Nice to see someone w/a high end custom still speak highly of a universal, the fx700. Usually when people get customs, the universal's "flaws" suddenly become more apparent.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productGrado GR10 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 2/16/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 2/16/11
- productJVC/Victor FX700tagged by System, 2/16/11
- productOrtofon e-Q5tagged by System, 2/16/11
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 4/12/11
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 2/16/11
- productSony MDR EX-1000tagged by System, 3/2/13
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/27/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM's Under $500 Last post on 11/18/12 at 8:08pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE535's worth upgrading to? Last post on 9/22/12 at 9:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4? Last post on 6/13/13 at 3:05am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Heir Audio 3.AI vs. Heir Audio 4.AI vs Sony EX1000! Last post on 11/11/12 at 10:19am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
[Review] Impressions of the Sony EX1000 versus the FX700, GR10 and e-Q5 - Page 157
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Well, to be fair most anything that could be considered an upgrade to the Coppers is gonna have less bass. The Monster top-tiers are generally some of the bassiest high-end IEMs out there.
I think the Monsters are too bass heavy when it comes down to it. It detracts from trying to get close to the recording's true color. To each their own though, nothing wrong with liking that extra coloration.
Couldn't agree more.
Yeah, IMO my custom iem still cannot replicate the timbre of a DD iem like FX700. But for other aspects, like noise isolation, transparency, resolution and faster decay of notes (usually found on BA iems), my custom still tops my other universals. Flaws can be apparent on both ways.
These have the perfect amount of bass of anything I've ever heard. Suitable for every genre of music. Never excessive, never lean. Stays out of the way unless needed. Better texturing than anything I've heard. OMG
Did I mention the bass IMPACT is pretty much perfect too? It doesn't feel like someone's drumming with crowbars as is the case with my Monsters at times, not does it sound like someone's drumming with a french tickler(Yuin PK2, for instance). It's just right.
So you're saying the EX1000 sounds better than the GR07 then, right?
I think eric prefers the GR07 to the EX1000. Otherwise he'd most likely have the EX1000. I bet if the IE80s fixes the issues of the IE8 the new IE80 will be his new all-time favorite.
Yeah, I'm just stirring the pot.
To those of you who find these sibilant, what source do you use? I find that they're less likely to be sibilant out of my Clip+ than they are out of my E7 for instance.
Even using it on my Hifiman 601 I found it still sibilant. Not sure if maybe sibilant could be a different term from treble spike. But that was the main issue for me, even with the mellow Hifiman 601.
.... Hmmmmm? Ahhhhh.....No! I'm saying the EX1000 is prettier than the GR07 though... Although I'm mighty fond of the EX1000's middle sister, the 7550. We really like each other. And the baby sister isn't bad (EX600).
I just got the EX600 and I'm just reminded of how difficult it is to get good seal on the EX sisters. They can trick you into having good seal, then when you turn on the music they cry like a wailing banshee into your ears. Unbearable, and I think that illusion of good fit but sub par SQ is what most people struggle in liking the EX1000.
Anyway about the EX600. They're really good for their price but they sound so unrefined and harsh in comparison to the EX1000. And I really miss the lovely mids in the EX1000.
- [Review] Impressions of the Sony EX1000 versus the FX700, GR10 and e-Q5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 33 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 44 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Neutral portable headphones? 3 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 4 minutes ago
- › Looking to take the next step 4 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1) 5 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by koloseij
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Nap-Chiang
- › Noble 4 by Airlight
- › ROCK JAW KOMMAND BA + Dynamic hybrid by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by Apex Eight
- › Westone UM Pro30 High Performance Triple Driver Universal Fit... by Sort
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS99 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan... by Mottom
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by Kenny Ingram
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)