Im wondering what the best in ear solution i can get for 250 US dollars. doesnt matter if its IEM's + portable amp and dac or whatever, as long as the price is around 250 =P im using an iPod Touch 4G as a source.
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 2/10/11
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 2/10/11
- productFischer Audio DBA-02tagged by System, 2/10/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE0 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 2/10/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 2/10/11
- productPhiaton PS 200 Sound Isolating In-Ear Earphones with Dual Micro Transducers (Woofer andTweeter)tagged by System, 2/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Ety's vs. Fischer? Last post on 9/21/12 at 3:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- looking for my first pair of nice iem Last post on 1/1/13 at 12:31pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Yet another "best IEM for ~€120 ($150)" thread Last post on 11/2/12 at 5:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 4/25/16 at 8:58am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Why dynamic drivers have better bass than BA drivers? Last post on 6/5/14 at 2:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Have you ever felt like the spark that used to be there just vanished? That the world, once bright and colorful became bland and dull over time? That you no longer feel the joy, the excitement and...
Work in progress. I need to practice my English a bit...
Heard these with Chord Hugo and boy oh boy was I unimpressed... These are not worth anywhere their price point where their sound is concerned. Decently comfortable though. (The sound signature...
I decided to write a short review after buying the second pair today. The first pair was damaged by a clumsy flight attendant and her heavy trolley... Although I was super happy with the E700M...
I thought about getting DFs as a present after passing driver's exams. Read those very few reviews online, which were generally a mixed back of helpfulness. Then I took the bullet and said, yes why...
Best portable in ear solution for 250buckspost #1 of 42/9/11 at 1:35pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 42/9/11 at 2:55pm
The thing I find with an iPod Touch 4G is that you're not going to find the best sound out of them straight through the headphone jack. I don't know WHAT it is, but music just sounds more "lively" through the Sony machines that I have. That's not to say you should get rid of your Touch, but recognise that as long as you use it straight out of the headphone jack it won't sound as good as it can be.
That being said, at 250 bucks you're looking at a some serious sound quality output. The truth is, a $250 IEM is going to be better than a $100 IEM and a $150 amp, unless that IEM is the RE-0. Oh yeah, that doesn't even include your interconnects/LODs. You also have to take portability into consideration. I don't know about you, but I buy portable players so I either A) slip them into my back pocket and chill on commutes or B) use the apps on the Touch. I don't like strapping on an amp, because it longer fits my definition of portable.
Now for the crux of this post: depending on the music you listen to, you'll gravitate towards different 'sound signatures'. As someone who listens to everything, I'm pretty happy with the Westone 3. It's just a fun set to listen to. Plenty of low end (so much more than expected for a balanced armature set) for dips into the "hip-hop" culture, and plenty of resolution for the faster pieces. Handles everything well. This fact, however, isn't stopping me from oggling a pair of Phiaton PS200 though. I sure could use less bass for some of the jazz that I listen to.
What's the moral of the story here? You're not going to find an ideal solution. You can find compromises though. So just read around head-fi! There's a good link >>HERE<< that you should check out. Just skip to whatever price range you're looking at, or go right to the numbers if you're a "too long; didn't read" type of dude. Good luck!post #3 of 42/9/11 at 2:58pm
Depends on what kind of sound you are looking for. Bassy, sparkly and fun? I recommend Panasonic HJE900. Generally neutral with some warmth and smoothness added to spice things up? I suggest Fischer Audio DBA-02. Neutral and accurate with very little to no coloration? Etymotic ER4 P/S is your best friend.post #4 of 42/10/11 at 12:04pmThread Starter
I posted this to try to learn more, and to figure out my x-mas gift(gotta start early) =D
as for music i listen to its mostly metal(almost all sub genres apart from core and nu) but also rap/hip hop, epic movie music, j-rock, j-pop, folk, folk rock and some more stuff..
I bought my first real IEM's(non chinese) about 7months ago and thats when portable music started getting fun. (the monster turbines cost 240bucks in norway, if your lucky you can find them for 200.. =S)
thanks for the help so far =DReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best portable in ear solution for 250bucks
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Techno, Electro & Underground Beats 26 seconds ago
- › Magaosi K3 PRO impressions and discussions thread. 29 seconds ago
- › Shozy Alien+ 59 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP 2 minutes ago
- › Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Linum update and the new Linum Super BaX on tour 5 minutes ago
- › Sparkos Labs SS3602 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear