Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 329

post #4921 of 4934
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post
 

IMO you can get good sound with almost any tip(for some it might require a tad of EQ still). but the sad truth is that there always is a sweet spot to find, and getting it on both ears can be a real challenge. the strength of the triple flange to me is that you go up to the second bend, put the tip of the tip neatly around there(also makes for a mad isolation at that point) and you're done.

with other tips you just don't know where to go until you test for yourself and get used to finding that sweet spot again. so it takes real practice.

I personally don't like flanges, so triple service of that .... no thank you. but I admit they are the most convenient tips if you can stand them.

 

I think most tips sound similar if you can get the same fit/seal, etc. However, the comply tips cut the treble response in a negative way, so I don't believe you can ever achieve the same sound with those. Not that they're bad, but not the same. Even the ety foam sounds better when fit well.

 

But the triple flange can be made into a double flange :)


well I use comply on every single IEM I own, except on hf5 and er4(for mc5 I go with comply, treble aren't there anyway). so I might not be in the best place to say you're wrong ^_^.

 

I use them a lot too, and on some iems they actually improve the sound, however with the er4s i believe they do not. I used to think there was little difference between those and the silicon tips with the right fit. Only after months of using the comply foam tips (old and new tips) and then switching to the triple flange to test again was the treble difference incredibly obvious. The comply foam cripples the instrument separation and attack dynamics a bit which makes them sound dull in comparison. I will never use them again. I always heard a difference, but it seems small. However, it's hard to do quick a/b comparisons with the er4s. So after a a long time getting used to them it was easier to tell.

post #4922 of 4934
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamthinker View Post
 

 

To be honest, i am not very sure what those seem to be.

Sorry.

 

Fourth one down, the description is: "Speakers & Transducers Plug 2.08 dia. 2200 Res, Red"

 

Those are the red filters that go in the end of the barrel of the ER4. Stock filters are green.

post #4923 of 4934
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

 

Fourth one down, the description is: "Speakers & Transducers Plug 2.08 dia. 2200 Res, Red"

 

Those are the red filters that go in the end of the barrel of the ER4. Stock filters are green.

 

Thanks for the info. Thanks.

 

Currently shopping is a bit inconvenient for me. So i'll have to wait.

post #4924 of 4934
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamthinker View Post
 

 

To be honest, i am not very sure what those seem to be.

Sorry.


I'm with you there - didn't see anything red on that page..

 

 

Okay - I just got my first set of ER4P's I have ever tried - Mint pair for $125 to my door - great deal - doesn't look like they have been used - had to try them. I have always had issues with universal IEMs - and never could get triple-flanges to work in my ear... BUT - I just inserted the IEM with the grey triples and at first it seemed like insertion was going to be like every IEM before it until - it slipped in further! Never happened before - must be because these are so small...

 

I couldn't hear a thing - um, I guess this is isolation - I have customs and I guess this is isolation... wow.

 

So I played some of my better recorded tunes and got just about what I expected and maybe a bit more. I knew the bass wasn't going to be the equal of my JH16's - goes without saying - but the bass is punchy and the rest is crystal clear... I am going to have to spend some time with these... 

 

I am amazed I got a deep insertion - never before happened. 

post #4925 of 4934
I bought er4s only a few weeks ago and needed some time to learn to really appreciate their sq. Compared to hf5 I find them superior only for short listening sessions (1-2 hours) and only when not moving around. The hf5 are just much more comfortable, approximately to the same degree as ba200 are more comfortable than hf5. The most problematic issues for me are the following:
1. Deep insertion is more difficult and painful, doesn't go as deep in my right ear compared to left ear
2. Over the ear wear is more difficult and doesn't fully eliminate cable noise, they also stick out too much
I guess these will be my preferred summer and travel phones, but hf5 and ba200 will be my everyday on-the-go and office phones and my real headphones will be used at home (except for summer). I love them more than hf5, but also hate them more. The love-to-hate ratio is worse than for hf5. Maybe this is true love?
post #4926 of 4934
Quote:
Originally Posted by headdict View Post

I love them more than hf5, but also hate them more. The love-to-hate ratio is worse than for hf5. Maybe this is true love?

You haven't given them a female name yet, have you? Mine are named Gretchen... :etysmile:

post #4927 of 4934

I just found this thread.  About 8 years after I became a fan or the er4.  :-)  They were my first foray into audiophile IEMs and will always hold a special place in my heart, as well as in my ears.  

post #4928 of 4934
I hesitate to post stuff like this here because I don't want it to look like advertising, but I wanted to show the latest song I recorded because I mixed and mastered it almost completely using the er4s. smily_headphones1.gif I only spot checked it on my studio monitors. All the mixing and tweaking was done with the er4s, red filters and a touch of bass EQ to even out the response down low.

http://youtu.be/RKL7vfe9h24
post #4929 of 4934
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

I hesitate to post stuff like this here because I don't want it to look like advertising, but I wanted to show the latest song I recorded because I mixed and mastered it almost completely using the er4s. smily_headphones1.gif I only spot checked it on my studio monitors. All the mixing and tweaking was done with the er4s, red filters and a touch of bass EQ to even out the response down low.

http://youtu.be/RKL7vfe9h24


Musically not really my thing...but it's definitely well produced! Well done mate.

 

Orange filters BTW

post #4930 of 4934

I have got to thank Etymotic for teaching me something about IEM tips - I have had a hell of a time getting universal IEMs to fit well - I have always used the largest diameter tip I could find because I have this sharp angle in my ear canal - nothing really ever got past this turn except customs (what a revelation!) - but as I posted before, I got a good deal on some ER4P's - and put on the triples and tried to get a seal - it wasn't working, until I pressed just a bit harder than I have ever pressed and they slipped in further - I got the famous Etymotic seal and isolation. Now these triples wouldn't fit any of my other universals except my SE846, which I have no problem with because Westone makes a long tip that seals my ear opening fine. The next day decided to order some triples with a larger bore to fit my 6-7mm (something like that) nozzled universals....

 

They arrived today and they worked - My V8 sealed perfectly, my 1+2 sealed perfectly, my Mentor and Merlin universals fit perfectly. Bass that I thought was sufficient was greatly increased. Soundstages got bigger, dynamics got more dynamic - hell, I just got 4-5 new sets of headphones... (and lost one because that's how I found out my HX-FA850 lost a channel)

 

Not to say this is the cure all for everyone - and I could get a decent seal most of the time before after many minutes of fiddling - but this is a new ballgame - just a little more pressure (and a little saliva) and I have some listening to do....

 

Thanks Etymotic!

 

(oh, and if anyone knows where to get triples with the larger bore that are maybe a bit stiffer than the soft silicone of my Amazon tips, that would be even better!)

post #4931 of 4934

Can anyone point me to some resources for a DIY ER4S cable? I'd like to have the resistor (75ohm) in the connector rather than using a separate adapter.

post #4932 of 4934
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJNeg View Post
 

Can anyone point me to some resources for a DIY ER4S cable? I'd like to have the resistor (75ohm) in the connector rather than using a separate adapter.

I posted something a few pages back that might have the info you want: http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/4800#post_10928391

The resister is in the cable adapter.  I bought the P adapter and use a P-to-S plug but I think an S-adapter would have worked better for me.

post #4933 of 4934

Anyone know anything about the Etymotic MK5 Isolator?

 

According to press releases, it's supposed to be the spiritual successor to the ER6/ER6i, and that's why it's also dubbed the "Isolator".

 

However, it looks like it uses the EtyKids mold, and is likely a dynamic driver inside, so it'll be more like the MC5 than anything else.

 

The list price for the MK5 in Japan has been announced at 7400 yen, which is around $75 USD. That's about the same price as the MSRP for the MC5, which was $80 at launch.

 

Years after the MC5 came out, with a very similar shape, in which way(s) will the MK5 be better?

post #4934 of 4934
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

Anyone know anything about the Etymotic MK5 Isolator?

 

According to press releases, it's supposed to be the spiritual successor to the ER6/ER6i, and that's why it's also dubbed the "Isolator".

 

However, it looks like it uses the EtyKids mold, and is likely a dynamic driver inside, so it'll be more like the MC5 than anything else.

 

The list price for the MK5 in Japan has been announced at 7400 yen, which is around $75 USD. That's about the same price as the MSRP for the MC5, which was $80 at launch.

 

Years after the MC5 came out, with a very similar shape, in which way(s) will the MK5 be better?

call it 6th sense, but naming an IEM "isolator" gaves me an idea ^_^.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...