Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 308

post #4606 of 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post

The filter doesn't look bad at all actually. But it's clearly the defect as the sound returns when I swapped in a new filter.

By the way, is there a way to figure out if I got the 4p or the 4s?

Plug the ER4 into your mobile phone and if you need to push the volume to almost max or max volume to get a decent level then chances are you have an ER4S. ER4P is more efficient so by pushing your mobile phone volume to almost max or max volume, you'll probably blow your ear drums. You only need half volume or slightly above half to achieve a decent listening level on your ER4P. Hope this helps.
Edited by Francisk - 7/12/14 at 3:46am
post #4607 of 4777

Anyone know if a ER4P cable (or any non-resistor replacement) will help with the ER4S's high power need? I need to get these recently purchased ER4S to be a little more tame in the power requirement area.

 

None of my phones, tablets, MP3 players, etc can push this headphone to acceptable levels...even my amp is requiring higher volume levels then anything I've owned before be it full-sized, multi-driver IEM, etc.

post #4608 of 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidVageta View Post
 

Anyone know if a ER4P cable (or any non-resistor replacement) will help with the ER4S's high power need? I need to get these recently purchased ER4S to be a little more tame in the power requirement area.

 

None of my phones, tablets, MP3 players, etc can push this headphone to acceptable levels...even my amp is requiring higher volume levels then anything I've owned before be it full-sized, multi-driver IEM, etc.

If you have ER4S, why not get a ER4P cable?  ER4S has a 75ohm resistor, that's what drops significant power to the drivers.  The change you get is the bass.  

post #4609 of 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

If you have ER4S, why not get a ER4P cable?  ER4S has a 75ohm resistor, that's what drops significant power to the drivers.  The change you get is the bass.  

So getting a ER4P cable will do what I want? Will lower the ER4S's power draw? 

 

Is that really the only difference between the two? The cable? Nothing internally with the actual earbuds themselves?

post #4610 of 4777

Maybe somebody can chime in to be sure, but I don't see why not, as the added 75ohm impedance adapter essentially changes the 4P to 4S.  This means that the cable on the 4S has the resistors in it, and the 4P cable doesn't.  So if you get the 4P cable, it would be a 4P since there is not resistor in the cable, and there will be no significant power drop since the resistor is not there, and all the power will be delivered to the drivers which means it will get louder.


Edited by SilverEars - 7/12/14 at 7:15pm
post #4611 of 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

Maybe somebody can chime in to be sure, but I don't see why not, as the added 75ohm impedance adapter essentially changes the 4P to 4S.  This means that the cable on the 4S has the resistors in it, and the 4P cable doesn't.  So if you get the 4P cable, it would be a 4P since there is not resistor in the cable, and there will be no significant power drop since the resistor is not there, and all the power will be delivered to the drivers which means it will get louder.

True, but we also don't know if the resistors are in the actual buds...guess we can just wait for further input.

 

What you say makes sense though, my thoughts exactly.

post #4612 of 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidVageta View Post
 

True, but we also don't know if the resistors are in the actual buds...guess we can just wait for further input.

 

What you say makes sense though, my thoughts exactly.

I thought the resistor was in the grey section on the cable.  Could be wrong though.

 

post #4613 of 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

I thought the resistor was in the grey section on the cable.  Could be wrong though.

 

Yes, this is what I'm thinking as well...just don't have a spare cable to check and see! Like I said, I believe you are correct, fully, but I still want to see if someone else has something to say.

post #4614 of 4777

You can't buy just the cable.

post #4615 of 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post
 

You can't buy just the cable.

If not, possibly aftermarket or he can probably contact Etymotic.  Etymotic has excellent CS.

post #4616 of 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

If not, possibly aftermarket or he can probably contact Etymotic.  Etymotic has excellent CS.

 

APureSound, not cheap, bought one, not worth it.

 

http://apuresound.com/er4.html

post #4617 of 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post
 

You can't buy just the cable.

 

I would look into making my own or going some other route...there are always ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

If not, possibly aftermarket or he can probably contact Etymotic.  Etymotic has excellent CS.

I will try this. 

 

Either way, still want to know. Well, I guess I could just ask them, eh?

post #4618 of 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidVageta View Post
 

 

I would look into making my own or going some other route...there are always ways...

I will try this. 

 

Either way, still want to know. Well, I guess I could just ask them, eh?

 

If still under warranty, they will fix them for free. Call their CS #. They'll give you an RMA #. As soon as they receive them, you'll get a call from a friendly CS representative. Really good people to talk to.

post #4619 of 4777

What the impedance graph is showing is that treble quantity/presence increases with with more resistance on the Ety's Knowles driver. 

 

Here are the differences in measurements of the P, S and B variants of the ER4. Etymotic specifies their impedance values as 21, 100 and 100.

 

This graph is of the HF3 and is showing the results of added impedance from stock to an additional 33 ohms and 100 ohms.  The changes are increased treble presence.

 

 

Less treble will also help the perception of more bass as well. This thread has some very good information around the effects of different dampers (filters) on the ER4: http://www.head-fi.org/t/626457/nrb-mod-nut-rattlin-bass-from-an-ety-yes-yes-yes-how-to-nrb-mod

 

As far as aftermarket cables go, here are some additional possibilities:

 

http://www.null-audio.com/products/lune-series-mkiii-premium-upgrade-cable-for-earphones

 

http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=71

 

 

(graphs by Rin Choi)


Edited by shotgunshane - 7/12/14 at 8:10pm
post #4620 of 4777
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post
 

What the impedance graph is showing is that treble quantity/presence increases with with more resistance on the Ety's Knowles driver. 

 

Here are the differences in measurements of the P, S and B variants of the ER4. Etymotic specifies their impedance values as 21, 100 and 100.

 

This graph is of the HF3 and is showing the results of added impedance from stock to an additional 33 ohms and 100 ohms.  The changes are increased treble presence.

 

 

Less treble will also help the perception of more bass as well. This thread has some very good information around the effects of different dampers (filters) on the ER4: http://www.head-fi.org/t/626457/nrb-mod-nut-rattlin-bass-from-an-ety-yes-yes-yes-how-to-nrb-mod

 

As far as aftermarket cables go, here are some additional possibilities:

 

http://www.null-audio.com/products/lune-series-mkiii-premium-upgrade-cable-for-earphones

 

http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=71

 

 

(graphs by Rin Choi)

Interesting, it would be nice to attach a potentiometer between the 0 impedance amp and the ER4P to adjust the response to your liking.  That's the nice thing about it's impedance response, you can EQ with variations of the resistance in the path.


Edited by SilverEars - 7/12/14 at 8:16pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...