Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 56

post #826 of 4678

Welcome back. My quest into audiophile world begun with ER4S. Thinking that if this fairly inexpensive unit can offer such detail how would headphones and IEMs many times its price would sound like. I have never bought any custom IEM but recently I purchased an IEM with a retail price of 799 AUD and simply put ER4S is able to compete with that in almost all levels! I dont think ER4S will ever die.

 

They are so good that a company in japan has made a more efficent version of them, the fit ear go 111. Have a read about it, you might like it. I am saving for that at the moment. I have realized that the sound signature I enjoy is what i hear from ER4S and I can safely say my search is over. 

post #827 of 4678
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

It is, I am still amazed on how good it is on few key things compared to IEM multiple times its price!


Me too
post #828 of 4678

Thanks, guys!

 

Now I'm sure I'll buy them!

 

beerchug.gif

post #829 of 4678
Quote:
Originally Posted by roll-man View Post

It's great to know that once the smoke had cleared from the hype machine, the Ety's still have a place among head-fiers, and that they still hold their own in the world of high end audio.

Yeah. They're aren't as good as Beats earphones, of course, but they're OK.
post #830 of 4678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post


Yeah. They're aren't as good as Beats earphones, of course, but they're OK.

eek.gif

post #831 of 4678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post


Yeah. They're aren't as good as Beats earphones, of course, but they're OK.

confused_face_2.gifbiggrin.gif

post #832 of 4678
After beginning my Head-fi journey upgrading from Skullcandy Ink'd earphones to Head Direct RE2 with a Fiio amp, I stumbled into a lot of information about the Etymotic ER4. Because I was still in college I couldn't afford the retail price and continuously scoured the FS forums here for a deal. One came along for an ER4P for $115 and I never looked back. Best $115 I have ever spent, and three years later they are still going wrong and constantly amaze me.

Love reading this thread!
post #833 of 4678

ER6i put me on the Ety train.

 

I liked the ER4P so much, that after losing them TWICE, i kept buying more.  amazon had run a great deal on them -- 170$ -- so it was no big deal.  

 

then they priced it back to MSRP and i started diversifying again.. this time into ATH-CK10 which i had to source from japan.  still my personal #1 and #2 of all time

post #834 of 4678
Guys how do I install the UE cable with the S adapters? Do the "R" and "L" on the cable face outward or inward, or does it matter?
post #835 of 4678

it may seem puzzling at first but in fact you can't fail.

take your left er4 and put it in your ear. the adapter looking where your eyes look.  ok? then you take your left cable and you know the cable will go upward to go over the ear.

there you got the right positioning to plug it in. you just take the intra out of your ear keeping the positioning and plug it in.

 

i don't have this cable anymore but i believe i ended up with the L and R facing me (not the exterior) when i put them on. (but i m not 100/100 sure about this, when i m sure about my first way)

 

hope i was clear enough

post #836 of 4678
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post

it may seem puzzling at first but in fact you can't fail.

take your left er4 and put it in your ear. the adapter looking where your eyes look.  ok? then you take your left cable and you know the cable will go upward to go over the ear.

there you got the right positioning to plug it in. you just take the intra out of your ear keeping the positioning and plug it in.

 

i don't have this cable anymore but i believe i ended up with the L and R facing me (not the exterior) when i put them on. (but i m not 100/100 sure about this, when i m sure about my first way)

 

hope i was clear enough

 

Thanks for responding. The ear guides on the cable were straight when I received them, so they could go in either direction really. I've got everything plugged in and ready, and I have the "L" and "R" facing outwards. Not sure if it matters. 

 

Also I'm not sure the ear guides are helping anything. Is it possible to remove the ear guides from the UE cable? Anyone? I could just use some small scissors...

post #837 of 4678

I'm very interested in the etymotic ER-4 becasue I'm looking for an IEM with a lot of isolation, clarity, resolution, and treble quantity. There's one thing that worries me though, I will be using my IEMs for portable use and most of my music is from itunes. Since the ER-4 is known to be very unforgiving, will it make my music sound bad? Is it worth getting the ER-4 if I will be listening to itunes songs? 

post #838 of 4678
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

I'm very interested in the etymotic ER-4 becasue I'm looking for an IEM with a lot of isolation, clarity, resolution, and treble quantity. There's one thing that worries me though, I will be using my IEMs for portable use and most of my music is from itunes. Since the ER-4 is known to be very unforgiving, will it make my music sound bad? Is it worth getting the ER-4 if I will be listening to itunes songs? 

That depends on what quality the sounds are. 320kbps? 128? 256? :P

post #839 of 4678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalithian View Post

That depends on what quality the sounds are. 320kbps? 128? 256? :P

itunes is 256 AAC. From what I've read, 256 AAC is really close to 320kbps.

post #840 of 4678
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

itunes is 256 AAC. From what I've read, 256 AAC is really close to 320kbps.

 

I think it should be fine, and then it will just depend more on the recording. Some recordings are just poorly mixed/mastered and no matter the quality, it will sound bad on the Ety's.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...