Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 165

post #2461 of 4659

Looks like I just missed a group buy on other filters.  If the reds do help a tad with bass, I'd love to figure out where to buy them.  Haven't found that info in the thread yet.

post #2462 of 4659
Does anyone know if there is an adaptor to convert the ER4S to ER4P?

I know there are plenty for the other way round. I just got an AK120 and the sound of the Ety ER4 is wonderful with it but the player does not have enough power to drive these inefficient IEM's so I though converting it to "P" Spec would be ideal!
post #2463 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Does anyone know if there is an adaptor to convert the ER4S to ER4P?

I know there are plenty for the other way round. I just got an AK120 and the sound of the Ety ER4 is wonderful with it but the player does not have enough power to drive these inefficient IEM's so I though converting it to "P" Spec would be ideal!
Unfortunately you can only convert P ---> S and not the other way around
post #2464 of 4659

Ian, how loud do you listen to music? Considering the 4S' excellent isolation levels, I'd imagine the AK120 would have enough juice to drive your Etys to your volume requirements. Or else, just sell your AK120 and get yourself an iPod Touch!

post #2465 of 4659
Music. i generally listen pretty quietly. On the AK120 with my PF's at around 48 but the ETY's need double that for the same volume.

Zalithian, thanks so much for your quick reply. I guess I will have to buy the "P" version then as the sound is rather lovely with the 120!
post #2466 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Music. i generally listen pretty quietly. On the AK120 with my PF's at around 48 but the ETY's need double that for the same volume.

Zalithian, thanks so much for your quick reply. I guess I will have to buy the "P" version then as the sound is rather lovely with the 120!

 

Yeah i found the best and most versatile deal is to buy the P version, then get a $13 P->S adapter, then if you want a B version, purchase the C&C BH2 amp for $100. Three headphones in one!

post #2467 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post

Music. i generally listen pretty quietly. On the AK120 with my PF's at around 48 but the ETY's need double that for the same volume.

 

Yes, the PFs, 1601s, Heaven S, FI-BA-SS & 334s are extremely sensitive (wish they weren't, tbh), and the 4S is exactly the opposite; the K3003, Parterres & KAEDEs are just right. Still, as noted a few days ago, my Touch gets loud enough for my needs (12-13 out of 16 volume steps is already very/too loud, I'd normally set the volume at 8-10, 12 or 13 max for some older classical recordings).


Edited by music_4321 - 9/9/13 at 10:21am
post #2468 of 4659

I think we still will replace the cable to make it a 4P.  I think it is $50.

post #2469 of 4659

So, as much as I really dislike using a shirt-clip, I've been forced finally decided to use the Ety shirt-clip, and I'm happy to report that microphonics have been very significantly reduced. I'd like to add that I love the 4S cable length, specially when these are used with my desktop amp.

 

Still mightily impressed by the sonics of these very, very fine IEMs — instead of using the term "analytical", I personally prefer the term "revealing" here—wonderfully revealing phones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yEcTB2va5E

post #2470 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post
 

So, as much as I really dislike using a shirt-clip, I've been forced finally decided to use the Ety shirt-clip, and I'm happy to report that microphonics have been very significantly reduced. I'd like to add that I love the 4S cable length, specially when these are used with my desktop amp.

 

Still mightily impressed by the sonics of these very, very fine IEMs — instead of using the term "analytical", I personally prefer the term "revealing" here—wonderfully revealing phones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yEcTB2va5E

 

 

M, how revealing would you say it is vs the KAEDE? I found the SUI to be quite the ruthless dictator.

post #2471 of 4659

^   Off the top of my head, I'd say they're similarly revealing, but their presentation is quite different — the 4S is more monitor-like, the KAEDE more full-size headphone-like — however, this 'monitor-like' sound isn't boring or clinical to these ears, but this clearly is my preference because I'm finding this type of sound very, very appealing. The KAEDEs have more treble energy and air but not necessarily more detail, though it may appear that way. The midrange on the KAEDEs is kind of dry and may also appear to show more detail, IMO, but not really; I find the 4S's midrange quite a bit more accurate and, therefore, actually more revealing, or the same details are presented more clearly; this also being the result, in my view, of a more linear bass with less quantity on the 4S. The 4S's bass is very textured, so the quality and detail is really very good. FWIW, I find the ER4S a better all-rounder.

post #2472 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wilson View Post

I think we still will replace the cable to make it a 4P.  I think it is $50.

Oh thats great I will certainly do that in that case, thank you!
post #2473 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

^   Off the top of my head, I'd say they're similarly revealing, but their presentation is quite different — the 4S is more monitor-like, the KAEDE more full-size headphone-like — however, this 'monitor-like' sound isn't boring or clinical to these ears, but this clearly is my preference because I'm finding this type of sound very, very appealing. The KAEDEs have more treble energy and air but not necessarily more detail, though it may appear that way. The midrange on the KAEDEs is kind of dry and may also appear to show more detail, IMO, but not really; I find the 4S's midrange quite a bit more accurate and, therefore, actually more revealing, or the same details are presented more clearly; this also being the result, in my view, of a more linear bass with less quantity on the 4S. The 4S's bass is very textured, so the quality and detail is really very good. FWIW, I find the ER4S a better all-rounder.

From my audition with the SUI I agree with this. I view emphasized treble as a "cheat" or shortcut to make things initially appear more detailed than they really are upon further inspection. This is most apparent in cymbals imo, where a treble peak willl accentuate detail, but also interfere with the smooth ride of the strike by making it too splashy and without sufficient and/or realistic decay. It's an illusion that used to work on me (major x-treble head here), but now I find it rather gimmicky.

I think music also makes a good point (maybe inadvertently) that detail is a somewhat nebulous term. The frequency range in general covers a lot of sounds, and different things will be accentuated by different FR's, and different people will listen for detail in different areas at different times. What I'm getting at is I like music's technique of being specific about detail being accuracy (and FR) based. It's a more... detailed explanation imo lol.
post #2474 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

From my audition with the SUI I agree with this. I view emphasized treble as a "cheat" or shortcut to make things initially appear more detailed than they really are upon further inspection. This is most apparent in cymbals imo, where a treble peak willl accentuate detail, but also interfere with the smooth ride of the strike by making it too splashy and without sufficient and/or realistic decay. It's an illusion that used to work on me (major x-treble head here), but now I find it rather gimmicky.

I think music also makes a good point (maybe inadvertently) that detail is a somewhat nebulous term. The frequency range in general covers a lot of sounds, and different things will be accentuated by different FR's, and different people will listen for detail in different areas at different times. What I'm getting at is I like music's technique of being specific about detail being accuracy (and FR) based. It's a more... detailed explanation imo lol.

I think frequency reponse is possibly the most important factor in an earphone. I've heard heard most of the top end earphones. While some offer better quality in one rgard or another, it always comes down to frequency response as the determining factor of how much detail and quality is revealed. Not to say that other aspects aren't very important. However, i've yet to hear a single earphone where other traits are sufficiently better to outweigh a flat frequency response. In fact, i eq every single earphone i try to be flat based on listening and graphs. While not identical, i've been extremely surprised how close they all are with eq applied properly.

As for treble, the common misconception is indeed that more treble equals better detail. More treble may sound more crisp, but that isn't necessarily better. It's possible to polish a piece of poop... Mythbusters did that. But that doesn't mean it smells any better... :-P

Lastly, i think we can accept music_4321 into the officialety club now. He's passed initiation. Lmao
Edited by luisdent - 9/9/13 at 6:37pm
post #2475 of 4659

I just ordered a new P - S adapter cable off Ebay for $15 including shipping.  Much better than the retail $49 + ship.  We'll see what actually turns up in the mail.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...