If you have a large head like me, you might find the 650 very snug until the headband breaks in.
Related Forum Threads
- First good headphones? Last post on 12/15/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650 but more detailed? Last post on 10/1/11 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable, open, flat/neutral, highly detailed and resolving headphones? (< ~$500) Last post on 11/14/11 at 4:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Size Headphone Recommendation For Home Use Last post on 9/7/11 at 8:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- is one of this headphone a good complment to the akg k701? Last post on 8/20/11 at 2:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Today
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
*Review to come*
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
DT880 and HD650 - Worth owning both? - Page 3post #31 of 352/5/13 at 11:46am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 352/5/13 at 3:42pmQuote:
They're welcome to do that, since it's their money, but to me it seems ridiculous.
It's the 250 ohm 880. And yes, I prefer it too.post #33 of 353/8/13 at 3:36amQuote:Originally Posted by randybandicoot
It's been a while now since I purchased a pair of HD650's to go along with my DT880's. My conclusion? It's definitely worth owning both pairs, especially if you listen to a wide range of music under varied conditions.
The DT880 is an incredibly detailed and critical pair of headphones. In combination with some music, it demands attention. It is properly difficult for me to, say, read a book while listening to the DT880's. It has an uncanny ability to cut through a complicated or muddy mix and put things in sharp focus and gives well-recorded music an incredible sense of texture. Perhaps as an inevitable consequence, however, the DT880's have a tendency to bring out any flaws in the recording, and they make a huge deal out of even the most minor compression artifacts.
Especially when compared to the DT880's, the HD650's really do live up to their reputation as being laid-back. They're not as overt about rubbing the detail in your face, and they're not quite as quick. They do, however, have a much more forgiving sound. Some modern music, specifically some modern rock, is borderline unlistenable on the DT880's, but it sounds fine on the HD650's. It's not that they don't reproduce the flaws in the recording, they're just a lot less shouty about it. Perhaps the greatest thing about the HD650's is how they make everything sound good. A note about amping, the iBasso PB1 they were originally paired up with did an adequate job of driving them, but an upgrade to the more powerful PB2 gave them a truly impressive level of authority. The HD650's are definitely a headphone that likes to have a lot of power behind them.
The DT880's make me feel like I'm immersed in my music, and for that reason they remain my favorite headphones, but for a more casual listening experience, the HD650's are most definitely worth a look. They really are wonderful complements.
Randy, these are great impressions. I'm just interested to know if you owned both the DT880 and the HD650 at the same time (and were able to compare them directly) when you made these impressions? Thanks!!post #34 of 354/6/13 at 5:43am
I am both a owner of the HD650 and the ibasso PB2 and liked the OPA604's tonality, but for the buffer section, would you think that the stock Buf634U is enough? or better off using both the buf634U and P in stacking? thanks for you opinionpost #35 of 354/19/13 at 7:58pmThread StarterQuote:
Thank you! Yes, I did own them both at the same time. I still do, in fact. I've considered trading in one or the other at various points, but that pair still forms the backbone of my collection, and it's unlikely that'll change anytime soon.
I am incredibly fond of the AD797 with no buffer. Give it a try. I never understood what the HD650 could do until I tried that on a whim one day. Suffice it to say that my mind was utterly blown.
Edited by randybandicoot - 4/19/13 at 8:01pm
- DT880 and HD650 - Worth owning both?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 10 seconds ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 39 seconds ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 1 minute ago
- › 2014 Mstage HPA2 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › WTB:TungSol VT231 / 6SN7GT Round Plates, United Electronics 596... 3 minutes ago
- › I just got my first pair of Audiophile Headphones ATH-M50s I have a... 4 minutes ago
- › VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Would the asus xonar dg be able to power a pair of pc 350s se's? 5 minutes ago
- › MHDT Havana DAC 5 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by HeretixAevum
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by joe