Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 125

post #1861 of 4784

post #1862 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Funny, but I actually read impressions from guys who heard them at meets, and they said they sounded like crap.


The impression I get harkens to mind the Futurama episode with the Neutral planet. "Grey Alert"

post #1863 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


The impression I get harkens to mind the Futurama episode with the Neutral planet. "Grey Alert"

 

*beige.  wink_face.giftongue.gif

post #1864 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

*beige.  wink_face.giftongue.gif


Ah, just so. biggrin.gif

post #1865 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

For me they have to go very deep, past the second bend to sound correct. Hopefully that works for you. Also the triflange I cut was the grey stock one, not white if that makes a difference.

 

Deeeeeeeeep.  Mine were the grey as well.  I even cut off the back (largest) flange on a pair and tried those.  They are much easier to get deeper for me, and I have an issue where the largest flanges get all warped because of my ear shape so they can cause sealing issues (why i use foams now).  But cutting the biggest flange off requires more care with insertion and has its own seal issues if you're not doing it carefully.  It didn't really improve anything though.

 

I could never get them deep enough.  In the end I resorted to EQ to cure the problem with the resonance caused by inadequate insertion and inadequate bass:


Thankfully Neutron on android can handle such a simple parametric EQ profile (it only has 2 peaking bands and 2 shelf bands) so that's what I've been using to play my music on the go.

post #1866 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

 

Link?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57590458-47/with-the-cardas-em5813-in-ear-headphones-just-got-a-lot-better/

 

And two pages on headfi...todd r has a pair now but seems to be sitting on writing a review. 

post #1867 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_hokkaido View Post

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57590458-47/with-the-cardas-em5813-in-ear-headphones-just-got-a-lot-better/

And two pages on headfi...todd r has a pair now but seems to be sitting on writing a review. 

Guttenberg? Eh... No thanks. His reviews are bit too spiritual for me. He says he likes it but can't give any actual reason aside from apologetics: "it's not as accurate and has more bass than the UE900 but..."

And more bass than the UE900? There is a 20dB difference between 3k and 500Hz on that iem.
post #1868 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post


Guttenberg? Eh... No thanks. His reviews are bit too spiritual for me. He says he likes it but can't give any actual reason aside from apologetics: "it's not as accurate and has more bass than the UE900 but..."

And more bass than the UE900? There is a 20dB difference between 3k and 500Hz on that iem.

 

 

I don't always agree with his reviews.  But to each his own.


Edited by luisdent - 6/27/13 at 1:34pm
post #1869 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

 

I could never get them deep enough.  In the end I resorted to EQ to cure the problem with the resonance caused by inadequate insertion and inadequate bass:


Thankfully Neutron on android can handle such a simple parametric EQ profile (it only has 2 peaking bands and 2 shelf bands) so that's what I've been using to play my music on the go.

 

Wow, -10db at 7.8kz?  That seems drastic to me.  The bass seems reasonable, but also a tad high if you're going for complete accuracy (that might not be your taste).  But I realize it could be due to the insertion depth issues.  Have you tried any of my previous suggestions?

 

The thing that I find helps most is screwing them into your ears like, well, a screw.  Really spin them.  Not fast, but rotate them fully 360 degrees.  Once you start getting deep or hitting the wall of the ear canal there are two things to note.  First, pulling up on the earlobe, or better yet the bone under the earlobe, helps straighten the canal.  Second, your canal actually bends backwards typically, so as you hit resistance, continue to screw the earphone while pushing the earphone body forward, causing the nozzle to tilt backward a bit and also upward a tad.  If you're screwing them in calmly and wiggling the angle here and there to try and get it right they should go pretty deep.

 

I find the silicon go in deeper, but not as comfortable at first (you get used to it, really).  The foam goes in past the second bend for me and is easier and more comfortable, but the expansion makes it hard to get it much deeper comfortably for me.  But past the sound bend with the foam sounds as good as the deepest with the silicon for me.

 

I'll be making a video on this.  I figure I might as well do it anyway if it helps anyone.  I'll let you know when it's posted. :-)

 

If you've done all of this already, then just disregard this message. :-P

post #1870 of 4784
I just ordered a pair of er4s from Amazon. The seller is alexcious, however it is fulfilled and shipped by Amazon. Does this mean it is Amazom stock or that the seller shipped it to amazon?

Are there any fake er4s? If so what should I be looking for? Hopefully it comes in the USA package as opposed to Japan it should be easier to identify that way I would think if there are fakes.
post #1871 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post

I just ordered a pair of er4s from Amazon. The seller is alexcious, however it is fulfilled and shipped by Amazon. Does this mean it is Amazom stock or that the seller shipped it to amazon?

Are there any fake er4s? If so what should I be looking for? Hopefully it comes in the USA package as opposed to Japan it should be easier to identify that way I would think if there are fakes.

 

I think I remember somewhere that you can check the serial with etymotic or something?  I don't "think" there are a lot of fake er4s.  I'm not sure what fulfilled means exactly to amazon, but I do know it usually means they take all of the support, returns, etc. if you have problems.  Usually.

post #1872 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post

I just ordered a pair of er4s from Amazon. The seller is alexcious, however it is fulfilled and shipped by Amazon. Does this mean it is Amazom stock or that the seller shipped it to amazon?

Are there any fake er4s? If so what should I be looking for? Hopefully it comes in the USA package as opposed to Japan it should be easier to identify that way I would think if there are fakes.

 

If its accuracy doesn't pierce your very soul then you'll know they're fake.

post #1873 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

If its accuracy doesn't pierce your very soul then you'll know they're fake.

Agree with this, there's no way not to blown away by the detail of ER4S.
post #1874 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Agree with this, there's no way not to blown away by the detail of ER4S.

 

Loving your sig lol. 

post #1875 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

Loving your sig lol. 

Long live the Ety's, amazing people constantly.

I would feel inclined to say that pairing in my sig gives me the most professional or 'matured' sound from all my gear. wink.gif

All I need is a silicone tip that can provide me a similar sound to foam so I'm not chewing through comply constantly. I have a few on order like these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151063654329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...