Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 259

post #3871 of 4659
Received the comply P tips. Fan-freaking-tastic! Better sound than the trips for me due to better seal. The bass is even better and no loss in treble sparkle and extension.

Comfort seems better, so hopefully that holds up over longer listening sessions. Also have mooses9 over the ear adapters coming in any day. Hopefully those will end my aggravation of these being designed to wear down.
post #3872 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

Received the comply P tips. Fan-freaking-tastic! Better sound than the trips for me due to better seal. The bass is even better and no loss in treble sparkle and extension.

Comfort seems better, so hopefully that holds up over longer listening sessions. Also have mooses9 over the ear adapters coming in any day. Hopefully those will end my aggravation of these being designed to wear down.

Yeah, the comply p has been my favorite tip for the er4s for quite a while, especially given all the awesome deals on these tips a while ago when you could get those audiologist's sets for pocket change and it came down to like $3 or something a pair. I haven't been checking if any deals like that have popped lately coz I still have a bunch left but one might occasionally check ebay if these get a price drop again.


Edited by kova4a - 2/8/14 at 10:32am
post #3873 of 4659
What model number is the same as the P's? (Can't tell on my phone) I'll keep and eye out for them.
post #3874 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

What model number is the same as the P's? (Can't tell on my phone) I'll keep and eye out for them.

Well, there are a whole bunch of form factors and sizes for the professional series but you need the original canal tips http://www.complyfoampro.com/products/canal-tips-original/ and the sizes are slim, standard and large corresponding to the P100's S,M and L. I personally use Slim. Generally you should pay attention what the seller is offering coz there are also short professional ones,star-shaped ones etc.


Edited by kova4a - 2/8/14 at 3:14pm
post #3875 of 4659

Is it just me???

 

Why would ANYONE have fitament problems with the supplied tri-flanges?  Aren't they fool proof?  Kind of insert them until they stop...and...bingo...you have a seal?

 

Very straight narrow housing/nozzle?  Perhaps the most straightforward "ease of fit" IEM ever made  IMHO.

post #3876 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

Is it just me???

 

Why would ANYONE have fitament problems with the supplied tri-flanges?  Aren't they fool proof?  Kind of insert them until they stop...and...bingo...you have a seal?

 

Very straight narrow housing/nozzle?  Perhaps the most straightforward "ease of fit" IEM ever made  IMHO.

It's not just the fit - it's the long-term comfort and silicone tips irritate the ears more and I find the silicone of the ety tri-flanges extra irritating for me, especially after longer listening sessions. Also memory foam can give you a superior fit.

I'm usually more of a silicone tip kinda guy - they don't affect the highs negatively, they are easier to clean and you save a bunch of money in the long run but the er4 is one of those iems that I prefer with foam tips.

post #3877 of 4659
I've had trouble getting the tri-flange to seal also. I find them painful and can't get a seal in both ears.

Shure Olives work best for me, but I keep wanting to try the tri-flange again. Maybe give them another shot.
post #3878 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
 

Is it just me???

 

Why would ANYONE have fitament problems with the supplied tri-flanges?  Aren't they fool proof?  Kind of insert them until they stop...and...bingo...you have a seal?

 

Very straight narrow housing/nozzle?  Perhaps the most straightforward "ease of fit" IEM ever made  IMHO.

 

Not even close.  They are long, more gripping material that needs to go into your ear that isn't straight.  The flanges don't fit everyone's ears equally in size or depth.  The most straight forward ease of fit in my opinion would be the standard silicon round tips you find on every sony style iem ever made.  But those don't work with a deep fit earphone as well.

 

Because of the depth of an ear being different it is NOT as easy as just pushing them in until the stop and seal.  For me I need to go about TWICE that distance into my ear.  That requires more force and irritation, whereas the foam is soft and expands and doesn't grip the same way.  If that works for you awesome, but unfortunately not everyone will have the same experience, hence the large style of tips even etymotic offers themselves (mushroom, 3 foam sizes, 2 silicon sizes, a prototype in the works) they obviously realize not everyone will prefer the triple flanges.

 

But they are great.  They give a great seal and last longer than other tips.  But the comfort is where I think most people have an issue, not so much being able to get them to fit right...


Edited by luisdent - 2/8/14 at 6:35pm
post #3879 of 4659
My ear canals aren't straight so triple flanges don't work well for me. I need the double flange and for it to sit flush with the end of the iem barrel.
post #3880 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

My ear canals aren't straight so triple flanges don't work well for me. I need the double flange and for it to sit flush with the end of the iem barrel.

Yea, this can also cause channel imbalance issues when the bends are changing the shape of the canals on the tri-flanges.
post #3881 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

My ear canals aren't straight so triple flanges don't work well for me. I need the double flange and for it to sit flush with the end of the iem barrel.

Yea, this can also cause channel imbalance issues when the bends are changing the shape of the canals on the tri-flanges.

 

I never thought of that.  Interesting...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

My ear canals aren't straight so triple flanges don't work well for me. I need the double flange and for it to sit flush with the end of the iem barrel.

 

Yes, I don't have your double flanges, but I've cut off the smallest flange in the past, and it definitely fits easier for me that way, it just caused a sharper edge to the tip.  I should just buy the ones you have already. :-P

post #3882 of 4659

Same for me: just plain uncomfortable. I think they'll even crease a bit depending on your canal shape/size. The smaller ones are fine, but not a good seal. Roll up the Comply's tight, stick them in and let the foam expand.. maybe give them a quick 'wiggle', and I can have in for several hours with no discomfort. Sound great, at least to me. I use the shorter T100s, not the Ps. 

post #3883 of 4659

 

Here's what mine look like after only a few uses.  This is permanent.  I've tried to stretch them and bend them back to normal.  No luck.  So here's one problem.  Now, when I use these tips those folds keep them from completely sealing in my ear without me having to really mess around with them or put them in so deep that Einstein would need a new theory to explain it...

post #3884 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

Here's what mine look like after only a few uses.  This is permanent.  I've tried to stretch them and bend them back to normal.  No luck.  So here's one problem.  Now, when I use these tips those folds keep them from completely sealing in my ear without me having to really mess around with them or put them in so deep that Einstein would need a new theory to explain it...


have you tried sitting them in very hot water for a few minutes?  just an idea.   I've used silicone-ish Vibrapads under audio equipment, and when they lost their shape, the manufacture has you put them in an 180 degree oven for  10 minutes, and the come back to shape.

post #3885 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

Here's what mine look like after only a few uses.  This is permanent.  I've tried to stretch them and bend them back to normal.  No luck.  So here's one problem.  Now, when I use these tips those folds keep them from completely sealing in my ear without me having to really mess around with them or put them in so deep that Einstein would need a new theory to explain it...

 

I'll suggest some warm water. Not too hot but you'll need at least some temperature to loosen up the silicone rubber molecule. If the bend is caused by use, it might be a sign that the normal tri-flange is a bit too big for you. Maybe you should try the baby tri-flange and see how it goes..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...