Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 160

post #2386 of 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

Just spray some WD40 up on those babies!

Castrol Syntec makes the sound travel faster!

post #2387 of 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post
 

Castrol Syntec makes the sound travel faster!

 

For any children or highly gullible members on this forum we are completely joking! ;)

post #2388 of 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post
 

 

For any children or highly gullible members on this forum we are completely joking! ;)

ooops, Had not considered that one:eek:

 

Here I was about to tell the Bird Man that proper insertion entails pushing until you feel both tips touch in the centre of your head then backing off just a tad.:veryevil:

post #2389 of 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post
 

ooops, Had not considered that one:eek:

 

Here I was about to tell the Bird Man that proper insertion entails pushing until you feel both tips touch in the centre of your head then backing off just a tad.:veryevil:

 

 

Haha.  Pretty close though...

post #2390 of 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post
 

 

 

As a general info post here. If you are of the school who moistens the tips (ie your ears are that clean their is no "natural lubricant") Wal Mart sells pure Aloe Vera, uncolored for about 5 bucks a bottle. About half a drop on a fingertip is enough to moisten both tips enough for insertion.

 

Or you can just use the small frost tips. That's what I do they work fine for me although I guess they aren't the tightest seal. 

post #2391 of 4657

If I need to, I simply breath on them with hot breath.  Say "HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" and hold them in front of your open mouth.  That really should be enough.

post #2392 of 4657

The Reference King (aka the ER-4S) & the King of Incoherence, Bloated Bass and Awful Harsh and Grainy Treble (aka the AKG K3003).

 

post #2393 of 4657

I have Elaein Otoferm earcream with the ACS custom tips. Good Stuff!

post #2394 of 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post
 

The Reference King (aka the ER-4S) & the King of Incoherence, Bloated Bass and Awful Harsh and Grainy Treble (aka the AKG K3003).

 

 

Could be the Violectric V200, only works well with some transducers, T5p is crippled by it, so to may be the K3003. 

post #2395 of 4657

Random thoughts and initial impressions after 30 mins with the ER-4S.

 

  • I'm impressed. I'm very impressed.
  • No lubricant needed… of any sort.
  • Fit wasn't as nightmarish as I was fearing. Not the most comfy IEM, but not that uncomfortable, really. I'm pretty sure I'd soon get used to the fit / deeeep insertion. Really wish I'd tried these IEMs years ago.
  • Cable is indeed microphonic, but not horrendously microphonic.
  • Treble is not as harsh / piercing / hot as I thought it might be. In fact, these IEMs have absolutely wonderful treble.
  • Lovely clear midrange, seriously, seriously good.
  • Bass is there! It is there!! And I don't need to look for it. This is not how I remember the FitEar F111's bass (the latter being a bit leaner, this perhaps due to the different fit I got with the FitEars, but not so sure about that). I could do with a bit more bass, though, on the 4S, but literally just a tad, but for the most part I'm almost shocked to hear how good and clean the low-end sounds; and it does have pretty good extension, to these ears, it just isn't enhanced / bloated.
  • A 5-min session with my 4G Touch also proved better than I expected for the volume levels I tend to listen at — I can crank it up if I want to, no need to get to the last step (16) on the volume slider / external volume buttons, 11/12 being pretty loud for me, 13 already too loud.
  • These isolate more than my customs (Westone ES3X).
  • The 4S doesn't sound claustrophobic at all to these ears, absolutely no complaints there. The subject of the perception of soundstage is an interesting one—one where often people report perceiving it differently, sometimes way too differently.
  • I don't remember enjoying the F111s this much or thinking so highly of them as I'm currently thinking of the ER-4S.

 

Am I an ER-4S fanboy now? Perhaps not a fanboy, but these Etys are definitely keepers and I now fully understand why these IEMs have been around for 20+ years and are revered / praised by so many people. Hats off to Etymotic!


------------------


AJHeadfi, the K3003s sound wonderful through the V200 (guess you don't know music_4321 that well [read: I think the K3003 is a truly great IEM])

post #2396 of 4657

YES!

 

Welcome to the club!

:beerchug:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post
 

Random thoughts and initial impressions after 30 mins with the ER-4S.

 

  • I'm impressed. I'm very impressed.
  • No lubricant needed… of any sort.
  • Fit wasn't as nightmarish as I was fearing. Not the most comfy IEM, but not that uncomfortable, really. I'm pretty sure I'd soon get used to the fit / deeeep insertion. Really wish I'd tried these IEMs years ago.
  • Cable is indeed microphonic, but not horrendously microphonic.
  • Treble is not as harsh / piercing / hot as I thought it might be. In fact, these IEMs have absolutely wonderful treble.
  • Lovely clear midrange, seriously, seriously good.
  • Bass is there! It is there!! And I don't need to look for it. This is not how I remember the FitEar F111's bass (the latter being a bit leaner, this perhaps due to the different fit I got with the FitEars, but not so sure about that). I could do with a bit more bass, though, on the 4S, but literally just a tad, but for the most part I'm almost shocked to hear how good and clean the low-end sounds; and it does have pretty good extension, to these ears, it just isn't enhanced / bloated.
  • A 5-min session with my 4G Touch also proved better than I expected for the volume levels I tend to listen at — I can crank it up if I want to, no need to get to the last step (16) on the volume slider / external volume buttons, 11/12 being pretty loud for me, 13 already too loud.
  • These isolate more than my customs (Westone ES3X).
  • The 4S doesn't sound claustrophobic at all to these ears, absolutely no complaints there. The subject of the perception of soundstage is an interesting one—one where often people report perceiving it differently, sometimes way too differently.
  • I don't remember enjoying the F111s this much or thinking so highly of them as I'm currently thinking of the ER-4S.

 

Am I an ER-4S fanboy now? Perhaps not a fanboy, but these Etys are definitely keepers and I now fully understand why these IEMs have been around for 20+ years and are revered / praised by so many people. Hats off to Etymotic!


------------------


AJHeadfi, the K3003s sound wonderful through the V200 (guess you don't know music_4321 that well [read: I think the K3003 is a truly great IEM])

post #2397 of 4657

After about 2.5 hrs...

 

I have to be completely honest: the ER-4S is a superb IEM. Without a doubt one of the finest phones I've ever heard — how on earth did I wait nearly 15 years to try this absolutely remarkable phone? There is something very, very true about how these IEMs render music—a little unassuming but very, very faithful to what you throw at them. I still prefer the K3003 & Parterre personally (for a couple of reasons) but, do my $1,300 K3003 & $900 Parterres blow the ER4S out of the water? No. A most resounding NO, not by a very long shot. I would need to do some proper A/B'ing between the 4S and the FI-BA-SS, but right this minute I cannot honestly say I prefer the $1,000 FI-BA-SS, a phone I love, over the $300 ER4S (I do prefer the fit, non-microphonic cable & design of the SS, but sonically I really don't know at this stage).

 

I need to point out that the very little bass lift I might like on the 4S would be mostly in the sub-bass region and perhaps—only perhaps—a tiny, tiny bit more mid-bass, but, in all honesty, I really love the way these Etys sound the way they do, so I think a bigger part of me really wants to leave these fine IEMs practically unchanged. No red / orange / yellow or whatever colour filters there may out there be for me, TBH, though I'm indeed curious to hear the (small / subtle) sonic changes these filters bring to the table.

 

The ER4S, to these ears, is a masterpiece. Period. I'd call the ER4S the HD600 of IEMs, an IEM every so-called audiophile must try/own — like the HD600, the ER4S' price can be quite misleading, specially these days. I own the HD800 and the HD600 and I don't believe the latter blows the former out of the water even if I do prefer the 800s, but only by a small margin (the 800s also being extraordinarily comfortable, a serious issue, ergonomics, I've always had with full-sized phones).

 

EDIT: Oh, and I'd easily take the ER4S over the $1,350 FitEar TG334 & $1,000 Senn IE800.


Edited by music_4321 - 9/6/13 at 7:44am
post #2398 of 4657
Yep, I felt the same way regarding why I waited so long to try ER4S. Mine won't be going anywhere quickly and are embedded down there in my signature for a reason. Enjoy them.
post #2399 of 4657
There are a lot of myths about Etys (discomfort, lack of bass, harshness etc.) but in majority once someone tries Etys usually he/she stays with them for a longer period of time.

I love my ER4s sound signature and I'm currently looking for CIEMs which will be as close as possible to it.
post #2400 of 4657
They're like the Bob Marley or Jimmy Hendrix of IEMs. Living legends...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...