Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Review] Impressions of the Sony EX1000 versus the FX700, GR10 and e-Q5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] Impressions of the Sony EX1000 versus the FX700, GR10 and e-Q5 - Page 174

post #2596 of 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostid View Post

The hissing sibilance of the EX1000 is pretty annoying as presented in those non-vocal tracks. It's like someone experiencing nasal blockage who is trying to suck his nose for breath.

 

I hope this sibilance will subdue with time. Didn't remember experiencing this sibilance with its little brother EX600.



inner-fidelity mentioned on his review that the ex600s are more suitable for portables than the ex1000s because of this issue if i'm not mistaken..

post #2597 of 2984

I've watched Tyll on youtube doing that review which is the opposite impression of many HF'ers who have both ex600/1000.

 

Sibilance is not an issue with my ex1000, in fact the ex1000 are the best sounding phones I've heard.

post #2598 of 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

Sibilance is not an issue with my ex1000

 

So you are not hearing the sibilance or it doesn't bother you or it will subdue with time? The sibilance doesn't bother me for the vocals, but for some non-vocal tracks its presence becomes annoying.
 

 

post #2599 of 2984

it could be hit/miss thing also.. at first i wasn't bothered by it then suddenly noticed it and bought the ex1000 cables because of how it changed the SQ.. then the sibilance was gone but then the upper mids gave me fatigue too much and it was hard for me to get past 1 hr of listening and it could be because i only use an ipod classic as my main source

and i was poisoned by the um3x's intimate presentation as well as the w4s so I sold them..

 

and my friend who had my ex1000s said the same thing too he had a dedicated dap ( i forgot) paired with his HP fostex but said the upper mids was tiring too..  so it's a hit/miss thing maybe..

post #2600 of 2984

I don't think lostid even knows what "sibilance" is. It seems like he just heard something he doesn't like and is blindly assigning a term to it. Sibilance with "non-vocal" tracks? Sorry, but that's pretty much the exact opposite of what everyone else hears. When the rest of us hear sibilance it's almost exclusively with tracks featuring vocals, and even then that same sibilance is often present in other 'phones(*coughFX700cough*), just less pronounced at times. And the EX600 is more prone to sibilance.

 

Don't try and rationalize/justify your preference for something else or selling something by making stuff up.

post #2601 of 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenium View Post

I don't think lostid even knows what "sibilance" is. It seems like he just heard something he doesn't like and is blindly assigning a term to it. Sibilance with "non-vocal" tracks? Sorry, but that's pretty much the exact opposite of what everyone else hears. When the rest of us hear sibilance it's almost exclusively with tracks featuring vocals, and even then that same sibilance is often present in other 'phones(*coughFX700cough*), just less pronounced at times. And the EX600 is more prone to sibilance.

 

Don't try and rationalize/justify your preference for something else or selling something by making stuff up.

 

OK

 

post #2602 of 2984

If any of you guys have a chance to listen to Beethoven's triple concerto (see the pic below for the album), you may be able to experience what I meant "sibilance" for the non vocals.

 

Those who may not know what I am talking about please STOP drawing conclusions for me. There is an ignore button available and you can bypass my posts.

 

51trNmQFo-L._SS500_.jpg

post #2603 of 2984

That post was obviously directed at me so why don't you just say it? This is the same guy who not too long ago thought his stock earbuds sounded better than high-end IEMs. Grain of salt. I'm drawing conclusions from you in the same manner as you just drew a conclusion from me in making that post. LOL

 

Maybe try posting a listenable link next time.

post #2604 of 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenium View Post

That post was obviously directed at me so why don't you just say it? This is the same guy who not too long ago thought his stock earbuds sounded better than high-end IEMs. Grain of salt. I'm drawing conclusions from you in the same manner as you just drew a conclusion from me in making that post. LOL

 

Maybe try posting a listenable link next time.


OK you win. Let's make a deal and not to bother each other from now on. For god's sake let's not waste your time and my time. I will no longer respond.

 

post #2605 of 2984

EX1000s 5.5k spike makes it sibilance prone, the nozzle's design doesn't help either. Never let it pass the second ring on the nozzle, the tips need to have the proper length. The design doesn't help the slight grain in the treble because of resonants of shallow insertion. 

post #2606 of 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

EX1000s 5.5k spike makes it sibilance prone, the nozzle's design doesn't help either. Never let it pass the second ring on the nozzle, the tips need to have the proper length. The design doesn't help the slight grain in the treble because of resonants of shallow insertion.
 

Does it mean the sibilance may not just exist with vocals? I am actually not bothered by the vocal sibilance because it naturally flows with the vocals. But I heard the similar sibilance in that album mentioned above which was annoying. It doesn't occur very often in the non vocals only a few occasions so far.

 

post #2607 of 2984

It's vocally induced. Harshness and sibilance aren't the same thing,though a sibilant IEM is usually harsh 

post #2608 of 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenium View Post

I don't think lostid even knows what "sibilance" is. It seems like he just heard something he doesn't like and is blindly assigning a term to it. Sibilance with "non-vocal" tracks? Sorry, but that's pretty much the exact opposite of what everyone else hears. When the rest of us hear sibilance it's almost exclusively with tracks featuring vocals, and even then that same sibilance is often present in other 'phones(*coughFX700cough*), just less pronounced at times. And the EX600 is more prone to sibilance.

 

Don't try and rationalize/justify your preference for something else or selling something by making stuff up.

 

 

Sorry to put a stamp in your statement Selenium but there is more than just sibilance in Vocal tracks. I bet he is referring to the treble spikes in the lower and upper region of the EX1000. It is clearly there, even on the graphs. Just because he can hear it and you can't doesn't make him wrong. These IEMs just may not be for him. I wanted them to work out for me but I couldn't get past the sibilance. I'm still shocked how most people can't hear this. It's pretty horrible to be honest. Then again my hearing is very sensitive so that would explain my bad experience with this product. YMWV.
 

 


Edited by lee730 - 4/8/12 at 10:37pm
post #2609 of 2984

My high frequency hearing is highly sensitive as well, but there is a way around it. I already mentioned keeping the tips length proper, but insertion depth matters a lot as well. I get a much deeper insertion wearing them straight down. Small M6 triflanges (the ones with the small bore) get rid of a lot of the spike but most likely make them sound similar to the 7550s. I do cut the smallest flange to decrease the dampening.. 

post #2610 of 2984

Well no matter the tips I tried I couldn't get passed it. I had to make a makeshift tip to just get a proper seal with them, which did help to reduce sibilance, but it was still there... I was also using deep insertion which seemed to help somewhat.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [Review] Impressions of the Sony EX1000 versus the FX700, GR10 and e-Q5