If you have a large head like me, you might find the 650 very snug until the headband breaks in.
Related Forum Threads
- First good headphones? Last post on 12/15/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650 but more detailed? Last post on 10/1/11 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable, open, flat/neutral, highly detailed and resolving headphones? (< ~$500) Last post on 11/14/11 at 4:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Size Headphone Recommendation For Home Use Last post on 9/7/11 at 8:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- is one of this headphone a good complment to the akg k701? Last post on 8/20/11 at 2:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The price to performance ratio of the HiFiMan HE-400 is truly exceptional. The clamping force of new head band is tight and requires break-in. I prefer the the plush pads over stock pads for...
They are a very good option. The sound is natural, they are comfortable to use. The only con I have with it is the included cable that is too long and bulky (if you want to listen them connected...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I must admit, until recently, I was not aware of the Master and Dynamic brand. I had heard about them on the forums, but never really read anything about them. Their recent model MH40 is their...
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
DT880 and HD650 - Worth owning both? - Page 3post #31 of 352/5/13 at 11:46am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 352/5/13 at 3:42pmQuote:
They're welcome to do that, since it's their money, but to me it seems ridiculous.
It's the 250 ohm 880. And yes, I prefer it too.post #33 of 353/8/13 at 3:36amQuote:Originally Posted by randybandicoot
It's been a while now since I purchased a pair of HD650's to go along with my DT880's. My conclusion? It's definitely worth owning both pairs, especially if you listen to a wide range of music under varied conditions.
The DT880 is an incredibly detailed and critical pair of headphones. In combination with some music, it demands attention. It is properly difficult for me to, say, read a book while listening to the DT880's. It has an uncanny ability to cut through a complicated or muddy mix and put things in sharp focus and gives well-recorded music an incredible sense of texture. Perhaps as an inevitable consequence, however, the DT880's have a tendency to bring out any flaws in the recording, and they make a huge deal out of even the most minor compression artifacts.
Especially when compared to the DT880's, the HD650's really do live up to their reputation as being laid-back. They're not as overt about rubbing the detail in your face, and they're not quite as quick. They do, however, have a much more forgiving sound. Some modern music, specifically some modern rock, is borderline unlistenable on the DT880's, but it sounds fine on the HD650's. It's not that they don't reproduce the flaws in the recording, they're just a lot less shouty about it. Perhaps the greatest thing about the HD650's is how they make everything sound good. A note about amping, the iBasso PB1 they were originally paired up with did an adequate job of driving them, but an upgrade to the more powerful PB2 gave them a truly impressive level of authority. The HD650's are definitely a headphone that likes to have a lot of power behind them.
The DT880's make me feel like I'm immersed in my music, and for that reason they remain my favorite headphones, but for a more casual listening experience, the HD650's are most definitely worth a look. They really are wonderful complements.
Randy, these are great impressions. I'm just interested to know if you owned both the DT880 and the HD650 at the same time (and were able to compare them directly) when you made these impressions? Thanks!!post #34 of 354/6/13 at 5:43am
I am both a owner of the HD650 and the ibasso PB2 and liked the OPA604's tonality, but for the buffer section, would you think that the stock Buf634U is enough? or better off using both the buf634U and P in stacking? thanks for you opinionpost #35 of 354/19/13 at 7:58pmThread StarterQuote:
Thank you! Yes, I did own them both at the same time. I still do, in fact. I've considered trading in one or the other at various points, but that pair still forms the backbone of my collection, and it's unlikely that'll change anytime soon.
I am incredibly fond of the AD797 with no buffer. Give it a try. I never understood what the HD650 could do until I tried that on a whim one day. Suffice it to say that my mind was utterly blown.
Edited by randybandicoot - 4/19/13 at 8:01pm
- DT880 and HD650 - Worth owning both?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 40 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 51 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 58 seconds ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 1 minute ago
- › OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The State of the Flagships 1 minute ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2