ha, glad to be the audio reporter. Maybe I should hit up CES one of these years and do some impressions on the fly.
I have tried the bending beforehand, but they just sort of seem to shift back to the original placement. The only thing that's saving fit for me with these is the chin slider. Otherwise all would be futile with fit on these (for me). I have a few more tips to try out at home though....post #60 of 30003/11/11 at 12:23pm
Okay @ James and Chris, now when are you guys going to join me in the customs plane? There are so many seemingly decent custom companies out there now that are allowing to you get a pair around the same price as the universals you are purchasing. Don't get me wrong, I think universals will always have their place, but these customs are taking sound - for me - to a whole other level.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [Review] Impressions of the Sony EX1000 versus the FX700, GR10 and e-Q5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Grado Fan Club! 14 seconds ago
- › Destop DAC/HeadAmp combo upgrade recommendations 1 minute ago
- › Upgrade from Beyerdynamic T70p 3 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Is a lossy-lossy conversion process really that degrading in terms... 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit products, shipping to Canada? 4 minutes ago
- › D marc0's Journal: My Head-fi Journey (NEW: T-PEOS Altone 200 Review!) 6 minutes ago
- › First pair of decent headphones for electronic music. ($100-150 range) 6 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by freedom04
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ZapX629
- › FiiO E09K by MacroPower
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)