Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 351

post #5251 of 5258
True your way looks very clean.


I dont know like i said i get get little microphonics with the er4's the straight cable er4s probably give the least microphonics whilist the twisted er4p's i have do give some per they are slightly stiffer and this might be where other people are getting the microphonics but if you wear the cable clip up on your shirt this helps to eliminate alot of microphonics. Wear the clip too low the leads can rub if you wear the high enough this can eliminate the leads to the from rubbing. Just my .02
post #5252 of 5258
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamthinker View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post


Although not "as" attractive looking, this CAN be done with the old straight cable as well. I've done it myself before. You just need to not bed it as tightly.

What about just putting the cable over your ear without attaching it to anything?

Looks awkward, creating big loops around the ears, but it should put less long term strain on the cable. Am I wrong?


I have done that, yes, when I'm not in public. :-P I don't stress the cables at all. I make sure the bend is sufficiently large. But it can be done while still looking reasonable. The new cable is probably better in this regard though.

 

I want to mention once more the cord-lock I made on mine. I find it helps avoid cable noise very nicely, because it holds the cables together right up to your neck. So they aren't flailing around as much. I highly recommend this along with the shirt clip if you so need it. I use my er4s without problems and I don't normally go around the ears. I don't find it necessary.

 

You can see the cord-lock in this photo.


Edited by luisdent - Yesterday at 10:02 am
post #5253 of 5258
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 


I have done that, yes, when I'm not in public. :-P I don't stress the cables at all. I make sure the bend is sufficiently large. But it can be done while still looking reasonable. The new cable is probably better in this regard though.

 

I want to mention once more the cord-lock I made on mine. I find it helps avoid cable noise very nicely, because it holds the cables together right up to your neck. So they aren't flailing around as much. I highly recommend this along with the shirt clip if you so need it. I use my er4s without problems and I don't normally go around the ears. I don't find it necessary.

 

You can see the cord-lock in this photo.

cordlock (Click to show)

 

 

I have used it in public...(some of us carry DAPs as which look like little bombs - so this shouldn't be to big of an issue)...but after a while I found that putting the cable around ones neck is much more subtle and almost as effective (especially with a scarf).

 

What is the cord lock made of?

post #5254 of 5258

Love the clean highs of the Etys 

post #5255 of 5258
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamthinker View Post
 

What is the cord lock made of?

 

Actually, I rolled a small cut section of an index card around the cables and then cut some scotch tape and wrapped it around a bunch. It gives it a firm quality while allowing it to move nicely. It works as well as any cord look I've seen surprisingly.

 

I use heat shrink around this on my re-cables I do which is really nice too. I also play with other materials, and the heat shrink works very well if you heat it up a lot around the abject and then only snug where the edges hand off the underlying object and on the cable. That lets it grip the cable while still moving nicely. But for the er4s you'd have to take the housings off to do that, and I haven't wanted to do that. Although, now that they are off, maybe it's time to do it. :-P

post #5256 of 5258
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

Actually, I rolled a small cut section of an index card around the cables and then cut some scotch tape and wrapped it around a bunch. It gives it a firm quality while allowing it to move nicely. It works as well as any cord look I've seen surprisingly.

 

I use heat shrink around this on my re-cables I do which is really nice too. I also play with other materials, and the heat shrink works very well if you heat it up a lot around the abject and then only snug where the edges hand off the underlying object and on the cable. That lets it grip the cable while still moving nicely. But for the er4s you'd have to take the housings off to do that, and I haven't wanted to do that. Although, now that they are off, maybe it's time to do it. :-P

On the photo it looked more like plastic...looks good.

I may consider it for when the microphonics become to annoying.

 

Your housing is off?

post #5257 of 5258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustachian View Post
 

Love the clean highs of the Etys 

i love the clean everything about the ER4's i got some westone w4r's today and i cannot barely listen to them, its almost like listening to mudd compared to the er4's, the mids are muddled the highs are muddled the low are ok, they feel dark, veiled to me, im listening to the w4r looking at 3 pairs of ER4'S like why am i doing this to myself haha. i even have a pair of se535 and ultimate ears triple fi 10 that havent been touched because the er4's have gotten me so. i kinda wanted to branch out even though i know once you had the taste of blood (er4) nothing else satisfies.

post #5258 of 5258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses9 View Post

i love the clean everything about the ER4's i got some westone w4r's today and i cannot barely listen to them, its almost like listening to mudd compared to the er4's, the mids are muddled the highs are muddled the low are ok, they feel dark, veiled to me, im listening to the w4r looking at 3 pairs of ER4'S like why am i doing this to myself haha. i even have a pair of se535 and ultimate ears triple fi 10 that havent been touched because the er4's have gotten me so. i kinda wanted to branch out even though i know once you had the taste of blood (er4) nothing else satisfies.

Doesn't the W4r also have considerable phasing issues (vs. the single BA ER4)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...