If you have a large head like me, you might find the 650 very snug until the headband breaks in.
Related Forum Threads
- First good headphones? Last post on 12/15/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650 but more detailed? Last post on 10/1/11 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable, open, flat/neutral, highly detailed and resolving headphones? (< ~$500) Last post on 11/14/11 at 4:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Size Headphone Recommendation For Home Use Last post on 9/7/11 at 8:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- is one of this headphone a good complment to the akg k701? Last post on 8/20/11 at 2:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have to say I was very impressed with this little beauty. For my 63 yr. young ears after being subjected to some of the most ferocious live hard rock and heavy metal it really does justice to...
Setup I got my pair on sale for $150 USD. I have had a few lower end AKG headphones and have never been disappointed with the value and sound signature they offered. It's been a long time...
This is my first review. Honestly I am quite new to head-fi although I have tried and bought and sold a lot of headphones and earphones lately. I bought a pair of MA750 a week ago for 108USD in...
My reviews are usually long winded and detailed, but in this review im keeping things short as this is not a high-end product by any means. I have had the Sansa Clip since June of last year, and...
In my humble opinion the Sennheiser HD600 is by far one of the best sounding dynamic headphones on the market period hopefully you'll agree with me at the end of this...
DT880 and HD650 - Worth owning both? - Page 3post #31 of 352/5/13 at 11:46am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 352/5/13 at 3:42pmQuote:
They're welcome to do that, since it's their money, but to me it seems ridiculous.
It's the 250 ohm 880. And yes, I prefer it too.post #33 of 353/8/13 at 3:36amQuote:Originally Posted by randybandicoot
It's been a while now since I purchased a pair of HD650's to go along with my DT880's. My conclusion? It's definitely worth owning both pairs, especially if you listen to a wide range of music under varied conditions.
The DT880 is an incredibly detailed and critical pair of headphones. In combination with some music, it demands attention. It is properly difficult for me to, say, read a book while listening to the DT880's. It has an uncanny ability to cut through a complicated or muddy mix and put things in sharp focus and gives well-recorded music an incredible sense of texture. Perhaps as an inevitable consequence, however, the DT880's have a tendency to bring out any flaws in the recording, and they make a huge deal out of even the most minor compression artifacts.
Especially when compared to the DT880's, the HD650's really do live up to their reputation as being laid-back. They're not as overt about rubbing the detail in your face, and they're not quite as quick. They do, however, have a much more forgiving sound. Some modern music, specifically some modern rock, is borderline unlistenable on the DT880's, but it sounds fine on the HD650's. It's not that they don't reproduce the flaws in the recording, they're just a lot less shouty about it. Perhaps the greatest thing about the HD650's is how they make everything sound good. A note about amping, the iBasso PB1 they were originally paired up with did an adequate job of driving them, but an upgrade to the more powerful PB2 gave them a truly impressive level of authority. The HD650's are definitely a headphone that likes to have a lot of power behind them.
The DT880's make me feel like I'm immersed in my music, and for that reason they remain my favorite headphones, but for a more casual listening experience, the HD650's are most definitely worth a look. They really are wonderful complements.
Randy, these are great impressions. I'm just interested to know if you owned both the DT880 and the HD650 at the same time (and were able to compare them directly) when you made these impressions? Thanks!!post #34 of 354/6/13 at 5:43am
I am both a owner of the HD650 and the ibasso PB2 and liked the OPA604's tonality, but for the buffer section, would you think that the stock Buf634U is enough? or better off using both the buf634U and P in stacking? thanks for you opinionpost #35 of 354/19/13 at 7:58pmThread StarterQuote:
Thank you! Yes, I did own them both at the same time. I still do, in fact. I've considered trading in one or the other at various points, but that pair still forms the backbone of my collection, and it's unlikely that'll change anytime soon.
I am incredibly fond of the AD797 with no buffer. Give it a try. I never understood what the HD650 could do until I tried that on a whim one day. Suffice it to say that my mind was utterly blown.
Edited by randybandicoot - 4/19/13 at 8:01pm
- DT880 and HD650 - Worth owning both?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 26 seconds ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 1 minute ago
- › Brief Odac impressions 2 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . Lurker0 FW Mod... 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Questyle QP1 4 minutes ago
- › Free: DIY start kit in DFW area 5 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 5 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 7 minutes ago
- › Fiio e18 help 7 minutes ago
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by xevman
- › Trinity - Techne Dynamic IEM by mark2410
- › Ubsound Fighter in-ear monitor with universal inline microphone and... by acain
- › T-Peos Altone250 by Cotnijoe
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A Stage Headphone Amplifier by JoeDoe
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2