If you have a large head like me, you might find the 650 very snug until the headband breaks in.
Related Forum Threads
- First good headphones? Last post on 12/15/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650 but more detailed? Last post on 10/1/11 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable, open, flat/neutral, highly detailed and resolving headphones? (< ~$500) Last post on 11/14/11 at 4:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Size Headphone Recommendation For Home Use Last post on 9/7/11 at 8:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- is one of this headphone a good complment to the akg k701? Last post on 8/20/11 at 2:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Acknowledgment Thanks to @Tony-Hifi of HiFi headphones for making me review this desktop DAC/Amp as a favour. I love reviewing loaners, but it’s always sad to package and send them off...
Hi Head-Fi/Vibro Labs fans, I was the second stop on the Aria tour, and I've had a great week reviewing them. This post will contain some of my thoughts and impressions, and I'll be touching on...
Ok I have been using a pair of these for several years. I logged on because there are way too many positive reviews of these things. Firstly: everything I mix on these is significantly...
Never thought this day would come but I guess blunders are inevitable. There is no denying the Beyerdynamic T5p is one attractive looking Headphone, I think it's among the most beautiful and...
I didn't have much expectations when i ordered this headphone from GearBest back in january 2016..it took around 3 weeks to arrive and the packaging was simple. The moment i unpacked the box i got...
DT880 and HD650 - Worth owning both? - Page 3post #31 of 352/5/13 at 11:46am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 352/5/13 at 3:42pmQuote:
They're welcome to do that, since it's their money, but to me it seems ridiculous.
It's the 250 ohm 880. And yes, I prefer it too.post #33 of 353/8/13 at 3:36amQuote:Originally Posted by randybandicoot
It's been a while now since I purchased a pair of HD650's to go along with my DT880's. My conclusion? It's definitely worth owning both pairs, especially if you listen to a wide range of music under varied conditions.
The DT880 is an incredibly detailed and critical pair of headphones. In combination with some music, it demands attention. It is properly difficult for me to, say, read a book while listening to the DT880's. It has an uncanny ability to cut through a complicated or muddy mix and put things in sharp focus and gives well-recorded music an incredible sense of texture. Perhaps as an inevitable consequence, however, the DT880's have a tendency to bring out any flaws in the recording, and they make a huge deal out of even the most minor compression artifacts.
Especially when compared to the DT880's, the HD650's really do live up to their reputation as being laid-back. They're not as overt about rubbing the detail in your face, and they're not quite as quick. They do, however, have a much more forgiving sound. Some modern music, specifically some modern rock, is borderline unlistenable on the DT880's, but it sounds fine on the HD650's. It's not that they don't reproduce the flaws in the recording, they're just a lot less shouty about it. Perhaps the greatest thing about the HD650's is how they make everything sound good. A note about amping, the iBasso PB1 they were originally paired up with did an adequate job of driving them, but an upgrade to the more powerful PB2 gave them a truly impressive level of authority. The HD650's are definitely a headphone that likes to have a lot of power behind them.
The DT880's make me feel like I'm immersed in my music, and for that reason they remain my favorite headphones, but for a more casual listening experience, the HD650's are most definitely worth a look. They really are wonderful complements.
Randy, these are great impressions. I'm just interested to know if you owned both the DT880 and the HD650 at the same time (and were able to compare them directly) when you made these impressions? Thanks!!post #34 of 354/6/13 at 5:43am
I am both a owner of the HD650 and the ibasso PB2 and liked the OPA604's tonality, but for the buffer section, would you think that the stock Buf634U is enough? or better off using both the buf634U and P in stacking? thanks for you opinionpost #35 of 354/19/13 at 7:58pmThread StarterQuote:
Thank you! Yes, I did own them both at the same time. I still do, in fact. I've considered trading in one or the other at various points, but that pair still forms the backbone of my collection, and it's unlikely that'll change anytime soon.
I am incredibly fond of the AD797 with no buffer. Give it a try. I never understood what the HD650 could do until I tried that on a whim one day. Suffice it to say that my mind was utterly blown.
Edited by randybandicoot - 4/19/13 at 8:01pm
- DT880 and HD650 - Worth owning both?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Chinese CIEM and UIEM manufacturers 45 seconds ago
- › Get 50% off of FiiO X7 modules. 52 seconds ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Need to clean my V-moda Crossfade m100s inner ear pad, how? 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 4 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA-8 5 minutes ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 6 minutes ago
- › Review of Meier Audio Corda JAZZ with ƒƒ-technology upgrade 7 minutes ago
- › Questyle CMA600i "Current Mode Amplification" Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Talai
- › Shure SRH840 by haroldtheboss
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by MrTechAgent
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...