Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 45

post #661 of 4677

Yeah, I got the small olives. Mediums are too big.

post #662 of 4677
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Ok, so I got out my swiss army knife,and tried to place strategic holes in the triples...no dice. So, I just decided to go to town of the tips. The holes aren't even large (or visible), but they made no difference.

 

I looked in my tip drawer and found one pair of Shure Olives left over from my SE215 days, and followed the advice to squish them before inserting. It works well enough, except that I have very stuffed-feeling canals now. It's worth it now that I'm getting balanced sound. 

 

Thanks for the advice guys. You saved my warranty.

as far as i know foam tip is the only way to get 0 pressure trouble and still get bass. Comply foams are the only ones i can really use for many hours, the only thing is to get medium and small size to know the one you need. big is a no go if you already don't feel comfortable with olive type.

only real drawback: you can't really clean them so it becomes an audio budget on its own.

 

the venting idea would give you a treble only iem as the pressure to make you hear bass must be pretty big. thing you can't get without seal, or big ass drivers.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerweed View Post

I own the ER4P and bought the adapters for over the ear but decided to stick with wearing them down. Anyone want them for $25 shipped CONUS? I paid $37 on ebay. They are brand new. I would have used the FS forum but this seems so specific no one would see it. Really for Ety 4P owners only.


you mean the adapter to use ciem cable on the er4? if so say it cause it would probably interest more people than the "over the ear easiness" feature :)


Edited by castleofargh - 10/14/12 at 10:13am
post #663 of 4677
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post

as far as i know foam tip is the only way to get 0 pressure trouble and still get bass. Comply foams are the only ones i can really use for many hours, the only thing is to get medium and small size to know the one you need. big is a no go if you already don't feel comfortable with olive type.

only real drawback: you can't really clean them so it becomes an audio budget on its own.

 

the venting idea would give you a treble only iem as the pressure to make you hear bass must be pretty big. thing you can't get without seal, or big ass drivers.


Everyone's ears are different. I use large Comply's and they fit great.

 

To clean them, put them in your pants pocket and throw them in the laundry.

post #664 of 4677
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post
Everyone's ears are different. I use large Comply's and they fit great.

 

To clean them, put them in your pants pocket and throw them in the laundry.

 

sure mate, i discarded the big ones only because he seems to already feel too much pressure from the shure olive tips.

i didn't look them side by side but i m pretty sure the big comply foams are bigger than those olive tips.

 

i think i ll try the "in my pants" technique . even if it gives me 1more month per tip, it would be worth it. thx for the idea.

 

 

listening to alan parsons project right now!!!!! thx for the subliminal suggestion to ;)


Edited by castleofargh - 10/14/12 at 10:20am
post #665 of 4677

My old Ety's with the APureSound cable! Gone but not forgotten! Possibly the finest earphones I have owned; or is that simply down to rose tinted ears? 

 

post #666 of 4677

I'd love to try that cable...

post #667 of 4677
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

I looked in my tip drawer and found one pair of Shure Olives left over from my SE215 days, and followed the advice to squish them before inserting. It works well enough, except that I have very stuffed-feeling canals now.

 

Depending on ear canal shape and insertion depth, Shure Olives may fit better and give you less of a stuffed feeling, if you wear them reversed (with the wide end first). Might be worth a try.

post #668 of 4677
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

 

Depending on ear canal shape and insertion depth, Shure Olives may fit better and give you less of a stuffed feeling, if you wear them reversed (with the wide end first). Might be worth a try.

 

Thanks, that helped a lot.

 

It's funny how counter-intuitive that is.

post #669 of 4677

As my name suggests, the ER4 is my favorite thing to put in or on my ears.  Always have been, always will be.  They were my first IEM, and I will own them till the end of time, or I drop dead, whichever comes first.

 

It's too bad though that they are so underrated.  I guess when you don't change with the times, or continue to add additional drivers (ie JH Audio or UE, from 2, to 5, to 7, to 10, to 16) consumers forget how awesome your original product is and always has been.  I've been a member of HF since 2003.  That's almost 9 years next month.  And I've owned my Etys before then.

 

When I had the custom tips made, I bought an extra pair just in case.

 

I don't know if it has been mentioned already as I haven't read this thread, but I know they were originally not intended for the retail consumer.  They were developed for performers, as most IEM's were.  I'm sure Dr. Killian never thought his IEM's would one day be plugged into an iPod.

 

And btw, it's pronounced EDDYS RULE
 

post #670 of 4677

Me too, I've moved on to the bigger and "better" stuff, and ended up where I started. Eddys do rule

post #671 of 4677

A Pure Sound actually replied to an email?  Shocking.

post #672 of 4677

I am still in search of a good tube amp. I found my SS amp for this however tube is just a hard task, one of these days I will find it. 

And couldnt agree more with etys rule. The ER4S are the only IEM I never sold or thought of selling. 

post #673 of 4677

Selling my ER4 would feel like selling my arm. They are a part of me now. 

post #674 of 4677
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

They are a part of me now. 

 

Yeah, because you wear them like a temporal jack :P

post #675 of 4677

There have been many, many pretenders to the throne but the ER4S remain the king of earphones for me! I have recently reacquired the 4S after a long absence and it has reasserted itself at the top of the IEM pile; they sound astonishing straight out of the clip+, no amp! Been listening to U.F.Orb just now and the only other time I have heard it with as much clarity and balance was from a LP12/Ekos/Helikon/Linto/O2 which cost about £12,000! My Clip+ and second hand 4S cost £140...:) I like my UE11 but the Ety's are something special. I raise my glass of mead and drink a toast to Mead Killion!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...