- 4,130 Posts. Joined 7/2008
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Etymotic ER 4 S vs ER 4 PT Last post on 11/19/13 at 9:17pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Christmas gift for sister who wants best headphones for air travel - getting her Bose QC15 and... Last post on 11/9/13 at 1:34am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Upgrade cables for Etymotic ER-4PT? Last post on 11/12/13 at 5:55am in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- What Schitt Amp to use with Etymotic ER 4S Last post on 10/27/13 at 5:08pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- er4pt Last post on 10/13/13 at 11:07am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/23/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 5/29/13
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
I love these headphones! So comfortable you will forget you're wearing them. My cousin once commented "This is the best bass I've ever heard in a headphone!" While I know there are headphones out...
If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... - Page 85post #1261 of 33434/13/13 at 12:13pmThe ER4's are much tougher build than the other IEM's they make, also your getting something made in the US to much more exacting standards in terms of driver matching.post #1262 of 33434/13/13 at 1:00pmI have or should say the hf2 ..I by accident ran them over with a vacuum lol so they no longer work lol but when they did work they sounded great and I mmiss them now..I should maybe see if I can have them reshelled??Quote:Originally Posted by sheldonkreger
I have a broken pair of HF5s. This is the second pair that has broken, a bit disappointed because I love the sound. However, I'm seriously considering sending them back and having them replaced with the ER4. I can get the ER4 for $180 that way!
"It is not necessary to re-purchase the same earphone or headset product you currently own."
-sheldonpost #1263 of 33434/28/13 at 6:46ampost #1264 of 33434/28/13 at 7:40am
They have a removable cable and you can use an adapter like this one and fit any cable with a Westone type of plug to it.post #1265 of 33434/28/13 at 6:03pm
I've used this adapter (S vesion) with the Moon Audio iem Silver Dragon cables.
1st, The adapter had to be filed down quite a bit so that the sharp corners and edges did not poke my ear (my etys insert very deep).
2nd, The iem Silver Dragon cables that I mated with the adapters were just too bright with the oem (green) filter (for me). I have experimented with all of the filter from green on down, and have found that my ideal combination is the Ety4, S cable adapter, iem Silver Dragon cable, Orange filter and Comply T-100 foamies.
Without the Silver Dragon cable, the Orange filter was too bassy and recessed treble. The iem Silver Dragon restored the upper ranges to very pleasant and enjoyable levels, though, I have sacrificed some of the stock 4S airyness for the full and substantial bass that the Orange filter allows.
I also prefer to mate this combination with the ALO Continental V2 for it's added tubey midrange warmth.post #1266 of 33434/28/13 at 9:21pmpost #1267 of 33434/28/13 at 9:24pmpost #1268 of 33434/29/13 at 7:41am
Thank you for your answers guys. It appears getting another aftermarket cable requires a rather tedious process of filter matching and filing...
How does one order a cable from Etymotic themselves, as they have not got anything on their website....That I can see anyway? Maybe I'm missing it somewhere?post #1269 of 33434/29/13 at 8:27amWhere do you get the different filters from? Straight from etymotic?? I only thought there was the green ones..I really like the sound of them..I myself don't or am not a bass head..but after listening to them for a bit and get a good seal... Which sometimes isn't all that easy with these lol I find them to have lots of bass or low end..I'm not sure I would want to boost up the bass anymore..but I had no idea that there was different filters..and as for the cables..I think that etymotic would or recommends that the owner send them to etymotic to put the cables on for ya..sometime to do with the balancing of the cables with would ulter the sq probably for the worst if you didn't know what you were doing..I have read that on here somewhere in the past...does anyone know this for sure cause I would like to put some different cables on these in the near future and don't want to wreck them..thank you for your help..post #1270 of 33434/29/13 at 8:34am
I cant see why I would have to ship them to the States just so as to put a new cable on?
Taking them off is tricky although requiring a deal of patience. slowly prying them off reveals 2 pins one slightly larger than the other fitting the exact same on the holes on ER4.post #1271 of 33434/29/13 at 9:10amQuote:I can't see it either..that's what I read a while ago..I tried looking for it but can't find it..maybe I read it somewhere else..I'm sorry but are you using the green filters or a different one??. I had no idea there was other color ones..I thought there was the only the green ones.post #1272 of 33434/29/13 at 1:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by pacman46
I can't see it either..that's what I read a while ago..I tried looking for it but can't find it..maybe I read it somewhere else..I'm sorry but are you using the green filters or a different one??. I had no idea there was other color ones..I thought there was the only the green ones.
The info you need is here.post #1273 of 33434/29/13 at 3:59pmpost #1274 of 33434/30/13 at 4:48pmpost #1275 of 33434/30/13 at 5:56pmQuote:
Did you read the filter mod thread? The red filters attenuate the upper mids and treble by about 1dB, and the orange filters a bit more. The effect is slight, and most iems and even top tier customs have a much larger "suckout." Also, looking at the graphs of the different filters I don't see anything I could describe as "jumpy." What are you referring to?Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 46 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 1 minute ago
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › INCREDIBLE!! THE YOUNGER SIBLING OF PROJECT SUNRISE 2--THE NEW... 3 minutes ago
- › Numbers,.... Male vs Female HeadFiers? 3 minutes ago
- › Request for advise on a headphone affair 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi