Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Review] Impressions of the Sony EX1000 versus the FX700, GR10 and e-Q5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] Impressions of the Sony EX1000 versus the FX700, GR10 and e-Q5 - Page 24

post #346 of 3029

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post



 

Hi!  tongue.gif

 


Why didn't you like it? If you posted impressions can I get a link to them?

 

post #347 of 3029
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

You say you consider yourself a midshead. I guess I consider myself one too and I'm interested in the EX1000s now. I have the CKM99s right now and I'm unsatisfied with it's sound signature. Too much sibilance, too much bass, too much treble. Would the EX1000 be the answer to my prayers? =)  From impressions, the EX1000 seems to lack any isolation which worries me.


Treble isn't as bright as on the on the CKM99s, and I've personally come to appreciate the EX1000s's treble more than I did at first, but if you've found the 99s to have "too much sibilance", perhaps you'll still find the Sonys a bit brighter than you'd like. There's less bass on the Sonys and it's noticeably more controlled and textured.

 

Isolation may prove problematic if that is VERY important to you; it's a little better on the 99s, but I think it's still acceptable on the Sonys, but definitely not Westone/ Shure type of isolation. Also note that unlike the 99s, which must be worn with the cable down, the Sonys MUST be worn with the cable around the ears.

 

post #348 of 3029
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

Why didn't you like it? If you posted impressions can I get a link to them?


Basically what music_4321 said.  I couldn't escape the treble issues I had w/ the tips I had available at the time.  While detailed and refined the bass didn't have enough 'presence' or 'body' for me.  Fit and isolation was horrid for me as well not unlike the DDMs wrt my ears.  I think its a signature that does great at ticking technical boxes rather than a phone that just wows immediately.  For slower, acoustic, orchestral stuff and genres like that I think it would be great.  I listen to other genres also that require a bit more of an engaging signature.  I tend to like a sense of 'power' to my music if that makes sense.  Not necessarily related to this topic but think 3D oils and textured canvas a la Van Gogh versus pastel water brushing.  biggrin.gif

 

Oh, the price didn't do it for my personal reasoning either.  When I heard them they were full retail (which the sign said $600 at the time, now $500) which was way beyond the value I put on them.

 


Edited by Anaxilus - 5/12/11 at 1:02pm
post #349 of 3029

Dear Mr Anaxilus,

 

With all due respect I think you owe it to yourself to give the EX1000s a second chance at some point. I think you tried them in under less than ideal circumstances - several variables at play, I'm sure. They may still not turn out to be your cuppa, but you may actually be rather pleasantly surprised.

 

The fit is certainly not for everybody, but on the whole I think most would find them just fine in that particular area. Isolation is not the Westone/ Shure/ Ety type, that's for sure. I'm inclined to believe they were purposefully designed that way, but isolation isn't all that bad, either.

 

However, I do think the EX1000s are not ideal for when out an about, ie the London underground, for instance, and not just because 'the tube' is often pretty loud, but also because the EX1000s would cause more than a handful of heads to turn - great news for some people, no doubt, but quite bad news for others.

 

Also, I think that depending on where you're coming from (sound sig preference & previous IEMs/ cans owned) the EX1000s can really wow some people (not just newbies coming from iBuds or the like). I personally wasn't immediately wowed straightaway - generally a good sign in my case - but on the second day with them, and only at home in a quiet environment, I was sold and placed my order.

 

No, the EX1000s will definitely not be everyone's cup of tea and will most likely not get the hype the SM3s or SE535s get, if only for the price alone. But in a way, perhaps, that's not such a bad thing.

 


Edited by music_4321 - 5/12/11 at 1:54pm
post #350 of 3029
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

Dear Mr Anaxilus,

 

With all due respect I think you owe it to yourself to give the EX1000s a second chance at some point. I think you tried them in under less than ideal circumstances - several variables at play, I'm sure. They may still not turn out to be your cuppa, but you may actually be rather pleasantly surprised.

 

The fit is certainly not for everybody, but on the whole I think most would find them just fine in that particular area. Isolation is not the Westone/ Shure/ Ety type, that's for sure. I'm inclined to believe they were purposefully designed that way, but isolation isn't all that bad, either.

 

However, I do think the EX1000s are not ideal for when out an about, ie the London underground, for instance, and not just because 'the tube' is often pretty loud, but also because the EX1000s would cause more than a handful of heads to turn - great news for some people, no doubt, but quite bad news for others.

 

Also, I think that depending on where you're coming from (sound sig preference & previous IEMs/ cans owned) the EX1000s can really wow some people (not just newbies coming from iBuds or the like). I personally wasn't immediately wowed straightaway - generally a good sign in my case - but on the second day with them, and only at home in a quiet environment, I was sold and placed my order.

 

No, the EX1000s will definitely not be everyone's cup of tea and will most likely not get the hype the SM3s or SE535s get, if only for the price alone. But in a way, perhaps, that's not such a bad thing.

 


I agree.  I'd love to hear them again to make sure but the whole discus design simply doesn't work for me on the DDM, DDM2 or EX1000.  CES had a very loud ambient noise that doesn't go well w/ poor isolation but if the 'wow' signature and 'power' was there I'm sure I could have heard it.  I know the FX700 wouldn't have a problem conveying those aspects in the same environment so not sure isolation was really an issue related to how I heard them.

 

I certainly didn't equate 'wow' to being an upgrade from ibuds.  Some phones have it others don't.  A lot of upper tier phones don't for me.  ER4S, 530, TF10, etc.  Doesn't mean they suck, just that they don't give me what I'm looking for is all.  

 

But yes, if anyone wants to loan me a pair I'll listen to them again.  I'm not dropping a dime myself on another universal atm as my ES5 is even stealing eartime from my IERM these days.  Lets say I'm probably more partial to a coloration that more faithful to the music than the actual recording.  That's a whole other thread topic though. 

 

PS-I think you can call me Anax by now, lol.  Silly bird.  wink_face.gif

 

post #351 of 3029
Fair point Anaxilus. However you might want to reserve your judgment on the Sonys until you've heard them properly. Even if you don't like the signature, there's no denying how well textured and detailed they are. It sounds nothing like the usual universal top tiers.
post #352 of 3029
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuahogary View Post

there's no denying how well textured and detailed they are

 

I heard that but that's not enough for me.  The Z1000 was even far better that the EX1000 IMO but that wasn't for me either.  I prefer my ES5 over both.

 

post #353 of 3029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post



 

I heard that but that's not enough for me.  The Z1000 was even far better that the EX1000 IMO but that wasn't for me either.  I prefer my ES5 over both.

 


Thanks for the reply. From all the comments about the EX1000, it sounds like the EX1000 should be somewhat similar to the HD598 but with the small IEM soundstage and better resolution all around. Would I be right to assume that?

 

post #354 of 3029
Thread Starter 

^ Soundstage on the EX1000 is among the very best for IEMs and certainly not small. I've not much experience with full sized cans, but to my ears they had better soundstage than dfkt's loaner HFI-780s (despite Ultrasone's s-Logic claims) and don't fall all that short of my trusty old Sony F1 (which is an unfair comparison, since the latter are completely open phones).

post #355 of 3029

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

^ Soundstage on the EX1000 is among the very best for IEMs and certainly not small. I've not much experience with full sized cans, but to my ears they had better soundstage than dfkt's loaner HFI-780s (despite Ultrasone's s-Logic claims) and don't fall all that short of my trusty old Sony F1 (which is an unfair comparison, since the latter are completely open phones).


Wow. I'm not gonna lie. These sound very tempting.

 

post #356 of 3029
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

^ Soundstage on the EX1000 is among the very best for IEMs and certainly not small. I've not much experience with full sized cans, but to my ears they had better soundstage than dfkt's loaner HFI-780s (despite Ultrasone's s-Logic claims) and don't fall all that short of my trusty old Sony F1 (which is an unfair comparison, since the latter are completely open phones).


S-Logic is simulated SS that is just a different experience compared to the 598 as you know w/ your F1.  

 

@ wind016

 

SS is the 598's bread and butter and I have not heard that in any IEM yet.  I'm not usually a fan of ultra wide SS but the way the 598 does it and images is so effortless and natural.  If that is your hope in an IEM it still hasn't arrived yet IMO.  In fact I need to hear the 800 again because I was so taken by the synergy I had during my last listen I forgot to pay attention to how the SS compares to the 598.  Doh!

 

How close do they actually come to the 598?  I'd need to listen to the EX1000 more to say for sure but it is no 598 in that regard if that makes sense.  Whether that is acceptable to you considering the EX1000 is an IEM is another question. 

 

post #357 of 3029

I agree.  Sound stage is quite remarkable.  Never thought such sound stage was possible with IEMs.  It is so side that, I'm considering getting rid of my cans. I'll compare the SS with 1964-T.


Edited by High_Q - 5/13/11 at 4:54pm
post #358 of 3029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post


I agree.  I'd love to hear them again to make sure but the whole discus design simply doesn't work for me on the DDM, DDM2 or EX1000.  CES had a very loud ambient noise that doesn't go well w/ poor isolation but if the 'wow' signature and 'power' was there I'm sure I could have heard it.  I know the FX700 wouldn't have a problem conveying those aspects in the same environment so not sure isolation was really an issue related to how I heard them.

 

I certainly didn't equate 'wow' to being an upgrade from ibuds.  Some phones have it others don't.  A lot of upper tier phones don't for me.  ER4S, 530, TF10, etc.  Doesn't mean they suck, just that they don't give me what I'm looking for is all.  

 

But yes, if anyone wants to loan me a pair I'll listen to them again.  I'm not dropping a dime myself on another universal atm as my ES5 is even stealing eartime from my IERM these days.  Lets say I'm probably more partial to a coloration that more faithful to the music than the actual recording.  That's a whole other thread topic though. 

 

PS-I think you can call me Anax by now, lol.  Silly bird.  wink_face.gif

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post


S-Logic is simulated SS that is just a different experience compared to the 598 as you know w/ your F1.  

 

@ wind016

 

SS is the 598's bread and butter and I have not heard that in any IEM yet.  I'm not usually a fan of ultra wide SS but the way the 598 does it and images is so effortless and natural.  If that is your hope in an IEM it still hasn't arrived yet IMO.  In fact I need to hear the 800 again because I was so taken by the synergy I had during my last listen I forgot to pay attention to how the SS compares to the 598.  Doh!

 

How close do they actually come to the 598?  I'd need to listen to the EX1000 more to say for sure but it is no 598 in that regard if that makes sense.  Whether that is acceptable to you considering the EX1000 is an IEM is another question. 

 

Dear Anax,

 

Can't remember just now how much you enjoyed the HD650s. I can tell you that the soundstage of the EX1000s is (from memory) better than the Senns. I never felt the HD650 had a massive SS, and I'm one of those who thinks the IE8's SS capabilities are somewhat exaggerated (same goes for the SM3's SS) - perhaps my hearing is more 2D than 3D? :) Doesn't feel like that outside the world of headphones, though.

 

Now, I haven't heard the HD598s, and they do sound pretty interesting, I have to say, though I'm not entirely sure 'Id actually enjoy/ prefer that type of 'real' sound. What I do know is that the EX1000s SS is the best I've heard. It's still 'in your head' as far as I'm concerned, but it has a coherence about it that seems to be more expansive. No other phone listed in my sig/ profile has given me this level of 'SS coherence', not even my ES3X. There's nothing artificial about it. The word that comes to mind is 'organic', but not sure that makes much sense.
 

 


Edited by music_4321 - 5/14/11 at 12:52pm
post #359 of 3029

LOL, the trouble of talking about the EX1000 is that we always end up sounding fanboy-ish and biased even though we're trying to be honest. Really. tongue.gif

post #360 of 3029
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuahogary View Post

LOL, the trouble of talking about the EX1000 is that we always end up sounding fanboy-ish and biased even though we're trying to be honest. Really. tongue.gif



I admit I am a fanboy and am trying to convince everyone that the EX1000 is a good investment. tongue.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Review] Impressions of the Sony EX1000 versus the FX700, GR10 and e-Q5