Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 149

post #2221 of 4659

Son of a biscuit eater!  I went to put a dummy sale through mouser.com and the green filters are in stock now!  I called to make sure they "really" were, and they are ready to ship!

 

I'm going to assume those who wanted greens and cancelled them will want them again.  If not, just let me know.  Otherwise, I can't see why you wouldn't, so I'll send your total with the greens included.

post #2222 of 4659

Also, the faster you make your payments the more likely they'll all be in stock when I go to purchase them. :-P  

post #2223 of 4659

O.k.  I'll send out payments asap.  I won't ask you to tell me that this is correct.  Rather, please verify if there are any errors and let me know the error(s).  I'll send a message with these totals and my paypal address shortly.  I just want to make sure it looks correct...  Sorry if I have a geeky spreadsheet.  What can I say... :-P

 

 


Edited by luisdent - 8/20/13 at 3:46pm
post #2224 of 4659
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Closest I've heard is the f111 by fitear, but it is almost more fit/tip dependent than the freaking er4s.  I find it very hard to consistently get the perfect fit, but when I do it's like a more 3d easier to listen to er4s.  The er4s still beats it technically in the treble, but with the perfect fit it's extremely close and better in every other way except isolation and price. :-P

 

Technically or for your taste?

post #2225 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

Technically or for your taste?

 

That's actually a very good questions.  I'm not sure.  I "think" technically.  But "every other way" was probably a bit of an exaggeration.

 

In saying that, I mean that based on my understanding of sound they seem more realistic and presented correctly.  Whether everyone agrees I can't say.  However, to me they are more believably "real".  The presentation allows you to hear separation better, that is technical as far as I would think.  I simply don't hear the level of separation and details in that regard with my er4s.  Frequencies being equal or not, I notice more distinction in things that the er4s doesn't show.  A guitar playing with an orchestra stands out as being in a real room and easy to hear, no matter the frequencies.  The er4s (comparatively) sounds more like the guitar is "mixed in" with the other music making it hard to focus on the guitar's finer details on it's own, again relatively speaking.

 

Stereo width is wider.  I don't know what is technically "correct" with width, but the wider width sounds better to me, because again it allows instruments to stand on their own more believably with space between them.

 

The frequencies are smoother and easier to listen to, again signatures being equal (with eq) or not, they are simply not as fatiguing for lack of better words.  They don't require as deep insertion, even when putting them in deeper than they are probably designed for.  That is at least a little more comfort, technically.  However, I do know that the etys can be comfortable as well, but not "as" comfortable.

 

They sound like they preset more depth.  Again, frequency response doesn't seem to matter.  I hear "into" the room and almost "past" the instruments if you try.  Things sound more believably real in that sense, as though the instruments are really in a room that you are really listening to.  That's a lot of reallys.  :-P

 

I think stock, the er4s is technically better frequency response, even with the perfect f111 fit.  They also boast better isolation and probably durability.  They sound amazing and I'm not getting rid of mine probably ever.  And I'm also probably not buying the f111.  If they were the same price and fit wasn't an issue I'd have a pair yesterday.

 

So, perhaps I spoke a little to literally, but I think most people that hear them will agree they improve upon most areas of the er4s, while being warmer with a normal fit.  The lacking treble is pretty much perfected with the perfect fit, however, this is very hard to consistently achieve.  So, whatever you make of that. :-)  Otherwise, technically, they seem very similar with distortion being non-existent audibly.  However, the f111 is more prone to noise from the sensitivity.  However, that is based on the amp.  I have one amp that is silent with them and my fuze has a low noise floor with them.  They are both really smooth with the frequency responses they have.  No spikes detectable.  The sensitivity gives the f111 an advantage for portable use while not really sacrificing anything with a good amp...


Edited by luisdent - 8/20/13 at 6:03pm
post #2226 of 4659

Anyone compare the er4 with fill sized cans like the akg k601?

post #2227 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

Anyone compare the er4 with fill sized cans like the akg k601?
I've compared the hd600
post #2228 of 4659
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

 

That's actually a very good questions.  I'm not sure.  I "think" technically.  But "every other way" was probably a bit of an exaggeration.

 

In saying that, I mean that based on my understanding of sound they seem more realistic and presented correctly.  Whether everyone agrees I can't say.  However, to me they are more believably "real".  The presentation allows you to hear separation better, that is technical as far as I would think.  I simply don't hear the level of separation and details in that regard with my er4s.  Frequencies being equal or not, I notice more distinction in things that the er4s doesn't show.  A guitar playing with an orchestra stands out as being in a real room and easy to hear, no matter the frequencies.  The er4s (comparatively) sounds more like the guitar is "mixed in" with the other music making it hard to focus on the guitar's finer details on it's own, again relatively speaking.

 

Stereo width is wider.  I don't know what is technically "correct" with width, but the wider width sounds better to me, because again it allows instruments to stand on their own more believably with space between them.

 

The frequencies are smoother and easier to listen to, again signatures being equal (with eq) or not, they are simply not as fatiguing for lack of better words.  They don't require as deep insertion, even when putting them in deeper than they are probably designed for.  That is at least a little more comfort, technically.  However, I do know that the etys can be comfortable as well, but not "as" comfortable.

 

They sound like they preset more depth.  Again, frequency response doesn't seem to matter.  I hear "into" the room and almost "past" the instruments if you try.  Things sound more believably real in that sense, as though the instruments are really in a room that you are really listening to.  That's a lot of reallys.  :-P

 

I think stock, the er4s is technically better frequency response, even with the perfect f111 fit.  They also boast better isolation and probably durability.  They sound amazing and I'm not getting rid of mine probably ever.  And I'm also probably not buying the f111.  If they were the same price and fit wasn't an issue I'd have a pair yesterday.

 

So, perhaps I spoke a little to literally, but I think most people that hear them will agree they improve upon most areas of the er4s, while being warmer with a normal fit.  The lacking treble is pretty much perfected with the perfect fit, however, this is very hard to consistently achieve.  So, whatever you make of that. :-)  Otherwise, technically, they seem very similar with distortion being non-existent audibly.  However, the f111 is more prone to noise from the sensitivity.  However, that is based on the amp.  I have one amp that is silent with them and my fuze has a low noise floor with them.  They are both really smooth with the frequency responses they have.  No spikes detectable.  The sensitivity gives the f111 an advantage for portable use while not really sacrificing anything with a good amp...

 

Interesting. Are you sure that you are driving ER4S to its full potential though? What sources and amps are you using? ER4 is known to scale really well. I wonder if F111 scales as well. There's also the issue of synergy - I am sure that some sources will fit F111 better than ER4S and vice versa.

post #2229 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

Interesting. Are you sure that you are driving ER4S to its full potential though? What sources and amps are you using? ER4 is known to scale really well. I wonder if F111 scales as well. There's also the issue of synergy - I am sure that some sources will fit F111 better than ER4S and vice versa.
yes, i have many amps. It sounds better with a good amp, but it's pretty consistent between all of my nicer amps and even my portable c5.
post #2230 of 4659
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

Anyone compare the er4 with fill sized cans like the akg k601?

 

I have ER4 P/S, HE-500 and HD650. ER4P doesn't compare well to the others with a somewhat odd tonal balance and a pretty serious lack of treble resolution and energy compared to the others. ER4S is much better technically than the P version IMO and does give the full sized cans a run for their money IMO. I think that with the proper fit, ER4S outperforms HD650 easily in many areas, especially in the treble, with a lot more clarity and micro detail. Bass and soundstage are more realistic on the full sized cans though. ER4S may even beat HE-500 in some areas, like treble resolution and bass definition, but HE-500 is a cut above overall if driven properly IMO, and obviously should be, considering the massive price difference between the two. In its price range the ER4S rules the roost though IMO - I simply can't think of an overall better sounding headphone for anywhere near its price. There are good alternatives like HD600/650 or AKG Q/K701/2 that can match the ER4 in many ways and beat it in some aspects, but they can't beat ER4S overall to my ears. ER4S runs circles around the Senns and AKGs in treble resolution, offers almost unbeatable midrange linearity and transparency. and probably the tightest bass you can possibly get, although a bit lacking in depth and impact.


Edited by Pianist - 8/20/13 at 9:43pm
post #2231 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

 

I have ER4 P/S, HE-500 and HD650. ER4P doesn't compare well to the others with a somewhat odd tonal balance and a pretty serious lack of treble resolution and energy compared to the others. ER4S is much better technically than the P version IMO and does give the full sized cans a run for their money IMO. I think that with the proper fit, ER4S outperforms HD650 easily in many areas, especially in the treble, with a lot more clarity and micro detail. Bass and soundstage are more realistic on the full sized cans though. ER4S may even beat HE-500 in some areas, like treble resolution and bass definition, but HE-500 is a cut above overall if driven properly IMO, and obviously should be, considering the massive price difference between the two. In its price range the ER4S rules the roost though IMO - I simply can't think of an overall better sounding headphone for anywhere near its price. There are good alternatives like HD600/650 or AKG Q/K701/2 that can match the ER4 in many ways and beat it in some aspects, but they can't beat ER4S overall to my ears. ER4S runs circles around the Senns and AKGs in treble resolution, offers almost unbeatable midrange linearity and transparency. and probably the tightest bass you can possibly get, although a bit lacking in depth and impact.

 

Absolutely agree on all of those points.  The hd600 is awesome,  but the isolation is non-existent which sucks.  The treble isn't as smooth sounding as my er4s and the er4s bass is more accurate sounding although as you say not as realistic in sound.  The akg is ok, but the 702 treble was a bit fatiguing for me.  It's just too uneven higher up.  Linearity in frequency response, tightness, isolation, durability... er4s can't be beat at its price.  Value wise, er4s can't be beat by practically anything in my opinion.  However, while they aren't "better" earphones.  I do think the f111 is better in many ways, while the er4s is better in many ways.  I think they compliment each other.  I just wish one took the best of the other and combined them. :-P

post #2232 of 4659

So the ER4PT using the included adapter would be exactly like the ER4S right? If that is so then that may be what I will get. It will be a good headphone for portable and for home use for the same price as the er4s

post #2233 of 4659
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

So the ER4PT using the included adapter would be exactly like the ER4S right? If that is so then that may be what I will get. It will be a good headphone for portable and for home use for the same price as the er4s

Yes.

post #2234 of 4659

lusident, maybe I'm wrong but as I'm browsing the net I find that Fitear f111 is universal IEM and I was asking about Custom IEMs which could be regarded as having similar sound signature to Etys ER4.

post #2235 of 4659

I believe fitear does custom IEMs, or did originally.

 

Have you read any reviews on the JH13?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...