Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 170

post #2536 of 4659

For anyone using a fuze v2 with their er4s I just created two themes!  Woohoo! :-)

 

http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2013/09/new-sansa-fuze-v2-themes.html


Edited by luisdent - 9/15/13 at 11:40pm
post #2537 of 4659

Seeing that a while ago no-one seemed to show much interest in the Sony MDR-7550 (aka MDR-EX800ST) our very grumpy avian friend had mentioned, I'll admit I did take note of music_4321's comments back then and last week I finally decided to buy a pair again.

 

post #2538 of 4659

I like the MDR-EX800ST, but not the MDR-7550...

The difference in the amount of letter silk-screening made to the casing makes the EX800ST sound so much better!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

;)

post #2539 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

I like the MDR-EX800ST, but not the MDR-7550...

The difference in the amount of letter silk-screening made to the casing makes the EX800ST sound so much better!

;)

 

Yes, so I've been told!

post #2540 of 4659

I find the 7550s render music more convincingly than the 4S. Clearly so. I'll say what I said back when I first mentioned these phones in this thread: The 7550/EX800 is a very underrated phone. The 7550 & EX1000 are the only phones I've been tempted to buy again after I sold them, so I'm very glad to have the excellent 7550 once again.


Edited by music_4321 - 9/16/13 at 11:19am
post #2541 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post
 

I find the 7550s render music more convincingly than the 4S. Clearly so.

 

You're heading for the shortest official ety club membership ever. ;)

post #2542 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

You're heading for the shortest official ety club membership ever. ;)

 

Maybe so, but I still think the ER4S is a truly excellent phone. Listening to them, in fact, as I type.

post #2543 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

I find the 7550s render music more convincingly than the 4S. Clearly so. I'll say what I said back when I first mentioned these phones in this thread: The 7550/EX800 is a very underrated phone. The 7550 & EX1000 are the only phones I've been tempted to buy again after I sold them, so I'm very glad to have the excellent 7550 once again.

I just felt a stabbing pain in my chest. Weird. Anyway is it that the 7550 has a more out-of-head presentation than the ER4S? Also do you prefer the 7550 to the EX1000? That's a phone I always wanted to try.
post #2544 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

I just felt a stabbing pain in my chest. Weird.

 

Sorry about that. (Seriously)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

 Anyway is it that the 7550 has a more out-of-head presentation than the ER4S? Also do you prefer the 7550 to the EX1000? That's a phone I always wanted to try.

 

Here's what I wrote to a friend earlier today:

 

"The mids on the 7550s do not sound forward but perfectly in place (different to the Ety's mids, though, due to the bass & treble response on both phones), and the treble is smooth but not recessed like that on the UM3X or the awful SM3 (or SE530). I do hear a bit of grain at higher volumes, too, but minimal and not worrisome (the Ety's treble is a step up).

 

Certainly the best DD IEM I've heard in the sense that all frequencies, by and large, are rendered extremely well. What a pleasant surprise. This almost sounds like another 'new toy syndrome' thing, but I can't say I prefer the Etys which, of course, I love (still pretty fresh!). One thing's for sure, if I had to keep just one, I'd take the 7550s, if only because they sound more natural, with a better sense of space (not OTT) & great timbre from the mids-mids, lower mids and down low, with a very convincing tonal balance in the rest of the spectrum."

 

As for the EX1000s, they could be problematic with poor/bright recordings/masters and could be painful/harsh in the upper mids region, but when the EX1000s were fed well mastered tracks/albums, they were incredible. The 7550s are never painful, and perform brilliantly with all manner of albums. At the time I had both, I kept the EX1000s because I had my customs (ES3X) to balance out the EX1000s. But again, the 7550 is the best DD I've heard as a whole sonic package.

 

I have to add, though, that I think Sony changed the tuning of the 7550s because they were closer to the EX1000s (I had both at the same time 2 years ago) and the 7550s were closer in treble performance back then, ie they could get close to the EX1000's harsh upper mids/lower treble with some recordings, but were more forgiving. Here's what I said to my friend earlier today:

 

"So, got the 7550s today. Fantastic phones, but here's the twist: they sound different to how I heard them 2 years ago (I had all 3 EX models at the same time at one point). Perhaps that explains the different FR graphs I've seen of them. Who knows, as I was one of the very first 7550 adopters"

 

EDIT: There's a pretty good chance you and other ER4S owners would still take the Etys over the 7550s. The 4S still performs a little better on several tracks / albums. Make no mistake, my respect for Etymotic and my love for the ER4S has not changed one bit — and all comments I've made about the 4S still stand.


Edited by music_4321 - 9/16/13 at 1:56pm
post #2545 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

Sorry about that. (Seriously)


Here's what I wrote to a friend earlier today:

"The mids on the 7550s do not sound forward but perfectly in place (different to the Ety's mids, though, due to the bass & treble response on both phones), and the treble is smooth but not recessed like that on the UM3X or the awful SM3 (or SE530). I do hear a bit of grain at higher volumes, too, but minimal and not worrisome (the Ety's treble is a step up).

Certainly the best single DD IEM I've heard in the sense that all frequencies, by and large, are rendered extremely well. What a pleasant surprise. This almost sounds like another 'new toy syndrome' thing, but I can't say I prefer the Etys which, of course, I love (still pretty fresh!). One thing's for sure, if I had to keep just one, I'd take the 7550s, if only because they sound more natural, with a better sense of space (not OTT) & great timbre from the mids-mids, lower mids and down low, with a very convincing tonal balance in the rest of the spectrum."

As for the EX1000s, they could be problematic with poor/bright recordings/masters and could be painful/harsh in the upper mids region, but when the EX1000s were fed well mastered tracks/albums, they were incredible. The 7550s are never painful, and perform brilliantly with all manner of albums. At the time I had both, I kept the EX1000s because I had my customs (ES3X) to balance out the EX1000s. But again, the 7550 is the best DD I've heard as a whole sonic package.

I have to add, though, that I think Sony changed the tuning of the 7550s because they were closer to the EX1000s (I had both at the same time 2 years ago) and the 7550s were closer in treble performance back then, ie they could get close to the EX1000's harsh upper mids/lower treble with some recordings, but were more forgiving. Here's what I said to my friend earlier today:

"So, got the 7550s today. Fantastic phones, but here's the twist: they sound different to how I heard them 2 years ago (I had all 3 EX models at the same time at one point). Perhaps that explains the different FR graphs I've seen of them. Who knows, as I was one of the very first 7550 adopters"

EDIT: There's a pretty good chance you and other ER4S owners would still take the Etys over the 7550s. The 4S still performs a little better on several tracks / albums. Make no mistake, my respect for Etymotic and my love for the ER4S has not changed one bit — and all comments I've made about the 4S still stand.

Have you tried any other filters? They are small changes, but for me they reduce that mid sound i believe you are referring to. If you aren't as critical about the treble (based on your comparison to the 7550) then the orange filters give an awesomely flat bass response while not changing the treble much. in fact you might prefer the change possibly. they are also sound more "large" in space due to the difference in frequencies. Also try some comply tips. They improve soundstage for me as well as mid treble smoothness. Just some thoughts...
Edited by luisdent - 9/16/13 at 2:00pm
post #2546 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

Sorry about that. (Seriously)


Here's what I wrote to a friend earlier today:

"The mids on the 7550s do not sound forward but perfectly in place (different to the Ety's mids, though, due to the bass & treble response on both phones), and the treble is smooth but not recessed like that on the UM3X or the awful SM3 (or SE530). I do hear a bit of grain at higher volumes, too, but minimal and not worrisome (the Ety's treble is a step up).

Certainly the best single DD IEM I've heard in the sense that all frequencies, by and large, are rendered extremely well. What a pleasant surprise. This almost sounds like another 'new toy syndrome' thing, but I can't say I prefer the Etys which, of course, I love (still pretty fresh!). One thing's for sure, if I had to keep just one, I'd take the 7550s, if only because they sound more natural, with a better sense of space (not OTT) & great timbre from the mids-mids, lower mids and down low, with a very convincing tonal balance in the rest of the spectrum."

As for the EX1000s, they could be problematic with poor/bright recordings/masters and could be painful/harsh in the upper mids region, but when the EX1000s were fed well mastered tracks/albums, they were incredible. The 7550s are never painful, and perform brilliantly with all manner of albums. At the time I had both, I kept the EX1000s because I had my customs (ES3X) to balance out the EX1000s. But again, the 7550 is the best DD I've heard as a whole sonic package.

I have to add, though, that I think Sony changed the tuning of the 7550s because they were closer to the EX1000s (I had both at the same time 2 years ago) and the 7550s were closer in treble performance back then, ie they could get close to the EX1000's harsh upper mids/lower treble with some recordings, but were more forgiving. Here's what I said to my friend earlier today:

"So, got the 7550s today. Fantastic phones, but here's the twist: they sound different to how I heard them 2 years ago (I had all 3 EX models at the same time at one point). Perhaps that explains the different FR graphs I've seen of them. Who knows, as I was one of the very first 7550 adopters"

Thanks for that. Really curious about the 7550 now. Might grab a pair. The treble spike on the EX1000 is what kept me from buying one. I'd think the bass on the 7550 would be more convincing than the Etys just from what I've read, but I'm not sure about the mids. Nothing touches Ety mids so far to my ears.
post #2547 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post


Have you tried any other filters? They are small changes, but for me they reduce that mid sound i believe you are referring to. If you aren't as critical about the treble (based on your comparison to the 7550) then the orange filters give an awesomely flat bass response while not changing the treble much. in fact you might prefer the change possibly. they are also sound more "large" in space due to the difference in frequencies. Also try some comply tips. They improve soundstage for me as well as mid treble smoothness. Just some thoughts...

 

I'd like to think I'm rather critical about treble, too, but considering how the 7550s perform in that area, I've no serious complaints as the mids & low-end are phenomenal. One reason the K3003s are my favourite phone, among other things, is how they render high frequencies and the tonality/timbre in that part of the spectrum.

 

I tried the Ety foam tips and found them a bit too uncomfortable—SQ did change a little, but not enough to make want to keep trying. Mind you, the grey tri-flanges I've been using in the last week or so (uncomfortable at first) remind me a lot of how I heard the 4S with those foam tips. Never liked Comply tips, among other things, because sometimes I remove my IEMs rather frequently (also, I frankly find abusive the price of Complys).

 

TBH, I seriously doubt that changing filters will yield very different/significant results—rather subtle, I think. The 7550 is a different beast, and by this I'm not suggesting it trashes the 4S—far from it—, I mean that the sonic changes on the 4S to 'emulate' the 7550's sonics cannot be achieved by a filter change and Comply tips.

 

Since I'm willing to keep both IEMs, and I really do love the 4S' sonics in its stock form, for now I'll stick to no changes. Like I said already, I will eventually experiment with other filters. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

Thanks for that. Really curious about the 7550 now. Might grab a pair. The treble spike on the EX1000 is what kept me from buying one. I'd think the bass on the 7550 would be more convincing than the Etys just from what I've read, but I'm not sure about the mids. Nothing touches Ety mids so far to my ears.

 

If you do try the 7550s, you might get a very pleasant surprise in the way they render mids. You might still ultimately prefer the 4S' midrange, but I'm almost convinced you'd very much appreciate the 7550's mids, too — two different flavours of great mids in my book. You may find yourself preferring the mids of one phone with certain albums/tracks and the mids of the other IEM with other albums/tracks.


Edited by music_4321 - 9/16/13 at 2:57pm
post #2548 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

I'd like to think I'm rather critical about treble, too, but considering how the 7550s perform in that area, I've no serious complaints as the mids & low-end are phenomenal. One reason the K3003s are my favourite phone, among other things, is how they render high frequencies and the tonality/timbre in that part of the spectrum.

I tried the Ety foam tips and found them a bit too uncomfortable—SQ did change a little, but not enough to make want to keep trying. Mind you, the grey tri-flanges I've been using in the last week or so (uncomfortable at first) remind me a lot of how I heard the 4S with those foam tips. Never liked Comply tips, among other things, because sometimes I remove my IEMs rather frequently (also, I frankly find abusive the price of Complys).

TBH, I seriously doubt that changing filters will yield very different/significant results—rather subtle, I think. The 7550 is a different beast, and by this I'm not suggesting it trashes the 4S—far from it—, I mean that the sonic changes on the 4S to 'emulate' the 7550's sonics cannot be achieved by a filter change and Comply tips.

Since I'm willing to keep both IEMs, and I really do love the 4S' sonics in its stock form, for now I'll stick to no changes. Like I said already, I will eventually experiment with other filters. Thanks for the suggestions, though.


If you do try the 7550s, you might get a very pleasant surprise in the way they render mids. You might still ultimately prefer the 4S' midrange, but I'm almost convinced you'd very much appreciate the 7550's mids, too — two different flavours of great mids in my book. You may find yourself preferring the mids of one phone with certain albums/tracks and the mids of the other IEM with other albums/tracks.

I agree about comply tips, however they are the best sound and comfort for me. The ety foam are a bit thick and the small foam are a bit thin.

As for the filters, although the change is small, i find it can be substantial in some ways. Even though the mid treble is only slightly reduced it doubles the ease if listening fir me sometimes. It's like teetering a glass on the edge of a table. Just a small bit further doesn't sound like much, but it could be the difference between the glass falling or not. Don't misunderstand me to mean they sound a lot different... They don't. But it can change the experience still, and i'd recommend at least trying them.
post #2549 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

I agree about comply tips, however they are the best sound and comfort for me. The ety foam are a bit thick and the small foam are a bit thin.

As for the filters, although the change is small, i find it can be substantial in some ways. Even though the mid treble is only slightly reduced it doubles the ease if listening fir me sometimes. It's like teetering a glass on the edge of a table. Just a small bit further doesn't sound like much, but it could be the difference between the glass falling or not. Don't misunderstand me to mean they sound a lot different... They don't. But it can change the experience still, and i'd recommend at least trying them.

 

I love the 4S' treble and would not want to change it. It never sounds harsh or thin at all to these ears (unlike the EX1000's, or to a lesser extent, at times, the KAEDE's), so reducing the Etys' treble is not something I'd ever try to achieve. The 7550's treble isn't as good, but it's still very, very good. Like I said, as a whole sonic package, I'd take the 7550s. Clearly. But I insist, "clearly" in this context does not mean the Sonys wipe the floor with the 4S, but simply that I can quickly recognise my preference. I like the Etys so much, in fact, that this evening I've been using both 7550s & 4S, not doing that much A/B'ing, but mostly enjoying two great phones.

post #2550 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

I love the 4S' treble and would not want to change it. It never sounds harsh or thin at all to these ears (unlike the EX1000's, or to a lesser extent, at times, the KAEDE's), so reducing the Etys' treble is not something I'd ever try to achieve. The 7550's treble isn't as good, but it's still very, very good. Like I said, as a whole sonic package, I'd take the 7550s. Clearly. But I insist, "clearly" in this context does not mean the Sonys wipe the floor with the 4S, but simply that I can quickly recognise my preference. I like the Etys so much, in fact, that this evening I've been using both 7550s & 4S, not doing that much A/B'ing, but mostly enjoying two great phones.

I think the red filters might IMPROVE the treble. Because they don't lower the entire treble, just two areas that are above neutral anyway. So it actually reduces those to peaks to a more neutral state. The orange take that same effect a bit stronger, so i can't say if you'd like those or not. The orange would give better overall balance with bass, but you do start to hear the treble becoming less prominent a tad. The differences are small and the filters cheap. What can it hurt to try?

If you like them you'll be glad you tried. If you don't, you can come back here and tell how much of a fool i am! ;-). For what it's worth, although they chose the greens don from etymotic told me the initial prototypes actually used thd red filters!!!! wink.gif So they can't be that bad :-P
Edited by luisdent - 9/16/13 at 3:58pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...