Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 167

post #2491 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

Because he doesn't want to be part of the club.  :-P

 

It seems like you're reciprocating in kind to a childish game to initiated by Inks.

post #2492 of 4659
Lol guys I was joking, i like the ER4S. but to be honest I don't like them enough to own a pair.
post #2493 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post

It seems like you're reciprocating in kind to a childish game to initiated by Inks.
Sarcasm my friend... Sarcasm. :-P
post #2494 of 4659

Been mostly listening to classical music (mostly orchestral) this evening (in Europe) and, needless to say, the 4S performs beautifully. But then I heard the following track and that 4S' midrange did its thang once again, not only able to render the electric guitar superbly, but allowing each note to be perfectly audible: http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/St+Elmo+s+Fire/4iNA36?src=5

post #2495 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by brofeelgood View Post

I bought the ER-4PT without realising the P-S adapter is included. Dumbarse, I know... :confused_face:

 

Anyway the point is I got one of them P-S plugs off of Ebay as a result, and no surprises here, it's equally effective.

 

The Ety adapter, with a bit of cable and a curved connector, is a more useful design for me though.

 

Yeah, since I bought my Etys back in 2002/2003, it didn't come with an adapter back then.  As Ety has replaced them twice over the years as they've broken, they've replaced the phones, but not everything that comes with them.  So I didn't have an adapter.provided.

 

Cool, actually, that you have two adapters that you can compare the performance between the two.  So the one you bought off eBay isn't a real Ety adapter, I take it.  Is it one of the Chinese braided cable adapters?

 

Interesting that you like the Ety 45 degree plug design.  For the life of me, I can't figure out the benefit.  Seems like the worst of both worlds--you don't get the 90 degree compactness that doesn't make it stick out from the case, but you also don't get the straight plug benefit of not pushing to one side or the other.

post #2496 of 4659

I picked the cheapest one I could find. It's a straight plug from some Hong Kong vendor. It's fatter than my iPhone which is my regular music source, and gives it an awkward tilt when placed flat on a table. Add the earphone plug on top, and the whole hideous contraption sticks out too much for my liking.

 

The Ety adapter isn't ideal, but it's still better in comparison the above. I too would have preferred a 90-deg design.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildblue View Post
 

 

Yeah, since I bought my Etys back in 2002/2003, it didn't come with an adapter back then.  As Ety has replaced them twice over the years as they've broken, they've replaced the phones, but not everything that comes with them.  So I didn't have an adapter.provided.

 

Cool, actually, that you have two adapters that you can compare the performance between the two.  So the one you bought off eBay isn't a real Ety adapter, I take it.  Is it one of the Chinese braided cable adapters?

 

Interesting that you like the Ety 45 degree plug design.  For the life of me, I can't figure out the benefit.  Seems like the worst of both worlds--you don't get the 90 degree compactness that doesn't make it stick out from the case, but you also don't get the straight plug benefit of not pushing to one side or the other.

post #2497 of 4659
brofeelgood, did you bought the adapter from awwan? in my view the adapter is good and costs USD18 with free of charge shipping instead of USD 49 for Etys genuine adapter.
post #2498 of 4659

I have the 75 ohm adapter that I purchased from the reputable HK seller a while back.  Still in great condition. Free to whoever wants it.  It doesn't work well my my HF2 and irrelevant with my ER4S.  I'll even pay the shipping.  Sorry, CONUS members only.

 

PM me if you want it and really NEED it. Thanks.

post #2499 of 4659

Has anyone tried the 75 ohm adapter on an ER4S? I wonder what the extra impedance would do to the sound.

post #2500 of 4659

It still sounds amazing but you need a good amplifier :)

post #2501 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by zowki View Post
 

Has anyone tried the 75 ohm adapter on an ER4S? I wonder what the extra impedance would do to the sound.

 

I have one in my possesion now.  I'll try it.

post #2502 of 4659

Extra dry, distant, and sibilant - yes?

post #2503 of 4659

It's been a week with the ER4S.

 

All I can say is that I've had a real need to come to these phones every single day—not exactly what is known as 'new toy syndrome' in my book, FWIW—and that I cannot honestly convey the tremendous appreciation I have for this most excellent phone. An awkward fit (which keeps getting better by the day), a shirt-clip I don't like using, but solves microphonics…it's the incredible sonics of this IEM that are truly absolutely remarkable. When six days ago I said that ER4S "indeed plays in the very same league the K3003s & Parterres play", I can only re-state the very same thing in diff words: The ER4S is a high-end IEM—by high-end I mean it goes to head-to-head with $1,000+ IEMs— and the likes of the W4, UM3X, SE535, SE530, CK100, etc., etc., err…well, they frankly just don't cut it… not to these very, very elderly and crippling sparrow's ears, that is.

 

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Changes/4yR21p?src=5


Edited by music_4321 - 9/12/13 at 4:06pm
post #2504 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post
 

It's been a week with the ER4S.

 

All I can say is that I've had a real need to come to these phones every single day—not exactly what is known as 'new toy syndrome' in my book, FWIW—and that I cannot honestly convey the tremendous appreciation I have for this most excellent phone. An awkward fit (which keeps getting better by the day), a shirt-clip I don't like using, but solves microphonics…it's the incredible sonics of this IEM that are truly absolutely remarkable. When six days ago I said that ER4S "indeed plays in the very same league the K3003s & Parterres play", I can only re-state the very same thing in diff words: The ER4S is a high-end IEM—by high-end I mean it goes to head-to-head with $1,000+ IEMs— and the likes of the W4, UM3X, SE535, SE530, CK100, etc., etc., err…well, they frankly just don't cut it… not to these very, very elderly and crippling sparrow's ears, that is.

 

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Changes/4yR21p?src=5

 

Haha.

 

Which I why I have had mine some 20 years and still not found a replacement worth buying.

post #2505 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha421 View Post
 

Extra dry, distant, and sibilant - yes?

 

Honestly, it doesn't have a large effect on the sound, but it basically goes the same direction as the er4p to er4s.  The treble sounds a bit more bright and the bass sounds a bit less full.  But overall, I can put the 75ohm adapter in my 32ohm duet, giving roughly 107ohms total resistance and the sound is still excellent.  If you didn't tell me it was connected, I might not notice right at first.  But it essentially makes things brighter.  Or to my ears I would say things sound less full.  The mids and bass aren't as lush.  But surprisingly the increase in treble doesn't really sound bad per se.  I've only listened to one song, but nonetheless it is a well recorded david gates song and therefore no other testing is ever needed. ;) (kidding).

 

The difference between the 4p and 4s is MUCH greater than the different between the 4s and 4s with adapter.  It is even greater than the difference between the 4s and 107ohms...  I'm guessing as the resistance gets greater the difference starts to decrease in proportion.  Just a theory.

 

Update:  Man... I'm actually starting to like the very very slight crispness boost.  Bah!  haha.  It definitely brings out little details more, but I'd say it doesn't sound as neutral by a tiny bit.


Edited by luisdent - 9/12/13 at 5:15pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...