Changing the cable's the only thing - they're just very microphonic cables.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Etymotic ER4-PT, Musical Fidelity EB50 comparison? Last post on 5/13/14 at 5:30am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New Eymotics ER-4PT for Bill Last post on 3/24/14 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- UE-900, SE-425, ER-4PT, SE-215 IEM's for sale. All prices negotiable. Last post on 3/11/14 at 3:50pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Which Etymotics for me? Last post on 12/31/13 at 8:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Do in-ear earphones cause damage to ears? Last post on 12/21/13 at 9:19am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
INTRODUCTION Build quality is excellent. This is my second headphone review.M40x is a recent release from Audio Technica,it is a...
PACKAGING : Earphones cames with a nice little box and 2 pair of white foamies (1 pair of donut and 1 pair of classic covered). I’m always using donuts one since it provides some slightly more...
If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 47
Gear mentioned in this thread:
You have an amp, so you'd go the ER-4S for the "blacker" noise floor and (IMO) very slightly better sound over the 4P.
The 4B has a slight boost to treble around the 10kHz region, but I can't see why you'd want that in a phone that's already revealing and treble-centric.
The PT is just a P with some useless bits and a higher pricetag.
"Teaspoon of Cement", by "HTFU Audio". :P
In seriousness, though they are very microphonic, I just use the shirt-clip and find it acceptable. I haven't changed the cable.
this guy sells adapters so you can use whatever cable you want (except the default one ofc)
with this you can put the cable behind the ear and forget microphonics.
only drawback is if you put them really really deep then the 90° angle can be a problem.
Actually, that's something I forgot to mention - something that can improve microphonic isolation is to wrap the cable around the back of your ears, over to the front (opposite to most configs).
Whether or not that's comfortable for you might be different, but still ;)
Anyone care to try these eq settings on an er4? Head-fier bias posted that link in the sound science forum. It calls for -5dB at 2.5kHz and -8dB at 7.5kHz to correct for both resonance and FR boost in the er4s. I'm trying this on the er-6 as I type this.
Edit (copied from SS forum): Initial impressions are that it sounds somehow flatter. I expected it to muffle the sound a lot more than it did, but the overall effect takes a bit of high frequency emphasis off of vocals and certain drums without impacting much else. I will experiment with more tracks, but so far it is a very impressive effect imo.
Edited by gnarlsagan - 11/2/12 at 5:17pm
when i want an "easy listening er4" aka "don't hurt me when i push the volume a little" i do lower around those frequencies, but -1 and -2. not -5 and -8
i tried for science and humanity, but it sounds very much like something i wouldn't want even for free.
Awesome thanks for sharing your impressions. The theory is that everyone's preferences will be different. I'm still messing with the eq and I suspect that -5 and -8 is a bit much for me too.
That kind of notch cutting is a bit much. Human hearing is less sensitive to cuts compared to peaks, and that might be why this person decided to cut it so steeply.
Surprisingly less sensitive in my case. I mean definitely noticeable but not at all like adding dB.
- If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
- › DragonFly 1.2 small issue,, please help.. 9 seconds ago
- › Portable Headphone Amplifier "WAGNUS Bialbero Epsilon S" impression... 40 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Oh Schiit, it's the end of the world! Announcing Ragnarok. 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of your speaker setup! 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 3 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 4 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by eke2k6
- › ASUS Essence III by 00lunar
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)