Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 284

post #4246 of 5033
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Th
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibiSC View Post

I made an impulse response for my er4pt without the adaptor to S and the sound was pretty good with harman curve.... a shame that tylls didnt measure the er4s...

Edit: you edited your post luisdent... my response was for before the edit... lol
that's ok. I try not to be too "wordy" . Ha i usually rewrite a post once or twice to make it clear or simpler.

After some listening your eq feels better for some songs... Other times piccolo's and sometimes no eq at all...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #4247 of 5033

take the weighted average of the three then for the type of music you listen to.

post #4248 of 5033
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post
 

take the weighted average of the three then for the type of music you listen to.

 

That's what I usually do with bass personally. I take the average of the +6db rule and the typical flat response and pick something around +4db. However, the goldenears graph I based this eq on uses the +6db rule, and it seems to work very well for me. I haven't had a single situation where I didn't think the bass was perfectly neutral on the er4s.

 

LibiSC... What part of the eq do you find you prefer more or less than the other? The bass? The treble? I'm curious, because it seems most people are more critical of treble "accuracy", but not level. And more people are critical of bass "level" but not quality. I'm not saying there aren't people that value both critically in both areas, but just generally from what I've seen.

 

I recently eq'd a sony ex85lp 100% based on rin's graph of them and the corrective graph I made is very very close to the same contour once matched. Probably in the 95-98% range. It is blowing my mind. But that's another story. I wish i had a graph from rin on the er4s... Anyone? Anyone?? :-P  Did he fall off the planet again?

post #4249 of 5033
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

That's what I usually do with bass personally. I take the average of the +6db rule and the typical flat response and pick something around +4db. However, the goldenears graph I based this eq on uses the +6db rule, and it seems to work very well for me. I haven't had a single situation where I didn't think the bass was perfectly neutral on the er4s.

 

LibiSC... What part of the eq do you find you prefer more or less than the other? The bass? The treble? I'm curious, because it seems most people are more critical of treble "accuracy", but not level. And more people are critical of bass "level" but not quality. I'm not saying there aren't people that value both critically in both areas, but just generally from what I've seen.

 

I recently eq'd a sony ex85lp 100% based on rin's graph of them and the corrective graph I made is very very close to the same contour once matched. Probably in the 95-98% range. It is blowing my mind. But that's another story. I wish i had a graph from rin on the er4s... Anyone? Anyone?? :-P  Did he fall off the planet again?

 

After listening for a while I can say i don't like the bass in PiccoloNamek's eq...It's too much... not even fun just too much... but I think he tried to match his hd650 not to compensate .. What I like it's that it feels like more comfortable.. I don't know how to put it but some instruments feel like they are behind a blanket or something.... i don't know...

 

From yours I like the bass in general and the detail for some songs...your eq makes the highs more "tender"... Your bass is just enough... I will put your bass on PiccoloNamek's eq and see how much it changes...

post #4250 of 5033
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibiSC View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

That's what I usually do with bass personally. I take the average of the +6db rule and the typical flat response and pick something around +4db. However, the goldenears graph I based this eq on uses the +6db rule, and it seems to work very well for me. I haven't had a single situation where I didn't think the bass was perfectly neutral on the er4s.

 

LibiSC... What part of the eq do you find you prefer more or less than the other? The bass? The treble? I'm curious, because it seems most people are more critical of treble "accuracy", but not level. And more people are critical of bass "level" but not quality. I'm not saying there aren't people that value both critically in both areas, but just generally from what I've seen.

 

I recently eq'd a sony ex85lp 100% based on rin's graph of them and the corrective graph I made is very very close to the same contour once matched. Probably in the 95-98% range. It is blowing my mind. But that's another story. I wish i had a graph from rin on the er4s... Anyone? Anyone?? :-P  Did he fall off the planet again?

 

After listening for a while I can say i don't like the bass in PiccoloNamek's eq...It's too much... not even fun just too much... but I think he tried to match his hd650 not to compensate .. What I like it's that it feels like more comfortable.. I don't know how to put it but some instruments feel like they are behind a blanket or something.... i don't know...

 

From yours I like the bass in general and the detail for some songs...your eq makes the highs more "tender"... Your bass is just enough... I will put your bass on PiccoloNamek's eq and see how much it changes...

 

Keep in mind "my bass" is just the bass as compensated by the goldenears graph. I haven't adjusted anything at all to my tastes. The last eq I made was a 100% direct compensation based on the GE graph ;-) Just sayin'. :-o

 

I've also recently noticed there are multiple GE graphs for the same earphones and they aren't all identical. I used the one on the main review page. There is another one in a page somewhere comparing the er4s to another earphone, and while they are similar they aren't identical. Then if you look in the accudio app under the er4s selection setting there is a graph showing what they compensated, which is even different again. Not sure why they have discrepancies between their own graphs. Strange.

 

Anyway, none of them are drastically different, but I used the one on the review page, because it seems like the basic compensated graph they came up with from the raw graph. That's why I want to see one from rin. I be his would be pretty good and consistent. Oh well. For me though, the direct eq compensation i made from the GE graph sounds the best I've heard the er4s sound so far.  What is interesting though is that I used the bass point only and red filters and it still sounds really really good. Not as open and 3d, but very relaxing and still very detailed, while the bass makes things sound proper in terms of body and foundation. Either way, these things are very flexible with eq from all my experimenting.


Edited by luisdent - 4/25/14 at 8:36pm
post #4251 of 5033

any good eq settings for rockbox? my er-4s are without filters, thanks.

post #4252 of 5033
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipit View Post
 

any good eq settings for rockbox? my er-4s are without filters, thanks.

 

Without filters? As in you remove your filters? Or you have the filters they came with?

post #4253 of 5033
Hey guys

any online store i could buy red filters? thanks
post #4254 of 5033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachkebia View Post

Hey guys
any online store i could buy red filters? thanks

http://www.qsabean.com/buy-now/accessories/

Checkout is though Etymotic USA. The red filters are for their QSA Bean amplifier but fit the ER-4. This is much better than buying the generic knowles filters from some place like mouser that have the metal ring around it. These are made for ety.
Edited by shotgunshane - 5/1/14 at 4:30am
post #4255 of 5033

Without any filters, previously I had the green ones, I've just used about 8 filters per 4 months, they get stuffed with wax too fast and the sound cuts off.

post #4256 of 5033
thanks shotgunshane!
post #4257 of 5033
Someone remind me why the red filters are preferred?
post #4258 of 5033
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJNeg View Post

Someone remind me why the red filters are preferred?
Because we said so! ;-)

Basically the lower the areas of the treble that are slightly peaky with the green filters, yet they don't sacrifice any details. This also gives the impression that the bass is a little better as well.
post #4259 of 5033
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Because we said so! ;-)

Basically the lower the areas of the treble that are slightly peaky with the green filters, yet they don't sacrifice any details. This also gives the impression that the bass is a little better as well.

To add to this, the most noticable change imo is the slight de-emphasis of the mids around 3k. It's a small change, only a dB or so, but it tilts the FR a little more towards a warmer sound. Small but worthwhile improvement to my ears.
post #4260 of 5033
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Because we said so! ;-)

Basically the lower the areas of the treble that are slightly peaky with the green filters, yet they don't sacrifice any details. This also gives the impression that the bass is a little better as well.

To add to this, the most noticable change imo is the slight de-emphasis of the mids around 3k. It's a small change, only a dB or so, but it tilts the FR a little more towards a warmer sound. Small but worthwhile improvement to my ears.
Yea, i said treble, but the main area is that upper mid region for sure. It's the difference between the sound being relaxed or not in a way...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...