Changing the cable's the only thing - they're just very microphonic cables.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Etymotic ER4-PT, Musical Fidelity EB50 comparison? Last post on 5/13/14 at 5:30am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New Eymotics ER-4PT for Bill Last post on 3/24/14 at 6:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- UE-900, SE-425, ER-4PT, SE-215 IEM's for sale. All prices negotiable. Last post on 3/11/14 at 3:50pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Which Etymotics for me? Last post on 12/31/13 at 8:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Do in-ear earphones cause damage to ears? Last post on 12/21/13 at 9:19am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 47
Gear mentioned in this thread:
You have an amp, so you'd go the ER-4S for the "blacker" noise floor and (IMO) very slightly better sound over the 4P.
The 4B has a slight boost to treble around the 10kHz region, but I can't see why you'd want that in a phone that's already revealing and treble-centric.
The PT is just a P with some useless bits and a higher pricetag.
"Teaspoon of Cement", by "HTFU Audio". :P
In seriousness, though they are very microphonic, I just use the shirt-clip and find it acceptable. I haven't changed the cable.
this guy sells adapters so you can use whatever cable you want (except the default one ofc)
with this you can put the cable behind the ear and forget microphonics.
only drawback is if you put them really really deep then the 90° angle can be a problem.
Actually, that's something I forgot to mention - something that can improve microphonic isolation is to wrap the cable around the back of your ears, over to the front (opposite to most configs).
Whether or not that's comfortable for you might be different, but still ;)
Anyone care to try these eq settings on an er4? Head-fier bias posted that link in the sound science forum. It calls for -5dB at 2.5kHz and -8dB at 7.5kHz to correct for both resonance and FR boost in the er4s. I'm trying this on the er-6 as I type this.
Edit (copied from SS forum): Initial impressions are that it sounds somehow flatter. I expected it to muffle the sound a lot more than it did, but the overall effect takes a bit of high frequency emphasis off of vocals and certain drums without impacting much else. I will experiment with more tracks, but so far it is a very impressive effect imo.
Edited by gnarlsagan - 11/2/12 at 5:17pm
when i want an "easy listening er4" aka "don't hurt me when i push the volume a little" i do lower around those frequencies, but -1 and -2. not -5 and -8
i tried for science and humanity, but it sounds very much like something i wouldn't want even for free.
Awesome thanks for sharing your impressions. The theory is that everyone's preferences will be different. I'm still messing with the eq and I suspect that -5 and -8 is a bit much for me too.
That kind of notch cutting is a bit much. Human hearing is less sensitive to cuts compared to peaks, and that might be why this person decided to cut it so steeply.
Surprisingly less sensitive in my case. I mean definitely noticeable but not at all like adding dB.
- If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
- › New guy, looking for suggestions sub $250 (Not your standard request) 6 seconds ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 28 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 29 seconds ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement 1 minute ago
- › Amarra 3.0 2 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio Nano iDSD announced 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › The Pineapple Hate Club (TPHC)! 2 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)