Changing the cable's the only thing - they're just very microphonic cables.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need some suggestion's for iem's Last post on 2/12/15 at 9:19am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Offers Welcome - Etymotic ER-4 MicroPro, ER4 P to S Conversion Cable and accessories - standard... Last post on 2/2/15 at 10:22pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- SOLD - Etymotic Research ER-4PT- with all packaging and accessories Last post on 2/10/15 at 2:16pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Which one? Etymotic ER-4PT/S , Noble PR or Aurisonics ASG-1+ Last post on 1/26/15 at 6:29pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic ER4PT with ER4P to ER4S Cable - SALE PENDING to countolaf Last post on 4/11/15 at 5:13am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
These are easy to use and pair quickly with your device. The sound quality - lows, mids, and highs are excellent provided a good seal with the ear. Good bluetooth range, battery life, and comfort....
If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 47
Gear mentioned in this thread:
You have an amp, so you'd go the ER-4S for the "blacker" noise floor and (IMO) very slightly better sound over the 4P.
The 4B has a slight boost to treble around the 10kHz region, but I can't see why you'd want that in a phone that's already revealing and treble-centric.
The PT is just a P with some useless bits and a higher pricetag.
"Teaspoon of Cement", by "HTFU Audio". :P
In seriousness, though they are very microphonic, I just use the shirt-clip and find it acceptable. I haven't changed the cable.
this guy sells adapters so you can use whatever cable you want (except the default one ofc)
with this you can put the cable behind the ear and forget microphonics.
only drawback is if you put them really really deep then the 90° angle can be a problem.
Actually, that's something I forgot to mention - something that can improve microphonic isolation is to wrap the cable around the back of your ears, over to the front (opposite to most configs).
Whether or not that's comfortable for you might be different, but still ;)
Anyone care to try these eq settings on an er4? Head-fier bias posted that link in the sound science forum. It calls for -5dB at 2.5kHz and -8dB at 7.5kHz to correct for both resonance and FR boost in the er4s. I'm trying this on the er-6 as I type this.
Edit (copied from SS forum): Initial impressions are that it sounds somehow flatter. I expected it to muffle the sound a lot more than it did, but the overall effect takes a bit of high frequency emphasis off of vocals and certain drums without impacting much else. I will experiment with more tracks, but so far it is a very impressive effect imo.
Edited by gnarlsagan - 11/2/12 at 5:17pm
when i want an "easy listening er4" aka "don't hurt me when i push the volume a little" i do lower around those frequencies, but -1 and -2. not -5 and -8
i tried for science and humanity, but it sounds very much like something i wouldn't want even for free.
Awesome thanks for sharing your impressions. The theory is that everyone's preferences will be different. I'm still messing with the eq and I suspect that -5 and -8 is a bit much for me too.
Surprisingly less sensitive in my case. I mean definitely noticeable but not at all like adding dB.
- If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › HeadAmp Pico DAC/Amp - Silver, Brand New, Australia 2 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Impressions Thread! August 29-30, 2015! 2 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 2 minutes ago
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes partners with Null-Audio for new line of... 2 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 5 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 6 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 7 minutes ago
- › Some questions about settings (sample rate, latency, etc.) for an... 8 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 12 minutes ago
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2