If you have a large head like me, you might find the 650 very snug until the headband breaks in.
Related Forum Threads
- First good headphones? Last post on 12/15/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650 but more detailed? Last post on 10/1/11 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable, open, flat/neutral, highly detailed and resolving headphones? (< ~$500) Last post on 11/14/11 at 4:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Size Headphone Recommendation For Home Use Last post on 9/7/11 at 8:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- is one of this headphone a good complment to the akg k701? Last post on 8/20/11 at 2:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Audio-Technica US for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. I can’t imagine a better way to wrap up a series of...
First off, I want to thank Faheem and Singnature Acoustics for this O-16 Live unit and apologize for the humongous delay (it’s been very long) of this review. Packaging and...
These were actually my first pair of mixing headphones. I can definitely say they worked for me at the time, but this is also the time I did not acknowledge the importance of EQ & compression. I...
In my search for a good pair of earbuds, these where my next try. Better than the previous maxell I bought, but definitely the search must keep going. My ratings are; Bass 2/5,...
Grado SR80i Intro Thingy: I was wondering if I should even review the SR80i because Grado's e series cans came out not too long ago and I was thinking noone would heed my review 'cause the...
DT880 and HD650 - Worth owning both? - Page 3post #31 of 352/5/13 at 11:46am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 352/5/13 at 3:42pmQuote:
They're welcome to do that, since it's their money, but to me it seems ridiculous.
It's the 250 ohm 880. And yes, I prefer it too.post #33 of 353/8/13 at 3:36amQuote:Originally Posted by randybandicoot
It's been a while now since I purchased a pair of HD650's to go along with my DT880's. My conclusion? It's definitely worth owning both pairs, especially if you listen to a wide range of music under varied conditions.
The DT880 is an incredibly detailed and critical pair of headphones. In combination with some music, it demands attention. It is properly difficult for me to, say, read a book while listening to the DT880's. It has an uncanny ability to cut through a complicated or muddy mix and put things in sharp focus and gives well-recorded music an incredible sense of texture. Perhaps as an inevitable consequence, however, the DT880's have a tendency to bring out any flaws in the recording, and they make a huge deal out of even the most minor compression artifacts.
Especially when compared to the DT880's, the HD650's really do live up to their reputation as being laid-back. They're not as overt about rubbing the detail in your face, and they're not quite as quick. They do, however, have a much more forgiving sound. Some modern music, specifically some modern rock, is borderline unlistenable on the DT880's, but it sounds fine on the HD650's. It's not that they don't reproduce the flaws in the recording, they're just a lot less shouty about it. Perhaps the greatest thing about the HD650's is how they make everything sound good. A note about amping, the iBasso PB1 they were originally paired up with did an adequate job of driving them, but an upgrade to the more powerful PB2 gave them a truly impressive level of authority. The HD650's are definitely a headphone that likes to have a lot of power behind them.
The DT880's make me feel like I'm immersed in my music, and for that reason they remain my favorite headphones, but for a more casual listening experience, the HD650's are most definitely worth a look. They really are wonderful complements.
Randy, these are great impressions. I'm just interested to know if you owned both the DT880 and the HD650 at the same time (and were able to compare them directly) when you made these impressions? Thanks!!post #34 of 354/6/13 at 5:43am
I am both a owner of the HD650 and the ibasso PB2 and liked the OPA604's tonality, but for the buffer section, would you think that the stock Buf634U is enough? or better off using both the buf634U and P in stacking? thanks for you opinionpost #35 of 354/19/13 at 7:58pmThread StarterQuote:
Thank you! Yes, I did own them both at the same time. I still do, in fact. I've considered trading in one or the other at various points, but that pair still forms the backbone of my collection, and it's unlikely that'll change anytime soon.
I am incredibly fond of the AD797 with no buffer. Give it a try. I never understood what the HD650 could do until I tried that on a whim one day. Suffice it to say that my mind was utterly blown.
Edited by randybandicoot - 4/19/13 at 8:01pm
- DT880 and HD650 - Worth owning both?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 45 seconds ago
- › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... 2 minutes ago
- › [ON EBAY] Clear Shure SE215 WITH 2-YEAR GUITAR CENTER PRO COVERAGE... 3 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 4 minutes ago
- › Amp for Alpha Prime 5 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 5 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 25th, 2015) 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones by ilovesocks
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by Dickymint
- › Headphones EB-BL Jelleez Ear Buds Black by LuigiSound
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2