Changing the cable's the only thing - they're just very microphonic cables.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Do in-ear earphones cause damage to ears? Last post on 12/14/13 at 10:14am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic ER 4 S vs ER 4 PT Last post on 11/19/13 at 9:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Christmas gift for sister who wants best headphones for air travel - getting her Bose QC15 and... Last post on 11/9/13 at 1:34am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Upgrade cables for Etymotic ER-4PT? Last post on 11/12/13 at 5:55am in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- What Schitt Amp to use with Etymotic ER 4S Last post on 10/27/13 at 5:08pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
Since the Gamma y2 is a DIY project I'm not going to comment on the build quality as its dependent on the builder. The Sound The sound of the y2 varies on how it was built. Mine is using...
I just thought I'd write up a review on these headphones. They did a bit getting used to, because the reproduction of sound is so clear and even. Like getting used to a pair of studio monitors...
Its cheap, I got my blue ones for 6 dollars, it sounds good consider, and it is very light weight. I do not know why some people insist this pair is better than 50-100 dollar headphones, it's...
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
Do not buy an Astell & Kern 120. It claims 192Gb memory, but it indexes and uses only the internal memory - 64gb. The external SD cards carry files but do not show up on the device. Money spent...
If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 47post #692 of 342910/27/12 at 2:54amQuote:Originally Posted by Dragunov-21
You have an amp, so you'd go the ER-4S for the "blacker" noise floor and (IMO) very slightly better sound over the 4P.
The 4B has a slight boost to treble around the 10kHz region, but I can't see why you'd want that in a phone that's already revealing and treble-centric.
The PT is just a P with some useless bits and a higher pricetag.
Thanks!post #693 of 342910/27/12 at 9:00ampost #694 of 342910/27/12 at 2:20pmpost #695 of 342910/27/12 at 2:51pm
"Teaspoon of Cement", by "HTFU Audio". :P
In seriousness, though they are very microphonic, I just use the shirt-clip and find it acceptable. I haven't changed the cable.post #696 of 342910/27/12 at 5:02pm
this guy sells adapters so you can use whatever cable you want (except the default one ofc)
with this you can put the cable behind the ear and forget microphonics.
only drawback is if you put them really really deep then the 90° angle can be a problem.post #697 of 342910/27/12 at 5:15pm
Actually, that's something I forgot to mention - something that can improve microphonic isolation is to wrap the cable around the back of your ears, over to the front (opposite to most configs).
Whether or not that's comfortable for you might be different, but still ;)post #698 of 342911/2/12 at 5:03pm
Anyone care to try these eq settings on an er4? Head-fier bias posted that link in the sound science forum. It calls for -5dB at 2.5kHz and -8dB at 7.5kHz to correct for both resonance and FR boost in the er4s. I'm trying this on the er-6 as I type this.
Edit (copied from SS forum): Initial impressions are that it sounds somehow flatter. I expected it to muffle the sound a lot more than it did, but the overall effect takes a bit of high frequency emphasis off of vocals and certain drums without impacting much else. I will experiment with more tracks, but so far it is a very impressive effect imo.
Edited by gnarlsagan - 11/2/12 at 5:17pmpost #699 of 342911/5/12 at 9:59am
when i want an "easy listening er4" aka "don't hurt me when i push the volume a little" i do lower around those frequencies, but -1 and -2. not -5 and -8
i tried for science and humanity, but it sounds very much like something i wouldn't want even for free.post #700 of 342911/5/12 at 10:53amQuote:
Awesome thanks for sharing your impressions. The theory is that everyone's preferences will be different. I'm still messing with the eq and I suspect that -5 and -8 is a bit much for me too.post #701 of 342911/5/12 at 5:44pmpost #702 of 342911/7/12 at 12:11amQuote:
Surprisingly less sensitive in my case. I mean definitely noticeable but not at all like adding dB.post #703 of 342911/8/12 at 5:51ampost #704 of 342911/8/12 at 1:53pmpost #705 of 342911/8/12 at 2:13pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Music Game IX 20 seconds ago
- › Headphones for a Guy with a Large Head or what I think is a large head 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Altmann Tera Player — Impressions, Reviews & Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Any over-ear closed headphone with great metal/rock signature???? 1 minute ago
- › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison 4 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.6 4 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 5 minutes ago
- › Sinegen download....something that actually works!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe