Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amazing and Dynamic HE6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amazing and Dynamic HE6 - Page 3

post #31 of 334

I just wish that the B22 would properly drive them. I'd give it some serious thought.

post #32 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post

I just wish that the B22 would properly drive them. I'd give it some serious thought.



your b22 can't drive them?! is it 3 or 4 channels?

post #33 of 334

You are now making my decision that much harder. :(
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ex0du5 View Post

Well with an impedance of 50ohms, my D1 should be able to output 12W of power, which should be way more than enough. This DAC/Amp at 9 o'clock drives the HD 600 to louder than I would normally listen to. Not the best amp, and probably a poor match for the LCD-2, but at least it should do for the time being.
 

In the end, the ease of driving will likely lead me to get the LCD-2. But thanks to your review, the HE-6 are absolutely on my watchlist for future headphones.

 

Much appreciated.
 


 


Yes, you should be all set. I am driving them with a SS speaker amplifier that puts out 5 watts and 5 amperes in 50 ohms and it is more than enough. It controls them great and sound beautiful. Even my WA5-LE with 1.5 watts drives them great out of the high impedance output.

post #34 of 334

Thumbs up again.  And thank youl.

 

The only issue for us normal people is will our amps be up to the task.  I hope to keep my WA6 for a long time but it may not offer enough.

post #35 of 334


confused.gif

No.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex0du5 View Post

Well with an impedance of 50ohms, my D1 should be able to output 12W of power, which should be way more than enough. This DAC/Amp at 9 o'clock drives the HD 600 to louder than I would normally listen to. Not the best amp, and probably a poor match for the LCD-2, but at least it should do for the time being.
 

In the end, the ease of driving will likely lead me to get the LCD-2. But thanks to your review, the HE-6 are absolutely on my watchlist for future headphones.

 

Much appreciated.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex0du5 View Post


On second thought, I don't even know if my Maverick Audio D1 could even drive the HE-6, so it's probably not worth considering at this point. I believe it outputs around 1W @ 600 ohms. Maybe I'll consider them in the future.

 

Thanks for the review, Frank.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkhead View Post

I rarely stick my neck out but having owned the LCD2 - I think you would prefer the HE6
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex0du5 View Post

This is seriously making me consider getting the HE-6 instead of the LCD-2.

 

Given that I prefer the K702 over the HD600, I have a feeling the HE-6 may play more to my liking.


 

 

You need power to drive thesee the LCD2 much less so
 


 
post #36 of 334

 

Awesome review frank ! , thoroughly enjoyed reating it !  Makes me more confident of my HE6 purchase ! :)

 

@ex0du5 , where on earth did you read that Maverick D1 can output 12W in to 50ohm! ??  . I own a D1 and am selling them to fund my amp purchase ( for the HE6) . as far as i know Maverick D1 can put 1000mw in to 16ohm and 300mW in to 600 ohm . in all its not suited for HE6 at all ( power alone ).

 

 More over D1 with HE6 ! ?  you must invest in a good DAC , AMp for such great HP to sound good . D1 hardly do justice to my AKG K702.

 

 

post #37 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka1969 View Post

I just wish that the B22 would properly drive them. I'd give it some serious thought.



Even though I originally complained that my 3 board Beta 22 (gain 5) did not have quite enough power, I have reconsidered.  That was an early quick assessment using some older rock that was not recorded onto the CD as well as the newer CDs.  Also, I like rock loud.  With all the newer recordings and remaster CDs, the B22 is now my first choice, by far.  The sound quality from the B22 is noticably much better than the Marantz.  The B22 and my HE-6 is all that I have listening to for the last week and 1/2.  I do creep the volume up near max, but do not max it out except with a few 20 year old CDs.  Did I mention I like music loud?   

post #38 of 334

Let me add, great review Frank.  Thank you.

post #39 of 334

I didn't have access to a spec sheet. A review I looked at quoted 1000mw into 600ohm.

 

That's a load off. At least my decision is now easier!
 

I'm worrying about getting great headphones that I can run now. I will get better source/amp over time, which will help me to appreciate them a lot more. I am convinced that I'm better off spending $1000 on the LCD-2 and using them on my D1, as opposed to spending $500 on a set of HD650 and another $500 on a DAC/amp combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh View Post

 

Awesome review frank ! , thoroughly enjoyed reating it !  Makes me more confident of my HE6 purchase ! :)

 

@ex0du5 , where on earth did you read that Maverick D1 can output 12W in to 50ohm! ??  . I own a D1 and am selling them to fund my amp purchase ( for the HE6) . as far as i know Maverick D1 can put 1000mw in to 16ohm and 300mW in to 600 ohm . in all its not suited for HE6 at all ( power alone ).

 

 More over D1 with HE6 ! ?  you must invest in a good DAC , AMp for such great HP to sound good . D1 hardly do justice to my AKG K702.

 

 

post #40 of 334

No offense Frank but your "review" is far too positive and gushing. 

post #41 of 334

Agreed, I didn't want to be the first one to say it.  Enjoy the headphones though. :)  I'll wait for more critical ears to give their opinions unless I get lucky and hear it at a meet sometime soon before deciding to plunk down the cash for this.  People with similar tastes to myself told me the HE5 wasn't very good, so I'm more skeptical about this headphone than the other recent expensive releases.

post #42 of 334

you cant compare the he5 to the he6..  apples to oranges

post #43 of 334

Oh they're that different?  I guess it's more skepticism in the company than anything.  I wouldn't be surprised if I thought it sounded great or like crap when I eventually hear it. :p

post #44 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

Agreed, I didn't want to be the first one to say it.  Enjoy the headphones though. :)  I'll wait for more critical ears to give their opinions unless I get lucky and hear it at a meet sometime soon before deciding to plunk down the cash for this.  People with similar tastes to myself told me the HE5 wasn't very good, so I'm more skeptical about this headphone than the other recent expensive releases.

 


Well, on the surface there are some similarities, but with the right amp the HE-6 mids and imaging are much better with the HE-6 than the original HE-5, the treble is smoother, and the bass is tighter and better controlled.  I have been using the HE-6 in my bedroom rig more than any of my other full size phones lately even though I still like my O2 Mk1/WES combo more, partly because my O2 rig is buried in the basement and I don't spend as much time down there.  But I could just as easily be grabbing my HE-5, HE-5 LE, LCD-2, HD800 or LA7000 and I'm not.

post #45 of 334

I guess it isn't just me then. I listened to the EH-6 all day today. Blues and rock, mostly live, and on the well recorded stuff, it was a delight. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Amazing and Dynamic HE6